Aspherical mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aspherical mirrors

Anyone know if these types of mirror glass exist for the 4G TL?

They're slightly convex on the "inside", and maybe on the outer 1/3rd of the glass they curve more to give you a really wide field of view. Have/had them on my other cars and absolutely love them. Look less crappy than stickon convex mirrors too haha.

Pic: sorry this isn't a very good one. Notice the dotted line on the outside of the mirror and how it "squishes" the car horizontally there because its more curved in that area.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
not for the 4g they dont.. you can get those stick on adapters..
Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Just aim your mirrors properly. You don't use your mirrors to see the side of your car. The side view mirrors should be aimed into your blind spot. Cars should move from your rear view mirror into your side mirrors and then you should see them out the driver and passenger windows.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

I've had all my cars setup like this for years. There is no need for blind spot mirrors or any of that other tacky add on stuff.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
not for the 4g they dont.. you can get those stick on adapters..
Thanks, that's unfortunate. I guess our mirrors aren't the same as any generation of Accord? I wonder if the entire mirror housing can be swapped with an Accord one...then there should be a Euro mirror for it.

Originally Posted by amill
Just aim your mirrors properly. You don't use your mirrors to see the side of your car. The side view mirrors should be aimed into your blind spot. Cars should move from your rear view mirror into your side mirrors and then you should see them out the driver and passenger windows.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

I've had all my cars setup like this for years. There is no need for blind spot mirrors or any of that other tacky add on stuff.
I know how to set my mirrors, and I assure you they're set properly. But with a flat piece of glass there are still holes in the setup that can't be handled, or are far from ideal. I don't want to go into them. Aspherical mirrors are superior, and that is a fact.

Try driving something like an E85 Z4 with flat glass and the roof up. You have very little margin for error and, IMO, are relying on other drivers to be reasonably predictable. Improvements can be made.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Quite sure the 2013 RDX I had as a loaner earlier this year had what you are talking about, only on the driver side though I believe.

I doubt they'll fit our cars, but its worth a look.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mmret

I know how to set my mirrors, and I assure you they're set properly. But with a flat piece of glass there are still holes in the setup that can't be handled, or are far from ideal. I don't want to go into them. Aspherical mirrors are superior, and that is a fact.

Try driving something like an E85 Z4 with flat glass and the roof up. You have very little margin for error and, IMO, are relying on other drivers to be reasonably predictable. Improvements can be made.
Mine are adjusted in my 2013 and I have no reason for additional stick on mirrors.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by amill
Mine are adjusted in my 2013 and I have no reason for additional stick on mirrors.
I just adjusted mine according to the article posted earlier in this thread. Works great and I have no need for others, either.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mmret
Thanks, that's unfortunate. I guess our mirrors aren't the same as any generation of Accord? I wonder if the entire mirror housing can be swapped with an Accord one...then there should be a Euro mirror for it.

We're not talking about an E85 Z4. We're talking about a 4G TL. Whether the Z4 needs them, or not is irrelevant to this conversation.