Attention DC/MD/VA- Baltimore area Acura owners/potential buyers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention DC/MD/VA- Baltimore area Acura owners/potential buyers

Stay away from Tischer Acura Nissan in Laurel, MD.

I bought a used 2009 TL Tech from them back in March.

First, several of the speakers were blown when I bought the car (I couldn't test it during the test drive because the battery had died and they conveniently didn't have the radio code availaible).

Then, they didn't submit the certified used paperwork properly, so it was showing up in Acura Care's system as being out of warranty.

Then, they had the car for 5 days and failed to properly fix the speakers and a rattle in the dash.

This is the abridged version- it took several trips to another Acura dealer and a barrage of phone calls to Acura Care and client relations to resolve the issues.

I love the car but Tischer has made the first month or so of ownership a living hell.

We've been using Radley Acura in Bailey's Crossroads for a while and have had much better luck. their service department has been very helpful in dealing with this mess. Tischer will never touch my car again- not even to put the license plates on.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Since it was technically a CPO purchase, I wonder if Acura will be sending you an online survey regarding your experience with the dealer. That should be an honest moment for you to let 'er rip!
The following users liked this post:
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by OpIv37
Stay away from Tischer Acura Nissan in Laurel, MD.

I bought a used 2009 TL Tech from them back in March.

First, several of the speakers were blown when I bought the car (I couldn't test it during the test drive because the battery had died and they conveniently didn't have the radio code availaible).

Then, they didn't submit the certified used paperwork properly, so it was showing up in Acura Care's system as being out of warranty.

Then, they had the car for 5 days and failed to properly fix the speakers and a rattle in the dash.

This is the abridged version- it took several trips to another Acura dealer and a barrage of phone calls to Acura Care and client relations to resolve the issues.

I love the car but Tischer has made the first month or so of ownership a living hell.

We've been using Radley Acura in Bailey's Crossroads for a while and have had much better luck. their service department has been very helpful in dealing with this mess. Tischer will never touch my car again- not even to put the license plates on.

If you had ask, I would have told you to stay away from Tischer. They are the WORST Acura dealer in the area, bar NONE. They overprice their cars. I have bought 4 cars from Radley, and I can tell you they are very good. I could tell you a few stories about Tischer, but you already learned your lesson. I paid 10K for my RL then what Tischer was offering. What does that tell you?
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I travel 4.5 hours (Pittsburgh) one way just to purchase my TL's from either Radley or Pohanka... I beat them both up to get my best price and then hop in the car for the drive down to pick it up... On average I save around 3,000 - 3,500 a car for the drive down...
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dwest1023
If you had ask, I would have told you to stay away from Tischer. They are the WORST Acura dealer in the area, bar NONE. They overprice their cars. I have bought 4 cars from Radley, and I can tell you they are very good. I could tell you a few stories about Tischer, but you already learned your lesson. I paid 10K for my RL then what Tischer was offering. What does that tell you?

Meant to say I paid 10K less at Radley, then what Tischer was offering
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Advanced

I actually got a good price from Tischer, but it was all downhill from there. As far as I'm concerned, no one except Radley is touching my car again, although I may let Frankel do simple things like oil changes, since they are closer.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ferrcad
I travel 4.5 hours (Pittsburgh) one way just to purchase my TL's from either Radley or Pohanka... I beat them both up to get my best price and then hop in the car for the drive down to pick it up... On average I save around 3,000 - 3,500 a car for the drive down...
Pohanka did some collision repair for me a few years back on my '04 Accord EX-L and it was good work, but I've never dealt with their Acura dealership. Again, I can definitely vouch for Radley in Bailey's Crossroads- I've never dealt with the Woodbridge location, aside from helping my brother with a test drive.

And this is O/T but my wife and I love Pittsburgh- I know it has a bad reputation as a Rust Belt city, but it's undeserved. We've visited several times and always enjoyed ourselves.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by StHalcyon
Since it was technically a CPO purchase, I wonder if Acura will be sending you an online survey regarding your experience with the dealer. That should be an honest moment for you to let 'er rip!
I'm supposed to get my car back from Radley tomorrow- if all goes well, I'm definitely sending emails to Acura corporate supporting Radley and trashing Tischer.

Back in HS and college, I worked at Wegmans supermarkets for about 5 years, and they valued customer compliments/complaints above all else. I can only hope that Acura has the same philosophy.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Pohanka acura is a great dealer, but a bit out of the way for the OP. i bought both of my cars there, and the service dept does a good job of doing what i ask them to do 99% of the time. they do take care of me and my car (it helps that they know me and how i am with my vehicles).

i've never been a fan of radley in falls church (sales and service never personally dealt with their guys, but just the lot size and some of the other stories i've heard scare me away). OT-i have issues with tiny lots (bad experience).

karen radley in woodbridge, is actually a separate "family" of dealers vs radley. i have heard good things about them from a friend that went there with her TSX (she lives in fredricksburg).

OP- have you tried the dealer in annapolis? my brother has gone there for warranty work without issue and he's as anal as i am.
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
Pohanka acura is a great dealer, but a bit out of the way for the OP. i bought both of my cars there, and the service dept does a good job of doing what i ask them to do 99% of the time. they do take care of me and my car (it helps that they know me and how i am with my vehicles).

i've never been a fan of radley in falls church (sales and service never personally dealt with their guys, but just the lot size and some of the other stories i've heard scare me away). OT-i have issues with tiny lots (bad experience).

karen radley in woodbridge, is actually a separate "family" of dealers vs radley. i have heard good things about them from a friend that went there with her TSX (she lives in fredricksburg).

OP- have you tried the dealer in annapolis? my brother has gone there for warranty work without issue and he's as anal as i am.
Haven't tried the Annapolis one but it may be worth a shot.

Even though I live in Baltimore, I have to go to Northern VA 2x/week for work, and I train martial arts at a place called MiKiDo right near Radley in Falls Church, so with their extended hours, it is very convenient for me.

That being said, I work in Dumfries, so I could swing Karen Radley in Woodbridge as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

FYI, Radley in Falls Church has a lot of space over off of Columbia Pike, going back towards Seminary Road, so it's not as small as it appears.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Haven't tried the Annapolis one but it may be worth a shot.

Even though I live in Baltimore, I have to go to Northern VA 2x/week for work, and I train martial arts at a place called MiKiDo right near Radley in Falls Church, so with their extended hours, it is very convenient for me.

That being said, I work in Dumfries, so I could swing Karen Radley in Woodbridge as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

FYI, Radley in Falls Church has a lot of space over off of Columbia Pike, going back towards Seminary Road, so it's not as small as it appears.
well it's too bad their sales dept blew it for them to earn my business...EVER. i'm not a big fan of bailey's crossroads area with all that friggin traffic.

pohanka has ridiculous service hrs 6-12a m-F and 7-7 on weekends. but might be a touch out of the way for ya, but at least you know you have a few other options if you happen to be in the neighborhood. so it's all good.

it certainly sounds like a complete nightmare with your purchase from tischer though. glad things are working out for you.
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Back in the day (meaning when I owned Y2K3CL-S), Tischer used to be one of the few mod friendly dealers in the md-Atlantic region ... even more so when Park Ave stopped being the mod friendliest dealer because of the headaches they had to deal when supporting Comptech mods without support from Comptech when problems arose ... but that changed once Lenny got moved out of the Customer Service Advisor role. If fact, it was because of the wheels I had on my car (RonJon Servos) that Tischer purchased a new alignment machine because they didn't want to risk scratching them (along with some wheels for the Z's their sister dealership had to deal with). I purchased Y2K3CL-S from Radley, but all my service for my first 2 Acuras was done at Frankel. However, that all changed when I acquired SixShifter because Frankel became the most expensive dealership in the greater Baltimore area for routine service, to include items such as the TPMS's I needed for the MMR GT1's I am currently wearing (wanted nearly 2x's the Acura suggetsed price). I had a long association with the Service Manager/Service Advisors/Service Techs at Frankel, but for some inexplicable reason they decided that they needed to overcharge for all MID directed services, and they haven't touched SixShifter for the 2+ years I've owned it.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
OP >> I will say submit your experience on dealerrating's website. The Acura dealership upper management is very aggressive in follow up and will make sure to make it right, at least for the future customers. I had my worse experience with one of the sales person at Rosenthal Acura. I left my feedback on dealerrating and within a few days their Sales manager was emailing and calling me. I ended up buying my Acura from Radley but the Rosenthal manager did give me 200 dollars towards my future service.

BTW, Tischer was the first Acura dealer I went to buy my first TL, after test driving the car and talking to their sales manager, I ran like hell and never looked back.
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced

So, I bought my car in mid-March and still didn't have my permanent plates. I called Tischer since I was going to be driving by today. Turns out they've had my plates since 4/20 (insert weed joke here). I asked the sales mgr why no one called and his answer was "I don't know- I've only been here since the first of the month."

Gotta love it when the guy at the top won't even take responsibility. Oh, and my car was even in their shop for the botched speaker repair that day. Assholes.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

I know several people who bought cars from the Annapolis dealership and will never go there again for service or anything else. There is someone on this forum that bought from them and refuses to go to them too. When I was getting prices, Tischer didn't even bother to reply. Annapolis and another one were way higher than where I ended up buying mine (Chevy Chase in Bethesda.) So far I have had great service from them. The people that no longer go to Annapolis are going to Chevy Chase now and all told me they liked it much better.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^well i've never experienced th one in annapolis...guess i'll be crossing them off my list too. chevy chase seems to be ok as far as i know. however...bethesda...oh the pain.

sales dept wise....pohanka seems to give the best prices (helps to be a high volume dealer), while the others will give competitive pricing. they also tend to go away from the typical sales tactics (at least they did with me) unlike other dealers.

service dept...i've only gone to pohanka. had few issues (mostly car wash related...as in DON'T WASH) other than that...everything goes pretty smoothly and they haven't ever given me crap for anything or pressured me into the "upsell" (helps when you know what your car needs). i've heard other stories from the other DC area dealers...some good, some horrific.

it's a tough market out there...dealers are fighting for every customer they can get (at least you would like to think that) and make them happy. this thread definitely puts a bit of a black eye on tischer. hope they are lurking and reading...this IS NOT how you want to keep customer loyal to you.
OpIv37 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Chevy Chase sales sucks, but their service dept was decent when we dealt with them about 5 years ago.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

No dealer is gonna be perfect. The thing to do is try and build a relatiiohship with your dealer. If you are anal about your car, let them know and they will be careful. I tip my service writer and I get treated first class at at Radleys. They know I know cars and I do not get any BS from them. They also give you free oil changes for 4 years. I bring my on oil and just get the free filter and labor. Unfortunley
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced

No dealer is gonna be perfect. The thing to do is try and build a relatiiohship with your dealer. If you are anal about your car, let them know and they will be careful. I tip my service writer and I get treated first class at at Radleys. They know I know cars and I do not get any BS from them. They also give you free oil changes for 4 years. I bring my on oil and just get the free filter and labor. Unfortunley
I know that no dealer is perfect. But, so far Tischer has botched every interaction that I have had with them, and they seem to have no interest in making it right. Radley isn't perfect either, but in enrare occasion that I've had issues with them, they worked hard to fix them.

The problem with the DC area is that there are a lot of people and a lot of expendable cash, so a lot of businesses treat you like shit because they know there are hundreds more potential customers where you came from.

Radley acts like they want my business. Tischer acts like they want me out of their hair so they can move on to the next walking cash machine.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have to chime in here...

I bought my car from Pohanka even though I live an hour drive from them in Northern MD. The sales guy was top notch..absolutely no BS. The car was prepped and ready to go when I got there...all negotiation via email/text.

Had one issue with the car..took it back in to Pohanka. The service people were excellent, got a loaner on the spot and a few hours later, car fixed/washed/etc. Again..the service advisor called me on two occasions giving me updates.

Rosenthal: sales was good as well..geographically closer for me, but they could not match the price of Pohanka, over $1200 more.

Chevy Chase..went there once, terrible location. The sales people barely spoke english and kept on repeating "buddy..we got deal for you" in thick accents. Drove me nuts. The sales manager (lady) was really pushy, actually had my wife sit with her in her office alone without me going over the 'numbers' when I was dealing with musk cologned salesman. As you can tell..we walked out and will never go back.

Don't know about the other dealers in the area yet
Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I know that no dealer is perfect. But, so far Tischer has botched every interaction that I have had with them, and they seem to have no interest in making it right. Radley isn't perfect either, but in enrare occasion that I've had issues with them, they worked hard to fix them.

The problem with the DC area is that there are a lot of people and a lot of expendable cash, so a lot of businesses treat you like shit because they know there are hundreds more potential customers where you came from.

Radley acts like they want my business. Tischer acts like they want me out of their hair so they can move on to the next walking cash machine.
well let's hope you don't get an experience like the one in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/you-not-welcome-radley-acura-arlington-va-681904/

the big picture with the dealers, like somone has already mentioned, build a relationship with your preferred dealer, and they will in turn (hopefully) take care of you. i've had a longstanding relationship with mine since i bought my TL in 05, and so far, i've been treated really well for the most part on both sides (sales and service, esp service). customer loyalty does have it's privileges, but in this day and age there is very little of that, sadly.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mihink
Have to chime in here...

I bought my car from Pohanka even though I live an hour drive from them in Northern MD. The sales guy was top notch..absolutely no BS. The car was prepped and ready to go when I got there...all negotiation via email/text.

Had one issue with the car..took it back in to Pohanka. The service people were excellent, got a loaner on the spot and a few hours later, car fixed/washed/etc. Again..the service advisor called me on two occasions giving me updates.

Rosenthal: sales was good as well..geographically closer for me, but they could not match the price of Pohanka, over $1200 more.

Chevy Chase..went there once, terrible location. The sales people barely spoke english and kept on repeating "buddy..we got deal for you" in thick accents. Drove me nuts. The sales manager (lady) was really pushy, actually had my wife sit with her in her office alone without me going over the 'numbers' when I was dealing with musk cologned salesman. As you can tell..we walked out and will never go back.

Don't know about the other dealers in the area yet
I must have gotten lucky at Chevy Chase. I've read other people who had bad experiences there. The location does suck and I am reminded of that every time I go there. I dealt with the Internet sales manager, the sales manager (was a guy) and the finance guy and none of them had accents or were pushy. Actually was the easiest car purchase I have ever made, especially since the numbers were already done via email before I went in there. My service guy is great, he knows how I am about my car, and last time I went in had a brand new 2012 TL loaner waiting for me. That said, if I decide to buy another Acura, I may have to check out the 2 in Northern VA.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually bought my 2012 TL from Tischer back in July of 2011. I didn't have a bad experience with sales b/c I accidentally walked into the Nissan side, and so my sales-man was essentially trying his hardest to get me the best deal every time he walked over to the Acura side. I forget his name, but he was a great guy. Now I've been there once since I bought it. I was having my tires rotated and oil changed. I decided to do my homework in the showroom b/c there were tables. While I was sitting there, I witnessed the Acura managers at the front yelling at this guy and telling him to gtfo. It blew my freaking mind! I've seen similar complaints on a review website, where they yelled at customers. So I try not to talk to them. But I think the Acura service department there is just fine.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Had good service at Rosenthal, Pohanka, and Acura West. I used to get great service from Tischer and Crsiwell in Annapolis. But at Criswell I had a problem with the service advisor going on a 3.5 hour lunch with my keys while I was trying to pick up the car and noone could get in contact with him. Also noone called to tell me my car was ready.

At Tischer I've had a long list of problems. I just go there for parts.