Break-in period myth

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 12:03 PM
Advanced

Break-in period myth

The sales told me my tl runs a software for the first 600 miles, so during this break-in period, the engine output is actually regulated at 85%. In another word, no matter how hard you floor your engine, it is not going to do any damage.

Anyone heard the samething?
Old 04-18-2011 | 12:05 PM

first time I heard that.

Try it and find out!
i bet the salesman was lying!!!
Old 04-18-2011 | 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

sounds like bs to me ... ive heard different views on engine break in such as drive it hard for the first 500 miles or dont drive it hard for the first 500 ... i personally dont think it matters so much but i highly doubt there is any software limiting the engine
Old 04-18-2011 | 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by VQPower37
sounds like bs to me ... ive heard different views on engine break in such as drive it hard for the first 500 miles or dont drive it hard for the first 500 ... i personally dont think it matters so much but i highly doubt there is any software limiting the engine
My dad handed me a 2010 Challenger SRT8 with 500 miles and said to have fun for a month.

I WOT'ed EVERY WHERE. I didnt stick to a break in period.
and the car is fine till this day. granted, its only been a year...
Old 04-18-2011 | 12:28 PM
I have car ADD

different stories, different myths...

my motto. take it easy for a couple hundred miles. i didnt go wild until i was at about 900 miles
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:04 PM
Drifting

Who knows what to believe ? However, I would rather err on the side of caution than face the potential financial impact of not. I take it easy for the first 600 miles.
Old 04-18-2011 | 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Any piston engine requires low hp throttle blips to seat the piston rings. This is usually accomplished by the dock worker/jockey driver as the car is loaded (if you have ever watched them load). Other than that, there is no break-in period on modern engines and Acura, to the best of my knowledge, has no specail map for the first 500 miles.

Used Car Saleman: Low Mileage!
Translation: Odometer broken.

Used Car Saleman: New Tires!
Translation: Bad Front end alignment destroyed the old tires.

Used Car Saleman: That's our Rock Bottom Price!
Translation: I'll eat Steak and Lobster for a month.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:54 PM
Instructor

One of my car manuals says to go easy on the motor in no uncertian terms:

Break in hints for the first
2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche. Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the moving parts must still wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers.

Therefore:
Preferably take longer trips.

Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.

Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.

Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm (revolutions per minute).

Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.

Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in
time (use the most favorable rpm range).

Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just

during the break-in period.
Old 04-18-2011 | 05:07 PM
Advanced

The reason I was asking about this is the owner manual specific mention the break-in period of 600 mile and to avoid those things that we all heard of in the past.

My sales guy is pretty knowlegable from what I can tell, not those type of newbie and bs all day long that they don't even know what they are talking about.

That's why I was asking this same old question if this has been heard of...

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011 | 05:43 PM
Safety Car

do what your owners manual says and you can never go wrong...
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Not always.

2010 TL Owner's Manual, page 510:

"Alway change the oil and filter according to the maintenance messages shown on the multi-information display".

So if the average mileage owners are getting per oil change interval is over 7,000 miles, it could be over two years before a change for some of us (if following the manual). I will not leave oil in my car anywhere near that long.
I spoke to the Acura service manager who said the only item that is scheduled based on time is the brake fluid.

It would help if Acura would fix their manual. Of course, this assumes that owners read it.
Old 04-18-2011 | 07:16 PM
Intermediate

+1
Old 04-18-2011 | 08:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Little Gator
Not always.

2010 TL Owner's Manual, page 510:

"Alway change the oil and filter according to the maintenance messages shown on the multi-information display".

So if the average mileage owners are getting per oil change interval is over 7,000 miles, it could be over two years before a change for some of us (if following the manual). I will not leave oil in my car anywhere near that long.
I spoke to the Acura service manager who said the only item that is scheduled based on time is the brake fluid.

It would help if Acura would fix their manual. Of course, this assumes that owners read it.

You should keep reading since the manual also says to change the oil at least 1 time per year regardless of the MID.
Old 04-18-2011 | 08:31 PM

^nice second post.
Old 04-18-2011 | 08:56 PM
Instructor

I just drove my TL normal for the first 600 miles. On an engine I built a few years back we broke it in right on the dyno.
Old 04-18-2011 | 08:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by deuce415
You should keep reading since the manual also says to change the oil at least 1 time per year regardless of the MID.
My owner's manual doesn't. Tell me where yours does?

My 32 page maintenance journal has a footnote at the bottom of the page in very small sized text "Perform this service according to maintenance minder or annually, whichever comes first".

I have said this before, that to sneak in a very important instruction into a differant book, in small text, at the bottom of the page as a afterthought is very poor way to provide instructions for the one task that owners are responsible to get done or risk damage or/and loss of warranty.

Last edited by Little Gator; 04-18-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deuce415
exactly...
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Any piston engine requires low hp throttle blips to seat the piston rings. This is usually accomplished by the dock worker/jockey driver as the car is loaded (if you have ever watched them load). Other than that, there is no break-in period on modern engines and Acura, to the best of my knowledge, has no specail map for the first 500 miles.

Used Car Saleman: Low Mileage!
Translation: Odometer broken.

Used Car Saleman: New Tires!
Translation: Bad Front end alignment destroyed the old tires.

Used Car Saleman: That's our Rock Bottom Price!
Translation: I'll eat Steak and Lobster for a month.

I agree with what you're saying regarding break in periods for proper seatings but Evinrude outboard engines has an engine which came out 3 or 4 years ago which needs no break in and can run wide open throttle out of the box and it's a four stroke. So who knows, but I would want to see someting in writing or test report showing the longevity of these no break in engines.
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:25 PM
AZ Community Team

This is what the 3G Manual says on the Maintenance Minder Page (the page with the MID codes):

If the message ‘‘SERVICE DUE NOW’’ does not appear more than 12 months
after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
It also says:

Break-in Period

Help assure your vehicle’s future
reliability and performance by paying
extra attention to how you drive
during the first 600 miles (1,000 km).
During this period:

- Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid
acceleration.

- Avoid hard braking for the first
200 miles (300 km).

- Do not change the oil until the
multi-information display indicates
it is needed.

You should also follow these
recommendations with an
overhauled or exchanged engine, or
when the brakes are replaced. ....
The oil is reportedly "break in oil" with a higher than normal moly content to remove asperities.

I cannot see a 4G OM, and cannot confirm any differences from the 3G.
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:43 PM
Intermediate

My 32 page maintenance journal has a footnote at the bottom of the page in very small sized text "Perform this service according to maintenance minder or annually, whichever comes first".

I have said this before, that to sneak in a very important instruction into a differant book, in small text, at the bottom of the page as a afterthought is very poor way to provide instructions for the one task that owners are responsible to get done or risk damage or/and loss of warranty.
My owner's manual does. Right on page 506 of the 2010 TL Owner's Manual. Referring to Maintenance Minder symbol A, "Replace engine oil", footnote *1 says "If the message SERVICE DUE NOW does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year."
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Asynchro
My owner's manual does. Right on page 506 of the 2010 TL Owner's Manual. Referring to Maintenance Minder symbol A, "Replace engine oil", footnote *1 says "If the message SERVICE DUE NOW does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year."

Just like the 3G.
Old 04-19-2011 | 05:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Asynchro
Thanks. It is there in mine also. I was wrong.

Bearcat94, the 4G manual, page 444, has the exact wording for breaking-in recommendations as the 3G manual does.

Last edited by Little Gator; 04-19-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2011 | 08:03 AM
6spd FTW

... "Perform this service according to maintenance minder or annually, whichever comes first"...
Key word here would be annually. You said it in your own post.

I also do not believe in too much of a break in period in new cars. I am pretty sure that manufacturing has been a bit more refined over the years and the sloppy casting of ages ago has passed for the most part.
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:54 AM
Racer

$39

I have said this before, that to sneak in a very important instruction into a different book, in small text, at the bottom of the page as a afterthought is very poor way to provide instructions for the one task that owners are responsible to get done or risk damage or/and loss of warranty.
Most dealers, Acura, Honda have a $39 special to change oil.. I change mine every 6K miles regardless, for me that is every 6 months... Plus I have wheel ramps and can do it myself, but for that price why not sit in the customer waiting room, always good to have them do that 30 point inspection when the car is up on the lift, and enjoy free coffee and danish! And we can't forget how hard San Diego weather is on car oil!
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
Most dealers, Acura, Honda have a $39 special to change oil.. I change mine every 6K miles regardless, for me that is every 6 months... Plus I have wheel ramps and can do it myself, but for that price why not sit in the customer waiting room, always good to have them do that 30 point inspection when the car is up on the lift, and enjoy free coffee and danish! And we can't forget how hard San Diego weather is on car oil!
for 39 bucks, i will take a pass and do it myself with synthetic motor oil...besides, its not like an acura tech is doing your oil change, its just a regular "joe" doing it, so you can toss that 30 point inspection out the window too...
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:35 AM
Drifting

for 39 bucks, i will take a pass and do it myself with synthetic motor oil...besides, its not like an acura tech is doing your oil change, its just a regular "joe" doing it, so you can toss that 30 point inspection out the window too...
Actually, my Acura tech does my oil changes. He is the only one I let touch my car.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:57 AM
it's a car-drive it

After I bought my 06 tsx in Nov. 06, the break-in period consisted of driving the car from the dealer in PA to my home in NC. Must have been ok.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

One of my car manuals says to go easy on the motor in no uncertian terms:

Break in hints for the first
2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche. Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the moving parts must still wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers.

Therefore:
Preferably take longer trips.

Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.

Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.

Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm (revolutions per minute).

Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.

Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in
time (use the most favorable rpm range).

Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just

during the break-in period.
This ^ is NOT from Acura! This is Porsche material.

These engines were not made for a track day (ever).
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
This is what the 3G Manual says ...I cannot see a 4G OM, and cannot confirm any differences from the 3G.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Tehvine
Key word here would be annually. You said it in your own post.

I also do not believe in too much of a break in period in new cars. I am pretty sure that manufacturing has been a bit more refined over the years and the sloppy casting of ages ago has passed for the most part.
Normal driving is all that is required to break-in a modern engine. The added verbiage is too keep idiots from red-lining their brand new Honda and possibly causing a warranty claim. There is a BMW that came with a moving yellow/red-line (M-3) to keep idiots from hammering the right pedal until the car was broken in/warmed up.
For those of you who quote from the owners manual like it was a bible, welcome to the church of H.
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Treblig
Actually, my Acura tech does my oil changes. He is the only one I let touch my car.
have you watched the tech change your oil? 3 states and twice as many acura dealers, and i have seen no techs doing oil changes...they pay techs way too much money per hour to change oil, they can pay someone a lot less to do oil changes...
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:38 PM
Drifting

have you watched the tech change your oil? 3 states and twice as many acura dealers, and i have seen no techs doing oil changes...they pay techs way too much money per hour to change oil, they can pay someone a lot less to do oil changes...
I have watched him change the oil, check the fluids, road force balance my tires and all the rest. Usually, when it's in for an oil change, I'm back there shooting the s*^t him. As mentioned earlier, he is the only one that services my car. Now, to your point, I can't say what happens when I'm not there.

My apologies to the OP - I know this thread is supposed to be about engine break in periods and not my personal service experience.

Last edited by Treblig; 04-19-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:44 PM
Op is too busy to care

has anyone ever heard of a car fail prematurely or have crazy wear and tear due to

"Too Awesome Driving during first 500 miles"