Dealership Service Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Dealership Service Rant

Sorry, just need someplace to vent.

The rear molding on the drivers side of the back windshield (chrome w/rubber weatherstrip) of my 2012 TL had to be ordered recently, as the rubber weatherstrip had pulled out. This was under warranty.

I went to the dealer this morning to have it installed. When I went out to get in the car and leave after they finished, I found that the chrome trim piece in front of it (runs along the entire roof basically from the A-pillar back to where it meets the piece they replaced) was basically CREASED in two places. It looks like they tried to pry it up and it bent, leaving creases/dents in it. The piece that they replaced wasn't flush like it wasn't even clipped in right.

I took the service advisor back out to look at it and I was basically like - WTF? He called the kid mechanic out that did it and he just shrugged. "I don't know how it got like that" was his explanation.

The advisor told him to go order both a new complete set of trim (both pieces, including the one they just replaced) and said they would replace them at the same time. Of course this is being done at no charge, but still.

I'm thoroughly annoyed with this dealer. We just moved here from St. Louis, where there were two great dealers. There is only one here in Richmond and they are the only game in town. My partner took his 2014 RDX to have the oil changed a few weeks ago and it took them almost two hours! They seem to do things very half-a**ed and their "mechanics" don't even seem very skilled or knowledgeable, let alone professional (I won't even mention the fact that one of them was wearing a dealership T-shirt and jean shorts today).

Can't wait until they call me with my service survey - I'm hoping that Acura corporate calls with a survey as well. When they called about the 2-hour oil change complaint that they got on their survey, their excuse was that they are always short handed on Saturdays. (Gee, then maybe schedule more staff?) And to make up for it they'd like to detail it sometime for free.

If today's stellar service is any indication, there's no way they're touching it to "detail" it!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I was in VA last week - Harrisonburg to be exact and my AC wasn't up to par for the 90+ temps they were having. So I went on line to see if there was a local Acura dealer. NOPE, not for miles and miles. So maybe supply vs. demand............
Another option to consider is Honda dealers. There were three relatively local, but I opted to head home and have it looked at in Boston.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
all i can say is don't let them wash/detail your car, they'll swirl the shit out of it.

I'd be pissed about this stuff too - try and look at the bright side, they could have gone the extra mile and told you get fucked when you asked them to fix the chrome - i'm sure theres more than one dealerships that deal with issues in that manner. I'm sad to hear you'll be going back a second time, but at least they know you're extra diligent and expect the best service and will hopefully treat your car with added care in the future. any other issues pop up, you should change dealers if possible.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Well at least they are taking responsible for the mistake and fixing it. I wouldn't give them bad scores on the corporate survey. Just don't give them your future business.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by lift3d_
all i can say is don't let them wash/detail your car, they'll swirl the shit out of it.

I'd be pissed about this stuff too - try and look at the bright side, they could have gone the extra mile and told you get fucked when you asked them to fix the chrome - i'm sure theres more than one dealerships that deal with issues in that manner. I'm sad to hear you'll be going back a second time, but at least they know you're extra diligent and expect the best service and will hopefully treat your car with added care in the future. any other issues pop up, you should change dealers if possible.
^^ I was going to say the same thing..

I won't let them wash my car when it's in for service, no way they're detailing it.
lift3d_ (06-25-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
will the dealer mess up a regular complimentary wash or is it their detailing methods that causes the swirl damage?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
That's what I was thinking. They are handling it with professional courtesy. Replacing all molding and making no big deal about it. I went through a major fiasco with my dealer but couldn't be mad because they constantly replaced everything that was damaged and kept me in a newer TL. Only thing I could complain about is that it wasn't AWD. Not mad because I tried every dumb thing I would never attempt in mine lol.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
When people say they dont let the dealer wash their car while in for service I'm just like "So you trust them to do real work but dont trust them to wash something? hmmm"

Detailing I understand, this takes skill and the proper equipment. But they are more likely to mess the car up during an oil change than a car wash.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
When people say they dont let the dealer wash their car while in for service I'm just like "So you trust them to do real work but dont trust them to wash something? hmmm"
The difference is, the person who is working on your car is a trained technician where as the person who is washing your car is a dealer lot boy with no training whatsoever. It's "here is a hose and rags... go wash that car."

Just because you are in a hospital, do you trust the hospital janitor to fulfill your prescriptions?

Umm... no thank you. Please do not wash my car.... I insist.
Heck... I don't even trust my wife to wash my car lol

Last edited by C8N; 06-26-2014 at 06:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8N:
Acura_Dude (06-26-2014), lift3d_ (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM
rock the block

Originally Posted by C8N
The difference is, the person who is working on your car is a trained technician where as the person who is washing your car is a dealer lot boy with no training whatsoever. It's "here is a hose and rags... go wash that car."

Just because you are in a hospital, do you trust the hospital janitor to fulfill your prescriptions?

Umm... no thank you. Please do not wash my car.... I insist.
Heck... I don't even trust my wife to wash my car lol
exactly...thanks for making that point.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Well........it depends!
I would bet that in many cases the guys changing oil are not real (qualified) technicians either. There are lots of "easy" jobs like oil changes and tire rotations that are done by guys not much higher up the food chain than the lot boy. Most guys installing tires and mufflers are not qualified mechanics either. At an Acura dealership I would expect most of the guys in the shop to be pretty good, but at a big box store or a muffler shop you are really playing Russian roulette.
When my tire shop installed tires on my wife's Camry they broke a wheel stud. The manager explained that his guys were not qualified to fix that. Even guys in brake shops are often not "qualified" mechanics.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM
rock the block

Originally Posted by jim_c
Well........it depends!
I would bet that in many cases the guys changing oil are not real (qualified) technicians either. There are lots of "easy" jobs like oil changes and tire rotations that are done by guys not much higher up the food chain than the lot boy. Most guys installing tires and mufflers are not qualified mechanics either. At an Acura dealership I would expect most of the guys in the shop to be pretty good, but at a big box store or a muffler shop you are really playing Russian roulette.
When my tire shop installed tires on my wife's Camry they broke a wheel stud. The manager explained that his guys were not qualified to fix that. Even guys in brake shops are often not "qualified" mechanics.
the difference here is that if mistakes like that are made, it's usually pretty damn easy to say, hey, you guys fucked up...seeing as it didn't roll into the shop like that.

with paint, they just say "eh, that wasn't us", and it's not like I have any proof to say yeah, you did. my car is still black, it's just got junior's attempt at leaving his damn signature on my trunk in scratches....
Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I think you'd be surprised how many dealership employees don't know shit. I know quite a few people from auto tech that didnt belong under someone else's car just from how I saw them work on their own car. Cutting every corner they can with even their own property.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust a dealer to do my oil change if I have the ability to do it myself.
A small reputable shop that's work is their name is a much better choice for servicing. I wouldn't say the same for large dealerships.

I wash my car weekly myself. Though I had no issue with the dealer washing my car before I picked it up. After I pick the car up and its mine I wouldn't let them wash it but I wouldnt leave my keys with a dealer for any reason other than warranty issues.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
I've been dealing exclusively with that particular dealership for over seven years and never had a problem. Having said that, the OP has a right to be livid; I sure would be. It's inexcusable. I'm sure he's had his follow up call regarding service and he should let his unhappiness be known. I have no doubt they'll respond. Acura needs to treat every customer they have like gold; the brand is not selling well these days... and there's a BMW dealership right next door.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReLaX
I've been dealing exclusively with that particular dealership for over seven years and never had a problem. Having said that, the OP has a right to be livid; I sure would be. It's inexcusable. I'm sure he's had his follow up call regarding service and he should let his unhappiness be known. I have no doubt they'll respond. Acura needs to treat every customer they have like gold; the brand is not selling well these days... and there's a BMW dealership right next door.
No follow-up call as of yet, but will probably be tomorrow, is my guess.

This TL is my 6th Acura in 12 years (all were bought in STL prior to moving here 3 months ago), and I have already made my decision that the 7th will not be bought here in Richmond. I have read good things about other dealers in NoVA and will likely drive out of my way to give them my business moving forward.

Now, that said, I don't really know anything about the sales side of this dealership's business, but the two experiences I have had thus far with their service folks have left me completely unimpressed.

IMO, how you treat customers AFTER you have their money (e.g. maintenance/service) is a better indicator of their philosophy than their salespeople are.

I think the thing that leaves me baffled about the whole thing is that I can't believe that no one but me noticed the very obvious shoddy work before they tried to give me back the car. Or did they think I wouldn't notice and be on my merry way?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^You're absolutely right about treating customers well after the sale. As a matter of fact I would let them know that before the follow up service call if necessary. I sincerely hope you get some satisfaction in this matter and, if not, I don't think anyone would blame you for taking your business elsewhere, I certainly wouldn't . Been a long time customer but I'm a bit wary now.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by ckiggins
....... Or did they think I wouldn't notice and be on my merry way?
Exactly that. They are working the law of averages and once you get outside the relatively small group of auto enthusiasts (like us on AZ), they are figuring most won't notice and there is the other group that wouldn't say anything.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
POHANKA ACURA
13911 LEE JACKSON HIGHWAY
CHANTILLY, VA. 20151
703-968-6600

I worked there for 7 years and everyone there is fully focused on their job. I know it's a hike from Richmond but I can assure you, we know our shit and will take the best care of you. I'm at Honda of Chantilly now, same owners, same work ethic.
ckiggins (06-27-2014)