Consider a 4G 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Consider a 4G 6spd

So I have a 3G 6spd now. I love the TL overall. Mine has the Brembos and non-navi. I just passed 106k, and it runs great. The suspension is a tab mushy and I was considering replacing with Aspec suspension, but then I found a 4G 6spd Tech.

My main concern is reading about the oil consumption issue. What else should I be looking out for?

I really want an AWD 6spd, and the TL fits the bill, but the oil consumption gets me.

Need some feedback from everyone.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
DO IT, THE SH-AWD WITH MANUAL IS WELL WORTH IT. I'm a bit biased, however. I have a '14 6MT, 41 miles when purchased with almost 17K on it currently and I have not noticed any oil consumption issues whatsoever. It is a common issue with these vehicles, however, there are many threads on it which I'm sure you're aware of. But again, I haven't had any problems with my own car.

-greg
Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
55k Miles on mine (89k KM) and oil consumption has not been an issue for me at all, hope it stays that way.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Any other major issues I should be concerned with? It's a 2012 that I'm considering.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Pull the trigger!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
buy it

Before its gone. I had a 3g type s, upgraded to the 4g 2012. No regrets. I loved my TLS but like this better. They are solid cars.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
No issues with mine... no oil consumption at all
Old 02-17-2015, 06:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put 104K on my 2010 six speed and already have 32K on the 2014. Both cars have been solid and with snow tires, an absolute tank in Cleveland winter conditions. There is nothing like a 4 wheel controlled drift in the snow. Go for it if you can find one.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Another happy 6MT owner here. 65k miles and no oil consumption issue.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I also say do it. Due to the nature of online forums, you rarely hear from owners with no issues vs those posting trying to get resolutions to their problems. The 4G IMHO is a solid vehicle.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Due to the nature of online forums, you rarely hear from owners with no issues vs those posting trying to get resolutions to their problems.
This!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Thanks, gents. After our recent snow storm in VA, the seller backed out and gave me my deposit back. I think having that AWD came in handy. No worries, I'll be back in the hunt soon enough.

I really look forward to finding one soon. I think I'm convinced after doing some more research that the 4G is the way to go. I like the luxury, and can't beat the AWD 6spd.

I'll be part of this group soon enough.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have put 5k kms on my 2011 6speed, so I can't really comment on oil consumption, however I can comment on the shifter. As others have experienced, mine was a bit notchy at times, sometimes as smooth as bother, and other times it was like shifting in a bucket of rocks. Also, within that short time span, the shifter had popped out of third 2 or 3 times. I've recently changed transmission oil to the GM Syncromesh FM stuff, and immediately the popping out feeling, yes there was even a feeling most of the times shifting to third, was completely gone. The notchiness has turned into a much more mechanical feeling.

Happy hunting!

Jag
Old 02-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm loving mine! The 6sp seems like it's hard to find I had to drive a long distance to buy mine! They are worth every penny!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Before its gone. I had a 3g type s, upgraded to the 4g 2012. No regrets. I loved my TLS but like this better. They are solid cars.
mr. silver, it seems like you did a lot of research on purchasing a 4 g tl 6mt. what are some of the items that you love about your car? I have read some of the threads and i know they sell super fast. I saw one for sale last week and was sold within 2 days. I have my cls 6mt for 12 years it is a lot of fun to drive and super reliable. I am contemplating a rl, rlx, or gs 350 and i know those are only in automatic. I really didn't consider the tl till a couple of days ago.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3.2cls6speedmt
mr. silver, it seems like you did a lot of research on purchasing a 4 g tl 6mt. what are some of the items that you love about your car? I have read some of the threads and i know they sell super fast. I saw one for sale last week and was sold within 2 days. I have my cls 6mt for 12 years it is a lot of fun to drive and super reliable. I am contemplating a rl, rlx, or gs 350 and i know those are only in automatic. I really didn't consider the tl till a couple of days ago.
I had a CLS awhile back. It was a nice car but its no comparison to the 4G TL.
I love the looks of the car, the tech, the sound system, the drive. What can I say, there's nothing I don't love about it, and I would take it over any of the cars you listed. If your a manual driver like me, you will be bored by an automatic. I feel certain if you were to go drive one of these cars(if one ever comes up in your area) you would buy it immediately. They are that fun to drive. I drove one, the deal fell thru unfortunately and when another nice one came up I liked, I bought it sight unseen. (it was 800 miles away)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Try to drive a 4G 6MT if you can, even if it's not one you're interested in. I think it will make your decision pretty easy. The combo of the MT and the SH-AWD is really sweet.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
The 3G TL was a very good sporty FWD sedan...the 4G TL SH-AWD 6MT is on an entirely different level IMHO...it is one of the best sport sedan in its class and size, including the Germans....the best (and sadly last) Acura sedan ever built (with the RL) since the Legend era, in my book.

I traded my SH-AWD 6MT at a little over 40K, no issues at all no excessive oil consumption...it was gone from the dealer lot within a week I believe....just do the math.....
Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by saturno_v
The 3G TL was a very good sporty FWD sedan...the 4G TL SH-AWD 6MT is on an entirely different level IMHO
Pretty accurate. Guys who are stuck on the 3G TL/TLS thinking there is nothing better have never driven the SHAWD 6MT. Took me awhile to come around. Glad I did.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Pretty accurate. Guys who are stuck on the 3G TL/TLS thinking there is nothing better have never driven the SHAWD 6MT. Took me awhile to come around. Glad I did.

do you live in a major city? do you have to drive in daily traffic?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Drifting

do you live in a major city? do you have to drive in daily traffic?
I hit some pretty major traffic being in the tri state area. Not NYC traffic, but Jersey traffic which can get pretty ugly also. Driving a manual has never bothered me in traffic.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:33 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
The 3G TL was a very good sporty FWD sedan...the 4G TL SH-AWD 6MT is on an entirely different level IMHO...it is one of the best sport sedan in its class and size, including the Germans....the best (and sadly last) Acura sedan ever built (with the RL) since the Legend era, in my book.

I traded my SH-AWD 6MT at a little over 40K, no issues at all no excessive oil consumption...it was gone from the dealer lot within a week I believe....just do the math.....
Wow that is fast. I saw the listing, asking price of what, $28k?

Mind me asking how much they gave you on the trade-in?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy

I'd like to know this as well.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Drifting

I doubt it was 28k asking price for a 2010, even in manual form.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Sometimes, a look of a car will detract buyers no matter how well it handles/performs.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts

I did talk with the salesman (he sold us the Grand Cherokee SRT) before the Acura was gone and I was messing with him, we almost did become friends and he hopes to sell me a Charger Hellcat

I told him before they sold it: "You guys are nuts, you are not going to sell it for 28K, you wish!! I think you will get for it no more than 24-25 tops", he laughed and said "probably so".

However, considered how fast she went....who knows...
Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Sometimes, a look of a car will detract buyers no matter how well it handles/performs.
I agree. Yesterday it was sunny and I had some free time, so I went to check out the new C7 Corvette. On paper it looks awesome. Lots of tech, comfortable, appears easy to maintain, and a relative bargain considering the 455 HP V8 monster bases at $55k.

But for some reason, I just can't get past the looks. It's very aggressive and flashy, almost too flashy IMHO. Might be the dark rims the dealership had in the showroom I'm not a fan of.... I'll probably check it out again when I go for a test drive
Old 04-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Drifting

The C7 is quite a car. Outfitted properly (i.e., no dealer-bling crap), it's busy looking, but not bad. The interior is much improved. No one car argue with the performance, especially for the price.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The C7 is quite a car. Outfitted properly (i.e., no dealer-bling crap), it's busy looking, but not bad. The interior is much improved. No one car argue with the performance, especially for the price.
Agreed. I too think it's the bling bling crap the dealer put on the car.

Looking at some online pics, it looks pretty nice in white and laguna blue with aluminum alloy wheels.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Helps keep the price down for the smart ones.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Drifting

True, I guess I'm biased but the way some guys talk about the 4G they make it out like its a frickin Pontiac Aztec or something.
When I look at my car I see this (with different wheels). To me, that is a beautiful car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypA9eRLbtwM#t=14
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

I've owned a cls6 for 2 years until I bought my 6mt shawdy. Heres the pros and cons that i can pick out

The cls had really nice seats, probably the best seats ive sat in till this day. With that being said the ride in the tl in general is stiff. I noticed you were looking at the gs and other luxury cars. The seats in the tl is quite rock hard compared to the cl. Maybe its my age catching up to me but i wouldnt take my tl on long roadtrips

The exhaust on the cls is something i still miss today and havent found an answer to replicate that onto the tl. Unfortunately the aftermarkets are a bit too loud or just not the right tone

Now onto the pros of getting a shawdy. The handling. Take this thing on an onramp. The faster you accelerate the more the car turns in till you feel the g's like a rollercoaster. This alone was my selling point
If you live in areas where it snows. This thing is a monster and idiot proof. Just point and shoot

The throws on the shifter is much shorter and nicer than the cls
When you do test drive a tl dont be alarmed on the high clutch engagement. Its actually normal

All in all i wont be trading in my tl anytime soon cause the performance far outweighs the ride comfort although i still wish i had kept my cls6 for daily driving
Old 04-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ray01
I've owned a cls6 for 2 years until I bought my 6mt shawdy. Heres the pros and cons that i can pick out

The cls had really nice seats, probably the best seats ive sat in till this day. With that being said the ride in the tl in general is stiff. I noticed you were looking at the gs and other luxury cars. The seats in the tl is quite rock hard compared to the cl. Maybe its my age catching up to me but i wouldnt take my tl on long roadtrips

The exhaust on the cls is something i still miss today and havent found an answer to replicate that onto the tl. Unfortunately the aftermarkets are a bit too loud or just not the right tone

Now onto the pros of getting a shawdy. The handling. Take this thing on an onramp. The faster you accelerate the more the car turns in till you feel the g's like a rollercoaster. This alone was my selling point
If you live in areas where it snows. This thing is a monster and idiot proof. Just point and shoot

The throws on the shifter is much shorter and nicer than the cls
When you do test drive a tl dont be alarmed on the high clutch engagement. Its actually normal

All in all i wont be trading in my tl anytime soon cause the performance far outweighs the ride comfort although i still wish i had kept my cls6 for daily driving
Interesting Ray. I'm a bit older than you and I find the TL's seats to be really really comfortable but definitely more supportive than the CLS.
The TL AWD is a stiffer ride for sure, but to me it feels great. Different strokes I guess.
As far as comparing the two cars, well, there really is no comparison IMO. CLS is 12 years old, it was very nice for its time. But the 4G TL is light years better IMO.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Drifting

"Now onto the pros of getting a shawdy. The handling. Take this thing on an onramp. The faster you accelerate the more the car turns in till you feel the g's like a rollercoaster. This alone was my selling point
If you live in areas where it snows. This thing is a monster and idiot proof. Just point and shoot."

^^ This. You nailed it. This is the principal reason I bought this car.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
"Now onto the pros of getting a shawdy. The handling. Take this thing on an onramp. The faster you accelerate the more the car turns in till you feel the g's like a rollercoaster. This alone was my selling point
If you live in areas where it snows. This thing is a monster and idiot proof. Just point and shoot."

^^ This. You nailed it. This is the principal reason I bought this car.
How much of a degree of curve are we talking about here and how much are you accelerating up to ?

I've yet to really go crazy on a curve. Except when I took a really sharp curve going like 45 on my first test drive of a 6 speed in Jersey (not intentional). I was pretty pleased that I didn't die
Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

How much of a degree of curve are we talking about here and how much are you accelerating up to ?

I've yet to really go crazy on a curve. Except when I took a really sharp curve going like 45 on my first test drive of a 6 speed in Jersey (not intentional). I was pretty pleased that I didn't die
Mainly take on the hwy onramps that sort of does a uturn (30kph limit)
Ive learnt you gotta enter the ramp slow exit fast. The most ive gotten it to the end of the turn was 95kph. Mind you ive only done this twice as ive almost shat my pants the last time. I usually cruise 80kph in 4th gear. I'm also 6mt and on 18's. I hear it handles better on 19's

Last edited by ray01; 04-28-2015 at 09:05 PM.