Car & Driver's Full Review of Bruce Wayne's New Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Car & Driver's Full Review of Bruce Wayne's New Car

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

So overall it's better than the previous reviews. They have a few complaints as expected and question the direction Acura took with this TL, surprise.. The performace numbers are about on par with other reviews, being slightly quicker. Though they state in their test sheet best runs were achieved with full brake torque, i'm not so sure on that. There are many things I could critque on their review but I'll comment on one specifically, for now. I found it interesting that one of the testers said, "The ride is too brittle, so forget the optional 19-inch rubber in favor of the 18-inchers". I've driven it with the 17's, 18's & mine has the 19's and the only one that really is softer is of course the base TL w/17's. I didn't actually read in this review that they had a TL with 18's to compare it to, or did he just say that assuming it would be less 'brittle'. If you tested me just driving normally I couldn't tell you the difference, it's only in the corners you'll know if you don't have the 19" rubber.

FYI: They have a test & spec sheet to DL on the main page too.

What does everyone else think?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Motor Trend's First Drive review a while back gave an estimate of about 5.4-5.8 sec 0-60. I highly doubt they will be able to reach the 5.4 mark but I'm willing to bet they'll be the first car review group to break the 6 sec. mark. (I mean if Wavehogger was able to do it in 5.8sec, these "pros" can't?) Anyways, good honest review overall. It's interesting how every magazine see some things slightly different than in others. I agree for the most part about the upgrade wheels. While they look the best on the car, the down-side is an occasionally choppy ride if the pavement is anything but super smooth.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Motor Trend's First Drive review a while back gave an estimate of about 5.4-5.8 sec 0-60. I highly doubt they will be able to reach the 5.4 mark but I'm willing to bet they'll be the first car review group to break the 6 sec. mark. (I mean if Wavehogger was able to do it in 5.8sec, these "pros" can't?) Anyways, good honest review overall. It's interesting how every magazine see some things slightly different than in others. I agree for the most part about the upgrade wheels. While they look the best on the car, the down-side is an occasionally choppy ride if the pavement is anything but super smooth.
Maybe I was blessed with a perfectly assembled 3.7L. If I ever run into another SH-AWD i'll test that theory. But all testers and testing equipment will record slightly different results over and over. But we're all on the same page. It would be fun to line up say 20 TL's and see what happens. And Pete I know i'd be able to fool you if you didn't know if you were driving a SH-AWD with the stock 18's or 19's on a bumpy road. I drove that demo with 18's on all kinds of roads and because I couldn't really sense a difference I bought mine for added grip in the summer. And I think you mentioned this before. Their spec sheet shows they were testing with a car with 483 miles. My #'s as well as theirs will get better after a few thousand and an oil change.

But I started this thread to also get opinions on the other comments they made besides speed. I think I'm convinced regarding its capabilities.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
One thing I'll note that I have noted in the past. 0-60 in 6.0 seconds... so they shaved off .3? Again, I'm curious what this mark would be with the stock 18s.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
One thing I'll note that I have noted in the past. 0-60 in 6.0 seconds... so they shaved off .3? Again, I'm curious what this mark would be with the stock 18s.
Me too, and once I get the 4th 17" wheel from FedEx (yes they seem to have lost one wheel in transit) I can do a 19 vs 17 comparison and the 18" would fall right in the middle.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

To me, the first sentence of the C&D review pretty much describes how I would summarize the car......it's the Japanese CTS. A lot of people here have tried to lump the 4G with same group as the G35/37 and the 3 series, but that is not accurate. The new 4G has much more in common with the CTS than with the Infiniti or BMW. First the size of the 4G is similar to the CTS (maybe just slightly bigger), the 4G has the same "angular" styling cues as the CTS, performance numbers and ride quality is similar (and similar engine specs), and price is similar. I get the feeling that when Acura developed the 4G, it benchmarked the CTS, not the G35 or 3 series. And just as the new CTS emphasizes more luxury than sport......the 4G does the same. I think that people who like the CTS look and ride but are looking for it in a Japanese interpretation will find what they're looking for in the new 4G TL.

Last edited by PetesTL; 11-22-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavehogger
...And Pete I know i'd be able to fool you if you didn't know if you were driving a SH-AWD with the stock 18's or 19's on a bumpy road. I drove that demo with 18's on all kinds of roads and because I couldn't really sense a difference I bought mine for added grip in the summer...
Wavehogger,

I hope you're right here.

I've been patiently waiting for my SH-AWD Tech w/HPT option to be delivered and am hoping a significantly increased choppy ride is not the result which would make me regret going with the 19s over the 18s.

As you know, I, too, will be changing over to 17s during the winter so the 19s will be worn only during warm weather when the roads are more accommodating.

I was willing to take the risk because the factory 19s look SO great on this car!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by petestl
...it's the japanese cts.
Bingo!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rs+page-7.html
Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Where is the TL
Old 11-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

I am rather surprised that the Audi A4 gets better performance numbers with 40 less bhp...

265hp is less than a V6 Accord but yet it outperforms the most powerful sedan Acura has ever produced...

0-60: 5.7
1/4 mile: 14.3 @ 100

It can't be down to the wheel size...since both use 19x8's...

The drag coefficient might be to the Audi's advantage...

Weight is definitely a factor...a good 85lbs...but the Audi still has to pull 14.1lbs/hp compared to the Acura's 12.9lbs/hp...

Transmission is what I would have my money on...the 6 speed manumatic on the Audi seems to be the party piece that perhaps allows it to outperform the Acura...

And no one can really claim they're getting a much bigger car in the Acura TL...especially since the sum of passenger volume and cargo volume are identical to the Audi A4...111cu ft...
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Baapo
I am rather surprised that the Audi A4 gets better performance numbers with 40 less bhp...

265hp is less than a V6 Accord but yet it outperforms the most powerful sedan Acura has ever produced...

Weight is definitely a factor...a good 85lbs...but the Audi still has to pull 14.1lbs/hp compared to the Acura's 12.9lbs/hp...

Transmission is what I would have my money on...the 6 speed manumatic on the Audi seems to be the party piece that perhaps allows it to outperform the Acura...
And no one can really claim they're getting a much bigger car in the Acura TL...especially since the sum of passenger volume and cargo volume are identical to the Audi A4...111cu ft...

It's the 5 speed tranny, plus the SH-AWD probably steals a bit more HP.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Usually C&D test cars with more miles on them. For example. the 2009 A4 3.2 Quattro that they tested a while back had about 3000 miles, vs less than 500 of the TL. That's a huge difference and makes quite a bit of a difference to acceleration numbers. With car technologies today, I am not surprised if cars have programs in them that limit their output for the first 2000 miles or so too.

Of course the TL is a bigger car, especially in shoulder room, both front and rear.

I agree though, the TL is greatly limited to the 5AT. While the new TL is the most powerful Acura ever, it's far from the fastest, yet. The 3g TL 6MT is on par with the A4 while the 3g TL-S 6MT is faster than both.

One interesting thing to note though - fuel economy. The TL seems to be getting decent fuel economy. It's the same as the Audi A4 3.2 Quattro, which has 6AT, less weight, direct injection, smaller displacement, less power, and less torque. Both of them get 19mpg. Needless to say, that's quite a bit better than the 17.3mpg that the G37 7AT got.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
Wavehogger,

I hope you're right here.

I've been patiently waiting for my SH-AWD Tech w/HPT option to be delivered and am hoping a significantly increased choppy ride is not the result which would make me regret going with the 19s over the 18s.

As you know, I, too, will be changing over to 17s during the winter so the 19s will be worn only during warm weather when the roads are more accommodating.

I was willing to take the risk because the factory 19s look SO great on this car!
I have no regets on the 19's. I think you'll be fine. Is it a bit rougher on really rutty roads, a little but not abusively so, but you'll have way more control. I just got home from washing my car and those wheels look so hot when they are gleaming.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Baapo

Keep in mind, Edmunds got 6.9 sec for the A4 in their last test.....quite a big difference from 5.7.....but again, it all comes to down to various factors and testing methods......road conditions, weather, car condition, driver skill, etc, etc. Also, just for comparison, the Subraru WRX (non-STI) with only 265hp and 5 sp. auto can get to 60 in only 5.6 sec. But in the end, it's comparing apples to oranges. The A4 is a smaller, lighter car than the new TL and thus, not a direct competitor. In my opinion, the CTS is the closest rival as far as size, performance, style , and price is concerned.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
I have no regrets on the 19's...

...I just got home from washing my car and those wheels look so hot when they are gleaming.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have not found 0-60 times in any article until this one came out. Here is the link"
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
6.7 0-60 with the SH-AWD. That is disappointing. Im considering the 4g after owning a 2g and 3g TL. However the looks do not WOW me yet. I recently test drove the AWD and it does handle excellent. I took it on a cloverleaf offramp and accelerated on wet pavement. Damn good traction. Acceleration did not excite me. Seems like it takes time to get going because of its weight. My 3g is much better in straight line acceleration. I m also considering the G37x. It handles just as good and acceleration is amazing and with a 7 speed auto.
Talked about pricing with the SH-AWD unit and they tell me there is no dickering. They said 20% of the units made are AWD. Good to see that the NY guy got one for $2000 under msrp. In the Seattle area its another story. Pricing for the G37 is more flexible since its in their 2nd model year. So Im stuck, get a new one or stay with what I got.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tman
I have not found 0-60 times in any article until this one came out. Here is the link"
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
6.7 0-60 with the SH-AWD. That is disappointing. Im considering the 4g after owning a 2g and 3g TL. However the looks do not WOW me yet. I recently test drove the AWD and it does handle excellent. I took it on a cloverleaf offramp and accelerated on wet pavement. Damn good traction. Acceleration did not excite me. Seems like it takes time to get going because of its weight. My 3g is much better in straight line acceleration. I m also considering the G37x. It handles just as good and acceleration is amazing and with a 7 speed auto.
Talked about pricing with the SH-AWD unit and they tell me there is no dickering. They said 20% of the units made are AWD. Good to see that the NY guy got one for $2000 under msrp. In the Seattle area its another story. Pricing for the G37 is more flexible since its in their 2nd model year. So Im stuck, get a new one or stay with what I got.

Well, if you've read the new C&D article above (shown w/link), you can clearly see they clocked the TL to 60 in 6.0sec flat. And Wavehogger here has been doing extensive testing on his own lately and got the time down to as low as 5.44 sec! So really, it all comes down to testing method and various other factors such as weather, road condition, car condition, driver skill, etc. My car has been breaking-in quite nicely and is now much more responsive than it has been when new. I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money.....if you really like the TL, get it......if not, don't......making a large purchase, such as a new car, based on what other people say is just plain stupid.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Racer

Man these threads are getting bad. People its just a car! Who ever is getting worked up needs to chill. if people don't like the car they can say so.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
If your post was deleted- consider yourself warned. All of you need to read the rules for posting here on AZ. They are stickied on the main page. Feeding a troll makes you just as guilty.

And to kobi- there's nothing wrong with stating your opinion it's just the same posters saying the same thing over and over again in each and every thread is lame.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
If your post was deleted- consider yourself warned. All of you need to read the rules for posting here on AZ. They are stickied on the main page. Feeding a troll makes you just as guilty.

And to kobi- there's nothing wrong with stating your opinion it's just the same posters saying the same thing over and over again in each and every thread is lame.
I've mostly been a lurker while I owned my 3G TL but I decided to get more involved with the purchase of my 4G. And to think I started this and other threads to try and share some info with everyone and also learn from others. I've been impressed over the years at how many people, from auto hobbiests to engineers, that keep me coming back. I try to have fun and just joke around when people get a little too serious and I haven't said anything I wouldn't say again. I can't help it when someone can't take a joke but I appreciate ggesq putting the brakes on everything. Now let's not let this ruin my thread!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Title of this article is funny because multiple people I know have said "It's the bat mobile" and definitely didn't read this article.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

This explains why Bruce Wayne always hides his car in the Bat Cave (where nobody can see it).
Old 11-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ownaccord
This explains why Bruce Wayne always hides his car in the Bat Cave (where nobody can see it).
Let's see the piece of shit you drive.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Let's see the piece of shit you drive.
Let me guess: an Accord?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ dude, you are hilarious...