Cross-shopping TL and new Fusion - don't laugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross-shopping TL and new Fusion - don't laugh

Thanks to everyone who posted in my first thread, about finding a 2013 Fathom Blue Pearl with Tech Package online for just a bit over $35,000.

I have shopped a few different cars, the Acura TL, the new Ford Fusion Titanium, 2013 Accord touring as well as the Accord coupe V6, the Mazda 6. I have pretty much narrowed things down to the TL and the Fusion. I don't have any quotes on a Fusion yet, and just the one price on the TL...but feel a little stuck. I like the exterior of the new Fusion better, but there is more "car" in the TL, and the sound system in the tech package is awesome.

It is just now Ford is between 2013 and 2014 with their Fusions, so there is some movement on the prices for the current model, so I would expect a Fusion would be a few thousand less than the TL.

Obviously I am posting in an Acura forum, so I am already a little biased this direction, just looking for some information or advice from actual owners.

A couple of things, I initially thought the Fusion's gas mileage figure was quite a bit better than the TL's, but from reading actual mileage, it seems they are pretty close. I don't shop for cars very often (I am sure you can tell).

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I love the new Fusion, but honestly the materials in the Ford are not on par with the TL. I would go TL all the way, better warranty, resale value, etc etc etc.

We just went through with with the Accord, gf wanted to look at it and it has more goodies than a TL or RDX, but she was too accustomed to the materials, fit and finish of Acura, so the Acorrd got scratched form the list.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I was in a similar situation between the new Fusion, Mazda 6, and the TL. The Mazda was great but AWD was pretty important to me and the Mazda doesn't have much power.

The quality of materials and fit and finish were vastly superior in the TL, as well as the ride compared to the Fusion. Also the real world mileage on the Fusion is disappointing as well from what I could find online, it isn't much better than the TLs ~23-26 average.

Not to take anything away from the Fusion, it is a great car, but the TL is a much better car and at the price they are going at it they beat the Fusion in every regard.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Co-worker has a black fusion hybrid - beautiful car, Ford did an excellent job ripping off the looks of an Aston while keeping it somewhat original flavor. However, the interior is cheap and doesn't flow at all. Seats are not very comfortable, stereo sucks. Overall fit and finish are no where near the level of the TL - walk around a few at a ford dealer and pay attention to the symmetry and the lines, they don't match. We've found several spots on his car that barely line up.

He's had it about 6 months, and already been to the dealer twice for electrical issues, and a bad key - oh, that's another point he hates - the keyfob has to be inserted for the car to start, not keyless like the TL. He is getting around 39mpg though, which blows the TL away
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
First question: what is your allotted budget?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Steve – Welcome to shopping for an Acura in WA. If you live in Spokane or Eastern WA, why are you not looking at the SH-AWD? I compared the Taurus to the TL and decided that the AWD system in the Acura was superior as well as the ride, comfort, look and resale value. I also didn’t want a car that looks like a rental car someone picked up at the airport… I drive a lot so I wanted something comfortable that I would enjoy long rides in. I can say, that I have not rented the new Fusion, but I have rented older ones and the TL is way more car than the Ford. There is nothing like pushing down on the gas petaland flying past everyone else on the road…

With that said, I have the TL SH-AWD Tech and it is complete. If I had a base or non AWD I might not feel the same way. I was concerned about gas mileage at first, then decided to stop looking and just pay the price. The TL actually does not get as good of gas mileage as my older Toyota SUV did, so again, I just stopped looking and decided to enjoy the ride instead.

If you are budget conscience and are concerned about gas mileage, repair bills and such, don’t buy an Acura or any Luxury car. If you are just doing your due diligence and trying to buy the right car for a smart price, I did really well at Hinshaw in Fife. I did not get as good as deal as I have on other brands of cars, but I got a good price when looking at what others have paid for their TL’s.

Last edited by Thermoguy; 07-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Nothing to laugh at, I find the preconceived "mainstream vs. premium" concept often pointless nowadays, there are truly gorgeaous mainstream cars that can hold their own against the premium.

The new Fusion is drop dead gorgeaous and even Car & Driver admitted that at first look your could think that it competes with the 60K+ Audi A7.

Now, you will notice that the interior fit and finish and general quality being noticeably higher in the Acura which is to be expected given the price difference.

Both cars have more than enough electronics to satisfy your average modern user.

The TL SH-AWD obviously run significantly away from the Fusion with its world class AWD system which turns the car in a truly excellent sport sedan and the free revving 305 HP V6 engine.

The Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost I guess can hold its own against a FWD TL, the Fusion is somewhat smaller inside.

You cannot go wrong with both, with the Fusion you may save some significant dough and still own a beautiful car, it really turns heads.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Steve, I love the Aston-style look of the Fusion!

Best of luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Nothing to laugh at, I find the preconceived "mainstream vs. premium" concept often pointless nowadays, there are truly gorgeaous mainstream cars that can hold their own against the premium.

The new Fusion is drop dead gorgeaous and even Car & Driver admitted that at first look your could think that it competes with the 60K+ Audi A7.

Now, you will notice that the interior fit and finish and general quality being noticeably higher in the Acura which is to be expected given the price difference.

Both cars have more than enough electronics to satisfy your average modern user.

The TL SH-AWD obviously run significantly away from the Fusion with its world class AWD system which turns the car in a truly excellent sport sedan and the free revving 305 HP V6 engine.

The Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost I guess can hold its own against a FWD TL, the Fusion is somewhat smaller inside.

You cannot go wrong with both, with the Fusion you may save some significant dough and still own a beautiful car, it really turns heads.
This is why opinions on cars are mostly subjective. I find the Fusion ugly.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
We can give all the opinions you want but you gotta get behind the wheel and observe everything to really compare the two. I think you will notice a sharp contrast.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Drive them back to back. Try to schedule it so that you get out of one and into the other. That should tell you what you want to know.