Back to 3G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 661 Likes on 357 Posts
Back to 3G TL?

Who on here has gone from 3G to 4G and back to 3G? My SHAWD trans shifting is very annoying with the acceleration. All the clunky hesitation from 1st to 3rd is bad when trying to merge into traffic. Everything else is smooth. I had the TSB done and it's still there. Dealer says all normal. Whatever. Running the 19's is harsh with the stiffer suspension. There's times I don't know if it's just that or if the suspension is crapped out. Most likely the 19's though. I have a rattle under the car that I have taken to the dealer and they can't seem to find, but me and my neighbors know it's there it's so loud and annoying. It's been described on here as a loose heat shield but dealer doesn't agree. SMH! Every morning driving off I hear it. Outside of the tech losses have anyone gone back to a 3G or do you stick it out and accept the flaws?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
you could get a 3G again...but most likely, it will have problems of its own with higher mileage cars.

it also sounds like you are relying on 3rd parties to look for the noise? have some one else look, or you try to locate sound.. .
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Who on here has gone from 3G to 4G and back to 3G? My SHAWD trans shifting is very annoying with the acceleration. All the clunky hesitation from 1st to 3rd is bad when trying to merge into traffic. Everything else is smooth. I had the TSB done and it's still there. Dealer says all normal. Whatever. Running the 19's is harsh with the stiffer suspension. There's times I don't know if it's just that or if the suspension is crapped out. Most likely the 19's though. I have a rattle under the car that I have taken to the dealer and they can't seem to find, but me and my neighbors know it's there it's so loud and annoying. It's been described on here as a loose heat shield but dealer doesn't agree. SMH! Every morning driving off I hear it. Outside of the tech losses have anyone gone back to a 3G or do you stick it out and accept the flaws?
The transmission ratios are well balanced. Why skip 2nd? 1st to 3rd is too tall, you have to sync it right with good timing and foot work.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-07-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Hey GhostTL09, good to see you around

I would befriend an Acura mechanic and have him take a deeper diagnosis, also, have him remove and put the heat shield back on

I have a bit more than 150,000 miles now and the transmission lags for sure.

Is the same problem there when you drive it in Sport mode?

I would have the transmission fluid replaced along with the rear differential fluid and see how it performs
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 06:31 AM

the two guys above me agree....
maintain the car and try to locate the sound yourself without relying on the dealer...this could mean an indie mechanic if you are not comfortable checking it out..

with the third gen TL being $6k or less....THEY WILL have problems of their own.
or you could splurge on a mint one, but spending $15k for an ageing 10 -12 year old car is not sensible.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

No way I'm going at 14k for 58k on an 07-08 TL.
@flunder it's not a manual. I'm just describing what the car feels like like it's skipping gears.
I think I have a great car that has a perfect storm of annoyances to make me not want to deal with it. I am driving our 08 MDX since my wife is working from home now just to take a break from the creaks and cracks.
@ Drei the car is quick off the line in Sport mode, no lag at all, but I don't like the paddle shifting. I actually don't care for it. I drove up a hill in snow at 20mph with no issues in Sport recently. but I'm going to be getting some appraisals on vehicle.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM

that doesnt make it any better...$14k for an older car.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

I said "NO WAY" I would do that. lol
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 424 Likes on 346 Posts
As far as the rattling goes, have you upgraded any of the exhaust components? You say the rattling is coming from the heat shield or that general area so I'd start there with removing and installing. If it still persists then you can move on. Also you can drive in sport mode without the use of the paddle shifters and it still runs strong. I personally would work out the kinks and keep it. Going from AWD to FWD will be night and day even though the 3G still drives fine. I don't believe in downgrading unless budget is a factor. Rather fix what I have.

Ultimitaly the decision is yours.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
As far as the rattling goes, have you upgraded any of the exhaust components? You say the rattling is coming from the heat shield or that general area so I'd start there with removing and installing. If it still persists then you can move on. Also you can drive in sport mode without the use of the paddle shifters and it still runs strong. I personally would work out the kinks and keep it. Going from AWD to FWD will be night and day even though the 3G still drives fine. I don't believe in downgrading unless budget is a factor. Rather fix what I have.

Ultimitaly the decision is yours.
I've read that prolonged driving in Sport without using paddles can be dangerous to the transmission even though it has safety parameters coded in to shift. The toughest part of the decision is downgrading the Tech. Ill look to jack car up this weekend and really take a look at possible areas where that noise is coming from. I may consider going with the 09-11 AWD wheels also as a compromise to the 19s.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:11 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read that prolonged driving in Sport without using paddles can be dangerous to the transmission even though it has safety parameters coded in to shift. The toughest part of the decision is downgrading the Tech. Ill look to jack car up this weekend and really take a look at possible areas where that noise is coming from. I may consider going with the 09-11 AWD wheels also as a compromise to the 19s.
I own a 2012 TL elite, had it for about two years. I have loved Acuras as far back as I can remember, especially the TL. However I have been through a lot with this car. Issue after issue, from ATF filter replacements to having my propellor shift replaced....BUT the most annoying thing about this car hands down is this stupid rattle! I have been to Acura after Acura here in Toronto looking for a fix. I've searched forums, taken it to private mechanics and they've said the same thing. This car has fuel issues. This noise will present itself for a few seconds every time the car is turned on and will go away after a few seconds of driving. If you turn the car off and back on again, the same noise will be heard. This is a common issue with the TL and MDX "apparently" and I could not for the life of me get a fix for it. I've done updates and everything. The only thing that helps is Petro Canada's 94 Octane Fuel. The moment this gas is used the noise goes is not as prevelant. Although 91 is recommended my car sounds like a Diesel engine when any other fuel is used and is embarrassing as hell when I take off from parking. I love this car but man but I completely understand why this car could drive you insane! This is not a heat sheild issue it's called "engine PING". You'll see plenty of articles on this same issue and this car
Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hijack on Outlaw's behalf, but I have some thoughts...

First, what codes is it throwing?

Pinging is pre-detonation of the fuel in the cylinder. In other words, the fuel/air mixture is succumbing to the pressure and heat in the cylinder before the spark plug sparks. Higher-octane fuel resists this pre-detonation because it resists heat and pressure better than lower-octane fuel. (That is, higher octanes burn slower and aren't "hotter burning" as the public sometimes thinks.)

True pre-detonation is a serious problem, so much so that with the exception of purposely tuned sportscars, no company would allow its engineers to design a modern mass market car to allow pre-detonation even with the worst of fuels a typical consumer can be expected to reasonably purchase. If your car is really pre-detonating, and has been for awhile, you have seriously compromised the health of this engine.

Alternatively, you may only think your car is pre-detonating. What's curious is it goes away as you drive it after just a few seconds. It could be an issue with the computer that somehow corrects itself, but a modern engine that is so screwed up that it allows noticeable pinging most likely wouldn't be able to adjust enough to fix the problem. Again, pre-detonation is not just a noise; it is the fuel exploding in your cylinder before the piston reaches top-dead center, and true pre-detonation destroys pistons, rings, cylinder walls and rod bearings.

While that it performs better with the 94 does suggest it could be a pre-detonation issue, I think more testing is required -- mostly because if it really has been pre-detonating for two years, it's unlikely the car would still be functioning. I would try some regular fuel with some well-regarded octane booster, or even some quality high-octane race fuel (like something from VP) and see if that makes the car run even better. If the issue goes away completely, then I think there is something fundamentally wrong, like a major air leak, and you have just been lucky the engine hasn't given up the ghost already.

(Also, although I'm sure a mechanic has suggested this, for the heck of it, clean the EGR; in the old days, a completely clogged EGR valve could allow cylinder temperatures to rise excessively and facilitate pre-detonation. This probably isn't your issue, but this is free and easy to do, so why not?)

If the high-octane test doesn't work, then I have another suggestion for you. It may sound like a wild goose chase, but sometimes internal exhaust rattles can cause temporary vibrations and noises that travel in odd ways. They also can go away with heat. It's not uncommon for even a broken baffle in a muffler to be the source of an engine bay noise because the sound waves can echo through the uni-body cavities and exit under the hood. I know this sounds weird, but there are times it does happen, and they can sound like rattles. Pay close attention to the muffler next time on cold start up and see if you feel or detect any sound source.

(Another one that I'm sure mechanics have already tested: check the coils.)

Good luck.

(One more, exhaust related but different, perhaps you have a broken, and therefore clogged, pre-cat; although a code would definitely tell you this.)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

My engine sounds perfect at start-up, but I am determined to at minimum get to the bottom of that noise.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Back to the old ride? That's like getting with your ex just because your current booty call is away at College Summer Program in Italy. Do yourself a favor, block them both on FB and move on to a fresh piece of ass.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Marco:
EvilVirus (02-13-2017), hadokenuh (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Just bought a new battery and I guess the ECU got reset and it shifts a lot better!

Going back to the rattling, check and see if the heat shield has rusted out or if it split or cracked. We recently had that same problem with our MDX and it turned out to be a rusted out heat shield
Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Outlaw: clean out your private messages. You can't receive any more.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yzmuddereffer
Outlaw: clean out your private messages. You can't receive any more.
could you email me?

Outlaw449@hotmail.com

i can't receive any messages even though I have 0 in inbox
Old 02-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drei
Just bought a new battery and I guess the ECU got reset and it shifts a lot better!

Going back to the rattling, check and see if the heat shield has rusted out or if it split or cracked. We recently had that same problem with our MDX and it turned out to be a rusted out heat shield
gonna jack it up this weekend and she what i can find
Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I have gone from 3g to 5g and back to 4g now.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Really? What were the reasons for jumping back to 4G, Pros and Cons from 5G to overwhelm back to 4G? Details....Details!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Really? What were the reasons for jumping back to 4G, Pros and Cons from 5G to overwhelm back to 4G? Details....Details!!!
The TLX is just not what we expected after all. It didn't feel like 4g TL replacement (or even 3g TL to some degree), but rather more of 2g TSX replacement. The cost cutting was way to apparent for $45k car and together with crappy and unsafe 9-speed transmission and constant highway vibrations, we just could not take it and unloaded it after about 6 months.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
The TLX is just not what we expected after all. It didn't feel like 4g TL replacement (or even 3g TL to some degree), but rather more of 2g TSX replacement. The cost cutting was way to apparent for $45k car and together with crappy and unsafe 9-speed transmission and constant highway vibrations, we just could not take it and unloaded it after about 6 months.
Welcome back to the best TL ever. --If you were to post this in the 5G TLX forum you would be accused of lying, lotta purchase justification over there.
As far as going back to the 3G from the 4G. NO WAY. The 4G is so much better its not funny. For you though, I would just move on to another car altogether, or get another 4G.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was very enthusiastic about the TLX when it debuted, but it's not an upgrade from the TL. If Acura called the TLX the TSX and came out with a FMC TL sales would be off the charts but they missed an opportunity and are trying to fit 3 different buyers into 1 vehicle and it's not working that well. 1 for the TSX owner, 2 for the TL owner and the 3rd Enthusiast TypeS mod TL owner. I drove the v6 AWD for a couple days as a loaner and couldn't wait to get back in my 07. It's so light it feels like driving an Accord. I think I really just have a TL that has a few annoyances but overall is a better drive in my opinion than the TLX. But if I were to go back to a 3G it would be for the pleasure of owning it based on design. Nothing like a full A-spec Kit, wheels etc on a 3G. But I do being a unicorn owner in my area of a CBP/Umber SH-AWD. The local Acura dealers would love to have it on their lot.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Drifting

I was very enthusiastic about the TLX when it debuted, but it's not an upgrade from the TL. If Acura called the TLX the TSX and came out with a FMC TL sales would be off the charts but they missed an opportunity and are trying to fit 3 different buyers into 1 vehicle and it's not working that well. 1 for the TSX owner, 2 for the TL owner and the 3rd Enthusiast TypeS mod TL owner. I drove the v6 AWD for a couple days as a loaner and couldn't wait to get back in my 07. It's so light it feels like driving an Accord. I think I really just have a TL that has a few annoyances but overall is a better drive in my opinion than the TLX. But if I were to go back to a 3G it would be for the pleasure of owning it based on design. Nothing like a full A-spec Kit, wheels etc on a 3G. But I do being a unicorn owner in my area of a CBP/Umber SH-AWD. The local Acura dealers would love to have it on their lot.
If you feel your never going to get your current car right you can always step into a Manual 4G. The best of the best TL's. (assuming of course you can drive a manual)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I can get a pregnant lady to the hospital in a manual but I'm too lazy to drive one everyday. lol,
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Drifting

I can get a pregnant lady to the hospital in a manual but I'm too lazy to drive one everyday. lol,
Ha. Just as well, I did a quick search to see what's available manual wise and it looks like in the past year prices have not dropped one bit for the manuals.
Good for me if I ever elect to sell mine. I only have 19K on it and its garaged all the time.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Both bolts were loose
Black piece was possible culprit. I added washers to it and tightened. Rattle is 95% gone and haven't heard it all all driving up my block the last couple days. It probably needs more torque which i didn't have an extension to get in tight.