Boyland Acura, Cleveland Ohio-What a joke

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010 | 10:21 PM
3rd Gear

Boyland Acura, Cleveland Ohio-What a joke

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Boyland Acura in Cleveland Ohio. I went to Boyland this afternoon to get a price on a new TL to replace my 07 TL. Now being a good shopper I have shopped around and have several quotes including one very good price from another local dealership. After speaking with a salesman and explaining that I was looking for a base TL and also explained that price was a major factor in not buying any of my prior 3 acura's from their dealership. I went on to explain that I wanted his best price and that he would have to beat all the other prices I had received. The salesman went on to ask "What would it take to get you to buy today, if I could beat the other price by $10 a month would you buy from Boyland" I explained again that I was still shopping. The salesman left to go speak to the "numbers man" and after about 10 minutes came back and told me that he would beat any written price by $10 and even had the nerve to show me a hand written note so I knew he was serious. I was so angry that I had driven 45 minutes out to this joke of a dealership I shaked the salesman hand, told him he would have no chance to earn my business and walked out.

I manage projects at work that involve spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and never once have I purchased equipment or services from a company that offers to beat the competition by $10 and I am not about to start to now. I would advice anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area to steer away from this shady dealership. Its dealerships like this that give car shopping a bad reputation.
Old 03-05-2010 | 11:30 PM
Colorado Springs

Not sure I understand your story too well, but it sounded like the dealership tried to show you that they were going to work with you and basically offered a little contract that said that no matter what other deal you found by another dealer, they were going to always beat the monthly price by $10, which is actually quite substantial with a 5 year/60 month lease. It sounds like you took it as they'd literally only beat the competitors actual sale price by $10 and got pissed and left.

I think this story has "bad communication" wrote all over it. All you had to do was leave, go cross shop with 2 or so other Acura dealerships and find out their lowest price, then go back to Boyland and tell them the lowest price you found and then they'd beat it.
Old 03-05-2010 | 11:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Not sure I understand your story too well, but it sounded like the dealership tried to show you that they were going to work with you and basically offered a little contract that said that no matter what other deal you found by another dealer, they were going to always beat the monthly price by $10, which is actually quite substantial with a 5 year/60 month lease. It sounds like you took it as they'd literally only beat the competitors actual sale price by $10 and got pissed and left.

I think this story has "bad communication" wrote all over it. All you had to do was leave, go cross shop with 2 or so other Acura dealerships and find out their lowest price, then go back to Boyland and tell them the lowest price you found and then they'd beat it.
^^^
I agree with you, I don't see anything wrong with their offer, as it sounds like they were going to beat the competition's offer by $10 a month. It may be a small amount, but if they are willing to beat the competition by any amount of dollars, that's a good thing!
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:23 AM
Racer

^^+1
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:25 AM
Back From The dead

I think the OP is saying that it's not about $10 per month. If I had to guess, he's not totally sure about buying a new TL, but was hoping the dealer would show him all of the right reasons. The OP wants one, but needs something to push him over the edge and $10 per month isn't what he is looking for.
Or some totally different reason and I am way off base?
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:30 AM
I feel strongly both ways

WTF are you talking about???? You're shopping for a particular car, the salesman says he'll give you that car for $10/month less than any other legitimate price you can bring him.

And the problem with that would be??????

Exactly what are you whining about?
Old 03-06-2010 | 08:07 AM
Drifting

I live in the Cleveland area, but several years ago when I was shopping for an Acura, I went all the way to the Akron Acura dealership to buy mine, simply because they were nice, professional and courteous. They were also willing to deal. The dealership on the East Side was just obnoxious, sleazy and arrogant. They also were not willing to deal. Boyland was not in the picture then.

Anyway, try the Akron dealership if you are not happy with Boyland. If you try the East Side dealership, you may just find the Boyland people to be very nice... :-)

P.S. That was years ago so maybe the East Side one has competition now so they are nicer? Anyway, if you check the inventory on their websites, you will find that Boyland has very few TL's but the East Side one has tons. The Akron one has more than Boyland too. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2010 | 08:51 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

I agree with the other posters. Do the research and tell the dealer what you are willing to pay for the new TL. They will either sell it to you at your price or not. Sounds like the dealer was offering to beat the lowest written price quote. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-06-2010 | 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Cleveland is a joke itself...
Old 03-06-2010 | 10:07 AM
Pro

spec....you've lost me. You went to this dealership telling them you want to buy a new TL. And, that the reason you never bought anything from them before was because of price.

They offer to beat any price, and you're mad? Why? Did I miss something?
Old 03-06-2010 | 10:49 AM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
If you where not ready to buy if he beat your best price, then why give you that price?
You would just take that price and go back to the next dealer..
Why give you there BEST price if you are not ready to buy?
Old 03-06-2010 | 11:19 AM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by Javier1274
I resent that! Cleveland rocks if you know where to go and what to look for. I love that city and its history.
Old 03-06-2010 | 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

He did the right thing in walking.

You should never negotiate on the price per month, to many variables in getting there. Term, rate, front money, trade value, loan supplier etc. If they will not give you an out the door cash price you should walk because they are jerking you around.

Once you have an out the door price then you can shop anyplace for financing & be sure you got the best deal.

Same thing on a lease get the out the door cash price then run the numbers.

As for the "best price" thing they know exactly how low they can go & make an acceptable profit, no point in getting sucked into that game either.

I have only bought through the internet for years now & am pretty confident I have consistently got good pricing on my cars since they are pretty much forced by the nature of the sale to give you their best deal up front.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2010 | 11:54 AM
Drifting

Usually that $10 is about $300 off sales price when leasing and around $500 off the price when financing. That is from the best price you can find. If a dealer told me that I would be paying $10 less a month and would haved saved $500 off the sales price. Their best price is probably going to be in line with many other dealers best price so the fact that he was willing to meet and beat tells you everything you need to know. You just need to know what a great price quote is for this car in the first place.
Old 03-06-2010 | 12:02 PM
Pro

I do agree...shopping for best payment is not the best way to get a good price.

But, if you go in and ask them for their best price, tell the dealer that. Tell them you don't care about the payments, just the bottom dollar price.

If the dealer said "I'll knock $10 off your payment", just tell them that's not the way you're shopping. You just want to see their best out the door price.

I always figure my own taxes, license fees, etc and make my offer all inclusive. That way, there's no confusion or additional fees that surprise me when it comes to sign the paperwork.

I still don't understand why the OP is so upset at the dealer. They said they'd beat any other dealer's best written deal. That's what he stated he wanted them to do.
Old 03-06-2010 | 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Bottom line is if the dealer will not tell you the out the door cash price he is hiding something. If he is hiding something, I really don't think he is doing that for your benefit.
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

First I would like to say that I am going to be driving a new 2010 TL in 2 weeks or less, I have what I believe to be a great price from the Akron dealership where I have leased 3 other Acura's in the last 5 years. I feel there is no beating the value and reliability of a Acura which I am sure we would all agree.

I am leasing so the only things the concern me is the initial amount do at signing, the number of miles I get per year and the payment. I could really care less what the sticker is, what the cap cost is or the residual value or the money factor since I have no intention of buying the car at the end of the lease. I know many would disagree but that how I look at leasing.

I would have to disagree with the comment that the dealer is giving a decent offer by beating the competitions offer by $10. In a case like this the dealer is hoping you are a poor negotiator and that he can dangle $10 off a month and still make a tidy profit from the sale. All the while stealing the sale from the original deal for maybe $200 lower sale price.

As for the comment that I would just take Boylands best price and go shop somewhere else. I don't deal that way, if a dealer wins by business fair and square by offering me the best price and value for my money then they get my business. I don't have time to play games over $200-300, my time is way more valuable.

When I went into Boyland Acura I was very very clear with the salesman with the lease terms I was looking for and that I wanted his best price, it was his inability to even provide a payment amount that took him completely out of the running for my business.
Old 03-06-2010 | 08:08 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Originally Posted by spe1996
I am leasing so the only things the concern me is the initial amount do at signing, the number of miles I get per year and the payment. I could really care less what the sticker is, what the cap cost is or the residual value or the money factor since I have no intention of buying the car at the end of the lease. I know many would disagree but that how I look at leasing.

I would have to disagree with the comment that the dealer is giving a decent offer by beating the competitions offer by $10. In a case like this the dealer is hoping you are a poor negotiator and that he can dangle $10 off a month and still make a tidy profit from the sale. All the while stealing the sale from the original deal for maybe $200 lower sale price.

As for the comment that I would just take Boylands best price and go shop somewhere else. I don't deal that way, if a dealer wins by business fair and square by offering me the best price and value for my money then they get my business. I don't have time to play games over $200-300, my time is way more valuable.

When I went into Boyland Acura I was very very clear with the salesman with the lease terms I was looking for and that I wanted his best price, it was his inability to even provide a payment amount that took him completely out of the running for my business.
I still maintain that you're making no sense. I happen to agree with you about only caring about (1)what's due at signing, (2)allowed miles/year and (3)monthly payments. As to a "dealer winning your business fair and square" how the hell can you know if you're getting a decent deal if you don't go to more than one dealer? You should walk in already setting the relevant parameters. All taxes and fees in the lease, only first month and tags due at pickup, 10,000/12,000/15,000 miles a year. With those parameters in mind you need just one question answered - "What's my monthly payment?" Once you get one or two quotes from other dealers the dealer you're complaining about said he'd make the same deal happen for $10 less a month.

So again, I'll ask, what are you whining about?

Sounds like he's offering you a very appealing deal.
Old 03-06-2010 | 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

The problem is if no dealer is willing to give you a price and will only commit to beating the other dealers by $10 you end up in a endless loop and will never know if you have a good price.

I was very clear with the salesman at Boyland Acura what I was looking for in terms of the conditions I was looking for in a lease. I am not going to be forced into committing to buy a car just to get a quote.
Old 03-06-2010 | 11:18 PM
Instructor

The problem is if no dealer is willing to give you a price and will only commit to beating the other dealers by $10 you end up in a endless loop and will never know if you have a good price.

I was very clear with the salesman at Boyland Acura what I was looking for in terms of the conditions I was looking for in a lease. I am not going to be forced into committing to buy a car just to get a quote.
I agree with the OP. IMHO, "I'll beat any other offer by X" is a lazy, if not unethical, way to make a deal. That is not fair to any other salesman willing to write down his lowest price. I've found that salespeople (especially online ones) get more serious with their bids when I provide a written commitment not to disclose to competitors or on line.

When I told one local dealer who was trying that trick on me that I didn't play that game, his lowest bid wound up 3K higher than the deal I made at another dealer (ie, he really wasn't that serious about selling me a car at all). I really think that trick is about making the buyer believe they are really, really serious about beating the competition, when, in fact, they are not.
Old 03-06-2010 | 11:27 PM
Drifting

Yea, I still don't get it. You had a bunch of quotes from other dealers, and one very good quote. You went to this other dealer, and he said he's beat the best quote you have (the very good quote) by $10. So now you would have a very very good quote, where you will save $10. I feel like at this point I would say my very good quote is $500 and get him to sign a deal for $490 and call it a day.

I do agree with you that when looking for a lease that you're not going to keep the only thing that matters is monthly payment, miles and years of the lease.
Old 03-07-2010 | 07:07 AM
Pro

I'm not "getting this" either. You got a bunch of quotes. The dealer you're upset with said he'd beat them by $10/mo. Yet, you're still upset with him?

BTW....residuals, CAP cost reduction (out of pocket) all SHOULD be figured into your lease deal. The more money you put down (CAP reduction) the lower your monthly payment is going to be. Same with residuals. The higher the residual value (which is fixed by the financial institution who is writing the lease), the lower the monthly lease payment.

You should care about those things.

In short, you can't do an apples to apples comparison based solely on monthly payment. One could have a lower monthly payment, but requires a higher CAP cost reduction down payment and vice versa.

I'm just missing something here, I suppose because I don't understand why you'd be upset at this Boyland place for promising to beat your best quote by $10/mo. They're doing what you asked them to do.....beat the best price on the lease you got from somewhere else.
Old 03-14-2010 | 02:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Javier1274

Not useful.

:wagsfinger:

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:58 AM
Keepin'it Real

The original poster has no point. The dealer was showing good faith in offering a deal. Without a comparison and a price point base, the buyer walked on a low price guarantee from whomever, you sir is an idiot.

AND....

"I manage projects at work that involve spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and never once have I purchased equipment or services from a company that offers to beat the competition by $10 "

I'd fire you on spot if you worked for me. I've worked with spending thousands to millions of dollars on deals....if a competitor or company offers me $2.50 off of the bottom line, I'm all ears!
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:43 PM
Racer

I would advice anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area to steer away from this shady dealership. Its dealerships like this that give car shopping a bad reputation.
It's people like YOU, the ones who think we're all out to F*#k you, that bring this kind of experience on yourself. You say "I don't work that way" but did you ever consider that maybe that sales department doesn't work YOUR way? If that dude gives you his "best price" really, what chance does he have? He did the right thing cuz in cases such as yours or when somebody is shopping, the LAST place you visit will always win!
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 0akland
The original poster has no point. The dealer was showing good faith in offering a deal. Without a comparison and a price point base, the buyer walked on a low price guarantee from whomever, you sir is an idiot.

AND....

"I manage projects at work that involve spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and never once have I purchased equipment or services from a company that offers to beat the competition by $10 "

I'd fire you on spot if you worked for me. I've worked with spending thousands to millions of dollars on deals....if a competitor or company offers me $2.50 off of the bottom line, I'm all ears!
I kind of empathize with this dealership. The dealership said he'd come in at $10 lees/mo in the lease. They're in a lose-lose situation. They offered to beat his best price, but still run the high risk of not getting his business.

It seems relatively clear that the OP doesn't like this Boyland place, for whatever reason. Why even go in there again?

I dunno...if I were in sales, and someone came in and said "I didn't buy from you twice before because of your price, give me your best price, now." I'd be thinking, "even if I did give the best price, he's not going to buy from me. He's proven that twice before."

The Boyland store did the only thing they could....offer to beat the best quote by $10/mo.
Old 03-16-2010 | 05:29 PM
Back From The dead

Throwing out the "I'll beat any price" card is used by pretty much every dealership today, and it means nothing in reality. It's a vague statement at best (especially with a lease) because of the other parameters involved. Many salesmen "sell scared" and throw out anything they think will keep a customer listening. In most cases, salesmen don't listen long enough to hear what the customer really wants. This isn't exclusive to car salesmen, but most of us experience it because we all buy cars. I'd be willing to bet the OP has heard the "I'll beat any price" card before and had flashbacks of the other dealer salesmen who have thrown it out. I have been through it too many times myself, and can understand the feeling. It may have not been the salesmans fault alone, maybe the OP wasn't clear enough about what he wanted. None of us know for sure to make a judgement.
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:00 AM
Pro

NJ....good point. Maybe the OP didn't articulate what he wanted effectively. He told the Boyland dealer he didn't car about CAP cost reductions, or money factors (interest). But, in reality, those two things will determine his cost as much as the price of the car.

He's basing his decision strictly on the lease monthly payment, which Boyland said they'd beat by $10/mo.

Heck, if the dealership wanted to be flippant about it, they could have said...."your monthly lease payment is '$0'. And, you can keep the car after the lease term is up. But, your CAP cost reduction is $40K."