car shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question car shopping

Hi, finally made my last lease pymt. Next weekend will go to Acura to see what type of deal I get offered on the 09 TL tech. Now that they are offering the $2000 cash back plus the $1500 Honda Finace incentive they sent me, I am hoping for a new car!

How do you all get anything extra with your purchase, such as mats, wheel locks, etc? The only extra I got last time I leased was to get the dealership to deliver my TL to me.. that was a 5 hr. drive. I have 3-4 dealerships to negotiate with, hoping one of them offers me a great deal
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With the bad economy and slow car sales, you shouldn't have any problems these days getting "freebies" with a new car purchase. I got my rubber floor mats, mud guards, and wheel locks thrown in for free when I took delivery. Nowdays, it's very possible to get the top-of-the-line SH-AWD Tech model for under $38K (and the FWD model for $34K-$36K)...assuming you shop around, do a little haggling, and have excellent credit.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, especially with Honda Finance. They want a credit rating score of 740 or better to consider you as "A" credit.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PetesTL
With the bad economy and slow car sales, you shouldn't have any problems these days getting "freebies" with a new car purchase. I got my rubber floor mats, mud guards, and wheel locks thrown in for free when I took delivery. Nowdays, it's very possible to get the top-of-the-line SH-AWD Tech model for under $38K (and the FWD model for $34K-$36K)...assuming you shop around, do a little haggling, and have excellent credit.
Okay, so after you finalize your deal, do you ask for these freebies, or do you do it as part of the negotiations? Do be honest, the dealers I have been emailing have not been to keen on negotiating price. Guess the acuras are selling as fast as they can put them on the lot!!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Katira
Okay, so after you finalize your deal, do you ask for these freebies, or do you do it as part of the negotiations? Do be honest, the dealers I have been emailing have not been to keen on negotiating price. Guess the acuras are selling as fast as they can put them on the lot!!
Tell them everything that you want first and have them name their price. It is tougher to go back and have their manager sign off on free floormats after they think everyone is agreed on the price.

The most civil way to do the negotiations is to send an email to the dealers you want to negotiate with telling them what you want and that you are looking for their best price and that you are serious about buying a car. The ones that are honest with their first response continue with the negotiations.

You should know approx prices by reading these boards and they should be within the same ballpark to start with. If they are still off you can suggest that you will purchase from the same dealer that was offering XX price via email, but be honest with the prices others are getting.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Yes, especially with Honda Finance. They want a credit rating score of 740 or better to consider you as "A" credit.
My credit was about 670 but I was able to get the 3.9% financing. I down paid 15,000 and had the manager call Honda to push for the financing.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post next week if I am able to purchase my TL.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post next week if I am able to purchase my TL.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwjang86
My credit was about 670 but I was able to get the 3.9% financing. I down paid 15,000 and had the manager call Honda to push for the financing.

You were fortunate to have that much cash to put down, otherwise they would've sent you straight out the door with that credit.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

I got quoted $33000.00 for the base TL. That's with the $1000 cash back. Have yet to email/call the other dealers near me. Hoping I can possibly do better.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's with $1000 cash back? TL base is retail $34k...Say no lol
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PetesTL
You were fortunate to have that much cash to put down, otherwise they would've sent you straight out the door with that credit.
I know. I wasn't going to get the car if I couldn't get special financing, which I told them. The cash was a big help from my parents... I promised to pay them back within a few years They gave me 0% apr.. haha
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced

I got quoted $33000.00 for the base TL. That's with the $1000 cash back. Have yet to email/call the other dealers near me. Hoping I can possibly do better.
Is that the price without TECH? I am going today to get the TL TECH for 33,700. Call another dealer and tell them what you want to pay. Don't ask them for a price. Let them know that you are interested if they can get you a price that you specify. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iceman52489
That's with $1000 cash back? TL base is retail $34k...Say no lol

So, not sure if I will be driving a new car next week. I definitely hate the hassle of car buying. If not, I will have to start looking somewhere else, besides the local acura dealers.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Interesed
Is that the price without TECH? I am going today to get the TL TECH for 33,700. Call another dealer and tell them what you want to pay. Don't ask them for a price. Let them know that you are interested if they can get you a price that you specify. Good luck!
Wonder if I said "Mike is getting his car at x dealership and he just got it for XXX amount if that would work." Assume I would actually have to know what dealership got him that deal. The finace manager told me it all depends what state you are buying in.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Racer

The only reason why the state would have anything to do with it is demand. If one state has less demand then your state, someone else may be able to get a lower price. The tech has $2k in Cash Back, so you may consider that. You should tell them you are asking at other dealerships and want to pay only $32k or whatever your number is. With their quote of 33K it was a bit lazy on their part.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

I have been quietly reading all the member's deals on this forum. At first, I felt like I was taken on my deal but I'm not sure. I traded two vehicles in, got within $1500.00 total of KBB trade-in values on my trades (both BMWs) and purchased a 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech for $40,995.00 and paid cash in full on the deal. No Car Payments for a while!

This is about 2K more than I have seen others pay for a similarly equipped model, however I had to deal with two different dealers before the second one was able to find any of the color combinations I wanted. My Grigio/Umber was driven in from well out of state, at the time there was only one car with my colors and trim in several states.

I know that Acura produced few SH-AWDs as compared to FWDs and fewer still SH-AWDs w/ Tech. With Umber being the least plentiful interior, especially with Grigio, I was happy to even find the exact car I wanted.
So, how much more did I pay than I had to?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stash
The only reason why the state would have anything to do with it is demand. If one state has less demand then your state, someone else may be able to get a lower price. The tech has $2k in Cash Back, so you may consider that. You should tell them you are asking at other dealerships and want to pay only $32k or whatever your number is. With their quote of 33K it was a bit lazy on their part.
I'm Texas, and honestly don't feel any of the 3 acura dealers are offering me any great deals. All of them have basically offered me the same price. Not much difference between them. Honestly, I have mentioned I am car shopping, even said I was considering Infiniti, BMW, etc. Seriously considering looking at other cars besides Acura. I refuse to pay 33000 for a base TL.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Advanced

I'm Texas, and honestly don't feel any of the 3 acura dealers are offering me any great deals. All of them have basically offered me the same price. Not much difference between them. Honestly, I have mentioned I am car shopping, even said I was considering Infiniti, BMW, etc. Seriously considering looking at other cars besides Acura. I refuse to pay 33000 for a base TL.
Just picked up a TL TECH. 33,200. Was supposed to be 33700, but the finance people somehow changed it to 33,200. Bonus!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Try CarsDirect.com or Costco or Sam's or any other buying club.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Just picked up a TL TECH. 33,200. Was supposed to be 33700, but the finance people somehow changed it to 33,200. Bonus!
Congrats on your new car purchase!!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Racer

What part of the country / dealership?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Got quoted $36900 for the tech. So the person who got the TECH for $33200 got an awesome deal!!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm paying $35,485 for TL-Tech (fwd). If I wanted to buy the same day from existing stock I could have gotten $34,750 at a different dealership. That wouldn't have worked out for me, plus the dealership I bought it from is the one I wanted to be dealing with.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
plus the dealership I bought it from is the one I wanted to be dealing with.
I know that the price of the vehicle is very important but I also value the buying experience. I believe that car buying should be fun, not stressful. It's a very big financial decision, so why not enjoy it.
Different dealerships give off different vibes. Some you just don't want to deal with, and some really appreciate your business. This is why I bought my TL an hour away from my house, when I had 4 dealerships within a 10mile radius. I was lucky enough to buy my car from where I wanted at an excellent price.
I know this was random, but I just wanted to say it anyway
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jwjang86
I know that the price of the vehicle is very important but I also value the buying experience. I believe that car buying should be fun, not stressful. It's a very big financial decision, so why not enjoy it.
Different dealerships give off different vibes. Some you just don't want to deal with, and some really appreciate your business. This is why I bought my TL an hour away from my house, when I had 4 dealerships within a 10mile radius. I was lucky enough to buy my car from where I wanted at an excellent price.
I know this was random, but I just wanted to say it anyway
I don't think people place enough importance in this issue. The dealership you're buying from is a very important variable. Sure, any dealership will service your car, but they most assuredly will not guarantee you a loaner car if your service is going to be over an hour or so unless you bought from that dealership. Rallye Acura in Nassau County is a class operation from top to bottom. There's another dealership that's geographically close (Paragon Acura) but they're a bunch of sleazes in there. They approach prospective customers like piranhas approaching a piece of meat. When I ask for a bottom line price I don't expect to be quoted MSRP with the old "I may be able to clear a lower price with my manager, but only if I'm really lucky" crap. Guys like that turn my stomach. Give me a reasonable price and let's try and come to an agreement. I wouldn't buy a toaster from guys like that.

So yes, the dealership you buy from is a very important variable. There are horror stories from less than desirable dealerships. Just google "car dealership feedback ripoffs" and see what you come up with. It's pretty shocking in some cases.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/A...html?zip=11360
Old 03-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisp0410
I have been quietly reading all the member's deals on this forum. At first, I felt like I was taken on my deal but I'm not sure. I traded two vehicles in, got within $1500.00 total of KBB trade-in values on my trades (both BMWs) and purchased a 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech for $40,995.00 and paid cash in full on the deal. No Car Payments for a while!

This is about 2K more than I have seen others pay for a similarly equipped model, however I had to deal with two different dealers before the second one was able to find any of the color combinations I wanted. My Grigio/Umber was driven in from well out of state, at the time there was only one car with my colors and trim in several states.

I know that Acura produced few SH-AWDs as compared to FWDs and fewer still SH-AWDs w/ Tech. With Umber being the least plentiful interior, especially with Grigio, I was happy to even find the exact car I wanted.
So, how much more did I pay than I had to?
Can't say you were "taken" at all, but it does appear you could have gotten a better deal. For example, I got the same AWD-Tech w/Grigio/Umber for $39.5 which included color-matched mud flaps, wheel locks & trunk hooks (probably about $250 or a bit more "value"), so this is about $1K less than what you paid.

However, you noted you had 2 trades you were working as well, so that complicates the situation... seeing how you were paying cash in full, I'd have thought they'd have given you a better deal, but in the end, if you're happy and enjoyed the experience, $1K is only 2.5% of the $40K you're paying, so not worth losing too much sleep over.

I know I could have saved another $800 at a different dealer ($38.7K total), but at the time, as you said, they didn't have the exact colors I wanted (although they did have PMM/Umber which was #2 choice), but they messed with me and wasted my time one time, and that was enough to shop elsewhere and reward the right dealer, so to speak.

Won't be seeing you anytime soon on the road as we're in different corners of the country! Cheers on your ride!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

tm86it, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I do figure that I could have done about 1K better, give or take a little. I did get a couple accessories thrown in after the point of sale which is nice. If I wanted Black/Ebony I could have gotten a better deal as all the dealers in my area have that. Not many even have Grigio SH-AWD Techs regardless of interior.

Thanks again and enjoy your ride as well.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM
8th Gear

I got the TL on 03-09-09 w/tech for $33557 inc destination charge at Autowest Acura in CA. I wouldn't pay more than $30000 on the base model.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Intermediate

Still getting some very high numbers on the Acura TL. In fact thinking of buying my current 05 TL and waiting to see what I can get some time later. My payoff is $17000 and car has 45000 miles. I can give $4000-$5000 down and that leaves me at $13000-$12000. Of course, need to get an extended warranty on car. I am really disappointed in my current offers, and like I have said before $33000 for a base TL is too much!!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stash
What part of the country / dealership?
East coast, Maryland.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Got quoted $36900 for the tech. So the person who got the TECH for $33200 got an awesome deal!!
Would you believe that I almost didn't buy the car.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear

East coast, Maryland.
Was it Chevy Chase or Rozenthal?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Smile Pulled the trigger

2009 TL/Tech/10k per year/0 down/1st payment, bank fee, MV fee's, etc.
Including tax/$468 month/36 months
White/Taupe
Picking it up 3/28
'05 TL lease expires 3/31; already paid for this month
might as well get my money's worth
Shopped for 4 weeks, before a dealer came to it's senses
Wanted the SH/AWD, but the best I could do was $608/month/0 down/36 months; RIDICULOUS, to pay $140/month, more, for SH/AWD/Tech
Very happy with my deal.