Exterior Color Choice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Exterior Color Choice...

I was very impressed with the Mayan Bronze. It's a color you don't see every day and it looked very elegant to me. But then I was thinking of the black as a "can't miss" choice.

I'd like to get the umber leather in either one as I'll be getting the SH-AWD w/ Tech.

Any thoughts on exterior color selection?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Grigio! It's the best of both worlds (black and grey). Looks good with either ebony or umber interior, though I personally prefer ebony.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I was very impressed with the Mayan Bronze. It's a color you don't see every day and it looked very elegant to me. But then I was thinking of the black as a "can't miss" choice.

I'd like to get the umber leather in either one as I'll be getting the SH-AWD w/ Tech.

Any thoughts on exterior color selection?
MAYAN is my personal fav. I used to own that, and I loved it. It's a rich color and it's easier to clean that straight black too .
Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Instructor

I test drove a black with umber. It was pretty sharp. Although, for me, black on black is the ultimate class choice (I have Palladium Metallic with Ebony which I love, I just couldn't commit to another black car...) The Mayan Bronze was just too brown IMHO. (but with an umber interior, could be nice...)
Old 02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced

The black is the king of colors and its awesome on the TL but man you will hate your life from the scratches & scrawl "it needs special care", So I suggest the Mayan Bronze its decent and luxury.
Good luck
Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by hydr0
Grigio! It's the best of both worlds (black and grey). Looks good with either ebony or umber interior, though I personally prefer ebony.
Agreed, I came close to getting a Grigo ove rUmber, very hot compbo and with grill painted it was very noce, just am too afraid of darker colors in trying to keep them clean.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
Agreed, I came close to getting a Grigo ove rUmber, very hot compbo and with grill painted it was very noce, just am too afraid of darker colors in trying to keep them clean.
Keith,
I'm interested in getting your "read" on this thread. Do we have anything to worry about?

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/paint-flaws-705520/
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I think that apart from Grigio, Polished Metal Metalic and Borealis Blue look pretty hot too. Oh, and the Diamond White Pearl is not bad looking either :-)
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Keith,
I'm interested in getting your "read" on this thread. Do we have anything to worry about?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705520
I'm no expert, but I am picky on cars and paint. I have walekd away from cars with mintor pait belmishes or anything that looks liek re-paint. The truth is minor repairs happen all the time. Here in GA I beleive the legal limit is $1500 in repairs before the dealer has to disclose it!! I saw a show once where they were showing the cars coming into the port and how the exotic makers hand inspect cars at the port and repair them there before shipping to dealers. In the end it is what you notice and are willing to accept. I was looking at another make before I got my 4G TL and was all set to get the car, when I went to pick it up they had scratched the bumper. They gave me loaner for 2 days begging me to let them fix it. When went back sure 99% of people woudl never know they touched up front bumper, but I could see some over spray and feel it so I walked and I was going to lease! I already found a small pit in the fron bu,per and snother small one in the deck lid spoiler on my 4G, but oh well. Cars are drivern on the raods in all sorts of harsh considtion so we do the best we can. Some people don't care too much as to what their car looks like, I nit pick it as best I can to keep it looking great entire time.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
I'm no expert, but I am picky on cars and paint. I have walekd away from cars with mintor pait belmishes or anything that looks liek re-paint. The truth is minor repairs happen all the time. Here in GA I beleive the legal limit is $1500 in repairs before the dealer has to disclose it!! I saw a show once where they were showing the cars coming into the port and how the exotic makers hand inspect cars at the port and repair them there before shipping to dealers. In the end it is what you notice and are willing to accept. I was looking at another make before I got my 4G TL and was all set to get the car, when I went to pick it up they had scratched the bumper. They gave me loaner for 2 days begging me to let them fix it. When went back sure 99% of people woudl never know they touched up front bumper, but I could see some over spray and feel it so I walked and I was going to lease! I already found a small pit in the fron bu,per and snother small one in the deck lid spoiler on my 4G, but oh well. Cars are drivern on the raods in all sorts of harsh considtion so we do the best we can. Some people don't care too much as to what their car looks like, I nit pick it as best I can to keep it looking great entire time.
When I took delivery I looked at the paint at various angles. I ran my hand over the rear and side panels. It looked fine. Now I read this thread about several brand new Palladium colored TL's having paint flaws, and I'm all paranoid. Like you, I care about keeping my cars clean, and looking good. (obsessive/compulsive more like...) I am a Zaino "cult" member. Man, I did not want to read this. This is the second post that I have read today indicating that Acuras have "paint problems." After reading your posts and seeing how nice you keep your car, I just thought that I would ask for your opinion about the chances of this being a general Palladium problem. Thanks...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

If your car looks good and you have felt the paint and it feels good and looks good I woudl not worry. The odd that your car had major paint work is not likely. Enjoy the car!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Grigio with Umber is awesome. I can't wait to pick mine up.

Chrisp0410
Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go with Mayan. It's a great color and you don't see it every day. I almost went with that but decided that I lighter color would not show dirt as much. In the northeast where I live, it's impossible to keep a car clean for more than 24 hours, November through March.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
The Mayan is a very rich color. The picture above is really nice.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr. Honda F1 is right. The Crystal Black Pearl is a bitch to keep looking good. I've turned into a detailer in the past two months. What used to be trivial is now a mission to keep this girl in showroom condition. The CBP and Ebony interior IMO is so sick. There's something about black cars, I don't know? Wavehogger's ride looks great, as does CRXB's and Brandon's White. If you go with anything other than black, make sure you have a AWD, as the FWD off colors don't look as good IMO. I think it's the rims that ruin the FWD overall regardless of paint.

Also to note, don't let the dealership wash your car! After my detailers finished the job, it looked better than showroom, and the dealer will mess it up.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I also think that CBP looks best on the new TL. That's what really pulled me to this car...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Another vote for CBP with Umber. When I first saw my SH-AWD in the combo, I fell in love with it. I would recommend that you get the Clear-Bra installed though if you go with CBP or any of the darker colors
Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mixed feelings on the clear bra, I guess it depends on where you live. The factors for me it little chips in the paint, which I have already, and paint matching down the line when the bra comes off. CBP and umber is sick too!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

A friend of mine had that clear stick-on plastic "bra" on a 2005 G35x. The car was black and he was worried about paint chips in New England's winters. Well, it looked very trick when he first got it. About two years later, you can see, very clearly, where the plastic ends and the exposed metal begins. He ended up taking it off and it damaged paint in a couple of places. What a mess. And for what it costs, I'd rather repaint my nose then deal with it.

I just picked up my 4G TL Grigio/Umber SH-AWD last night, during a short snow storm. It was beautiful until salt spray hit it! Oh well, the dealership wrote me an IOU for a full detailing once the winter is over.

So, +1 on Grigio/Umber.

Chrisp0410