CT Engineering Supercharger conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 01:08 PM
COTM Coordinator

CT Engineering Supercharger conversation

As some of you may know by previous threads, CT Engineering is going to make a supercharger for the TL SH-AWD. It has been a while since any update regarding the production of the supercharger and I was curious to find out, so I emailed them:

Hello,

We are currently in the middle of development on a supercharger kit for the 09+ TL-SHAWD. No decision has been made on a kit for the base models vehicles at this point in time. However, we do have an exhaust system already, which fits both vehicles. You can see it at…

http://www.ct-engineering.com/store/product1579.html

Thanks for considering CTE.

Sincerely,

CT Engineering
ph. 916-635-4550
fx. 916-635-4632
info@ct-engineering.com
www.ct-engineering.com

Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:31 PM
To: info@ct-engineering.com
Subject: 09+ Acura Tl Supercharger

CT-Engineering,
Is there a Supercharger in production or will there be one in production for the 2009+ Acura TL? I know that a lot of guys on Acurazine.com are very interested in getting a supercharger for their TL's and I am one of them. Also, would there be one available for the SH-AWD as well as the base model and will it be interchangeable for auto and manual transmissions?
Like I said, a lot of guys are looking forward to a supercharger from your company, just want to know if it's worth us holding our breath for it.

Thanks,

Michael A. Rivera

I have responded asking if they have an anticipated release date and/or pricing for the supercharger. Hopefully I will get a response soon.

Last edited by MurkyRiversTL; 07-30-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 | 02:14 PM
I have car ADD

unfortunately, CT-E has the worst communication ever.

They are always "developing" the product, and will never give you a release date

if it wasnt for the superb fitment and reliability, they would be outta business in my opinion
Old 07-30-2010 | 03:14 PM
COTM Coordinator

Well, they responded rather quickly. One day response is pretty good in my book considering I cant get my vendors to respond that fast lol.

Hopefully I will get something regarding a release date. Ill keep you guys posted..... if you care lol.
Old 07-30-2010 | 04:19 PM
Drifting

I'm guessing we won't see anything until at LEAST 2011.
Old 07-30-2010 | 05:57 PM
Advanced

The exhaust looks much better than the dual-square tipped one (on the stock SHAWD). Although, the slanted exhaust on my stock 08 TL-S 6MT beats even the aftermarket one (looks-wise, IMO).

As for the supercharger, we'll wait and see. I'd rather see a turbo, but there would be too many parts to change / install. Nothing beats the sound of a blow-off valve between shifts.

I wonder how much power they'd push out of that 3.7 V6? 400? It would be a formidable sports sedan with that many ponies. And a stick? Where do I sign up?

On another note, my dealer sent me an email that he'll eat the remaining lease payments on my 08 6MT. I'm considering slipping into a 2010 6MT. Too bad the Advance Package (ventilated seats) is not available on it. I dearly miss that from my M45 days.
Old 07-30-2010 | 06:10 PM
COTM Coordinator

Well unfortunately my Outlook 2010 locked up on me at work and I have no idea if they responded or not. Ill have to wait until Monday to see if they wrote anyting back.....

Im hoping they have it out just before Christmas, it will help me justify spending 5k on myself lol.
Old 07-30-2010 | 06:37 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Well, they responded rather quickly. One day response is pretty good in my book considering I cant get my vendors to respond that fast lol.

Hopefully I will get something regarding a release date. Ill keep you guys posted..... if you care lol.

oh no, dont get me wrong, they write back in a day or two... but never give you a straight answer

i emailed them about the S/C for the 3G type-s, and got a response full of fluff... (we are currently examing the possibility of blah blah blah)

i emailed them about 4G stuff a year ago, same type of response. then i asked about the exhaust, and they said it was "in production"

they will never come out and say, yes. supercharger will be ready in 11/2010... or spring 11.... they just beat around the bush

great products tho!
Old 07-30-2010 | 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
unfortunately, CT-E has the worst communication ever.

They are always "developing" the product, and will never give you a release date

if it wasnt for the superb fitment and reliability, they would be outta business in my opinion
I beg to differ, Hondata is much worse.

A company has to choose a focus. Can't be great at everything!

Marcus
Old 07-30-2010 | 09:14 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
oh no, dont get me wrong, they write back in a day or two... but never give you a straight answer

i emailed them about the S/C for the 3G type-s, and got a response full of fluff... (we are currently examing the possibility of blah blah blah)

i emailed them about 4G stuff a year ago, same type of response. then i asked about the exhaust, and they said it was "in production"

they will never come out and say, yes. supercharger will be ready in 11/2010... or spring 11.... they just beat around the bush

great products tho!
ahhhh, I see what your saying. But in reality everyone gives a lot of fluff. IF they give straight answers and dont follow through, their reliability will go down. I guess in a way its better to never give a definitive answer unless youre absolutely sure.
Old 07-31-2010 | 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder when the icebox will be released. It's been under development for over a year.
Old 08-01-2010 | 12:46 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by jwjang86
I wonder when the icebox will be released. It's been under development for over a year.
...ditto
Old 08-01-2010 | 03:52 PM
10th Gear

Questions about Supercharger kit.....

I have a few questions about supercharger kits in general. I too have a 2010 TL AWD 6 MT and was wondering about a few things:

1) Does this violate the cars warranty?
2) How much more hp will this add to this car?
3) This will not interfere with the AWD function of the car?
4) What is a ballpark estimate for the cost for the kit and installation?
5) What negative effects could/would this kit have on the car?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I thought this was a very interesting thread and would love to hear other 2009/2010 AWD owners opinions, especially those who own the 6 MT.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2010 | 04:23 PM
Drifting

1) Does this violate the cars warranty?
Most likely it would on anything that the supercharger could break, engine, tranny, etc. If your power windows failed, those would probably still be covered.
2) How much more hp will this add to this car?
Depends since the product does not exist yet - but maybe 60-80whp
3) This will not interfere with the AWD function of the car?
Won't find this out until someone builds one and installs it, it's possible the differentials may not be able to handle the load and have a shortened life.
4) What is a ballpark estimate for the cost for the kit and installation?
Maybe around 5-8k for the kit, probably a 1-2k to install. You'd have to check the 3G forums to see what other people did with their car.
5) What negative effects could/would this kit have on the car?
Blowing your engine, or seriously degrading the life of the engine.

Needless to say, if one does come out, I'd wait a year or two after the fact to see how reliable it is, pretty much wait for my warranty to run out then think about getting it. But one thing is for certain CT makes QUALITY products, their supercharger for the NSX was a dealer installed option at one point. And I would bet many of the people SC'd with 3rd Gen or CL-S's are very happy with their purchase (but I think one guy blew a couple engines, at least one).
Old 08-01-2010 | 08:07 PM
I have car ADD

^ most blown engines, were because the end user decided to run the HBP (Hi Boost Pulley) which would yield alot more HP, but at the cost of frying your piston rings
Old 08-01-2010 | 10:08 PM
321 whp SAE

supercharger is not worth it in my opinion.. i had one on my 04 TL.. minimal gains for the money.. I remember loving my car again once i removed the s/c
Old 08-01-2010 | 11:46 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
supercharger is not worth it in my opinion.. i had one on my 04 TL.. minimal gains for the money.. I remember loving my car again once i removed the s/c
Why is that?
Old 08-02-2010 | 12:49 PM
COTM Coordinator

Here is the latest from CT-Engineering:

We do not have any pricing or release date. However, more info will be posted to the website as soon as it is available.

Sincerely,

CT Engineering
ph. 916-635-4550
fx. 916-635-4632
info@ct-engineering.com

www.ct-engineering.com

I guess BlackuraNY you were correct about the fluff lol.
Old 06-09-2012 | 01:16 AM
Acura all the way.

Question

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Here is the latest from CT-Engineering:

We do not have any pricing or release date. However, more info will be posted to the website as soon as it is available.

Sincerely,

CT Engineering
ph. 916-635-4550
fx. 916-635-4632
info@ct-engineering.com
www.ct-engineering.com

I guess BlackuraNY you were correct about the fluff lol.
So 2yrs have pass any new developments on the CY s/c?
Old 06-09-2012 | 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Cte is crazy. They produced a kit for the J35 accord but not the same J35 TL...that kit took it from 280hp to 335ish as I remember prob w a tame pulley and no cooling.

The stock kit for the Si also produced 60WHP with the big pulley. Great kits excellent reliability.
Old 06-09-2012 | 08:57 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

The fact that the J35 TL only accounts for a small fraction of the J35 Accord population, is more than enough to tell us how enthusiastic CTE is about the turbo/supercharge kit.

After all, CTE is running a business trying to make money. They are not foolish enough to undertake some money-losing projects, and risk going into restructuring one more time.
Old 06-10-2012 | 09:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by artech6spd
Correct - That is CT Engineering for you.
Old 06-10-2012 | 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by artech6spd
Digging this up and posting these BS comments doesn't help us get an SC.

The contact info is in your post, if you want action, redirect that energy in a helpfull direction and call them yourself.
Old 06-10-2012 | 05:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Digging this up and posting these BS comments doesn't help us get an SC.

The contact info is in your post, if you want action, redirect that energy in a helpfull direction and call them yourself.
+1

Marco is correct, continuous negativity won't help at all. I stopped bashing them, after CT came on the board and explained themselves.
Old 06-10-2012 | 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

The fact that the J35 TL only accounts for a small fraction of the J35 Accord population, is more than enough to tell us how enthusiastic CTE is about the turbo/supercharge kit.

After all, CTE is running a business trying to make money. They are not foolish enough to undertake some money-losing projects, and risk going into restructuring one more time.
My point was that the R&D is incrementally small when they've already made a kit for the same engine, but yes, I agree with your comment
Old 06-17-2012 | 07:33 PM
Instructor

When TLs get cheap enough on the used market that people can afford to experiment and take risks themselves, they will buy the Accord SC kit and try it on a TL themselves. After all, it's the same basic engine (probably same basic engine bay as far as fitment is concerned). CTE can't afford the liability risk, but one reasonably affluent Acura enthusiast will try it one day and might discover it works rather well....or not, and share it with the world.
Old 06-17-2012 | 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by draph
When TLs get cheap enough on the used market that people can afford to experiment and take risks themselves, they will buy the Accord SC kit and try it on a TL themselves. After all, it's the same basic engine (probably same basic engine bay as far as fitment is concerned). CTE can't afford the liability risk, but one reasonably affluent Acura enthusiast will try it one day and might discover it works rather well....or not, and share it with the world.
Without tuning it is a moot point. Their Si kit used a hondata based ecu configuration. Poorer solutions for kits have been piggyback units. Without the tuning, there is no kit. While eaton supercharges may be transferable, tuning solutions are not from platform to platform