Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is everyone waiting for the SH-AWD TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLorNotTL
SH-AWD + TECH package will $43k MSRP (where do you get over 50?)...
MSRP is US$42,235 to be precise.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
MSRP is US$42,235 to be precise.
+760(delivery) = 42,995

still an amazing price for what you get IMO. i'm not sure why people think this is priced too high. car prices rise as per the norm, and with the added features... you can throw it up again Infiniti/BMW all day long, but you won't get the reliability that Acura provides.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rather get the 2011 NSX over the butt ugly new TL. The NSX will be worth waiting for!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CleanCL
what makes my comment invalid and the acura salesman's valid? have YOU driven the awd model? how do YOU know? i've driven the 3.5L RL AWD and the GS350 AWD. the GS350 is almost indentical in power and weight as the 4G TL AWD. i also drove the FWD 4G TL. i'll let you guess which one 'felt' faster.
I also test drove a GS350 AWD......for about $10K more than my FWD 4TL, It felt marginally faster.......No thanks......if I'm spending that kind of money, I'd buy a true sports sedan like a fully-loaded BMW 335i (or a slightly used M3).
Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Waiting for the 2010 SH-AWD.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Mpunk
Obviously I haven't driven the G37 sedan or the 7-speed transmission but the 5AT in the G35 had absolutely no issues. My 3G TL 6MT has absolutely no vibration either, but when I test drove an '07 G35S sedan 6MT and an '08 G37 6MT coupe back-to-back, the shifter was vibrating like a dildo! It got super annoying during both test drives. I don't know how much I could tolerate it if I had bought either. It's too bad that Nissan didn't upgrade the torque because even the IS350 has higher torque numbers. It's a really good engine line, the VQ, I just don't know how come Nissan spent all its attention on the hp numbers and nothing else.
lol yeaaa! I found out this problem while watching one of the best motoring videos in which it was comparing the RX8, S2k, 330ci, and G35c. The camera is mounted on the roof so that you can see the driver, the shifter, and the front windshield. And when they were testing the G35...I was so shocked by that shifter vibration...i didn't notice that problem at all on the other cars.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PetesTL
I also test drove a GS350 AWD......for about $10K more than my FWD 4TL, It felt marginally faster.......No thanks......if I'm spending that kind of money, I'd buy a true sports sedan like a fully-loaded BMW 335i (or a slightly used M3).
i'm not recommending to buy a 350 awd over the FWD TL. i'm just saying the 350 awd will probably perform similarly to the awd TL, and by that it will outperform a FWD TL. sport and sedan should never be put into the same category though many people like to do it.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I am waiting for the SH-AWD; still driving my '00 TL until then.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Did you read the Edmunds review of the SH-AWD + MT?

i'm not recommending to buy a 350 awd over the FWD TL. i'm just saying the 350 awd will probably perform similarly to the awd TL, and by that it will outperform a FWD TL. sport and sedan should never be put into the same category though many people like to do it.
I think that you may be partly right if you are just looking at 0-60 numbers. However, performance is so much more than that. In fact, the recent Edmunds review of the 2010 SH-AWD + 6MT showed that the TL really was better than any of its competitors in the performance category, including some tough competitors too! I suggest that you take a look at that article and you may just change your mind.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't understand why you would compare a Lexus GS350 AWD to a TL in the first place. Do you have any idea what these cars cost? A Lexus GS 350 AWD STARTS at over $44K....well above what a loaded TL SH-AWD tops out at. Once you start to add options (NAV, etc) to equip it similarly to a TL, the Lexus will sticker over $51K! How the GS performs against the TL becomes irrelevant at this point because they no longer compete in the same class. Now going back to an earlier argument....I have no doubt the SH-AWD version will outhandle the FWD, esp. when the road gets twisty.....but given the extra weight and from what I heard from those who have actually driven the cars, the SH-AWD TL isn't that much faster than the FWD version. Preliminary numbers from Acura say about 0.3-0.4 sec faster from 0-60 in AWD version, but we'll have to wait and see what the actual numbers are from real world testing.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro

...if I'm spending that kind of money, I'd buy a true sports sedan like a fully-loaded BMW 335i...
...and pay for exorbitant repair costs starting in September 2012 -- right after the "BMW Ultimate Service" expires.

I'm sure repairing those failing twin-turbos will be a real bargain.

No thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

...and pay for exorbitant repair costs starting in September 2012 -- right after the "BMW Ultimate Service" expires.

I'm sure repairing those failing twin-turbos will be a real bargain.

No thanks.
I lease all my cars and get rid of them every 2-3 years ...........never need to wait for a headache.

Last edited by PetesTL; 10-07-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Pro

I lease all my cars and get rid of them every 2-3 years ...........never need to wait for a headache.
Reliability should not be a factor in your decision-making then.

Any car will hold together during that short time period.

Go for another BMW and let the next poor *bastid* pay the the repair bills.

Last edited by S2000 Driver; 10-07-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Reliability should not be a factor in your decision-making then.

Any car will hold together during that short time period.

Go for a 335i and let the next poor *bastid* pay the the repair bills.

Of course reliability is a factor....when I leased a 2002 BMW X5, it was plagued with all sorts of minor, but irritating electrical problems. It didn't cost me anything to repair them, but the inconvenience and time lost taking the car back and forth to the dealer was aggravating. I hope my 4G stays problem-free for the next couple years during my lease......and from the research I've done on prior G TL's, I'm not worried.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro

...when I leased a 2002 BMW X5, it was plagued with all sorts of minor, but irritating electrical problems. It didn't cost me anything to repair them, but the inconvenience and time lost taking the car back and forth to the dealer was aggravating...
How sad.

Who in their right mind would knowingly tolerate unreliability like that -- let alone pay a hefty premium for the privilege?

Apparently, it's not only Range Rover people who let prestige trump common sense.

Last edited by S2000 Driver; 10-07-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't understand why you would compare a Lexus GS350 AWD to a TL in the first place. Do you have any idea what these cars cost? A Lexus GS 350 AWD STARTS at over $44K....well above what a loaded TL SH-AWD tops out at. Once you start to add options (NAV, etc) to equip it similarly to a TL, the Lexus will sticker over $51K! How the GS performs against the TL becomes irrelevant at this point because they no longer compete in the same class. Now going back to an earlier argument....I have no doubt the SH-AWD version will outhandle the FWD, esp. when the road gets twisty.....but given the extra weight and from what I heard from those who have actually driven the cars, the SH-AWD TL isn't that much faster than the FWD version. Preliminary numbers from Acura say about 0.3-0.4 sec faster from 0-60 in AWD version, but we'll have to wait and see what the actual numbers are from real world testing.
i'm in the market for an AWD sedan, and my ceiling is about 50k, so i was looking at the GS350 AWD, RL, TL AWD, A4 3.2, G35x, etc. My 2 brands of choice are lexus and acura. A 2008 GS350AWD is discounted below into TL AWD territory. But IMO the TL AWD is the best bang for buck out there, which is why I have one on order. You guys get so defensive about your 4G TL, I'm not talking bad about it. In my opinion, even though the GS350 costs more, I sat/drove both, I think the TL is right up there in terms of luxury and features (minus some minor things like cooled seats and retractable mirrors).

People say it's priced too high at 43k, but if you look at the track record, interior, and features it's priced below the vehicles it competes with. And BMW and MB was never a thought in my mind, I know too many people with them, and I've heard way too many stories, and the high maintenance isn't worth it.

With all that said, my simple statement was that I believe the AWD TL will outperform the FWD TL. This isn't as much opinion, as it is logic. But you seem a bit disgruntled, just be happy with your purchase, I'm not talking down to your car, I believe it's still a great value. If I didn't live in the northeast with snow and bad weather, I wouldn't even think about an AWD car.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
I think that you may be partly right if you are just looking at 0-60 numbers. However, performance is so much more than that. In fact, the recent Edmunds review of the 2010 SH-AWD + 6MT showed that the TL really was better than any of its competitors in the performance category, including some tough competitors too! I suggest that you take a look at that article and you may just change your mind.
i'm not saying there aren't performance sedans out there. i just have a belief system that sport should remain in a 2 door RWD (and possibly AWD) vehicle, while sedan should remain as it's purpose. a sport sedan is a kind of a joke in my opinion. i can't afford a true sports car, so i won't pretend to be in one with my 4 door family/grocery hauler. that's just my opinion though.

but then there's the blurred mix of 2 door sport luxury vehicles, and i'm not really sure where they sit. lol.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 3G TL but do not think I would even consider the 4G TL.

I "might" consider the SH-AWD with 6MT and an aftermarket nose. Nothing less. But, in all likeliehood, I will probably get a 2005 Corvette w/the Z51 suspension. That can had in the high 20's now. I no longer need a sedan anyway.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to test drive the SH-AWD 6 mt but it will be very hard to give up my '05 TL with only 37k and all the mods I installed that fit me like a glove....not having a car payment will also be hard to deal with....
Old 10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Wild Child

i'm in the market for an AWD sedan, and my ceiling is about 50k, so i was looking at the GS350 AWD, RL, TL AWD, A4 3.2, G35x, etc. My 2 brands of choice are lexus and acura. A 2008 GS350AWD is discounted below into TL AWD territory. But IMO the TL AWD is the best bang for buck out there, which is why I have one on order. You guys get so defensive about your 4G TL, I'm not talking bad about it. In my opinion, even though the GS350 costs more, I sat/drove both, I think the TL is right up there in terms of luxury and features (minus some minor things like cooled seats and retractable mirrors).

People say it's priced too high at 43k, but if you look at the track record, interior, and features it's priced below the vehicles it competes with. And BMW and MB was never a thought in my mind, I know too many people with them, and I've heard way too many stories, and the high maintenance isn't worth it.

With all that said, my simple statement was that I believe the AWD TL will outperform the FWD TL. This isn't as much opinion, as it is logic. But you seem a bit disgruntled, just be happy with your purchase, I'm not talking down to your car, I believe it's still a great value. If I didn't live in the northeast with snow and bad weather, I wouldn't even think about an AWD car.
I hear you, and you are definately right. You have done your research and I applaud you for taking that initiative. I have been watching Pete's remarks about this web site and I understand his defense. he was one of the first to purchase and post on a 4G. He hasn't had the opportunity to drive the AWD because it isnt out yet and his money is spent. I say, there is no need to be on the defense if you are content with what you spent. (it even rhymes) Im sure there may be a small fear that the AWD might push past the FWD and the wait would have been worth it. But I speak for the people that KNOW whats out there and got what they could afford without making haste. (Not bashing you Pete, Im a real fan)
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 PM
jyrtl

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm waiting for the awd because of the umber if they had that interior in the base model I would buy the base and try to get the standard rims from the sh-awd since it looks pretty good
Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wildchild_8635
I hear you, and you are definately right. You have done your research and I applaud you for taking that initiative. I have been watching Pete's remarks about this web site and I understand his defense. he was one of the first to purchase and post on a 4G. He hasn't had the opportunity to drive the AWD because it isnt out yet and his money is spent. I say, there is no need to be on the defense if you are content with what you spent. (it even rhymes) Im sure there may be a small fear that the AWD might push past the FWD and the wait would have been worth it. But I speak for the people that KNOW whats out there and got what they could afford without making haste. (Not bashing you Pete, Im a real fan)
I know what you guys are saying. I don't regret one bit getting my TL. In fact, I wished it had come out sooner!. This is a damn fine car!.....esp. now with the 19" wheels and tires I put on it. The main reason why I didn't wait for the AWD version was that I did not want to go over $40K at the time of delivery. Plus, with the traffic congestion I encounter everyday going to work, I figured the added expense of having SH-AWD wasn't worth it. (Besides, a good set of snow tires is more than adequate to handle Chicago winters). After a couple years of driving enjoyment, I figure to trade my car in eventually for a full-fledged Type-S (if Acura ever makes one).....I also have my eye on the upcoming Audi S4 in 2010.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
To me, HP's ratings are over-rated....it's becoming more and more just a marketing gimmick.
I agree !!!! The average person has no insight to Power-to-Weight ratios. And the automakers know it.

They advertised and advertised the hp rating of their new cars. But, they then never mention the extra weight of that newer model. And, I am not picking on Acura.... all of automakers do it.

Real improvements in performance (better hp/weight ratios) are hard to find in this era. This is why I accomplished it myself with the TL Diet.