DRL fuse.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DRL fuse.....

Hi I own a 2010 TL- FWD and is there way I can stop drl when I drive..and how can I fine where is fuse and if I do pull out fuse for drl will I get error sign? And will it mess up anything and out will the highbeams work..? Thmx a lot everyone who answer.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Name:  Fuse2.jpg
Views: 4741
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  Fuse.jpg
Views: 4947
Size:  29.3 KB

You will not get any codes from removing the fuse and I assume the high beams will still work but I'm not sure.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
The high beams still work
Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey OP,
Yes, the high beam will work and you will get no error code. I had it removed through out the spring and summer. Just plugged the fuse back in once the days started getting shorter, as a safety precaution.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
so our alternatives for "modding" our DRLs are to either put in an LED to make it look "cooler", but then we DO lose our high beams... or just pull this fuse.. and we no longer have DRLs..but we maintain the high beams...

I think I will go the latter route.. I like that idea.

but I still need to do switchbacks in my turn signals...
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by inder
Hi I own a 2010 TL- FWD and is there way I can stop drl when I drive..and how can I fine where is fuse and if I do pull out fuse for drl will I get error sign? And will it mess up anything and out will the highbeams work..? Thmx a lot everyone who answer.
I gotta admit...I'm lost here. What's the purpose of disabling DRL's? I mean, they're a safety feature, right? While we're at it, why not disable the airbags and horn as well?

What is the price of vanity, anyways?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I gotta admit...I'm lost here. What's the purpose of disabling DRL's? I mean, they're a safety feature, right? While we're at it, why not disable the airbags and horn as well?

What is the price of vanity, anyways?
I suppose it depend on where you live. In certain area and condition it would be helpful to have drl. I live in California and the weather is mostly sunny year round and visibility is excellent. If other drivers can't see me unless I've drl on then they shouldn't be on the road. The other day I had someone high beam me during daytime because they thought my high beam were on. I'll be pulling the fuse this weekend.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kenstlshawd
I suppose it depend on where you live. In certain area and condition it would be helpful to have drl. I live in California and the weather is mostly sunny year round and visibility is excellent. If other drivers can't see me unless I've drl on then they shouldn't be on the road. The other day I had someone high beam me during daytime because they thought my high beam were on. I'll be pulling the fuse this weekend.
I hear what you're saying, and respect the fact that there's bound to be some difference of opinion, however to me, it comes down to simply safety over aesthetics over safety...and only one of these things is objective. Every so often I see a guy driving around here and he's clearly disabled his headlights in favor of his fogs. From an aesthetic point of view, he probably thinks it makes him look cooler somehow. Me...I think it's douchy. There's no question it's a change that reduces his safety and the safety of those around him.

I'm in a northern climate. DRL's are necessary. Even in, as you point out, sunny conditions, and perhaps especially so, DRL's are important. If someone is driving toward you and the sun is behind you, low on the horizon, DRL's are the only way you're being seen.

Finally, here (and I recognize it might not be everywhere) DRL's are law; disable them and you're taking your chances, as any accident will mean at least a portion of liability will shift back to you.

I can't account for another driver flashing you thinking your highbeams were on, though of course they were...you likely know the DRL's are simply highbeams at reduced power. During the day, it shouldn't have been an issue, and at night, your car should have defaulted to lows. Either way, my position would be TFB for the other driver...some are just too sensitive.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
DRLs are outdated and their "safety" benefit has been disproven. All studies that promote DRLs are outdated and from countries with horrible street lighting (30 years ago). The only reason we have DRLs is because people refuse to turn their low beams on during dangerous driving conditions. When visibility is compromised, just turn your low beam on. Why leave safety up to a feature that provides only half the voltage.

They are required by law in Canada, not the US.

Last edited by Domm; 12-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Domm
DRLs are outdated and their "safety" benefit has been disproven. All studies that promote DRLs are outdated and from countries with horrible street lighting (30 years ago). The only reason we have DRLs is because people refuse to turn their low beams on during dangerous driving conditions. When visibility is compromised, just turn your low beam on. Why leave safety up to a feature that provides only half the voltage.

They are required by law in Canada, not the US.
With respect, you refer to these supposed studies, but then fail to quote any. That would be forgivable, were it not for the fact that you then discuss the applicability of DRL's to areas of low lighting, which would suggest you really don't understand the purpose of DRL's. In fact you specifically refer to times when "visibility if compromised", however that is not the point of DRL's. They are meant to make the vehicle carrying them more conspicuous, not light up the surroundings. You're correct that they operate on reduced voltage; given their purpose, that's perfectly acceptable.

If they were meant to "throw light", as opposed to simply making the vehicle more visible, then makers such as Audi, and now Ford, Kia, Mercedes, etc., wouldn't be using leds, since the technology isn't there to make leds illuminate sufficient area. They're easy to see though.

But again, you're correct that in areas of low light, your low beams will do a much better job. And if your TL is working the way it should, the vehicle should take care of that for you. The DRL's are for when it's bright outside.

You're likely correct when you say that DRL's are only mandatory in Canada, and not the US. My point was, unless there's a good reason to do so, why disable a safety feature? My horn may never save me from a collision, but without a reason to disconnect it, it would be stupid to pull that fuse.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
You can simply Wikipedia daytime running lights to find your evidence regarding statistical data. I'm typing on my phone so if you're truly curious, you can look yourself.

By dangerous driving conditions and compromised visibility, I meant during the day time (I. E., rain, snow, fog, and winter months where there is limited sunlight). Your interpretation is that having a light on during a clear and bright day will improve safety by making you more noticeable, which has been disproven by recent studies. My point (backed by data you can google) is that if you are driving and the visibility of you or others are slightly compromised (during the daytime), then it would benefit you even more by turning your low beams on, which many do not do. Whether they're lazy or don't care is not apart of this discussion.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Inder, just wondering why you wanted to do this? Saw Ken say b/c someone may have thought he had his high beams on. Just seems a little weird, but to each their own. Won't argue reason, just wondering is all. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rossfarneth
Hi Inder, just wondering why you wanted to do this? Saw Ken say b/c someone may have thought he had his high beams on. Just seems a little weird, but to each their own. Won't argue reason, just wondering is all. Thanks!
I'm not doing it because someone flashed me. I just don't like the look of the drl. I don't care if someone is flashing me and wouldn't be mad. Can't expect everyone to know that Acura is using the high as drl.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I grew up with sunlight, light off. I had no trouble with saftey. I don't like the way a car looks with lights on in the daytime. Looks wimpy to me. So... I removed the fuse. None of my cars have DLR and I hope I can keep it that way.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenstlshawd
I'm not doing it because someone flashed me. I just don't like the look of the drl. I don't care if someone is flashing me and wouldn't be mad. Can't expect everyone to know that Acura is using the high as drl.
Cool. Yeah when I said weird I didn't mean it by implying that you did it b/c of the guy flashing you. I meant it seems a little weird to bother disconnecting them. I just looked at mine today. Never really took the time to look at it with the lights on. I guess it's just a preference.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
DRLs are pretty useless if you are the type to turn on low beams in the rain or bad weather...

They are the precursor to the new LED 'twinkle' lights which are the newest ricer fad to touch the luxury auto markets.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering pulling the fuse as well. Not all cars have DRLs, especially older ones, and I don't feel they are much less safer and I don't see people rushing to install them on their cars. My previous car (2002 Infiinity i35) did not have DRLs and I never felt unsafe.

That being said the moment someone figures out a way to put LEDs on the DRLs and still have high-beams I'll put them on...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stupendas1
I'm considering pulling the fuse as well. Not all cars have DRLs, especially older ones, and I don't feel they are much less safer and I don't see people rushing to install them on their cars. My previous car (2002 Infiinity i35) did not have DRLs and I never felt unsafe.

That being said the moment someone figures out a way to put LEDs on the DRLs and still have high-beams I'll put them on...
Already pulled mine.
Wouldn't mine having leds instead of the high as drl. Would be easier to just have leds with a switch so you can turn it on/off or wire it so they come on with ignition.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for this - i tend to drive with either my parking lights or low beams on 100% of the time, DRL is quite useless for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
So I guess all cars from 2005 and back are all dangerous cause they don't have drl's.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My last Audi had the ability to turn on and off the DRLs. I would turn them on when I felt it was necessary. I am considering installing a switch in my TL to turn them on and off.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

Yes, the Audi can change the DRL setting via the MMI menu.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey sprry everyone for very late reply but I wanted to turn drl off coz of I got my headlights done by aktl05 and I installed halo and they turn on when my car turn on so I was thinking to turn off the yellow light...sorry for late reply and thnx for ur replys..
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
So I guess all cars from 2005 and back are all dangerous cause they don't have drl's.
While I realize you are simply trying to make a point, your comment really doesn't make sense.

That's like saying, "so all cars prior to seatbelts becoming mandatory in the 70's are dangerous?" or "so all cars without airbags are dangerous?".

Not having a safety feature which is available on other cars doesn't make a vehicle inherently dangerous. But then, you knew that...you were trying to make a point.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I grew up with sunlight, light off. I had no trouble with saftey. I don't like the way a car looks with lights on in the daytime. Looks wimpy to me. So... I removed the fuse. None of my cars have DLR and I hope I can keep it that way.
I agree with this 100%. The same for me.