Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Few Questions Regarding Maintenance Code A123

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Few Questions Regarding Maintenance Code A123

I recently received the A123 maintenance code in my TL, which includes the following:

Rotate tires

Replace air cleaner element
Replace dust and pollen filter
Inspect drive belt

Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid

I already worked out the A part, which only involved an oil change (piece of chocolaty cake). I'm not overly concerned about rotating the tires since I plan on getting 4 new pieces of rubber come November (Chicago winters can be quite brutal).

I feel like everything under #2, I should be able to do myself. However, a few questions about #2:
  1. What is the difference between the "air cleaner element" and the "dust and pollen filter"? I understand that one of them is the cabin air filter. I've found other posts on this forum which explain how to swap this out and it looks super easy. However, what is the other filter the manual is referring to?
  2. How difficult is it to reach the drive belt? Does anyone have any pointers on what I should look for when inspecting the belt?

In addition to all of that, I also have a few questions regarding the transmission and transfer fluid change:
  1. I did my research, but I was unable to find any guides on this forum which explain how to do both fluid changes. Would someone be able to direct me to them? If not, would someone be able to explain how these changes are done?
  2. When replacing either of the fluids, is there a filter that I should also be replacing? If so, how painful is it to replace this filter?

I should have prefaced all of this by saying that I'm not a skilled mechanic by any means, which brings me to this forum to begin with Hence, what I'm hoping to find out is how much of this maintenance code I can do myself and how much of it I may need to take to a mechanic. Any guidance on any of my questions is greatly appreciated
Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Let's see...I'm assuming that you have SH-AWD...the (2) air filters are very easy, just an 8mm driver for the engine :air cleaner element", and a pair of hands for the cabin "dust and pollen" filter. For the rear differential fluid of a SH-AWD, here is a good video on how to, very easy to do, here is a link to a video

For the transmission, it's a little harder to do, but not impossible for a DIY, here is the video

The filters for the transmission fluid are designed for the life of the car, no changing should be required.
The following users liked this post:
BIGxRED (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dainmezron
Let's see...I'm assuming that you have SH-AWD...the (2) air filters are very easy, just an 8mm driver for the engine :air cleaner element", and a pair of hands for the cabin "dust and pollen" filter. For the rear differential fluid of a SH-AWD, here is a good video on how to, very easy to do, here is a link to a video

Replacing Rear Differential Fluid - Acura TL 4th gen SH-AWD - YouTube

For the transmission, it's a little harder to do, but not impossible for a DIY, here is the video

2009- 2012 acura tl transmission change - YouTube

The filters for the transmission fluid are designed for the life of the car, no changing should be required.
Wow, replacing the engine air filter looks almost too easy. I'll have to think about doing the transmission fluid replacement. Looks like a more involved process than I'd hope it to be.

Regarding the rear differential fluid: I would think the transfer fluid is different than the rear differential fluid, isn't it? If you look at the owner's manual, the transfer fluid is shown as a 3 whereas the rear differential fluid is shown as a 6.

You are right my friend, I have a SH-AWD

Any ideas on what the transfer fluid might be? Or is it really the rear differential fluid?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, the transfer case is up by the transmission, I couldn't find a video or picture specific to our TL, but I am going to Acura tomorrow and I will ask them about it. The OEM fluid for the transfer assembly is Acura or Honda HGO-1 Hypoid Gear Oil GL-5 75W-85.
The following users liked this post:
BIGxRED (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dainmezron
Yes, the transfer case is up by the transmission, I couldn't find a video or picture specific to our TL, but I am going to Acura tomorrow and I will ask them about it. The OEM fluid for the transfer assembly is Acura or Honda HGO-1 Hypoid Gear Oil GL-5 75W-85.
Dude, you rock, thanks! Do you know how different the third generation TLs are to ours? My hope is that maybe the overall procedure wouldn't be different between the generations just some slight differences (torque settings, amount of fluid, etc.).

I'm going to start a separate thread on the 4th gen forums and see if anyone else has any knowledge. I think the title of this thread is too vague to make anyone aware of the transfer case.