Anyone with an aftermarket alarm and SmartKey??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone with an aftermarket alarm and SmartKey??

Question on functionality... If you lock your car with your aftermarket alarm remote or OEM remote and then walk up to the car with the smart key in your pocket and grab the handle to the door, does it disarm the alarm when it unlocks the door?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
i would think you would have to disable the factory alarm to put an after market alarm on there.. this will disable the function of having the door handle unlock when touched.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i would think you would have to disable the factory alarm to put an after market alarm on there.. this will disable the function of having the door handle unlock when touched.
you don't have to. It integrates into the existing one.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
Question on functionality... If you lock your car with your aftermarket alarm remote or OEM remote and then walk up to the car with the smart key in your pocket and grab the handle to the door, does it disarm the alarm when it unlocks the door?

your question seems confusing.

with an oem remote, once you put your hands on the door handle, your car disarms and unlocks.

really not sure what you are asking as far as how OEM function works.

you don't have to. It integrates into the existing one.
-_____-.... you just answered your own question..

i dont think you funny understand what i am saying.

with aftermarket, it maybe different. not sure. but with oem, you keep your keyless function.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Pro

your question seems confusing.

with an oem remote, once you put your hands on the door handle, your car disarms and unlocks.

really not sure what you are asking as far as how OEM function works.

i dont think you funny understand what i am saying.

with aftermarket, it maybe different. not sure. but with oem, you keep your keyless function.
Yea we're probably just not understanding eachother.

With my OEM remote I can unlock and lock vehicle (this also arms and disarms the aftermarket alarm)

The only problem I have is when i walk up to the car and put my hand on the door handle, the door unlocks, but it doesn't disarm the aftermarket alarm like the OEM remote does.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Reality check here...IF YOU DRIVE A TL, YOU DON'T NEED AN AFTERMARKET ALARM.
A good aftermarket alarm makes sense if you drive a 1969 Camaro RS, but it's a complete waste of money on a TL.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
A good aftermarket alarm makes sense if you drive a 1969 Camaro RS, but it's a complete waste of money on a TL.

That was a pointless post. I use the feature to notify me if my car is hit in the parking lot.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Marco

ditto, unnecessary money spent. there is absolutely nothing for a thief to take in your tl besides your own belongings and your wheels.

like i said before, the aftermarket and your oem isnt reading with eachother. your door handle tells the car to unlock and disarm the OEM alarm only. not your aftermarket one.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
I've read lots of people complaining about bugs with aftermarket alarm systems with a smart key. Imo if you want an aftermarket alarm so bad you should go went with a non-tech tl
The following users liked this post:
potmilkz (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Simple answer. OEM and aftermarket alarms don't mix.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
...I use the feature to notify me if my car is hit in the parking lot.
A proper impact sensor would have saved the side window on my RDX from being bashed in by a theif looking for my laptop. I had thought about getting a paging alarm for just that reason. However the last time someone hit the TL it was in the long term airpark while we were on Oahu. So the functionality of that kind of system is mixed.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Pro

Just an FYI guys, my alarm/starter is installed (installed myself) and everything is working. This was purely a thread to ask if others had the same experience with the smart key and the door handle.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

What is working ? What alarm is it ? How does it integrate into the factory system ?

Do share your experience.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Just an FYI guys, my alarm/starter is installed (installed myself) and everything is working. This was purely a thread to ask if others had the same experience with the smart key and the door handle.
Errr what? Why did you even start the thread off by asking a question and then answering it yourself? If everything is working
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Funny Guy

Step 1. Buy house with a garage to park $40k car inside.
Step 2. Buy $40k car.

I'm pretty sure that's in the owner's manual, but if not, it should be.

----------------

Serious Guy

Are you bypassing any of the factory sensor/alarm to use your aftermarket or just tying into it? I don't think you can disable the keyfob entry or wire around it because part of the immobilizer depends on it or the manual lock being turned on the driver door(AKA, if you didn't unlock the car like busted out a window - you can't start it).
Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by eazy
Errr what? Why did you even start the thread off by asking a question and then answering it yourself? If everything is working

and i still dont think he understands what hes talking about..
The following users liked this post:
eazy (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Pro

Wow this forum really turned in the past few years... I don't remember this much negativity towards other members when I was posting in the 3G area.

I installed an aftermarket alarm and starter in my 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech. Everything works the way it is supposed to. I wasn't sure if anyone else had one installed in their vehicle and was curious how theirs behaved during a certain operation.

The operation in a very detailed manner is. You're outside of the car, all the doors are shut and you lock the car with the OEM or alarm remote. Then you walk up to the car with your smart key and touch the inside handle of the drivers door. The drivers door unlocks, but at this moment does the aftermarket alarm disarm? Mine doesn't, and after talking with the engineers at idatalink and xpresskit they've told me it is something they're working on to interface through the databus.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Wow this forum really turned in the past few years... I don't remember this much negativity towards other members when I was posting in the 3G area.

I installed an aftermarket alarm and starter in my 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech. Everything works the way it is supposed to. I wasn't sure if anyone else had one installed in their vehicle and was curious how theirs behaved during a certain operation.

The operation in a very detailed manner is. You're outside of the car, all the doors are shut and you lock the car with the OEM or alarm remote. Then you walk up to the car with your smart key and touch the inside handle of the drivers door. The drivers door unlocks, but at this moment does the aftermarket alarm disarm? Mine doesn't, and after talking with the engineers at idatalink and xpresskit they've told me it is something they're working on to interface through the databus.
So your saying you already got your answer, but what another answer to your question??

You left out a very valuable info, what kind of alarm did you purchase?

without knowing this, we cant even being to tell you how frustrating is it for us to guess. this thread can go on and on about theories..

for example.

if i asked you to fix my phone that i dropped and cracked. you would ask me what kind of phone is it for you to fix it right?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Pro

So your saying you already got your answer, but what another answer to your question??

You left out a very valuable info, what kind of alarm did you purchase?

without knowing this, we cant even being to tell you how frustrating is it for us to guess. this thread can go on and on about theories..

for example.

if i asked you to fix my phone that i dropped and cracked. you would ask me what kind of phone is it for you to fix it right?
I guess with me having knowledge about aftermarket alarms and starters for our cars makes my wording a disadvantage. I thought just by asking a simple and direct question "does your aftermarket alarm do this..." would suffice.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
6G TLX-S

BrandonClaps, you also mentioned that your aftermarket alarm system (brand and model still unknown) was integrated into the factory system. Would you also tell us how you do this, so we can get a better understanding of the problem and/or work together for a possible solution ?

Anyhow, the answer to your original question is NO.

No forum member has ever reported that touching the door handle will also disarm his/her aftermarket alarm system.

That's why some members are carrying 2 to 3 remotes around. One for the car, one for the aftermarket alarm, and one for the factory remote starter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
BrandonClaps (04-27-2012), potmilkz (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
BrandonClaps, you also mentioned that your aftermarket alarm system (brand and model still unknown) was integrated into the factory system. Would you also tell us how you do this, so we can get a better understanding of the problem and/or work together for a possible solution ?

Anyhow, the answer to your original question is NO.

No forum member has ever reported that touching the door handle will also disarm his/her aftermarket alarm system.

That's why some members are carrying 2 to 3 remotes around. One for the car, one for the aftermarket alarm, and one for the factory remote starter.
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you

I'm using an audiovox prestige 6900 and flashlogic module.