Dealer scratched wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dealer scratched wheel

So, I'm stressing about this. Most people here are as meticulous about cars as I am. Rotated my tires a couple weeks ago at home and noticed a screw in one tire and a nail in another. Hand washed the car the same day, including the wheels. I took it to Acura to get the tire punctures repaired because I had a previous bad experience on my 01 CL with a tire shop putting a nice ring scratch around the hub of all my wheels. Anyway, I figured it safe to have Acura do this. Surely they wouldn't scratch my brand new 19" Advance wheels right?

Arriving at the Acura dealer, I even made small talk saying, yeah, I'd take it to a tire shop but had a bad experience with scratching wheels. They finished the job and I had to leave to pick up our kids. When I got to the location I had to stop, I thought I'd check the wheels to make sure (should have checked before I even left the dealer). There is a slice in the sidewall and a nice scuff/scratch on the edge of the wheel. WTF! Only 5 days had passed since I hand washed the wheels and it wasn't there then. I would KNOW if I hit a curb or pothole big enough to do this within 5 days. I drove back and called them. The service guy said, "Yeah, we meant to tell you the tech noticed the scratch on the wheel BEFORE he started work" My response was, why the hell didn't you tell me before he started to work, since I expressed my concern to you beforehand. Surely you'd want me to know before working. They said I'd have to talk to the service manager during the week and I've now left two messages with no response yet.

My question to you guys is does this look like something they did or did I do some damage unknowingly in these 5 days? I’m just extra suspicious now that they said they saw it, but only after I left and called to complain. Here are some pics. Note they claim the cut in the tire and scratch on the wheel were probably lined up before they took the tire off. Yes, probably true, but they still could have done the damage right? Dropped the wheel, etc. I hope these pic links work. Looks like they're not embedding but I think you can click.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
a few years back after having my tsx serviced at the local dealer I noticed a deep scratch that was not there before. I did not notice it until I parked at a Walmart. I immediately brought the car back and showed the service manager. They finally agreed to fix it. They told me to bring the car back the next day and they would provide a loaner car while it was being fixed. They did an excellent. Go to the dealer-no more phone calling.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
If the dealer doesn't want to admit to their doing, call acura consumer relations
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
i cannot stresss on how many times i have said to double check your car before you sign those damn release forums.

it only takes like 2 mins to walk around the whole car scanning it up and down..

dont even try acura consumer relations, your wasting your time.

take it as a loss and also as a lesson learned for yourself.

i had this happen to me on my first oil change on my 4g TL, they curbed my stock 18's. i saw it when i did a check up, and they told me they would fix it. i didnt even leave with my car that day, took a loaner. they suggest for me to come back another day to fix it, i told them no. lol
Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I ALWAYS have the service writer do a walk around on my car. I Make them put a note on my dash.(NO CAR WASH) I request,DO NOT park my car in ANY parking space. Always wait for my car and I quick detail BEFORE I leave the lot. My dealer knows me very WELL. They ALL know, I am an asshole if you put ANY scratch on my car. I also tip my mechanic. Same with my Miata dealer, where I am even worse. You gotta be super anal to keep the scratches off.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
take it to the dealer....i've had lot damage on my car before and they took care of it. i only take my car to the dealer for service on nice sunny days, the car is clean prior to going and i can look it over before i even drive off. my dealer knows how i am...and they don't really want to see my nasty side.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
i cannot stresss on how many times i have said to double check your car before you sign those damn release forums.

it only takes like 2 mins to walk around the whole car scanning it up and down..

dont even try acura consumer relations, your wasting your time.

take it as a loss and also as a lesson learned for yourself.

i had this happen to me on my first oil change on my 4g TL, they curbed my stock 18's. i saw it when i did a check up, and they told me they would fix it. i didnt even leave with my car that day, took a loaner. they suggest for me to come back another day to fix it, i told them no. lol
Very sorry to hear about your car. I take care of my things and my car is no exception. So I know how you must feel. That being said I must agree with "Pots". I worked at dealerships for over 20 years, including an Acura store. You do need to look over your car when your arrive at the dealership and before you leave. I know it is a PITA, but it is for your protection. From experience, I doubt the dealer is going to do anything. There is no way to tell really who did it. The dealership should have called you when they "so called" found the scratches on your wheel. At the very least, they should have called your attention to it when you picked up the car. Frankly, the Acura store I worked for would have called and noted it on your service ticket. Also my Acura store, if you were a good customer and had purchased some cars from us would replace your wheel and tire as a measure of good will. Each dealer is different, you may luck out. Let's hope so. I would not hold my breath. I also agree with "Pots" that calling Acura's customer service would be a waste. Keep us posted on your outcome.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
take it to the dealer....i've had lot damage on my car before and they took care of it. i only take my car to the dealer for service on nice sunny days, the car is clean prior to going and i can look it over before i even drive off. my dealer knows how i am...and they don't really want to see my nasty side.
Just wondering-how often do you go to the dealer for service.
Besides going to the local dealer for the annual state inspection 2 days ago I went to the dealer in PA to get the oil/filter change and tire rotation/balance on Oct. 28th (oil life 5%) It is due again for another oil change.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I never take my car to the dealer unless I have to! I have been going to the same mechanic for 20+ years and I am a good customer and he tells me exactly what's wrong with my cars and what he fixed.
He is honest with me and in turn I pay him on the spot for all his work. You need to establish a good repore with a local mechanic. Word of mouth is your best reference in finding a good one.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When I take a car in for service to any brand dealership, I walk around with the service writer taking a survey of any damage to the car when I leave it with them, and then afterwards upon taking delivery after the service is complete. I am NEVER, EVER in such a hurry that I don't have time to check it over BEFORE signing off on the work. Some places have even tried to get me to pay the bill before the car is pulled up. I tell them I will pay after I inspect the work. Do they think I am a pain? I really don't care. If they have done the work as agreed upon, they have nothing to fuss about.
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (01-01-2012)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is all good advice, thanks. Guess I got comfortable with them. They serviced my CL for 10 years and always did a good job. I'm going to be a PITA with them from here forward.

I'm now debating whether it's even worth messing with. If they refinish the wheel (assuming they work with me), I wonder if it will be the same exact shade as the others afterwards (or even have as good of a finish as factory). These wheels have a very, very slight smoke color to them but it's so subtle I'm afraid they wouldn't get it right.

Plus I know right after they refinish it, I'll probably hit a curb or something, lol!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Just wondering-how often do you go to the dealer for service.
Besides going to the local dealer for the annual state inspection 2 days ago I went to the dealer in PA to get the oil/filter change and tire rotation/balance on Oct. 28th (oil life 5%) It is due again for another oil change.
depends. 2 oil changes a year, state inspection, and whatever other annoying things the car needs (last year i was at the dealer 13 times in 7 weeks! so they got to know me quite well).

the lot damage was incurred when the car stayed the night at the dealer. i now asked them to put the car in bubble wrap when they park it in the lot after they are done with it until i come to pick up the car (if they have to give me a loaner).
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
i bet they did it and tried to cover it up. bring it back and get it fixed
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always check my car when leaving the dealer....
Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
All I can say is this sucks. Those 19" are beautys.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Little Gator
When I take a car in for service to any brand dealership, I walk around with the service writer taking a survey of any damage to the car when I leave it with them, and then afterwards upon taking delivery after the service is complete. I am NEVER, EVER in such a hurry that I don't have time to check it over BEFORE signing off on the work. Some places have even tried to get me to pay the bill before the car is pulled up. I tell them I will pay after I inspect the work. Do they think I am a pain? I really don't care. If they have done the work as agreed upon, they have nothing to fuss about.
Doing that also benefits the dealer. There are certain people that caused damage to their own car and then try to blame the dealer.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
I take pictures of my wheels and lip kit from Front, sides, to rear. Every time I drop my car off at the dealership before I go talk to the service waiter. Also when I pick it up, I must do a walk around inspection before I pay the bill and drive off. That's just me lol. GL op .