Do you love your dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011 | 11:54 AM
Racer

Do you love your dealership?

So reading through a lot of these threads, I've noticed a trend - people absolutely love or absolutely despise their dealership aka "stealer-ship." I'm 50/50 on this - I do not like where I actually purchased/took delivery of the car, but I love where I'm getting it serviced. I will definitely be purchasing my next TL from the dealership that is currently servicing the car, just bc of how many little things they have done to right the wrongs of the delivering dealership.

Anyone else have experiences like this? I feel like we need a permanent thread giving credit to the good dealerships, so that those in the market for an Acura won't waste their time (& money) at the wrong location. Agreed?
Old 08-23-2011 | 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I can't say I love my dealership but I do enjoy going there when I do go. I have never been treated better than I have there. I bought my car there as well. People there seem to know that it's us that drives their business and their job is to make us happy.

When I bought my car, the GM took me around to meet all the department heads. That was a nice touch.

I do get tired of the fricken surveys after any service though!
Old 08-23-2011 | 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I get treated like gold and receive significant discounts. When they've screwed up they really go out of their way to compensate
Old 08-23-2011 | 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I can't say I love my dealership but I do enjoy going there when I do go. I have never been treated better than I have there. I bought my car there as well. People there seem to know that it's us that drives their business and their job is to make us happy.

When I bought my car, the GM took me around to meet all the department heads. That was a nice touch.

I do get tired of the fricken surveys after any service though!
Sterling Mcall?
Old 08-23-2011 | 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
Sterling Mcall?
Yes, Sterling McCall has treated me very well.
Old 08-23-2011 | 12:36 PM
Instructor

I have been very pleased with my dealer as well. While I wouldn't go as far as saying I love the dealer I have been very pleased with the service I get from them every single time. I actually traded my 06 TL in on a 10 Mustang GT and was completely blown away by the piss poor service given by both local Ford dealers. I am very happy to be back to where it at least seems like the dealer cares.
Old 08-23-2011 | 12:45 PM
The Sicilian

I hate all dealers. With the way car sales have been, they should all be kissing our asses. Yes Acura, Infiniti, lexus, BMW, MB dealers should be a cut above the rest but some still come across as being arrogant.
I only go to the dealer if I have to. I guess that sums it all up!
Old 08-23-2011 | 02:20 PM
Drifting

I like my dealer a lot. I had my previous car serviced there and always received good treatment. When I purchased my TL from them, it could hardly have been a more pleasant, professional experience - none of the usual (and amateurish) dealership stunts. They seemed to recognize my time is valuable.

The true test of a dealership, in my book, is how they treat you when something goes wrong. Thankfully, through 3 Acuras over 20 years, we've not had any signficant problems, so I cannot form an impression on that front. But knowing my sales guy, service manager and owner (all of whom have been with the company 15-20 years), I feel like they'd pass that test too.

BTW, good idea for a thread.
Old 08-23-2011 | 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

My dealership has been exceptionally good - Champion Acura South of Houston (League City area). The salesman is top notch - Jeremy.
Old 08-23-2011 | 02:48 PM
Intermediate

My experience with John Eagle Acura has been pleasant. They have allways treated me well!

But damn enough with those surveys!!
Old 08-23-2011 | 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rockets007
My experience with John Eagle Acura has been pleasant. They have allways treated me well!

I work about a mile from John Eagle Acura but live closer to Sterling McCall.
Old 08-23-2011 | 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Love my dealership.

MOD, and aftermarket friendly. sells OEM parts at internet pricing... always good to BS with. I can request specific model loaners (ie: ZDX's) -- Can't complain ever with the service.
Old 08-23-2011 | 03:32 PM
Team Owner

I liked my Acura dealer, they never gave me a hard time I usually always gave me discount on parts. Now since I have a Mazda I like them as well, they let me BS around and drive cars that were just traded it like Ms6's

but my Toyota dealership I don't like..
Old 08-23-2011 | 03:33 PM
very punny....

There are a lot of Texas folk here.... woohoo!

To the OP, I think sales and service are two totally different entities. Granted a good/bad experience on one side will sway you to visit the other side of a dealership, but I don't think they are necessarily correlated.

I pass up to two dealers to go to one that I like for service. Luckily in DFW, we have options a-plenty.
Old 08-23-2011 | 03:44 PM
takin care of Business in

i did until the service manager left....after that I have been to the dealership only once and never been so unsatisfied....
Old 08-23-2011 | 05:01 PM
Instructor

I *love* my dealership, Niello Acura in Sacramento: http://acura.niello.com

Gary Riley, Marc Sutherland, Brian Bladow, Pat Silva, and everyone else there I've worked with are class acts. If you're in Northern California and don't buy your car from Niello (they have other dealerships/brands, too), you're nuts!
Old 08-23-2011 | 06:28 PM
Advanced

I have 2 Acura dealerships closer to me than the one I bought my car from and get it serviced at. Chevy Chase Acura gave me the best price of them and the easiest car purchase I have ever made. As for the service department, they always get me in and out quickly and have resolved the few minor issues I have had. I know someone who bought her TL from one of the dealerships closer to me and she hates their service department so much she is now going to mine. She also paid $500 less than me for a FWD compared to my AWD. Told me her dad was a car salesman for over 25 years and got her a great price. She wasn't so happy when I told her what I paid for my car a few weeks after she got hers

The only thing I don't like is driving close to 50 miles to get there.
Old 08-23-2011 | 06:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

very pleased with the dealer I use-Lehigh Valley Acura-in Emmaus,Pa. The get terrific reviews on the dealerrater website.
Old 08-23-2011 | 06:46 PM
Instructor

I hate Chevy Chase Acura, they tried to stick me with a head gasket job for $2000 when all i had was a thermostat leak, Pohanka Acura in Chantilly has impresed me with the service they provide. im sold with them
Old 08-23-2011 | 07:14 PM
Drifting

Acura of Boston - their service department is top notch. If you go back to some old threads, they worked with another member when he had an issue with his tranny and replaced the entire thing. And there wasn't a lot of back and forth.
Old 08-23-2011 | 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Heck no...So OP what dealership are you in love with?
Old 08-23-2011 | 09:14 PM
Banned

I feel that Houston metro area here in Texas is crazy about Acura's. I see more Acura's than any other Luxury brands and i see more Honda's than any other brand. When i listed my TL for sale i used to get 3 calls every week, that is amazing and i also sold my TL for about 1300 less than i bought it for after using for over a year
Old 08-23-2011 | 10:21 PM
Instructor

I receive what I feel is "above average" service (John Eagle Acura, I-10 West, Houston) though it seems to lack that "over the top pizazz" we always received from Westside Lexus both in and out of warranty. John Eagle's complimentary snacks & etc. are always gone by 10 AM. At Westside Lexus they always had plenty of fresh munchies throughout the day & somewhat nicer customer waiting area.

I've personally never had an "out of warranty" experience at John Eagle Acura, although my son did and it was quite unpleasant. We'd just had his '05 TL in for its final "in warranty" servicing and had asked them to please check it over extra good to let us know of any impending needs. Of course they found nothing. 4 months later (and 89 days after expiration of the original warranty) the car had to go in for a broken motor mount - that's when they tried to zap him with it suddenly needing $1400 worth of tires and $1500 worth of front-end work and another $600 for both front & rear brakes. He called me and said WTF dad. I called the dealer and also said WTF. Boy was I hot!

Thoroughly pissed, he ended up taking his car over to another dealer (Sterling McCall) who fixed the motor mount for approx. $250 and put front brakes on it ($295) - they said the rears were fine and so was the alignment, then over to Discount Tire and paid $770 for a full set of the exact same Michelins that John Eagle Acura wanted $1400 for. He had Discount Tire also look at the rear brakes and they too said they were fine.

So for slightly over $1300 the car got everything it needed and he saved a whopping $2100 over what John Eagle was trying to bend him over and embellish their receivables with. I do not appreciate being treated like that.

I made it a point to go in and speak with the general manager a few days later to let him know how we felt and why. To his credit he called into the shop and had the original service writer come out to sit down with us and discuss the repair "estimate". We received apologies from both, but the service writer was unable to explain the disparity in their assertion that the car needed major front end work and rear brakes, when clearly it did not. Several days later we received a nice written apology in the mail from the GM along with a $100 credit memo from the Parts Dept. to be used toward any future work.

Personally we've always had a good purchase experience and good in-warranty service from John Eagle, but I probably won't take another car there for any out-of-warranty work. They had their one chance and blew it. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

OK so they went the extra mile to make amends, but only because we were savvy-enough customers to question the high estimate and have the work done elsewhere and in so doing, discovered they were trying to gouge us. I find it hard to believe ours was an isolated incident.
The following users liked this post:
lji (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011 | 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Jay Wolfe Acura in Kansas City is outstanding. These guys are good-from sales to service-even followup....

I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Old 08-23-2011 | 10:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rockets007

Agreed. We called and asked to have our name removed and they haven't called since.

Just watch out for out-of-warranty service there. They tried to bend my son over really bad for $2k worth of work the car didn't need.
Old 08-23-2011 | 11:25 PM
Drifting

What can I say, the best sales and service experience I've ever had (purchased 3 Acuras from them so far).
Old 08-24-2011 | 02:18 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acura_TL2010
I feel that Houston metro area here in Texas is crazy about Acura's. I see more Acura's than any other Luxury brands and i see more Honda's than any other brand. When i listed my TL for sale i used to get 3 calls every week, that is amazing and i also sold my TL for about 1300 less than i bought it for after using for over a year
Really? I don't really see that many Acuras...let alone 4Gs. I see alot of Infinitis and BMWs around here.
Old 08-24-2011 | 04:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tut747657
Really? I don't really see that many Acuras...let alone 4Gs. I see alot of Infinitis and BMWs around here.
Same here. I see the occasional 4G, more 3G's and even more of 2G's. I see far more Inifiiti, Lexus, Merc and BMWs that I do TLs... now I do see plenty of MDX and RDX...
Old 08-24-2011 | 07:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Terragotti
I hate Chevy Chase Acura, they tried to stick me with a head gasket job for $2000 when all i had was a thermostat leak, Pohanka Acura in Chantilly has impresed me with the service they provide. im sold with them
can't say i've had any experiences with the MD dealers...i've gone to pohanka since i bought my TL new in 05. never had problems except car wash issues (please DO NOT wash). if anything was ever a concern or something was NOT to my liking they did everything to make sure i was happy when i left. of course it helps that i love my car, and it shows when i bring it in (squeaky clean and knowing my car). my SA always takes care of me and my car when its there. if there is a ding...i'll know and they know it (b/c i'll give them that look of ), but they make it right.

i can't say i love them, but i like them. i like them so much i bought my MDX from them. good or bad, everyone there knows me and my cars over there (all the SAs, the cashiers, the loaner guys, a couple of parts guys, and now sales and the GM). i'm not hard to forget, since i'm really particular and i'm one of the few chicks that rolls in with a lightly modded TL and knows her cars well

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 08-24-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2011 | 07:58 AM

, Houston Represent!!!!!
Old 08-24-2011 | 08:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
Heck no...So OP what dealership are you in love with?

Frankel Acura, in Timonium/Hunt Valley, Maryland.

Not where I purchased my car from, but they have fixed all the issues that the delivering dealership brushed off. Also, my car is out of warranty, and they are STILL fixing stuff Most of it is just minor things, but come on, I'm over 52k miles, and w/o hesitation, the service manager said that they would take care of my problems (he overheard me lamenting about how much the delivering dealership has disappointed me).

First big thing they fixed was a shifting issue - come to find out, at 45k miles on the car, the transmission fluid had never been changed. Awesome - esp. since I bought a CPO.

Second thing, which my car is in the shop for now, is a steering column cover issue - I noticed that there was a space in that plasic covering behind the airbag, and thought maybe just a clip had broken on one side, so I told my SA about it when I brought my car in for the installation of my Nexson grille. Come to find out, the whole thing is a hot mess - someone shot a bunch of silicon in there, and the screws were all stripped. I asked my SA why would someone do that, and he said there could be many reasons -- and it could also be why I was getting airbag messages every few weeks. Soooo while I was getting hot (at the delivering dealership), the service manager walks up and hears me mention the other dealership, and of course inquires about the issue. After hearing the problem, and how many miles are on my car, he quickly says, "We'll take care of it. When can you bring the car back in?" Wow, not what I was expecting.

Frankel has gone above and beyond (in my opinion) of what they had to do to make me happy - my car has been in a handful of times for issues that they had nothing to do with, things the ORIGINAL dealer should have taken care of before selling the car. They've definitely (at this point) snagged me as a customer for life. My dad has Jags and gets his serviced at Frankel Jag, and also has had great service (helps that his good friend is a master mechanic though!). I know some people hate dealerships because they always feel like they are obligated to get all their repairs done there & overpaying, but I heard my SA tell a girl who needed a new tire to go down the street to one of the tire centers and buy it there to save herself $100. Come on, not even my Honda dealership did that, and I KNEW them.

(I bought my car from an Annapolis area Acura dealership - not recommending them AT ALL)
Old 08-24-2011 | 09:00 AM
lji
Pro

Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
I receive what I feel is "above average" service (John Eagle Acura, I-10 West, Houston) though it seems to lack that "over the top pizazz" we always received from Westside Lexus both in and out of warranty. John Eagle's complimentary snacks & etc. are always gone by 10 AM. At Westside Lexus they always had plenty of fresh munchies throughout the day & somewhat nicer customer waiting area.

I've personally never had an "out of warranty" experience at John Eagle Acura, although my son did and it was quite unpleasant. We'd just had his '05 TL in for its final "in warranty" servicing and had asked them to please check it over extra good to let us know of any impending needs. Of course they found nothing. 4 months later (and 89 days after expiration of the original warranty) the car had to go in for a broken motor mount - that's when they tried to zap him with it suddenly needing $1400 worth of tires and $1500 worth of front-end work and another $600 for both front & rear brakes. He called me and said WTF dad. I called the dealer and also said WTF. Boy was I hot!

Thoroughly pissed, he ended up taking his car over to another dealer (Sterling McCall) who fixed the motor mount for approx. $250 and put front brakes on it ($295) - they said the rears were fine and so was the alignment, then over to Discount Tire and paid $770 for a full set of the exact same Michelins that John Eagle Acura wanted $1400 for. He had Discount Tire also look at the rear brakes and they too said they were fine.

So for slightly over $1300 the car got everything it needed and he saved a whopping $2100 over what John Eagle was trying to bend him over and embellish their receivables with. I do not appreciate being treated like that.

I made it a point to go in and speak with the general manager a few days later to let him know how we felt and why. To his credit he called into the shop and had the original service writer come out to sit down with us and discuss the repair "estimate". We received apologies from both, but the service writer was unable to explain the disparity in their assertion that the car needed major front end work and rear brakes, when clearly it did not. Several days later we received a nice written apology in the mail from the GM along with a $100 credit memo from the Parts Dept. to be used toward any future work.

Personally we've always had a good purchase experience and good in-warranty service from John Eagle, but I probably won't take another car there for any out-of-warranty work. They had their one chance and blew it. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

OK so they went the extra mile to make amends, but only because we were savvy-enough customers to question the high estimate and have the work done elsewhere and in so doing, discovered they were trying to gouge us. I find it hard to believe ours was an isolated incident.
I feel Sterling McCall Acura is one of the better places to take the car for service as they don't price gouge... I recently had my A1 service done there and I called both Gillman Acura ($139) and John Eagle Acura ($129) for their prices... Both wanted to gouge me on a simple oil change and tire rotation. Called Sterling McCall Acura for their price and it was much, much cheaper ($60). Kudos to Sterling McCall and service advisor Derrick Alger for treating customers right
Old 08-24-2011 | 09:02 AM

Seriously, 4G Houston guys wanna get together?
Old 08-24-2011 | 10:41 AM
Advanced

Sounds good to me
Old 08-24-2011 | 10:42 AM

^did you get your car fixed!???
I was so sad when i saw the damage!!!!!
Old 08-24-2011 | 10:46 AM
Advanced

Yeah I did, if you check out my thread I updated it with pictures.
Old 08-24-2011 | 09:04 PM
10th Gear

Acura at Oxmoor (Louisville KY) treated me very well. All price negotiating was done online..I just went in and signed the papers. Got a good price, the salesman was extremely helpful. I had a much better experience with them than I did with the Infiniti dealer when I purchased my previous vehicle. I give them two thumbs up.
Old 08-25-2011 | 05:13 AM
Drifting

i am undecided with my dealership because both times i had my car there the work being done had something wrong but when i complained the fixed it to my satisfaction,i feel that the work being done should not require me to complain for it to be done right on the other hand they do try extremely hard to correct the problem.
Old 08-25-2011 | 07:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shellyduchsk8s
Frankel Acura, in Timonium/Hunt Valley, Maryland.

Not where I purchased my car from, but they have fixed all the issues that the delivering dealership brushed off. Also, my car is out of warranty, and they are STILL fixing stuff Most of it is just minor things, but come on, I'm over 52k miles, and w/o hesitation, the service manager said that they would take care of my problems (he overheard me lamenting about how much the delivering dealership has disappointed me).

First big thing they fixed was a shifting issue - come to find out, at 45k miles on the car, the transmission fluid had never been changed. Awesome - esp. since I bought a CPO.

Second thing, which my car is in the shop for now, is a steering column cover issue - I noticed that there was a space in that plasic covering behind the airbag, and thought maybe just a clip had broken on one side, so I told my SA about it when I brought my car in for the installation of my Nexson grille. Come to find out, the whole thing is a hot mess - someone shot a bunch of silicon in there, and the screws were all stripped. I asked my SA why would someone do that, and he said there could be many reasons -- and it could also be why I was getting airbag messages every few weeks. Soooo while I was getting hot (at the delivering dealership), the service manager walks up and hears me mention the other dealership, and of course inquires about the issue. After hearing the problem, and how many miles are on my car, he quickly says, "We'll take care of it. When can you bring the car back in?" Wow, not what I was expecting.

Frankel has gone above and beyond (in my opinion) of what they had to do to make me happy - my car has been in a handful of times for issues that they had nothing to do with, things the ORIGINAL dealer should have taken care of before selling the car. They've definitely (at this point) snagged me as a customer for life. My dad has Jags and gets his serviced at Frankel Jag, and also has had great service (helps that his good friend is a master mechanic though!). I know some people hate dealerships because they always feel like they are obligated to get all their repairs done there & overpaying, but I heard my SA tell a girl who needed a new tire to go down the street to one of the tire centers and buy it there to save herself $100. Come on, not even my Honda dealership did that, and I KNEW them.

(I bought my car from an Annapolis area Acura dealership - not recommending them AT ALL)
That Annapolis Acura dealership is one of the ones closer to me and also where the person I know bought her TL and she refuses to ever go back there for service or anything else. I have heard nothing but bad things from people about that dealership. Not to mention when I was checking prices they were the highest of the 3 I contacted.
Old 08-25-2011 | 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dealerships = Stealerships

Had a very negative experience with Columbia Acura/Hyundai in Cincinnati which are a part of the Joseph Auto group. There was intentional deception by their sales manager on our final purchase (which ended up being a return) which they would never own up to. With that having been our 3rd purchase from them in as many years, there was no interest in dealer or brand loyalty - just trying to make a buck.

More recently we bought the 07 CPO TL-S from Superior Acura. The sales process was less than stellar, and they held us up 3 hours trying to shop a lender that gave them kickbacks to beat our 0.5% credit union offer on the amount; despite my request explicitly to the contrary. In the end, it was a mediocre buying experience, but as they're the only other Acura dealer in town; it's buy from them or drive to Dayton or Louisville.

Quick Reply: Do you love your dealership?