First time buyer interested in buying 2012 SH-AWD Tech Pkg...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First time buyer interested in buying 2012 SH-AWD Tech Pkg...

Hi everybody!,
I've just stumbled across this forum and I have to say you guys seem very friendly. I've read a few threads since this morning and has me convinced that Acura is the car for my family. Some backstory first, my parents have been leasing with Mercedes-Benz since the 90's and I always hear them complaining about the problems they have with those cars. I think Acura is the total complete package when it comes to value, reliability, and looks. But being this is my first time ever dealing with buying a car I feel like I'm in the dark. I've driven Acura's before and have fell in love with them ever since. My parents have put their trust in me to choose the next family car and I think that the 2012 TL SH-AWD is the one. My parents have shown interest and I have a few questions. How do I find the right TL when dealer inventories do not have the one I want? Do you think any dealerships would help me find one? What I'm looking for is:

A CPO 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Pkg
Crystal Black Pearl Exterior
Ebony Interior
Around 20k miles

TLDR; First time in car buying process. Parents want a new car. I think TL is the way to go. How do I go about this process?

Please feel free to leave any comments or suggestions. Thank you.

-NNRRGG
The following users liked this post:
Packagingpro (07-19-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
First, welcome to AcuraZine.

Second, dollar for dollar-pound for pound, you'll be hard pressed to find a car better than an Acura TL.

Third, I would also check Cars.com and AutoTrader.com for what you're looking for.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
First, welcome to AcuraZine.

Second, dollar for dollar-pound for pound, you'll be hard pressed to find a car better than an Acura TL.

Third, I would also check Cars.com and AutoTrader.com for what you're looking for.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I also agree that the TL just beats the crap out of the competition with their package. I've continued my search online and hopefully I'll manage to find one. Got some help from PyroDave and got me directed towards some recommended dealerships around NYC.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. We had a 2000 S500 and traded it for a new 10 TL Tech for my wife. 10 months later I bought a 12 TL SH-AWD Advance for myself. Love them both. I do miss the S500 very much, but not the maintenance cost. If you go with the TL, you/they will have made a great choice, but your parents may miss the cushy ride of a Benz. What Benz do they normally drive?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by t_herbst
I agree. We had a 2000 S500 and traded it for a new 10 TL Tech for my wife. 10 months later I bought a 12 TL SH-AWD Advance for myself. Love them both. I do miss the S500 very much, but not the maintenance cost. If you go with the TL, you/they will have made a great choice, but your parents may miss the cushy ride of a Benz. What Benz do they normally drive?
We had the 04' ML 350 and then recently had the 08' GL 450. But yeah I agree the luxury of the MB is great but the Acura's aren't too shabby. The mpg and maintenance costs I could live without :-/
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Welcome! I'm also frequently in the NYC area and think it would be a mistake to limit your search only to NY dealerships, I'd drive to NJ/PA, if the price was right. There are deals to be had if you look hard enough.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Is there a reason why you're looking for a '12? You may can get a deal on a new TL since a '12 CPO TL with ~20K miles or less will cost just a few thousand less (not sure how much at the moment, can't pull it up for you) than a new TL @ invoice pricing. Sometimes it's better to go and buy new instead of getting a 1 yr old car of the same model. I know this holds true with the TSX. I've seen many used TSX's with ~20K miles going for almost the same price as invoice on a new one. Not sure about the TL. Acura has great resale.

The best I can tell you is to compare dealers, look online, and compare values in your region. That'll give you insight on what direction you should take. Good luck with your search, and the other replies in this thread was great as well.

Look on cars.com, autotrader.com, KBB.com, edmunds.com etc etc. I like to look at values on edmunds.com you can also see invoice pricing (I can't get to the site at the moment). They seem to be more realistic for my area.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 07-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
NNRRGG (07-20-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Welcome! I'm also frequently in the NYC area and think it would be a mistake to limit your search only to NY dealerships, I'd drive to NJ/PA, if the price was right. There are deals to be had if you look hard enough.
Hey neighbor! And yeah I'm mainly looking at Park Ave and Ramsay in NJ and Curry up in Westchester. Hopefully I can get a great deal.

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Is there a reason why you're looking for a '12? You may can get a deal on a new TL since a '12 CPO TL with ~20K miles or less will cost just a few thousand less (not sure how much at the moment, can't pull it up for you) than a new TL @ invoice pricing. Sometimes it's better to go and buy new instead of getting a 1 yr old car of the same model. I know this holds true with the TSX. I've seen many used TSX's with ~20K miles going for almost the same price as invoice on a new one. Not sure about the TL. Acura has great resale.

The best I can tell you is to compare dealers, look online, and compare values in your region. That'll give you insight on what direction you should take. Good luck with your search, and the other replies in this thread was great as well.

Look on cars.com, autotrader.com, KBB.com, edmunds.com etc etc. I like to look at values on edmunds.com you can also see invoice pricing (I can't get to the site at the moment). They seem to be more realistic for my area.
My end goal is to get a TL CPO or New at 36k. From what the dealerships are offering online for CPO's are at 34k so its right up my alley. But if I see one offering a new TL at 36k, I would jump on that right away. (Any thanks for the edmunds recommendation, I totally forgot about that one. )
Acura_Dude (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Good deal.
NNRRGG (07-20-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

Update!

I've narrowed it down to 3 cars all being CPO. I have scheduled visits to all 3 dealers this week and I hope it goes well for me.

1. 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Auto (CBP) - 14k miles $32,400
2. 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Auto (CBP) - 22k miles $31,847
3. 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Auto (GLM) -6.5k miles $36,995

I got a price quote for an all new 2013 TL for $39,345 so no go for me on the new car buy front. Let me know what you guys think!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Are you financing or paying cash? I ask because if financing most banks charge a higher interest rate for a used car. Also if you shop around interest rates on new cars are super low right now. I understand everyone has financial limitations, but getting a new 13 for that price is a great deal. Otherwise I like your option #3 since it has the least miles.