Color Line-Up Changed for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Color Line-Up Changed for 2013?

I just drove the '13 TL SHAWD and after I got home I went to the config and noticed that all the great colors of prior years are no longer there.

I noticed the names are different for the blue and white, didn't see Grigio or the Mayan Brown color... what's going on!?! They making the build easier so phase out the car?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
.. i think its still the same color.. but they brought the fathom blue pearl back.. it only comes in grey interior which sucks..

they have BRP II but only comes in tan interior
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
they also brought back the Dark blue color (mine) its called something else now. still a sexy ass color though
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
The Mayan Brown was never a popular color on the 4G TL.

This color has been discontinued even before the 2013 model year.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Colors are exactly the same as 2012, except Taupe interior has been renamed Graystone and Fathom Blue Pearl has now been added.

Mayan Bronze and Forged silver production were ended earlier in the 2012 model year, and not produced since then.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just with the Blue one was available with BLACK interior. Can I custom order one the way I want?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Chicken and Egg question: Is shades of gray/silver, white, and black the most popular colors because that's all that's offered, or do consumers really "demand" these boring colors more than anything else? I suspect it's more because they are cheaper colors to produce - just another way to save a few bucks per car to eek out a little more margin; and the "gotta have it now" mainstream society would rather not order and wait for the color they want vs. buying a black, silver, or white one off the lot.

It would seem that MT buyers are "unconventional", yet Acura offers the 6MT only in "non-colors". Really? One of the reasons I bought a TL 6MT in 2010 over a G37 (which still has a better shape IMHO) is because Infiniti only offered that car in shades of gray or the total opposite end of the spectum, an orange-red color.

Acura/Honda seems to be lost in a non-coherent vision: bold design, conservative colors...or maybe all those conservative colors are an attempt at "bori-fying" that bold design along with the toned down grill. So, let's hope the 5G turns things around - still offer an MT, and if the design has to be more conventional to get the sales volume back up, at least offer it in a few real colors...and on the MT, too.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
omg i saw a blue 2013 TL on the streets the otherday.. damn that was sexy..
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
I think there are a few 2012 TL's with Mayan Bronze color but not many.

Yes, color is not popular but me who never had a dark color cars got me attracted especially with umber interior, bought it and still love it, unique color on the streets!

MBM color is more attractive on sunny days ;-)
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by shurik74
I think there are a few 2012 TL's with Mayan Bronze color but not many.

Yes, color is not popular but me who never had a dark color cars got me attracted especially with umber interior, bought it and still love it, unique color on the streets!

MBM color is more attractive on sunny days ;-)

We bought one of the last ones available in California late last year (October 2011). I guess this was one of those odd colors that you either loved or hated. The dealer I bought the car from said he had a few of these at one time and they either sat on the lot a while or sold quickly. Personally, I think the Mayan Bronze is one of the sharpest looking colors on this particular car. We consistently get compliments on the color from both friends and strangers. Better yet you hardly see any of these around.
The following users liked this post:
shurik74 (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
We bought one of the last ones available in California late last year (October 2011). I guess this was one of those odd colors that you either loved or hated. The dealer I bought the car from said he had a few of these at one time and they either sat on the lot a while or sold quickly. Personally, I think the Mayan Bronze is one of the sharpest looking colors on this particular car. We consistently get compliments on the color from both friends and strangers. Better yet you hardly see any of these around.
Totally agree with you either you like or hate it...

Forgot to mention that I'm getting a lot of compliments too
Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Twenty-two percent of global car buyers chose white cars in 2012, reports PPG Industries. White was followed by silver in second place (20 percent), black (19 percent) and gray (12 percent). In North America, the results were largely the same, with white taking 21 percent of all sales, followed by black (19 percent), silver (16 percent) and gray (16 percent).

These colors account for over 70% of the cars sold. If I was a manufacturer phasing out a car line I would put these colors on most, if not all, of my dealer package cars & leave other colors to ordered cars
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
omg i saw a blue 2013 TL on the streets the otherday.. damn that was sexy..
haha I agree!!!!! i saw it at the dealer and it looked amazing. Mine would look like that if I do a 2012 conversion
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Twenty-two percent of global car buyers chose white cars in 2012, reports PPG Industries. White was followed by silver in second place (20 percent), black (19 percent) and gray (12 percent). In North America, the results were largely the same, with white taking 21 percent of all sales, followed by black (19 percent), silver (16 percent) and gray (16 percent).

These colors account for over 70% of the cars sold. If I was a manufacturer phasing out a car line I would put these colors on most, if not all, of my dealer package cars & leave other colors to ordered cars
I wonder though if that is a self-fulfilling situation. Manufacturers perceive that no-color cars (white, black, silver) are easier to sell so they make more of these. Then the buyer goes to the lot and sees lots of white, black, silver so that is what they end up with thus fulfilling the manufacturer's prediction.

I notice that when you go to car showrooms, the "hey look at me" car on display in the showroom or right out front to catch your attention is often some real color (blue, red, etc.).

The most boring collection of cars I saw while shopping around was at the Hyundai dealer when I was considering a Genesis. Rows and rows of the Genesis in black. Not too far behind was the Acura dealers with typically lots of Graphites followed by some whites and boring silver. Interestingly, the least boring collection of colors we saw was at the Lexus dealer (of all things) when we were considering the ES. They had a number of spectacular looking blues and reds on the lot.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
When you actually look at the paint on these cars you will realize they are far from no color or flat. Silver, White and Graphite have a sparkle pearl luster.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
When you actually look at the paint on these cars you will realize they are far from no color or flat. Silver, White and Graphite have a sparkle pearl luster.
I do like the depth and metallic/pearl look on all those finishes (would still maintain that those are really absence-of-color colors). My first choice in car paint is generally white and I did like the White Pearl on the TL. However we have had our share of white cars and my wife wanted something different (which is also why our previous 2000 TL was the Monterey Blue). If Mayan Bronze had not been available we would probably have opted for the Graphite.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by draph
Chicken and Egg question: Is shades of gray/silver, white, and black the most popular colors because that's all that's offered, or do consumers really "demand" these boring colors more than anything else? I suspect it's more because they are cheaper colors to produce - just another way to save a few bucks per car to eek out a little more margin; and the "gotta have it now" mainstream society would rather not order and wait for the color they want vs. buying a black, silver, or white one off the lot.

3 most popular car colors regardless of make are black white and silver, the order does vary year to year. What I don't know is how much fleet cars impact that because you see a lot of white fleet/rental cars. I don't think it has anything to do with cost, I think it has to do with neutrality. Every time I go to trade a car the used car guys also are please I have a silver car because they say that black, white and silver are easy cars to move, more obscure colors are harder to move. I suspect many people will choose one of the 2 popular colors if they find what they like, but I bet if you have what they like only in say red, they may look elsewhere unless they like red. As the non-neutral colors invoke more emotional responses (positive and negative) from the consumer.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I wonder though if that is a self-fulfilling situation. Manufacturers perceive that no-color cars (white, black, silver) are easier to sell so they make more of these. Then the buyer goes to the lot and sees lots of white, black, silver so that is what they end up with thus fulfilling the manufacturer's prediction.
You can't blame Acura/Honda for trying, or any of them, Honda had purple Civics at one point, and for a while there the Mayan Bronze (cooper at Nissan, etc) had a blip of popularity, but again they are building $30, $40K and $50K they don't want to get stuck with something they can't sell or sell at a lose. Even Acura tried 2 different non-silver shades on the 4G, Palladium Metallic then that Forged Silver Metallic, both went no where that they had to bring back Silver moon in mid 2012 for the TSX and TL because they were hurting sales. Ultimately the beak and that awful Palladium Metallic made me get sick of my 09 SH-AWD and ditch it. I tried to come back when the 12 came out but hated a car that at dusk looked like it was a sky blue. I hope Acura has learned that you can offer additional choices, but you have to have a silver car offered because I want a 5G TL or RLX in 9 months when my Infiniti lease is up, but it has to be silver or a decent gray. Event eh current Graphite Gray is very dark and if you look at Honda they have stayed offering the lighter Gray for the Accord, although they do offer a darker gray as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts

I notice that when you go to car showrooms, the "hey look at me" car on display in the showroom or right out front to catch your attention is often some real color (blue, red, etc.).

The most boring collection of cars I saw while shopping around was at the Hyundai dealer when I was considering a Genesis. Rows and rows of the Genesis in black. Not too far behind was the Acura dealers with typically lots of Graphites followed by some whites and boring silver. Interestingly, the least boring collection of colors we saw was at the Lexus dealer (of all things) when we were considering the ES. They had a number of spectacular looking blues and reds on the lot.
What can I tell you; my X3 is bright red, have never seen another one.

My stuff right now is either 3 boring gray, which I like, or 3 red except for the bike which is black & chrome. Guess it balances out. All were ordered so I was not limited to the choices on the lot. In the past have owned Blue, Brown & Green but over the years most were various shades of red.
Attached Thumbnails Color Line-Up Changed for 2013?-dw.jpg