Bought my 2nd TL today.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought my 2nd TL today.....

After searching for a different car for over a year - I went back to the TL today. My last TL was an 05 Base that I had for 2 years.

I kept telling myself - I want a Lexus, etc.... but once I drove the new TL - I was done.... nothing else compared. The Tech package is amazing.

Great car!!!

For anyone interested - here is what I drove and thought about:
Range Rover sport
LR3
E Class
5 series
IS 350
GS 350
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JWhite1301
After searching for a different car for over a year - I went back to the TL today. My last TL was an 05 Base that I had for 2 years.

I kept telling myself - I want a Lexus, etc.... but once I drove the new TL - I was done.... nothing else compared. The Tech package is amazing.

Great car!!!

Range Rover sport
LR3
E Class
5 series
IS 350
GS 350
Perhaps you could give us a brief personal synopsis and/or your thoughts about each of those other cars?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Psych Doc - will do.... I want drive the TL a bit more - only has 43 miles on it... that way I can provide a bit more value in my comments...

first impressions:
09 is more refined, comfortable, technology is more user friendly and gives the appearance of more luxury than the 05.

I like the beak - not sure what everyone's problem with it is.... I got charcoal, so maybe the chrome blends better.

Love all the gadgets - push button start, true keyless entry, nav, etc.

The ride home last night was great. I stopped at Lowe's and had 3 people around the car when I came out. We spent 20 mins looking and discussing the car.

I do feel the 05 had a more sporty feel and the 09 has a good combo and luxury/sporty. I was seriously looking at the GS350 - so I wanted luxury and some sporty. I also like that you can adjust the Nav while driving. Lexus is too controlling.... If I just spent 40k on a car - I want to tell it what to do, not vice versa.

I am not crazy about the wheels actually. I love the ones on the SH AWD, but after driving both - could not justify the extra spend, nor do I need it. Not much snow here and I get enough tickets as is.

will do more when I drive the new one more...
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Olu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car!!!

Range Rover sport
LR3
E Class
5 series
IS 350
GS 350
How would you rate the E class and 5 series compared to the TL? I wanted AWD and drove the GS 350-awd and the IS 250awd

I didn't even drive the BWM or MB....to ostentatious for my tastes
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 PM

My opinions of each car - sorry Psych, just realized you wanted the others.

TL - see above

LR3 and Range Sport - LR3 was PLAIN inside and no fun to drive. The Range sport felt like a cheap range to me.... plus they seem to still have quality problems - from when I owned one in 98.

5 Series - Great stiff ride and some nice options. I did not care for idrive. I thought the car was over priced with options. I owned an 03 3 series and was worried about the same quality issues again with this one.... plus re-sale was not good

e Class - Great stiff ride again - although I was not impressed with this car. Looked like something my mom should drive. Some options were good and some missed - Nav missed the mark for me. Resale again was horrible

IS350 - AWESOME car - great ride, plenty of luxury to it and great options.... the power was plenty for the size of car. A bit high on the price side, given the size of the car. It only had one cup holder - strange. Loved the shift lights on the tach and the AC seats. I did not buy due to back seat size (i have kids) and the tires. They are diff size, get 12000 miles and cost 1000 to replace.... too much for me

GS350 - another great ride and TONS of great options... park assist, ac seats, fold in mirrors, rear sun shade, etc. Seemed a little sluggish to me and rattled some. Too expensive at 55 loaded. I did look at an 07, but it had no MP3 and had a tape player - what is Lexus thinking? I also read some very bad reviews here

Lexus locks they nav while driving too - this is beyond me.

All in all - TL won for the reasons above.... great ride, plenty of power, great options.... right price.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM

160 miles so far.....

Still love it. I actually went out and ran an errand last night - just to get to drive it. I am amazed and how smooth the ride is and the power. You quickly lose how fast you are truly going....

The one thing my wife pointed out last night - how quiet the car is, when standing next to it.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350 will be out later this month but that's 20k more than the TL so not in the same class.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
IS350 - AWESOME car - great ride, plenty of luxury to it and great options.... the power was plenty for the size of car. A bit high on the price side, given the size of the car. It only had one cup holder - strange. Loved the shift lights on the tach and the AC seats. I did not buy due to back seat size (i have kids) and the tires. They are diff size, get 12000 miles and cost 1000 to replace.... too much for me
I drove the IS350 before buying my 08 TL-S and I agree with you on the cost and back seat. Loaded out with similar options, the IS was about $10k more than a TL.

The back seat on the IS is a total joke. It might be a 4 door car, but it's built for two people. I am 6' tall and I had to push the drivers seat all the way back to be comforable. There is no way on earth a full grown a adult could even attempt to fit back there.

Lexus really needs to increase the size of IS a bit, and add more interior room.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why...but...its your money....congrats?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great car!!!

Range Rover sport
LR3
E Class
5 series
IS 350
GS 350

Curious, why didn't you test-drive some of the more closer competitors like the G37, A4 and Cadillac CTS?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Curious, why didn't you test-drive some of the more closer competitors like the G37, A4 and Cadillac CTS?
I am not sure I consider those cars a closer competitor.... but here are my reasons:

Drove an Infiniti when I bought my first TL and was NOT impressed with one feature of the car. Given the horrible re-sale value of the M - I cannot think the G would do any better. They lost me the first time and I have not been interested since

A4 - I drove an A6 - 6 months ago - again, ride was not comfortable and re-sale was flat our horrible. I am not sure how you think an A4 is a closer competitor to the TL than the IS - but oh well

Cadillac - No thanks - just not interested in the design, nor the brand.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tl1999
why...but...its your money....congrats?
huh?