Decision Time: To build the 3G or the 4G

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Decision Time: To build the 3G or the 4G

I have an 09 SH-AWD with 21k on the odometer. Bought it in spring of '10 as a demo, and have the 7 year/100k extended warranty for being "certified". It's got the $230 Takeda Noisemaker on it, and is wired for a sub, but otherwise is stock.

I have an 07 TL Type S, purchased last December, also certified. 22k on the ticker, and 7yr/100k warranty. Bone stock, with some pretty chewed up gunmetal Type S wheels and due to replace what are probably the original PS2 tires before winter this year.

The 07 is paid for. The 09, I owe about 14 on - but could probably knock it out this year if I wanted to; not like money is earning interest anywhere.

I'm a car guy, who is also a new daddy. The 07 TL was bought to replace my wife's coupe, and ultimately, I ended up selling my immaculate and fully bolted S2000 to make room in the garage for the 07.

The wife doesn't do clutches - so both cars are auto, as it made sense for flexibility with the kiddo.

I've got "that itch" again to "make it go faster daddy!".

Background: I work from home 50% of the time, which is a god-send since the office is about 45 miles north of home. The 2-3 days per week I drive in, are all expressway, but it is some mileage and a good bit of ground to cover. I had been driving the 09, and getting an average of 26-30 mpg depending on how traffic moved. After the kiddo was born last month, I left the larger, safer, more comfortable 09 at home for the wife and the boy, and started driving the 07. In stock trim, I'm getting 29-30 mpg on the journey, so its the better commuter choice of the two.

The wife is probably going to stay home with the kiddo until it's pre-school time. This cuts the income a bit, but we do alright. Mainly, chops the toy budget down, as does diapers and baby needs.

The initial plan:

I have a deposit for the PCD on my 4G down. I intend to buy them and the J Pipe, all the P2R gaskets, spacer, lightened pulleys, and a lower intake manifold to polish, and throw them all on at the same time. I think it's not unrealistic to expect a 40hp gain across the powerband with all this done.

The reality: PCDs delayed again, J pipe not ready - cost on both up.

The new thought: Build the 07. Buy the PCD J pipe combo for 750 and get a magnaflow resonator. Buy a catback, an intake, all the P2R gaskets and spacer, pulleys, and a lower intake manifold to polish. Effectively the same bolt ons - just for the vehicle that has the parts available.

I would think the 07 would be a rocket at that point, as I've seen 300 whp dyno sheets on these bolted cars.

Advantages I see of building the 07:

1. It's paid for.
2. It needs wheels and tires already.
3. Cheaper to modify
4. You can put it on the dyno without all the headaches and dial it in.

Advantages I see of building the 09:

1. It's more comfortable
2. It's more exclusive
3. SH-AWD kicks ass; nuff said.
4. Stereo smokes the 07s.
5. Navigation / iphone integraiton smokes the 07s.

I have to maintain the safety/driavability factor of whatever I would decide to tinker on so that it was safe and operator friendly enough my wife could drive when needed, and both will still be used to transport my little guy around.

So what say you 4G crowd (I'm going to start a thread in the 3G side too) - Do you build the 4G, do you build the 3G, or do you say hell with the wife's permanent ban on threat of death and just go buy another motorcycle instead....
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
IMO I would build the 07 and not just for the reasons you mention above which are the circumstances in your case. The 07 is a much more nimble car and weighs less than the 09.
Weight really matters when it comes to making cars go fast. Case in point when building a drag car whereever you can shave weight the better.

It's going to take a hell of alot of HP to get the 09 to go fast because of the AWD which is something that is permanent.
Also I never think/thought of the 4G being a rice rocket. In my case it's strickly a luxury cruiser. You can tell from my sig below that the 4G is definitley my luxury liner.

And if anything with the new family member you have, I would rest easier withe the kid & wife riding in the 4G over the 3G. The 4G's a tank and I am happy with my wife and family riding in it safely.

As for the bike? Stick to 4 wheels. Other drivers are the idiots and cause the accidents with bikers. You want to be around to see that young'in grow up.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, build a track car and race it (SCCA)..go as fast as you can that way and.. LEGALLY! It'll cost money to build a car for the street wher eyou really can't drive it like you'd want to...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
I raced SCCA open for many pre-married, plenty of time to kill years. It's fun, and we're close enough here to both Perry Park and Mid-Ohio that open track days are a half-day trip for some real road course action.

I'm just looking to keep the "Look at my stock Camaro - I will now pass you just because I can" crowd at bay with a sleeper, comfortable, daily drivable Touring car.

With the housing market kind of in limbo, we're stuck in 2 car garage house until I make at least 20% above what I bought it for 10 years ago. Once I can get some acreage out in the country, I see a nice 2000 sq ft outbuilding in my future for toys and the carting hobby I'm hoping the little guy takes to.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
I'm just looking to keep the "Look at my stock Camaro - I will now pass you just because I can" crowd at bay with a sleeper, comfortable, daily drivable Touring car.

With the housing market kind of in limbo, we're stuck in 2 car garage house until I make at least 20% above what I bought it for 10 years ago. Once I can get some acreage out in the country, I see a nice 2000 sq ft outbuilding in my future for toys and the carting hobby I'm hoping the little guy takes to.
You sound like me with my daily drivers.

My prediction is that it'll be another 4 years before the housing market returns to any type of normalcy. I think your already ahead of the game having a 2 car garage at least.
Just keep your eyes open because you can get a lot of house for the money right now. You just need to be patient. Good luck.