Dealership Technician test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
Dealership Technician test drive?

I just wanted to get some feedback on how comfortable members here are with leaving their car for service at an Acura dealership and having the technician road testing it in your absence.

I ask this because i have heard of and read on other forums that some techs will turn a test drive into a joy ride.So far i always wait at the dealership for my car and there was never a need for the car to be road tested by the tech.I am just thinking ahead and would like to hear from other members how they deal with leaving their car at dealerships and what concerns they have doing it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Unless you monitor the entry/exit point of the garage all the time, otherwise there's no way of telling if the tech has taken your car out for a spin, while moving your car out to the wash booth at the other side of the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Get a dashcam.
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I don't see an issue here. Techs need to test drive the cars they repair. If they damage your car, the dealership will cover it.

About all you can do is mark down the miles or reset one of the trip computers.

IMO, it's nothing to worry about. A quality dealership wouldn't be too keen on their techs joyriding in customers cars.
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I don't see an issue here. Techs need to test drive the cars they repair. If they damage your car, the dealership will cover it.

About all you can do is mark down the miles or reset one of the trip computers.

IMO, it's nothing to worry about. A quality dealership wouldn't be too keen on their techs joyriding in customers cars.

I asked many of my friends this very question and they all had concerns about a Tech road testing their cars.Being in that industry for 18 years i have a little knowledge about what goes on,i wanted to hear some feedback from members here.
Not all damage is immediately apparent,think rental car here.

I am posting a link to an article that makes good reading.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...152707580.html
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KarKraze
I asked many of my friends this very question and they all had concerns about a Tech road testing their cars.Being in that industry for 18 years i have a little knowledge about what goes on,i wanted to hear some feedback from members here.
Not all damage is immediately apparent,think rental car here.

I am posting a link to an article that makes good reading.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...152707580.html
*shrug* I don't know what to tell you other than stay with the car the entire time it's at the dealership/shop.

I still think it's not worth worrying about.. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yah, its not like our cars are ferrari's or lambos...no need to be paranoid....after a while, a car is just a car to them....IMO
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I have bought three Acuras from my dealer so I know the Service Manager and I know the one Tech who works on my car exclusively. Given that, I have no issues leaving my car with them. Besides that, on my service report, they always record "in" mileage and "out" mileage.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Other then an oil change all cars that have been worked on should be test driven. It's the proper way to do a good business. I had the transmission replaced in my CLS and they left the bolts loose on the left control arm. A test drive would have fixed this before I took my car home and it would have been nice that they at least made sure the transmission worked correctly before they delivered it to me. So I was extra pissed at them for their horrible workmanship. I have bought 3 more Acura's from another dealer because they didn't test drive my car.

Also I don't think a tech can drive my car any worse then I do.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
I won't be worry too much about it, since the techs will have driven the same types of Acura's everyday, so there's nothing new or special in joyriding your TL, unless you have a NSX, which they hardly see one and get their hands on servicing one.

However, leaving the car to valet parking is a definite NO NO.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
I don't even think twice about it. Mind you I have been going to the same dealer for over 20 years and expect it to be test driven when necessary. I trust the service people here and have never had any issues in the past that haven't been resolved.
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I look forward to the opportunity of having someone treat my car nicely for a few miles for a change.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I'm not worried. They're paid per job, so they're usually in a hurry to finish your car and get working on the next. If anything they might not be thorough enough with the test drive, depending on the issue.

It's the wash guys/lot porters who get paid per hour you have to worry about. They get bored.

Last edited by Ken1997TL; 05-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Just leave the parking break engaged and remove the handle. That'll slow'em down.
Blaze9 (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I wouldn't be comfortable letting them drive my car either. Of course I'm not even comfortable letting my wife carry things past my car in the garage, or parking next to people, or valeting...or just about anything that could possibly put a scratch or dent in my baby.

With that said, it's unfortunately something you have to deal with. Just make sure you do a thorough inspection upon picking it up.
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by KarKraze
I just wanted to get some feedback on how comfortable members here are with leaving their car for service at an Acura dealership and having the technician road testing it in your absence.

I ask this because i have heard of and read on other forums that some techs will turn a test drive into a joy ride.So far i always wait at the dealership for my car and there was never a need for the car to be road tested by the tech.I am just thinking ahead and would like to hear from other members how they deal with leaving their car at dealerships and what concerns they have doing it.
I have been lucky to never have to leave my car where it needed the tech to test drive it, if I had to I would want to wait and insist they do not take it on the road without me.
KarKraze (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'm not worried. They're paid per job, so they're usually in a hurry to finish your car and get working on the next. If anything they might not be thorough enough with the test drive, depending on the issue.

It's the wash guys/lot porters who get paid per hour you have to worry about. They get bored.
I agree with you there. They never wash my cars, they know better
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Drifting

First and foremost,thanks to all who replied to this thread,you have stated your opinion based on your experience and the general consensus seems to be that most of you are comfortable having your car road tested in your absence.

I am not and i realize i may very well be in the minority,regardless of what car i am driving from Tl to exotic, investing the money,time and effort in keeping my car pristine i would darn well be interested in knowing who is driving my car and how and where it is being driven,being in possession of something that you do not own does not give you the right to treat it any different from how you would treat you own.Of course there is no shortage of people who don't care.

To anyone who viewed this thread with sarcasm,you would be surprised how quickly your opinion and attitude would change if you became a victim.

Of course i am also stating my opinion based on experience and the things i have seen happen in the industry, perhaps that is why it is somewhat jaded,i will agree that the priority should be on finding a shop that is trustworthy.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
I'll tell my horrible story but it all came from the damn wash guys. Brought my 09 back in 10 off the showroom floor. It was a CPO and the car was clean. They pulled the car out to top it off and for some reason the wash guys got a hold of it.

Finished up the deal and went to get my car when a manager came in and said " sorry Sir we have some bad news about your car ". The wash guys accidently placed the power washer to close to the passenger mirror and paint was remeoved about the size of a silver dollar. Great, I now have a car that is damaged before it even leaves the lot.

I went to look at the mirror and the whole back of it looks like he sandblasted the paint off and a silver dollar size is an understatement. He apologizes and states he will have his paint guy fix it on Tuesday (day is currently Thursday) of next week. Hands me the keys and says bring it back Monday. I laugh at him handing back the keys telling him to tear up the contract because there is no way in hell I'm taking the car home looking like that.

The Owner of the Dealership comes out looks at the car and asks how can we make this right (not the first Acura I purchased from them). I tell him that I'm not leaving with a car payment for a car that I don't have. He says I totally agree but there are no other TLs here for loaner cars. Gave me a 2011 TSX with 3 miles on it. Said to drive it until my car is ready.

Receive a phone call Wednesday of the following week from the dealership. Salesman says the car is ready and the paint was a perfect match. He wants to bring me the car and trade out for the loaner. Now it's a thunderstorm going on and raining like the great flood of the olden days. I state that it would be better to wait since the weather is terrible and he insists. I tell him ill call back tomorrow and not able to do it today. Hour later my doorbell rings, this idiot drove the car to my house after I told him not to bring the car out in the weather.

I open the garage door and he pulls it in. Look at the passenger mirror and not only did the paint come off, it stained the mirror and you can see where it ran off and hit the rear passenger window and chrome molding. He stands there looking like an idiot stating he wanted to get my car to me. What kind of idiot takes fresh painted car outside in a rainstorm?

I call the dealership and tell them I want the manager immediately. After explaining my concerns and that I stated I didn't want my car driven in this type of weather he agrees and tells me how sorry he is and to bring the car back when the weather clears. Three days later I take the car in and speak with the manager. He looks at the mirror and shakes his head. He apologizes and states to order a new mirror for the car and since it's prepainted it will match perfectly. Gives me a loaner TSX again and I'm on my way.

Week and a half goes by and the dealership calls and states the car is ready I can come and pick it up. Finally it's been almost three weeks and I'm going to get to keep my car and start to enjoy it. I arrive at the dealership and you have to be kidding me. The car is parked out by the median and pulled across the curb. I look at the car and shake my head. The bottom of the front spoilers are pushed up under the car.

I walk inside and they greet me with the keys and said your car is ready. I shake my head and tell her I'm tired of this BS. the car is on the curb and front spoilers are pushed up under the car. She walks out and looks at it and says I want you to leave the car here and the manager will be here. 20 mins goes by and the owner meets me in the parking lot. Looks at the car and says this shit is f-----g ricdilious. What can we do to fix this.

I tell him I'm tired of this and I have not had my car for over three weeks. It was damaged on two seperate occasions by the lot and I'm tired of driving a TSX while paying for a TL. He agreed and told the manager to get the lot guy out here that last drove the car. Goofy looking guy walks out and greets the owner and asks how can he help. Manager asks did you park the car here. He says yes, I parked it earlier this morning. Owner tells him to look at the front of the car. He does and states my bad, didn't know I was that close to the curb. Owner tells him not to worry it won't happen again, your FIRED. Owner looks at me and says I will give you the new TL that I'm using and i'll drive the TSX.

I leave the lot in a new 11 TL fully loaded with 1300 miles on it. A week later I get a call and stated to come in and pick up the car. When I arrived the car is in the bay on a lift. I look and the owner comes over and points to the bottom of the car. Shows everything is new and we are going to lower the car and you drive it out of here. We enjoy replacing new stuff on your car but now we want you to enjoy your car.

Since then when I go to the same dealer they now use a water hose and no power washer, cars are parked out in the middle of the lot and never by the curbs lol. It was a very trying experience.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think u just had idiots handling Ur car.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Paranoia, big destroya.....
compewterbleu (05-21-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I have know people who called Springfield Acura, multiple times to complain about technicians racing. Doing 70 plus in a 25 zone. I have seen the sprint runs they give the cars new and repairs. If warranty work arises in the future, I would never go to that dealership. New car pricing is horrible to match the service. Of course I expect this not to be the norm.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I am not a big fan of having any of my cars driven by the techs, but sometimes it's neccessary.

First off, when I bring in my cars for service I NEVER let them wash it. I will walk around the car with the SA while he fills out the condition report, and I will usually comment to the SA in regards to how clean the car is and also tell him "as you can see there isn't a single mark on it".

When I get the car back I walk around and inspect it before I leave. Only once I had a problem and that was years ago with Infiniti. Routine service and the car never left the dealer, but they cracked a fog light and replaced it free of charge

Last edited by JT4; 05-11-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Im not a huge fan of them driving my car, but when they do i hear my car being started up and i stand outside under the trees and watch what they do with my car lol. They know im there.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
It's a neccessary evil, as some say, at times. But heck, I've had my dealership top my vehicle off with fuel a few times after they've done a road test.