Do you think the 4th gen TL raised the value proposition compared to the 3th??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Do you think the 4th gen TL raised the value proposition compared to the 3th??

Personally I think so mainly because of the Torque Vectoring AWD system.

I loved the 3th gen when it came out, the sharp styling was really nice and beautifully crafted interiors but, frankly, at the time I did not think it offered anything substantially better, at least performance wise, than some other top rated sport oriented generalist FWD sedans to justify the premium price....at the time I was driving a fully loaded Maxima, you could buy the second iteration of the new Altima (which was more refined than the first when it came out in 2002) in the SE-R trim, the Mazdaspeed 6 (albeit a bit smaller but it had AWD) or the top trims of the WV Passat.
Domestically you could go even cheaper with the cruder Pontiac Grand Prix (at least it had great look) which offered even a V8 300+ HP option.

Nowdays with the SH-AWD TL, if you want an AWD sedan as big you have to spend significantly more (Infiniti M37, BMW 535i, A6 3.0T) or getting something smaller and/or less powerful (BMW 335, Audi A4, Infiniti G37)

Even the generalist Ford Taurus SHO, which is more powerful but it has a less refined on demand AWD system (Haldex based) cost about the same (38K MSRP) or just a hair less than a base AWD TL (39.5K)

What is your take on this?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I really liked the 3G better and wanted a '07 type S, but it was the 4G loaner that sold us on the car. As soon as we found the Int/Ext colors in AWD/HPT that we wanted for the right price, we bought one.
Haven't been in the new SHO, but there is no doubt this 4G would send my '97 SHO crying its way back to the garage.' Worth the upgarde IMHO
Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Personally I think so mainly because of the Torque Vectoring AWD system.

I loved the 3th gen when it came out, the sharp styling was really nice and beautifully crafted interiors but, frankly, at the time I did not think it offered anything substantially better, at least performance wise, than some other top rated sport oriented generalist FWD sedans to justify the premium price....at the time I was driving a fully loaded Maxima, you could buy the second iteration of the new Altima (which was more refined than the first when it came out in 2002) in the SE-R trim, the Mazdaspeed 6 (albeit a bit smaller but it had AWD) or the top trims of the WV Passat.
Domestically you could go even cheaper with the cruder Pontiac Grand Prix (at least it had great look) which offered even a V8 300+ HP option.

Nowdays with the SH-AWD TL, if you want an AWD sedan as big you have to spend significantly more (Infiniti M37, BMW 535i, A6 3.0T) or getting something smaller and/or less powerful (BMW 335, Audi A4, Infiniti G37)

Even the generalist Ford Taurus SHO, which is more powerful but it has a less refined on demand AWD system (Haldex based) cost about the same (38K MSRP) or just a hair less than a base AWD TL (39.5K)

What is your take on this?
I would agree with you. As the former owner of a 3G TL which I really enjoyed (2005 vintage) I think this current iteration has raised the bar quite a bit. In addition to the AWD, I think the build quality and the feature content have taken signifcant strides upwards. I am also a former owner of a 2006 RL (my 2012 TL's predecessor) and can say that the TL has caught up to the current RL in terms of features and size although the RL still has an edge in build quality IMHO.

But at the end of the day, in anwer to your question, I do believe the 4G has definitely raised the value proposition vs the 3G.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but I could buy a new RL for less than what you paid for your TL shawd just 2-3 years ago
Old 06-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by TooLaggy
but I could buy a new RL for less than what you paid for your TL shawd just 2-3 years ago
You can buy a new RL today for less than what someone paid for an '09 SH AWD new in '09? Mmm-kay
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I started with a pretty large and diverse list of cars when I was looking to buy. My initial budget was under $35k before taxes. I upped the budget because I saw that just another $5k would be able to put me in the next category of vehicles (from midsize to luxury compact/midsize).

After tossing out all normal midsized sedans, and after tossing out the IS350 and A5 due to cost, I was down to the G37 and TL Base (this was after the SHAWD crash, just cost too much at the time). I also then tossed out the G37 due to it's jerky (but fun) 7AT, and also because there was a $1k difference between two vehicles, but the TL was larger (though not much more comfortable) inside.

Despite its looks, its "basic" features, it's archaic transmission, and it's relatively high level of noise (or just poor bump absorption) I went with the TL because of the value factor (and reliability). Now, I think it's (value) a bit overrated.

I know many on this forum bought it for the same reasons, but i'm beginning to see things a different way. I've been driving the A5 and have recently ridden in a G25, and I realized that the TL isn't for me.. anymore. I think i'm looking for something that either feels more fun to drive, or has more utility.

I thought the value proposition would make me forget about how much more fun I had driving and being in those other vehicles, but it didn't. I'm starting to think acura, at least the TL, isn't right for me. It doesn't really matter that it is a midsize car that competes with compact cars, my little cousins were barely comfortable in the rear seats this weekend. So all that "but you get a 5 series sized car for $20k less!" arguments are null to me, the TL is barely as comfortable as most compact cars inside.

I think as soon as some nice next gen cars come out, I will sell or trade the TL. I'm getting bored of it, the way it drives, the features it's missing (which acura will never update, for example, bluetooth song display, automatic phonebook updating), the noise, the uncomfortable rear seat that doesn't fold, the small awkwardly shaped trunk. I could have dealt with it, knowing that I got a good deal/value, saved on supposedly tens of thousands of dollars vs the other midsized competition, but then the 2012 MMC came out. It offering significantly more for the $, became quieter, faster, smoother, more efficient, had more tech, and fixed a large number of problems I had with the car for basically the same price. After the 2012 came out, the lull of the value proposition faded, and i became tired of paying for something I didn't like.

In retrospect, I should have leased an A5 or G37 (lease, since it's know for its well documented 7AT problems) for a few years while I waited for the next gen of acura vehicles which are supposed to show us what acura is really about. This entire generation of TL (including mmc) is a compromised that was supposed to be the bridge between the TL going from a small midsized car to fully competing with the true midsize premium cars, you could call it a work in progress.

In the end, I don't think the value proposition could help me see through all its compromises and drawbacks anymore. I now think the value proposition is overrated.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
oops I just realized that this was in comparison to the 3g and not it's value proposition in general. I didn't own a 3g, but was looking into a 3.5G prior to the 4g coming out. In that case, I think the TL has a better value proposition, especially in SHAWD Tech MMC form.

The advance pkg's wheel option negates any value there was in that pkg. They should have put the BIS and ventilated seats in the tech pkg and just left the larger wheels as a stand alone option.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Saturn, interesting question...I think the value of the 4G vs the 3G is what you make of it. Some people value looks more, some value performance more, some value technology more.

I actually think it's a combination of all 3, and maybe more. It's hard to put a value on this. It's kind of like asking who is the better hockey player-Wayne Gretzky or Gordie Howe. It's 2 different players in 2 different generations.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Didn't feel the 3G at all when it first came out, reminded me of the bar of soap design T-Bird a several years earlier. They refined it nicely over the years and it grew on me...finally. It's going to be interesting to see how the 4G does over the years. I was at my dentist office yesterday and the staff and customers were fawning over my car. Not one negative comment about the grille....interesting. The night before at a Chick-fi-la an MB driver was asking a 20 questions about my car, he made the comment he is looking at moving over to Acura, very interesting.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Saturn, interesting question...I think the value of the 4G vs the 3G is what you make of it. Some people value looks more, some value performance more, some value technology more.

I actually think it's a combination of all 3, and maybe more. It's hard to put a value on this. It's kind of like asking who is the better hockey player-Wayne Gretzky or Gordie Howe. It's 2 different players in 2 different generations.
Agree whole-heartedly. Many people who buy these cars won't use half the acronym-laden, ultra, super, mega technologies in them. Or at least they won't know they're using them. lol.

Ultimately, the value proposition of the TL was when they were basically giving them away a few months ago. I stated then, in a thread, that, bang-for-the-buck, it was hard to beat what Acura was offering in the 4G TL for what you could get it for. I wouldn't pay over $40k for a TL, but I'd definitely pay $35k-$38k (before TT&L) for one, snapping turtle grille and all. lol. I damn-near bought one when they were giving them away, but the cheap bastard in me is still going to keep trucking along in my 3G for now.