Aluminum block questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Aluminum block questions

How does the Acura TL 3.7L all aluminum block differ from the Audi Alusil (not the BMW Nicasyl) block? Both are hypereutectic aluminum. The Acura has cast in aluminum cylinder liners so I suspect only the cylinder liner is hypereutectic aluminum. Is this the same for the Audi block.

Any and all info or links to search appreciated!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Curious why you want the info.... ?

The high-silicon aluminum liners are new to the 3.7 for the 4G TL. Idea being that they're better on shedding heat, and because of less expansion, piston/cylinder tolerances can be tighter / resulting in a smaller block with a larger bore (less weight, same power).

The crank and rods are forged steel; this generation gets forged aluminum pistons.

I can't speak to the Audi; I've never seen one run for long enough without electrical issues to invest any time in liking them.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by pseudomaniac
curious why you want the info.... ?

I can't speak to the audi; i've never seen one run for long enough without electrical issues to invest any time in liking them.
+1 ^
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Curious why you want the info.... ?

The high-silicon aluminum liners are new to the 3.7 for the 4G TL. Idea being that they're better on shedding heat, and because of less expansion, piston/cylinder tolerances can be tighter / resulting in a smaller block with a larger bore (less weight, same power).

The crank and rods are forged steel; this generation gets forged aluminum pistons.

I can't speak to the Audi; I've never seen one run for long enough without electrical issues to invest any time in liking them.
Thanks for the info. I read that in the tech section prior to posting. I was curious to find out if the Alusil block was hypereutectic throughout, rather than just the cast in cylinder liners and what effects this might have on longevity as well as other properties.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

To the best of my knowledge, the block and heads are high pressure cast aluminum as they've been for years.

I've put 250k+ on a single J32, several hundred thousand miles across various others, and have never had any failure issues related to the block or engine lower internals.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
From: http://www.hondanews.com/channels/28...c-a9004c34bacb

Bold mine.
Originally Posted by Acura Press Release, 2010
ENGINE BLOCK
Both the 3.5-liter TL engine block and that of the 3.7-liter TL SH-AWD® are constructed of lightweight die-cast aluminum. The 3.5-liter engine has thin-wall iron liners that are made in a centrifugal spin-casting process that ensures high strength and low porosity. The rough outer surface of these liners makes an effective bond with the aluminum block, enhancing block stiffness and heat transfer from the liners to the block.
The 3.7-liter TL SH-AWD® cylinder liners are made of high-silicon aluminum and are cast directly into the aluminum block. The hard piston ring sealing surface of the liners is created during manufacturing with a mechanical etching process that exposes silicon particles embedded in the sleeves. The aluminum sleeves provide better cooling thus allowing closer piston-to-cylinder clearance than iron liners afford. The alloy liners also improve heat dissipation in the area between adjacent cylinder bores, allowing the SH-AWD® engine to have larger cylinder bores, even though its bore-center dimensions (the distance between the centers of adjacent bores) is the same as the 3.5L V-6.
Both the 3.5-liter and the 3.7-liter cylinder blocks are heat-treated for strength and have deep-skirt designs with four bolts per bearing cap (providing excellent structural support for the crankshaft), thus minimizing engine noise and vibration.
The etching part makes me think Alusil, per (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alusil).

If Audi is also using Alusil, it is surely also as a cast-in liner as it would make no sense to make the whole block out of the stuff.

Also, BMW hasn't used Nikasil for a bit now. Nikasil doesn't like sulfur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil), ask BMW GS riders who spend a lot of time burning third world gas.

I don't have good resources on specifics of the Audi engine, I found the engine code is CAKA but google hasn't gotten me any useful hits.
The following 2 users liked this post by DannyZRC:
mr_raja (04-05-2012), Pseudomaniac (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

LOL!!!! Brilliant!!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DannyZRC
From: http://www.hondanews.com/channels/28...c-a9004c34bacb

Bold mine.

The etching part makes me think Alusil, per (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alusil).

If Audi is also using Alusil, it is surely also as a cast-in liner as it would make no sense to make the whole block out of the stuff.

Also, BMW hasn't used Nikasil for a bit now. Nikasil doesn't like sulfur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil), ask BMW GS riders who spend a lot of time burning third world gas.

I don't have good resources on specifics of the Audi engine, I found the engine code is CAKA but google hasn't gotten me any useful hits.

I did some more research. I guess the Alusil block is hypereutectic throughout. Not sure that would make it better, but would like to know the rationale for the different processes.

http://www.kspg-ag.de/pdfdoc/kspg_pr...v6_v8_audi.pdf
Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Audi recently ruined their transaxle design to promote more neutral weight distribution, the PDF you linked mentions packaging length being a concern in the engine design phase, probably also dealing with weight distribution.

Unlike the my transaxle example though, I don't think making the engine all Alusil is ruining it, just makes it more costly. In addition, the thermal properties probably make Alusil a reasonable expense in forced induction applications which are MUCH more thermally stressed than N/A engines. ALusil is probably a bit more brittle, crystal-heavy alloys usually are, but this probably is only a concern during knock events, so the expense is probably the primary downside.

Also, I found that not only are the J37A4 crank and rods forged, but the rods are actually fracture-split. That's pretty damn cool, heh
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

The old j35 oddy and MDX crank/rods supposedly have been factory cryo'd for years - but first I'd heard on the fracture-split finish in the case. Haven't had one apart (because they don't break) - lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Instructor

The technology in this engine is amazing.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the block and heads are high pressure cast aluminum as they've been for years.

I've put 250k+ on a single J32, several hundred thousand miles across various others, and have never had any failure issues related to the block or engine lower internals.
The J32 engine itself is very reliable. The only thing that can go wrong is broken timing belts. Depending on how fast the car is traveling when the timing belt snaps, the damage can range from a few bent valves all the way to broken-piston-arm(s) puncturing hole(s) through the engine block.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
6G TLX-S

Audi recently ruined their transaxle design to promote more neutral weight distribution, the PDF you linked mentions packaging length being a concern in the engine design phase, probably also dealing with weight distribution.

Speaking about more neutral weight distribution. Audi always puts the heavy-ass battery in the trunk rather than in the engine compartment, to lighten the front end.

Just wish Acura will do the same to alleviate the front heavy weight distribution on it's sedans.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Instructor

No thanks. Despite marketing trends, front heaviness is desirable for stability. I'd also rather not have all the extra wiring to contend with, the cost of installing it, the pain of troubleshooting it, the amperage it saps when you're trying to crank, none of it please.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
6G TLX-S

Front heavy is the recipe to understeering, especially for FWD vehicles.

I highly doubt we'll see all the above troubles given Honda/Acura's notoriously excellence in reliability and electrical integrity.

Besides, the Acura division is not about stability, it's about advanced performance. Leave stability exclusive only to the Honda division's family sedans.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Instructor

sorry for derail, but IMO I'd prefer it if Acura were Acura, and BMW were BMW, and Audi were Audi, because right now everyone is trying to be BMW and I don't like BMW. :p

Jack Baruth puts it better than I can, http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/1...t-wheel-drive/
Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 AM
6G TLX-S

I just don't see how relocating the heavy-ass battery from the front to the trunk of an Acura will make an Acura not an Acura.

An Acura is still an Acura, irrespective where the battery is located.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Instructor

You want them to move the battery to make the car less front heavy.

I don't want the car to be less front heavy. 50/50 weight distribution is not my ideal. Leave that silliness for BMW and the other racecar wannabes.

See?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Moving the battery to the back does little to change weight balance. If it's a major concern; you can pick up a Braille battery or something and keep the battery where it belongs, and still drop 30+ lbs off the front of the car.

And then you put a 2 year old in the back seat and it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
6G TLX-S

You want them to move the battery to make the car less front heavy.

I don't want the car to be less front heavy. 50/50 weight distribution is not my ideal. Leave that silliness for BMW and the other racecar wannabes.

See?
Relocating the battery from the front to the rear won't automatically transform a 60/40 front-heavy car to a 50/50 neutral handling car. But it will make the front end less heavy, and thus create less understeer in handling, effectively similar to (but with lesser effect as) stiffening the rear shocks and/or stiffening the rear sway bar and/or increasing pressure to the front tires.

Originally Posted by /www.hondanews.com/channels/acura-automobiles-tl/releases/2012-acura-tl-chassis
WEIGHT AND BALANCE

The addition of a manual transmission, an all-new clutch system and suspension changes yield an 88 pound reduction in weight on the front of the TL 6MT model. The weight reduction not only delivers improved performance, but also generates a more favorable front/rear weight bias. Compared to an automatic transmission equipped TL SH-AWD®, the 6-speed manual version improves weight distribution by 1-percent thus generating a 58/42 ratio versus the 6AT's 59/41 ratio.
See Honda uses the words "more favorable" and "improves" to acknowledge that shifting more weight from the front to the rear is a good thing.

Below are the factory published weight distribution data for 2012 TL's :

61/39 : TL
59/41 : SH-AWD AT
58/42 : SH-AWD MT

Relocating the battery may possibly knock another 1-2 percent of weight from the front to the rear, thus reducing even more understeering tendency.

But not to worry, the FWD-chassis TL will still remain to be front heavy, let alone hitting that 50/50 weight distribution that some people don't enjoy.