View Poll Results: Do U Like the New Interior?
Yes
67.22%
Maybe - it'll have to grow on me
13.00%
No
13.00%
Have to see it 4 real 1st
6.79%
Voters: 1031. You may not vote on this poll

Do U Like the Interior Design of 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think looking at it doesnt do the justice of actually sitting in it and driving it
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Banned

Nicely done. Love it.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by skyy406
Why is the armrest U shaped? Why is the e-brake on the drivers side? Why do you have to insert the key into the dash THEN push the start button?

The steering wheels looks gaudy imo. I hope to God that the "metalish" looking trimp is really metal and not some cheap plastic like the TSX has. What a downer.

1. Does it matter that it's U shaped? (a little drawer slides out of the U part). 2. All the cars that I've owned had the E-brake on the drivers side. 3. You don't have to insert the key fob into the dash to start it. Thats there to charge it.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Cristofo
1. Does it matter that it's U shaped? (a little drawer slides out of the U part). 2. All the cars that I've owned had the E-brake on the drivers side. 3. You don't have to insert the key fob into the dash to start it. Thats there to charge it.
doesn't charge it. "If the remote battery becomes
weak and the power door lock/
unlock operation is disabled.
When the keyless access remote
system main switch in the glove
box is set to of f .
you have to insert the
remote into the
keyless access remote slot to set the
power mode and start the engine.
try to push it in bef ore pulling it out.
Make sure the vehicle is in
VEHICLE OFF (LOCK) mode.
CONTINUED
s
Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

That drawer in the armrest makes a good area for me to put my cell phone in. The opening to put the keyfob into the dash is just a preventative measure just in case your key runs out of batteries.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced

I really liked the interior and it is what sold me on the car. I test drove the 335xi and the g37x and the acura tl's was by far the best at least IMHO. I bought the awd tech the moment i brought it in from the test drive.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rehab_pain
I really liked the interior and it is what sold me on the car. I test drove the 335xi and the g37x and the acura tl's was by far the best at least IMHO. I bought the awd tech the moment i brought it in from the test drive.
I drove the 335i too - great motor - did you price compare the bmw /acura options? bimmer goes up fast
Old 01-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced

yes i did, a similarly equiped 335xi 2009 came out to a little over 52000. plus i couldn't get over the interior, a little to plain for my tastes.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
4th Gear

I sat in one at the autoshow after it was released. The only thing that bothered me was that the door release (open) handle felt a little soft. Like it could be twisted. Are you guys seeing that at all? We have an 08 Odyssey and the handle is solid as a rock.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I had one for about 10 days...

Had a loaner 09 TL for about 10 days... my 3G was in the shop for the steering hose and the 3rd gear TSB and minor service. I gotta say it does feel nice. As far as fit and finish go? It's better than the 3G's by far... everything feels tighter and well placed. Actually, it feels like nothings really moved but everything is firmer,sturdier, and feels like better quality. The moonroof shade (this thing is flimsy) and top console (dome lights, sunroof switch, sunglass hoder) look and feel cheap though. Trim level? It's the same as our 3G's just plastic and aluminum. I don't know if there's a wood option. Compared to other manufacturers (BMW, Lexus, Benz), I'd have to say fit and finish still isn't quite there, and trim level is definitely not there. I'd say that this one is 'functional' and comfortable. It is a bit Honda-esque and I agree with whoever said that they might have done a little more to separate the brands (a la Lexus IS vs Camry interior). They could have done a lot more with it. I mean, yes it IS cheaper, to have similar designs so you can use the same tools to make different interiors, but comeon, Acura, are we going for the gusto here or not? Luxury, or just kinda somewhere in between?
And whoever made the comment of not missing the touch screen was absolutely right. You'll get used to the nob, and it's damned easy to navigate around. The knobs got a sturdy feel to it but easily manipulated. I actually miss the knob now that it's gone. haha...Oh and you can still enter information and do stuff on the navi while driving. The damned thing just talks to you! Once you get in motion and something is highlighted by the knob it just tells you what the 'cursor' is on. So you don't ever have to look at the navi screen. Whether it's entering text, scrolling through songs (rap song titles are hilarious), reading the traffic information to you, or whatever, there's almost no need to look at the screen at all b/c the car talks to you. The HFL is a lot more functional it's got like it's own little "cellular phone" section with Call history, imported phonebook, speed dial numbers, manual dila, etc and the USB ipod connector is spot on. Just hook it up and it is well integrated and charges it. One nifty thing is that everytime you put a CD in it starts to rip it for you and you can just play stuff off of the HDD from that point forward (tech package has a 12GB HD).
Comfort access is like BMW's... you just have to have the key in your pocket and put you hands on the door and the thing unlocks, you can start the car with the keys in your pocket as well, and really don't need the key... it just kinda has to be around. That U shape design is for a cup holder but it also has a little tray you can slide you ipod/cellhpone into...
But Alas, i marked No on the vote. I just felt that if they're trying to push 'upscale' Acura still has a bit of a hill to climb. Ergos and function are great, but I'm just a wood guy I guess. I know i'm forgetting something, but oh well, just ask and I'll try to remember... peace.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
sbq
6th Gear

I've had my '09 TL for a few weeks now and the controls and layout are nicely done.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM
4th Gear

+1
Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

I like the interior. Seems well thought out as has been my experience with TL's in the past.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor

I love the interior. I obviously have to live with it for more than a day before a can come to a definitive conclusion, but it is nice. Ergonomic and comfortable. The leather seats are first rate. I don't understand the criticism about the center "stack." I think that it's very intuitive and looks "high tech." I loved the wood in my Audi A4 and I saw the wood trim in the 2009 RL. Like the post several positions above, I like wood. I would, at least, like to have had the option of wood trim.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

I agree that a wood option would have been nice to have. I love the greyish charcoal ash that Mercedes puts in some of their cars and would think that would look great in place of the aluminium curved pieces in the TL. Still, I checked YES on the vote.

After test driving both the TL Base and TL SH-AWD and keeping an SH-AWD for an overnight test going back and forth on my hour-plus daily commute, I have to say I am impressed. The fit and finish are first rate, the controls have a tactile feel and click like pieces one would expect to find in a higher-end-car. The G35 I once owned had controls that felt like economy car cheap, the center console on that car actualy shook visibly and had a toy-like plastic feel. The 2009 TL wins hands down.

After returning the keyfob to the dealer and retiring to my old BMW X5 for the journey home, I felt like I was missing so much from the TL. Once can look at pictures all day but once you get in and drive one, you will be convinced at what a great car the 4G is. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer as I type this, hoping my 2009 TL SH-AWD in Grigio with Umber is ready. I'll post pics in the appropriate thread once I take delivery.

Chrisp0410
Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chrisp0410
Once can look at pictures all day but once you get in and drive one, you will be convinced at what a great car the 4G is. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer as I type this, hoping my 2009 TL SH-AWD in Grigio with Umber is ready. I'll post pics in the appropriate thread once I take delivery.

Chrisp0410
yep - have to drive it - congrats on the Grigio
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Wood

Originally Posted by chrisp0410
I agree that a wood option would have been nice to have.
Altho I am no fan of interior wood (real or fake) I thought that Acura did a good job last quad of offering metal w/ black/gray interiors & wood with the beige/tan interiors.

The metal, especially against black, gives the car a more sporty-techy look:
Whereas the wood gives it a more luxury-elegant look:

I am not that big of fan of both @ the same time like the RL as they seem to clash to me but I do realize @ that price point wood is kind of expected:

Back to the TL, I really like the metal stripe on the door. Reminds me of a calligraphy paint stroke:
But those plastic door handles really have to go.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Advanced

it makes no sense at all to complain about the non touch screen in the 4g. all you have to do is use the voice command. how hard is that? oh thats right its really hard when youre babbling on the phone and texting.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One nice subtle touch is the faint blue light that shines down into the cup holder at night and bathes it with just enough soft blue light to see inside. It took me a month to notice.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

The subtle illumination is repeated for the feet too!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmode
The subtle illumination is repeated for the feet too!
Really? That seems a bit bizarre. I wonder why they feel the need to illuminate the feet?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLevation09
One nice subtle touch is the faint blue light that shines down into the cup holder at night and bathes it with just enough soft blue light to see inside. It took me a month to notice.
I noticed the blue lights by accident, yesterday. I was reaching for the map light in my office garage and saw the blue on my hand. I wish it were a little bit brighter, though. It is vey hard to notice but that's probably the point.

My BMWs (Z4 and X5) both had this, albeit in red. The Z4's was bright, the whole dash and console looked red at night.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RGlesing
Really? That seems a bit bizarre. I wonder why they feel the need to illuminate the feet?
It's pretty obvious for me, to see which pedal to push?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Why don't they move "seat heater" buttons to the dash somewere, like lexus does (RX 350), away from the cup holder area?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd be for a move of these buttons as I accidentally hit them from time to time, and you don't need heated seats in Southern California, vented cooling definitely, but not heated.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Intermediate

I posted about how much I like the car after seeing it at the dealership. I also sat inside
the umber interior which I think is bold and beautiful; especially with the black exterior.
I didn't drive it, but the interior is very inviting. Also, it seems dead quiet inside when
the door is closed. I didn't think there was a better color combo for the exterior/ interior than black and camel; however I think black/ umber is just as appealing if not more so.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BillTL1
I posted about how much I like the car after seeing it at the dealership. I also sat inside
the umber interior which I think is bold and beautiful; especially with the black exterior.
I didn't drive it, but the interior is very inviting. Also, it seems dead quiet inside when
the door is closed. I didn't think there was a better color combo for the exterior/ interior than black and camel; however I think black/ umber is just as appealing if not more so.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The dealership that I bought my TL from had a black with umber in the showroom and I really liked it. I just didn't feel up to another black car.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 AM
4th Gear

Beautiful. IMO, wood does not belong in a modern car interior. My wife's MDX has some silvery-black wood. Looks ok, but nice deep CF would be better in both the TL and MDX.

MHO, of course.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 AM
Advanced

wood in a car interior is traditional for the luxury segment. it adds a feel of warmth. the same as darker colors are considered 'cool' and lighter warm' the younger set just doesnt get it. no clue about subtlety.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Advanced

your right wood is for the old and busted while cf is the new hotness.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
http://www.motorauthority.com/wards-...r-winners.html

Motor Authority's - Ward's Auto best interior winner in a premium priced car.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-29-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

It looks awesome but I can't stand those cheap door hanedles...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

its a bit "busy" on the control panels for me, but everything feels solid and functional.

i agree with my fellow socal-ers, heated seats? wtf, give us ventilated
!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Advanced

<--loves it!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

TL Interior

Okay, so I haven't gotten my car yet. So, what I say is based solely on pictures and test drives. I like the interior very much, but I prefer the TSX's Tach/Speedo housing better than the TL's.

So, YES. I like it.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sopolev
Beautiful. IMO, wood does not belong in a modern car interior. My wife's MDX has some silvery-black wood. Looks ok, but nice deep CF would be better in both the TL and MDX.

MHO, of course.
Agreed a hundred percent. I don't like wood in the car either.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 PM
173rd Airborne!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I drove a 09 base w/tech as a loaner while my 3g was in the shop. The first thing i noticed was the volumious interior. This car makes my 3g interior feel like a compact lol. When looking at the dash as a whole it does come across as over whelming and button heavy. I'd say in less than 5 mins i figured out most controls and everything i needed was very easy to find. Materials were of good quality, leather was great, and the car was extremely quiet. The nav is by far my favorite feature of this car. I love the touchscreen in my 3g but, the 4g's system is very nice. The knob is within easy reach and very easy to use. Doppler radar is pretty cool to have in a car, my wife loved that feature. I will admit I wasnt a big fan of the 4g but, after living with it for a few days i have a new respect for it.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted YES - I love the interior
Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 PM
4th Gear

Voted No!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The interior is a modest disappointment. The center stack is way too bulbous and busy. I liked the 3G touchscreen and mourn its passing. I do like the fact that the tach now has a prominent position nearer the center of the binnacle.

At the end of the day, I can't help but get the feeling that designers, as opposed to drivers, are calling the exterior and interior shots. The underpinnings, especially now that a 6-speed manual is in the offing, seem pretty competitive. Quality engineering deserves better.

Quick Reply: Do U Like the Interior Design of 4G TL