Deciding between '12 TL and '12 G37

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
We are. Sadly when someone continues to post false information to protect his pride and joy G37 what can you do other than correct him so others don't believe him.
No false information posted, period. No pride involved. Just the facts with a lot of opinion; as you have also posted "facts" and a lot of opinion.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
No false information posted, period. No pride involved. Just the facts with a lot of opinion; as you have also posted "facts" and a lot of opinion.
I proved you wrong in all your posts. LOL You have posted no facts other than wrong information which I proved you wrong. Like the reliability as an example? LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
G37guy.....we get it. You like your G. What do you expect in an Acura forum?

Just let it rest....
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
G37guy.....we get it. You like your G. What do you expect in an Acura forum?

Just let it rest....
X2! Even though I had G's and not biased! I just like facts.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
As usual, wrong information. They are not even close to being tied. Infiniti is one of the worst brands for reliability. Fact.
...snip....
You are not looking at the the same thing I'm looking at. OK....; that's why I said they were "facts".
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...170243393.html

Last edited by g37guy01; 06-21-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

You are not looking at the the same thing I'm looking at. OK....; that's why I said they were "facts".
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...170243393.html
Initial quality vs mine which was Reliability. Sorry Reliability is what we were discussing and Initial quality doesn't show anything. Reliability is what is important and Infiniti is one of the worst. You really have a reading comprehension issue and need to look at what I post and what we are talking about.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
OP, as I said in the other thread I'm biased since I went with the G37. In 2010 I enjoyed the TL from the inside, but could not get over the polarizing front end.

Today, the MMC TL is much more tolerable, but I do not need such a large car for a daily driver. Two years later I still enjoy my car. In two years I've had a seat heater switch replaced (it was binding), a few rattles and a transmission software update done. Not much else if IIRC.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
OP, I will try to narrow this down a bit since you are talking about the 6MT sedan versions in comparison. Most 6MT TL owners are probably also very familiar with this first hand. As suggested, a lot of this decision comes down to personal preferences. Although both are considered entry level luxury vehicles they still have different target markets within that scope.

Both are luxury sport sedans but as far as overall demeanor, the G leans more on the sporty side while the TL is a bit more luxury sport balanced. That's not to say the TL is necessarily more luxurious (pretty even if you ask me, otherwise up for individual interpretation), just that it is not as uncompromising of a sports sedan, which by itself is neither good or bad, you decide that part.

Normally, you would think the sportier car with it's sportier aspirations and overall character would also be a more capable vehicle at the same time, but in this case, these cars are very similar in bottom-line capabilites. The 6MT G sedan will likely pull a bit more at higher end speeds while the TL 6MT, provided it is equipped with comparable tires, should out lap the G in most race courses. Neither anything you can really take advantage of in everyday driving. Most braking results seem to be in line, FWIW. So when it comes to 6MT vs 6MT, there is not much take away on the basis of performance alone.

But having at least established that (that is if it matters) you can then base that off of other areas. Personally, I saw the TL as a larger slightly more spacious vehicle, especially in areas I thought were more important and it did so on a technologically advanced AWD system, that is simply more versatile and at the same time, is rated for the same gas mileage, all things that favor everday daily drivers, once again, without losing out on any of the fun stuff in comparison.

In this context, the additional size, weight, space, with the more toned down feel and demeanor were not negative attributes considering how the vehicles fair in overall capabilities and performance but that is largely subjective based, depending on what you prefer and how much priority is placed in that. Personally speaking, I like the TL as the better car for being as enjoyable to comfortably cruise in as it is to agressively drive, where you get the best of both worlds.

It's also for these reasons I think the TL 6MT is a more well rounded product. If you want the better daily driver, most feel it is the TL. Where if you must have a less compromised sports sedan, with less size and weight, RWD, more balanced weight distribution, sportier character, it's simply the G.

Some other notes on thinking ahead, if you do choose the TL you won't have to depend on someone else's car to get around in case of poor weather. Secondly, the 6MT AWD combo is a dying breed, especially on a luxury mid size sedan, where you cannot get one other than the TL and who knows if that will be around next time. Most other RWD entry sport sedans will generally continue to offer 6MT. Best of luck with whatever you decide on, enjoy.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 06-22-2012 at 03:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Thank you for that extremely thorough and well-worded reply. I think I have made up my mind.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
If all else fails, go out for a day on the town and count the number of TL's you see vs G's. I know here in Orlando, the number of G's I see daily is probably triple the # of TL's (if not more). Even better, the fact that probably 1 out of every 5 TL's I see is FWD...icing on the cake.

Obviously that's not gonna make up your mind for you, but at least put one more check on the TL side
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I drove the G37, and was thinking of getting one, but here in UT I could not find a RWD manual (they pretty much only sell AWD and FWD). Being that I only wanted a stick I went with the TL. For me the G was to small for the family, so I was really looking at the M series. The M56 is an awesome car! But it as too much money for me to justify spending. That said, I liked the g37 and the TL about the same, it just came down to transmission, AWD, and room for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I sense alot of hate to the TL for some reason .

And the TL finally got "Electronic Telescopic Steering Wheel?" Since when? Mine doesn't have that! Actually, that is one thing i wish Acura did put in, power tilt and Telescopic like my G37 has.

I just don't get why all the negative against the TL. I also have both cars, and love them both equally. They are equal in quality imo, actually my G is solid as a rock and has never seen the dealer for any type of warranty issues. My first TL had issues, but my 2012 is just as solid. No issues. Again, it's preference, but bottom line both cars are great cars that serve different purposes.

This is a matter of do you like vanilla or chocolate better. I've said elsewhere I consider the G and TL equals, right under the 3 series.

However, the G has a smaller turning radius. CR says the G is it's favorite ELLPS. The G interior with the accents beats the TLs interior by a long shot. (of course IMO). The G is faster, but would only make a difference on a track.

For 2012, the TL finally got the electric telescoping steering wheel. The sound system is better in the TL although you need speciality discs no longer manufactured in quantity to take advantage of it.

Other than that everything is preference. The shifter from what I understand is better in the TL, but I now drive an auto.

I think Acura beats Lexus in overcharging for service visits. In almost one year of ownership I have shelled out exactly $41 in maintenance costs for the G. (Not including tips to the service advisor)

But the OP should drive both and then say what are the likes and dislikes. To me the decision was made after I rented the car and put 1,500 miles on it.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Get both! Variety is the spice of life

I did just that!!!! LMAO
Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
OP, as I said in the other thread I'm biased since I went with the G37. In 2010 I enjoyed the TL from the inside, but could not get over the polarizing front end.

Today, the MMC TL is much more tolerable, but I do not need such a large car for a daily driver. Two years later I still enjoy my car. In two years I've had a seat heater switch replaced (it was binding), a few rattles and a transmission software update done. Not much else if IIRC.
Not to get off topic, but there's a transmission software update? Can you elaborate on this a little? Any noticeable changes?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hatepotholez
Not to get off topic, but there's a transmission software update? Can you elaborate on this a little? Any noticeable changes?
Web search itb12-027.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by hatepotholez
About a month ago Infiniti released a transmission software update that addresses some of the issues associated with the 7AT. Most people experience either a lag after coasting or trying to accelerate out of a turn, also a harsh down shift would be present as well. The update is specifically for '10-11 MY. Nothing for the '09s as of yet and the '12s seem to have different programming from the other years.

Since the TCM update has been done on my car (about 700+ miles driven) the lag is no longer present most of the time and the harsh downshifts are now completely gone. The car feels much more livelier, responsive, including an increase in fuel economy that myself and other owners have experienced.

As mentioned above itb12-027 is the one you want to look at. http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-seda...ogram-100.html
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CerberusKy
I drove the G37, and was thinking of getting one, but here in UT I could not find a RWD manual (they pretty much only sell AWD and FWD). Being that I only wanted a stick I went with the TL. For me the G was to small for the family, so I was really looking at the M series. The M56 is an awesome car! But it as too much money for me to justify spending. That said, I liked the g37 and the TL about the same, it just came down to transmission, AWD, and room for me.
Fwd g37? Lol...