Almost a goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Almost a goodbye

I m at the end of my 25 month lease of my Acura TL tech shawd at the end of january. I'm Very dissapointed that acura has nothing to offer. I don t want to have the same TL, i m satisfied but i want to change car every time i change.

On my short list. Infiniti Q50 AWD, ATS AWD 3.6, may be i will try a BMW 335I but not sure

I know some people are in the same boat as me, so please share your shopping list.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
whatever you do stay away from audi..
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you know what the reliability is like on a BMW? Maybe find some BMW newsgroups and ask... Pretty sure it will be no where near an Acura.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I test drove both ATS (although RWD 2.0t), and the 535i. I loved the ATS's chassis, it feels light as a feather (in a good way!). Smooth, taught and dynamic. However, it was a bit cramped for and the navi was mind boggling awful. It has more toys than the TL, but using it was just painful.

The 535i was pretty great, especially the cabin. Driving wise, there isn't much to say that differentiates it from the TL, other than the acceleration feels stronger and the trans is a bit quicker to shift. However, moderately specced out its 62k, which was about $700 a month to lease 0 down. It just wasn't worth that much more than the TL for what you got.

Have you looked at the GS?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
whatever you do stay away from audi..
And why say that? Audi seems to be a logical transition fro Acura owners, it offers value and technology with AWD and good handling. Sure the German reliability is not the same, but of the 3 Germans Audi has the better reliability.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 AM

may be i forgot to give you some details.
i have no child, so room like in the ats or 3 series is enough.
i m in canada and lease for 36 months is more expensive than us. So i will spend around 850.00$ per month for the same TL for 36 months
my mileage is around 13000 miles per year.
so i m aware of less reliability of german brands etc, but i will always be within the bumper to bumper warranty
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Try the Kia Cadenza. You might actually be surprised like I was. I actually went to get a q50, and the dealer shared the lot with a Kia dealer. I decided to drop in, and I found a Cadenza. it's slightly larger than a 5 series with all the goodies, and for half the price. It has 293 HP, and is by no means slow, 0-60 times are very similar to the TL. It's a great car with great options and fully loaded at 42k. It has adaptive cruise control, lane departure, blind spot, rear backup camera and sensors, electronic parking brake, rear sunshade, a great navi (better than Acura's surprisingly) and heated and air conditioned seats. even the rear seats are heated!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
What about the new Lexus IS? http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
As long as your leasing any of the ones you're looking at should serve you nicely. If you are purchasing I would stick with the Asian brands for reliability. I AM in the same boat as you and decided to extend the lease on my TL for another 6 months as there is nothing that really stands out to me. By then hopefully there will be more to choose from. The extension is also an option for you if leasing through Acura.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
How much did you enjoy the TL? Are you the type of person that likes changing up at the end of the lease or would you consider purchasing what you have at the end of the lease period and continue with the same car? Just a thought. I hate payments (unless of course an employer was making them for me).
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
As long as your leasing any of the ones you're looking at should serve you nicely. If you are purchasing I would stick with the Asian brands for reliability. I AM in the same boat as you and decided to extend the lease on my TL for another 6 months as there is nothing that really stands out to me. By then hopefully there will be more to choose from. The extension is also an option for you if leasing through Acura.
^^ Agree. When you lease, reliability becomes a non issue because you are always under warranty anyway. Go with whatever you enjoy most!
The following users liked this post:
Oswald Vater (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you have no kids? why in the hell are you looking at 4 door sedans??? You should be leasing or buying a low mileage CPO Boxster or Cayman !!!

you could probably get a low mileage used Cayman S for what you would pay for a brand new TL.... you could get into an entry level Boxster or Cayman for close to what a new 535 costs...

i used to have a boxster..and if I wasn't a dad w/kids - I'd probably be driving a Cayman S or 911 as my DD....

beware - if you test drive one - you will be hopelessly hooked.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
And why say that? Audi seems to be a logical transition fro Acura owners, it offers value and technology with AWD and good handling. Sure the German reliability is not the same, but of the 3 Germans Audi has the better reliability.

well lets just say i have a few friends that had fairly new audi's all have been a nightmare.. q7, q5, a4, s4... ive heard pretty much the whole line up is messed up. The q7 was the worse.. she bought it brand new from dealer, had it for less then 6 months, stayed at the dealer for 3 months before it was lemoned.. the s4, had transmission problems the first 30k, audi fixed it, another 30k later, it had the same problem plus more.. was out of warranty, and the poor guy had to fork over 9k to fix the turbo and the transmission..

My brother who lives out of the country recently bought a q5, and had a major electrical malfunction, doors will not unlock via remote, windows will not go down, some of the speakers dont work, sometimes car wont start, a bunch of error messeges, keep in mind this is a 2013.

Last edited by potmilkz; 10-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
you have no kids? why in the hell are you looking at 4 door sedans??? You should be leasing or buying a low mileage CPO Boxster or Cayman !!!

you could probably get a low mileage used Cayman S for what you would pay for a brand new TL.... you could get into an entry level Boxster or Cayman for close to what a new 535 costs...

i used to have a boxster..and if I wasn't a dad w/kids - I'd probably be driving a Cayman S or 911 as my DD....

+100000

No kids, no family... buy a Porsche! You can get a used 996tt for as much as new 335. Even CPO 997s are starting to come down to the reasonable price range. If not Porsche and you are set on leasing, check out the 2014 C7 Corvette or S5.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by carz0159
Try the Kia Cadenza. You might actually be surprised like I was. I actually went to get a q50, and the dealer shared the lot with a Kia dealer. I decided to drop in, and I found a Cadenza. it's slightly larger than a 5 series with all the goodies, and for half the price. It has 293 HP, and is by no means slow, 0-60 times are very similar to the TL. It's a great car with great options and fully loaded at 42k. It has adaptive cruise control, lane departure, blind spot, rear backup camera and sensors, electronic parking brake, rear sunshade, a great navi (better than Acura's surprisingly) and heated and air conditioned seats. even the rear seats are heated!
I have liked what they have done, except for the damn wooden steering wheel, hate them and that is only way to get the loaded Cadenza.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
My buddy got a Cadenza. It's very nice and the drive is similar to the ES350 more than the TL. Basically, if I was told blindfolded that it was a Lexus, I would have believed that.

There are just so many great cars to lease at the moment, just test drive them all and let us know which ones you like best!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm in a similar boat, I love my TL SH-AWD but I'm starting to look around for a potential replacement few years down the road and frankly I see nothing....AWD is a must and unless I decided to get on board the German train (and specifically Audi which I dislike the most), Japanese brands have nothing to offer.

No sport oriented AWD, no manual or Dual Clutch, no significant improvement in power/performance and, frankly, nothing too exciting in the styling department.

I like the new Cadillacs a lot but no AWD in the most powerful version.

We are just me and my wife, no kids. My wife drives a WRX STI but the thrill is almost gone for her, she wants to go back to an automatic and she wants a more practical and, most important, comfortable car where we can carry our dog....she doesn't want to go the SUV route and she would like to stick to a hatchback but a luxurious/premium one (which is a concept doesn't really exists) so she pretty much settled on the Infiniti EX37 which is pretty much nothing more than a luxury hatchback raised from the ground...she may get it next year.

As for me I decided to go the GT-R route...wait few years (still enjoying my TL a lot), squirrel away as much as I can (I hate car payments) and get a new one or a slightly used.

No need for a back seat and, frankly, you get into one of the most desirable and technically incredible car in the world for a little more than double compared to a top of the line TL...yes a very steep jump but not out of this world....feasible if you maybe stretch the ownership of your current car for more years.

So I decided to a move similar to Docboy, but he will go the Porsche way I will stick with Mrs, Watanabe
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by carz0159
Thank you, but i forgot to mention that i live in Montreal Canada and i want awd
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
I'm in a similar boat, I love my TL SH-AWD but I'm starting to look around for a potential replacement few years down the road and frankly I see nothing....AWD is a must and unless I decided to get on board the German train (and specifically Audi which I dislike the most), Japanese brands have nothing to offer.

No sport oriented AWD, no manual or Dual Clutch, no significant improvement in power/performance and, frankly, nothing too exciting in the styling department.

So I decided to a move similar to Docboy, but he will go the Porsche way I will stick with Mrs, Watanabe
Agreed on AWD. Pacific Northwest weather stinks, though we had a pretty good summer. AWD is a definite must, esp with all the hills and inclines we have.

GTR is a great bargain and buy, esp if you wait a few years for depreciation. That sucker can haul a$$ and has an awesome AWD system (though no MT). Then again, the GTR is so powerful the MT may not be missed.

Guess we shall all see where we 6MT/TL drivers are headed. I'm personally going to try to make it to 100k miles before seriously considering my next vehicle... unless I just cave in to irrational-ism and my midlife crisis mode takes over.

Back on topic, the OP has some great options.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wreak
Wife dont like the look and me either , but i could pass on it with time. And when i tried it the small bump near the accelerator annoyed me. ANd i tried a 350AWD, at high rpm there is a strange high pitch sound

Good idea, but i work as a technical salesman and i need some room and not showing too much that i make money

Originally Posted by docboy
+100000

No kids, no family... buy a Porsche! You can get a used 996tt for as much as new 335. Even CPO 997s are starting to come down to the reasonable price range. If not Porsche and you are set on leasing, check out the 2014 C7 Corvette or S5.
Sorry i didn t say i live in the cold country and need awd. Also i work with my car ans i have some equipment with me. SO a normal trunk is a necessity

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-01-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I've been looking for a new car for a few years (lol)... the ATS was at the top of my list but quality issues and erratic mileage I saw being reported on Caddy forums scared me away for now. They had massive incentives on the outgoing '13 a couple of months ago - not sure what the deals are like now. There's really no difference between the '13 and '14 models from what I recall (rearview mirror is different and paint choices). Loved the drive of the ATS. If you want a backseat, go elsewhere. If you want trunk space, go elsewhere.

The Q50 moved up to the top of my list, but they've had all kinds of issues with lockups and misbehaving InTouch/GPS unit. In many cases the only way to unlock the system is by restarting it by holding a knob down or by pulling over and restarting the car. That's a no-go for me especially with the trips I take. I'm waiting to see if they fix the issues - it was definitely released uncooked. I like the rest of the car, though. Not a fan of the rear end, but like the front. Looks better in person than in pics. I haven't test driven one yet - waiting for them to fix the electronics issues.

There's nothing else really on my list. I'm not much of a fan of BMW or Audi, so I'm sitting on the sidelines. The scary thing is that if my TL dies tomorrow, I have no clue wth I'd get. lol.

The Q50 moved up to the top of the list, but they've had issues with their infotainment/GPS units with the software locking up and misbehaving. I still like the car
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I've been looking for a new car for a few years (lol)... the ATS was at the top of my list but quality issues and erratic mileage I saw being reported on Caddy forums scared me away for now. They had massive incentives on the outgoing '13 a couple of months ago - not sure what the deals are like now. There's really no difference between the '13 and '14 models from what I recall (rearview mirror is different and paint choices). Loved the drive of the ATS. If you want a backseat, go elsewhere. If you want trunk space, go elsewhere.

The Q50 moved up to the top of my list, but they've had all kinds of issues with lockups and misbehaving InTouch/GPS unit. In many cases the only way to unlock the system is by restarting it by holding a knob down or by pulling over and restarting the car. That's a no-go for me especially with the trips I take. I'm waiting to see if they fix the issues - it was definitely released uncooked. I like the rest of the car, though. Not a fan of the rear end, but like the front. Looks better in person than in pics. I haven't test driven one yet - waiting for them to fix the electronics issues.

There's nothing else really on my list. I'm not much of a fan of BMW or Audi, so I'm sitting on the sidelines. The scary thing is that if my TL dies tomorrow, I have no clue wth I'd get. lol.

The Q50 moved up to the top of the list, but they've had issues with their infotainment/GPS units with the software locking up and misbehaving. I still like the car
Exact same thing for me. I test drove one without the direct active steering and it was like driving my last car (2009 g37X). No problem , i like it. Agree for the rear. It's also on top of my list, because almost at the same price at an equivalent ATS 3.6 AWD.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sebounet, good luck with your decision.....keep your TL isn't such a bad thing.

Hey, we have a multi-quote button which is in the lower right hand corner of each post (the middle icon). It allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply. It will look like Post #20.

Be sure to give it a try.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-01-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
I like the new Cadillacs a lot but no AWD in the most powerful version. :
410bhp XTS has AWD
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
410bhp XTS has AWD

There is an XTS with 400+ HP?? That is interesting...still not a really sport sedan and no manual/Dual Clutch transmission....
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
410bhp XTS has AWD

No 400 hp XTS I'm afraid Bear....just visited Cadillac web site
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat, I have a 2010 TL 3.7L Tech. AWD and have been looking at 1) BMW 335is, 2) Audi S4.

I have test driven both:
BMW 335is - Is RWD and a ton of fun to drive the excelleration was incredible.
Audi S4 - Prem, Nav, with Sport Diff. is incredible to drive I would actually consider it a little more tame but incredible car to drive.

I also test drove the 2014 (newest IS) Lexus IS and must admit I hated the steering feel (too dull, no feedback), the engine had great growling noise but I found it never really translated into excelleration, this was a strange experience....pedal to the floor....loud engine...wait for excelleration....still waiting.

I have been on Audizine, Bimmerfest for the past 2 months and based on the feedback, owner issues, warrenty and service discussions I believe I will likely move in the direction of the S4.

Too bad, I loved my Acura (15 years of Honda/ Acura only), but I am looking for something a little smaller, faster, more fun to drive.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
You can get AWD with the most powerful version in an ATS, unfortunately no manual though. No MT in the ATS AWD at all actually, just the RWD 2.0T trims.

The 2014 XTS does/will however come in an AWD twin turbo 3.6L good for 410 hp, think it is the XTS V or Vsport but again not a MT as one would expect it not to be and as exciting as all that sounds it's still a full size sedan with fairly different aspirations, admirable in a straight-line but dynamically lacking if you're looking for that.

Nonetheless, interesting to see how it would fair against something like a comparably equipped and priced 535ix despite the size and power differences, that goes for the upcoming RLX hybrid as well.

As for the topic, there are some really nice cars available but in terms of my TL, I can't say enough how much I really do enjoy the 6MT and torque vectoring AWD combo especially for my demographics, it's just a really rare format and driving experience. If I can't get that again in what I deem spacious, comfortable and luxurious enough that also represents a decent amount of relative value by industry standards and not necessarily my own, might just say the heck with it go with an SUV, at least with some sport aspirations for an SUV anyway.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am waiting to see what the tlx looks like. I am sure it will not be too much different than the new accord but better quailty