Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Easy to find a TL with an MT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy to find a TL with an MT?

I am probably going to order (or find) a manual tranny TL this summer. But I've only ever seen one and it was the dealership owner's car. So how hard are they to find? Will I be able to select any color? What about typical wait time? Will the dealer try to charge me more because it's so rare or can I use that against him and say it's a risk to buy a version of a car that only 10% go for?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
You just have to be patience.

If there isn't one of your trim choice available anywhere in North America, you'll have to order the car and wait patiently until the next batch of MT TL's are being manufactured.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
You just have to be patience.

If there isn't one of your trim choice available anywhere in North America, you'll have to order the car and wait patiently until the next batch of MT TL's are being manufactured.
+1. If the dealer has to order it, you usually will not get a great deal as compared to one on the lot or getting one located.

So far the few dealers I called had 1 in stock and could locate them.

Where are you located btw?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by hatepotholez
+1. If the dealer has to order it, you usually will not get a great deal as compared to one on the lot or getting one located.
Not necessarily true. The cars the dealer has on the lot have to be bought and financed. The dealer works out the price based on all the costs, and that's the basis upon which they deal. If you order, on the other hand, the dealer doesn't have carrying costs on that particular car, so they can usually deal on a cost plus basis...so long as they make their "administration fee", they come out ahead.

This may not be universally true, and perhaps that only applied to me when I was shopping as I had "people" in key places, but it's worth checking out.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Not necessarily true. The cars the dealer has on the lot have to be bought and financed. The dealer works out the price based on all the costs, and that's the basis upon which they deal. If you order, on the other hand, the dealer doesn't have carrying costs on that particular car, so they can usually deal on a cost plus basis...so long as they make their "administration fee", they come out ahead.

This may not be universally true, and perhaps that only applied to me when I was shopping as I had "people" in key places, but it's worth checking out.
I guess it's based on dealerships. I have heard the same story from dealerships in NY stating we'll give you a better deal because it's on what they have in stock.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
They are hard to find right now. My dealer told me that they are high priority dealership meaning they can get most anything they want in their allocations. Because of the tsunami and shortage of the manual transmissions produced in Japan, they have had difficulty obtaining the car.

As one poster said, be patient. Ask dealerships around you if they can trade another dealer for an MT. The problem, as you note, is that I doubt you can expect much of a deal on the car.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jharrison
I am probably going to order (or find) a manual tranny TL this summer. But I've only ever seen one and it was the dealership owner's car. So how hard are they to find? Will I be able to select any color? What about typical wait time? Will the dealer try to charge me more because it's so rare or can I use that against him and say it's a risk to buy a version of a car that only 10% go for?
I'm not sure how hard they are to find or locate. Based on many dealer inventory, it appears to be hard to find.

Here's why:

Recently I saw a CPO 2010 TL 6MT in my area pop up, and I went and took a look. Then I started comparing prices with new ones, but with no new ones to be found.

By chance, while going through my AMEX list of benefits, I noticed they have this free service called "Auto Purchasing Program," so I gave it a shot. (Link here, and it doesn't require you to provide an AMEX card number, so non AMEX members can use it too.) I indicated the manual transmission and gray color.

By the end of the day, I got two quotes: $39,292 and $39,010, both quotes with destination fee included. I checked both AMEX certified dealers' websites and they both do not have it in stock. But both promised they can get me one (as long as I'm flexible with the color) within days.

Dealer territory is split up into 6 zones, and Chicago, where I live, is in zone 3 (midwest), which happens to have 2 in stock, and 1 incoming. Both dealers promised a few days with no extra charge if I wanted one of the two vehicles in zone 3. (Available: Black/Black, Gray/Black. Incoming: Black/Black.)

When I found out that the 1 being built marked for incoming was destined for a local dealer (not AMEX certified), I immediately went there with my two quotes. I asked the dealer for a print out of the vehicle details from the Acura inventory system, and it has build dates of April 11-15, and a blank check box for "reroute to another dealer" (presumably any dealer who owns or ordered the vehicle that is not committed to a buyer is subject to being sold elsewhere).

As of yesterday, that TL has my name on it. =)

Long story short: It is slightly easier to get than previously thought. If it costs dealers nothing to snatch up an uncommitted inventory, then you shouldn't have to worry about dealer-to-dealer trades or its cost for the trade. It seems Acura is intend on selling the vehicle and will facilitate the reroute for free.

As to why the quoted price is lower than MSRP and invoice? Apparently there is a $2,000 factory to dealer rebate that none of the websites (edmunds, MSN cars, AMEX APP) mentioned. And right now, there is an AHFC financing promotion of 1.9% (36 mos) and 2.9% (37-60 mos), that if the dealer signs you up, there is an AHFC to dealer rebate of $500.

One of the quoted dealers was extremely upfront about rebates that can be passed on to me.

So hope this helps? Maybe you might be tempted to buy one sooner than later? =)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
First, congrats on the pickup and good pricing. Second, thanks for the helpful information. (Not that I'm in the market, but you may make it easier for others to own one of these terrific cars).
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Since the deal varies depending on when you're buying the 6MT and which dealership you're going to order the 6MT, the best bet is to actually go to the Acura dealership to find out the details for the best deal and quickest delivery time available at that point in time.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Denver. I took delivery 1 month ago. I waited 3 months for the car. I was able to test drive one last Nov. that just happened to be sitting on the lot. I went back to buy the car a week later and it was sold, hence the need to order mine. Part of me is happy I waited. I was able to drive many other cars in those 3 months (I was still nervous about my order and my test drive was many months prior...I wanted to drive the competition.) I am super happy with my purchase...I can quickly find faults with cars (previous 330, passat w8, 535) and have found very few with the TL 6MT (some think clutch uptake is too long). Overall, I would encourage a test drive because spending 40K is not a small amount of money. I believe the only cars worthy of competing with a 6MT are the S4 and 335x. Both are great cars (save concerns about reliability). After considering cost and small rear seats and trunks, the TL was the right fit.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm on the lookout for a used 4G manual TL here in ontario and they're hard to find. I saw one for sale at an acura dealership in my area, a 2010 SHAWD with 65k kms for $34k, do you guys think it's a good deal?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
First, congrats on the pickup and good pricing. Second, thanks for the helpful information. (Not that I'm in the market, but you may make it easier for others to own one of these terrific cars).
You're welcome. =)

I'm one for making poor financial decisions, so in the process of doing so, I do my darndest to limit the damage I do. As to the poor decisions I always make? I change cars too many times that I truly should've just leased them. =)

Some other tips which I hope people in the market may help useful:
  • Bring a spreadsheet with you. I used to carry my laptop, but now I just do it on my smartphone. Whatever number they give, I plug it in and the formula tells me the monthly payments. This allows you to work things backwards, whereas salespeople work multiple angles.
  • Never, ever go up to a dealer in person. Always do things online with the Internet sales manager. They almost always quote you better prices than the regular salesperson + the "manager" he always seems to have to check/talk with or get permission for. The Internet sales manager's commission for the most part are based on volume, unlike the salespeople that troll the showroom floor. (I hope no cars salespeople are offended.) The Internet salesperson's goal is to get rid of aged inventory as best as he can, based on his goal. The regular salesperson will always start out with MSRP or original listed sale price and work downwards.
  • When haggling, don't get frustrated. And don't ever be nice. In a dealership, it's a dog-eat-dog world, so don't ever feel like you may hurt the other guy's feelings, or whatever. No matter the pressure, no matter how much you want the car, just stand up calmly, and turn the tables around in a cool fashion. My favorite is to slowly stand up, then say, "Sorry, that deal/number/whatever is not going to work for me. Let's just part as friends, and leave it at that."
    It's a mind game when it comes to making someone feel pressured. Might as well throw it back at them.
  • If you're trading in, know your car inside and out. I love it when salespeople try to haggle your trade-in value low because "your tires are bald" or "your tires need replacement" or "you didn't maintain the car properly." Challenge them by bringing your own tread depth gauge (everyone should always own one!), and go in with all your maintenance records. They can't weasel their way out of certain lies.
  • Most important of all: When they ask for the key to appraise your car, give them only the valet key. Not because they might do something to your car, but have you ever noticed that when they're done, they almost never return the key and start haggling? Or when you ask for it, they said the appraiser has it but he wants to work out a deal before he finds the appraiser (which almost always happen to be busy with appraising another car)? If it's not going anywhere, just stand up, and get in the car and drive off, and ask for the key some other time. Holding you hostage is stupid sales tactic, despite it being in sales 101. Sadly, there are enough people falling for the pressure this way that they keep on using it.
Not exactly words of wisdom, but something I've learned over the years. =)