All weekend with an SH-AWD loaner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
All weekend with an SH-AWD loaner!

Our 07 TL Navi is in Acura trying to get an issue sorted out and they gave us a 2010 TL SH-AWD as a loaner this morning. Acura couldn't diagnose the problem before they closed today so we get to keep the loaner until Monday now. I'm not complaining one bit.

I'm not one of those 3G owners that's still putting up a front trying to pretend like the 3rd gen is better than the 4th gen. Sure, the exterior styling might be a bit questionable, (it's actually grown on me quite a bit over the last couple of years), but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and subjective anyway. The facts can't be denied though. Better interior. More solid feel. More power. More features. SH-AWD is amazing. Seats are perfect. More refined in every way.

My gripes are few but noteworthy IMO:

-I'm not fond of the steering feel. It just doesn't feel as responsive and connected to the road as I feel it should. I actually think the steering is far too numb and I hope Acura improves this in the coming years.

-I'm also a little disappointed in the transmission. First, unless you put it into sport mode the car just doesn't drop to a low enough gear for brisk acceleration. It seems like when you're cruising in the regular drive mode at 45mph and floor it the car only drops to 3rd gear. This makes 45-65mph take forever. Second, just like all previous Honda/Acura sportshift transmissions, when shifting with the paddles the time from when you pull the upshift paddle to when the gear actually shifts is utterly painful. It's downright unacceptable actually. I understand that it's still just a basic slushbox with manual gear selection but come on Acura. It's 2010 and your $40k+ luxury/sport sedan should have a more responsive transmission.

Overall I think the car is pretty amazing. Unfortunately our loaner didn't come with the tech package but we had a loaner a while back that did and I know that is much improved over the 3rd gen too. Yes, the styling might not be everybody's cup of tea but I think that many of the people on this forum are just overly biased. I took the car to my workplace and everybody there, (about 15 or so guys), were completely blown away by its looks. Same thing when I took it to dinner with my family. My parents and both of my siblings thought it was beautiful. No mention of the "ugly beak". I think that the looks are probably widely appealing to the average consumer and that's good for Acura.

Sorry for the long post. I know you 4th gen owners get a lot of backlash from 3rd genners who are probably more envious/jealous than anything. Some people find it easier to reject what they don't have than accept their own desires.

I would gladly trade our 3rd gen for a 4th gen any day.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Good review. The 6AT can't come soon enough for the TL.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Our 07 TL Navi is in Acura trying to get an issue sorted out and they gave us a 2010 TL SH-AWD as a loaner this morning. Acura couldn't diagnose the problem before they closed today so we get to keep the loaner until Monday now. I'm not complaining one bit.

I'm not one of those 3G owners that's still putting up a front trying to pretend like the 3rd gen is better than the 4th gen. Sure, the exterior styling might be a bit questionable, (it's actually grown on me quite a bit over the last couple of years), but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and subjective anyway. The facts can't be denied though. Better interior. More solid feel. More power. More features. SH-AWD is amazing. Seats are perfect. More refined in every way.

-I'm not fond of the steering feel. It just doesn't feel as responsive and connected to the road as I feel it should. I actually think the steering is far too numb and I hope Acura improves this in the coming years.

-I'm also a little disappointed in the transmission. First, unless you put it into sport mode the car just doesn't drop to a low enough gear for brisk acceleration. It seems like when you're cruising in the regular drive mode at 45mph and floor it the car only drops to 3rd gear. This makes 45-65mph take forever. Second, just like all previous Honda/Acura sportshift transmissions, when shifting with the paddles the time from when you pull the upshift paddle to when the gear actually shifts is utterly painful. It's downright unacceptable actually. I understand that it's still just a basic slushbox with manual gear selection but come on Acura. It's 2010 and your $40k+ luxury/sport sedan should have a more responsive transmission.

Overall I think the car is pretty amazing. Unfortunately our loaner didn't come with the tech package but we had a loaner a while back that did and I know that is much improved over the 3rd gen too. Yes, the styling might not be everybody's cup of tea but I think that many of the people on this forum are just overly biased. I took the car to my workplace and everybody there, (about 15 or so guys), were completely blown away by its looks. Same thing when I took it to dinner with my family. My parents and both of my siblings thought it was beautiful. No mention of the "ugly beak". I think that the looks are probably widely appealing to the average consumer and that's good for Acura.

Sorry for the long post. I know you 4th gen owners get a lot of backlash from 3rd genners who are probably more envious/jealous than anything. Some people find it easier to reject what they don't have than accept their own desires.

I would gladly trade our 3rd gen for a 4th gen any day.

Nice. I thought I was on another planet when I came online and saw the hate for this beautiful car. I'm sure a lot of people don't like it but there are many that do. It is a bold design and it's not for everybody. I personally love it. I think it's pretty awesome looking. I'm very happy with it.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Glad to see you had a great experience with the 4G. It will be interesting to see the feedback if you posted your writeup in the 3G section.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lucky you, u get a better loaner than what BMW gives me for my M3

You = 3G for 4G SH AWD =D

Me = M3 for 325i base =(
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also agree with your assessment of the transmission. When I initially went to test drive the TL's (both base and shawd), neither car had the "pull" or "thrust" of the previous hondas and other cars i had driven (even my 06 civic was peppy in lower speeds). My 305hp shawd did not feel like it had 305hp, it felt much slower, especially as the transmission dumbs acceleration down from a stop. I hope the 6 speed is more responsive.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude

-I'm also a little disappointed in the transmission. First, unless you put it into sport mode the car just doesn't drop to a low enough gear for brisk acceleration. It seems like when you're cruising in the regular drive mode at 45mph and floor it the car only drops to 3rd gear. This makes 45-65mph take forever. Second, just like all previous Honda/Acura sportshift transmissions, when shifting with the paddles the time from when you pull the upshift paddle to when the gear actually shifts is utterly painful.
When I went form 08 TL-S to AWD the sterring was even a worse difference, the TL-S had a heavy better feel then the AWD felt numb and light, I got used toit and ironically when I went to my 11 M37 that steering was even lighter thant he AWD TL. Not sure what manufactureres are thinking, but at least Sport model oriented cars should have tighter, heavier more feedback in the sterring, yet the trend seems to be headed to over boosted electric power steering.

And Acura to mse wated too much time working on 6AT and will be immediately behind, they should have a 7AT, while Infiniti is still working on a few remaining minor kinks out the 7AT is sweet, shifts quick gives you great passing and prformance and still great MPG. My M37S weighs as much or a tad more than the AWD and I get 1-2MPG better than the TL with 30 more HP, true the AWD has greater power train loss so imagine what Acura coudl do with 7 or 8 gears!!
What I will say is my AWD had better low end pull than the Infiniti. Infiniti seems to spool up easier since I suspect they rbeing their tourque and HP on higher in the RPM range where the Acura wodul down shift and you would feel the low end pull. If Acura can get their styling in order (IMO) I would be back in a second, I love my M37S, but miss my AWD.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
lucky you, u get a better loaner than what BMW gives me for my M3

You = 3G for 4G SH AWD =D

Me = M3 for 325i base =(

Consider yourself lucky - our CEO gets a Camry when his 7 series is in for service. Nice....very nice....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Not sure what manufactureres are thinking, but at least Sport model oriented cars should have tighter, heavier more feedback in the sterring, yet the trend seems to be headed to over boosted electric power steering.
EPS is gaining implementation because of the efficiency gains, some OEM's seem to dial it in better than others.

The overboosted, vague steering feel is my biggest beef with the 4G too - otherwise its a stellar commuter.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
It was great to read your review as well. When we were shopping for a new car I was considering buying the 08 TL-S the dealer had on the lot or the 2010 TL SH-AWD that we did buy. I still like the look and size of the 3G. I'm glad to hear we made the right choice.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
According to some of the reports - they did some tweaking of the EPS for the 6-spd TL. I'm not sure if that made it to the 2011 or if they are going to bring it to the 2012. But there was definitely more feedback and less center dead space in the 6mt vs the AT when I test drove them last year.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
EPS is gaining implementation because of the efficiency gains, some OEM's seem to dial it in better than others.

The overboosted, vague steering feel is my biggest beef with the 4G too - otherwise its a stellar commuter.
EPS doesnt have to be vague-feeling though, see S2000 and NSX for reference. Not to mention Acura could always include a knob that lets you dial in how much assist you want.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
your comment about the transmission is how i feel about it...my 07 type s always felt like it was in the right gear, and when you hit the gas it usually just needed to drop one gear to be in the power band....

this car always feels like its in the wrong gear unless your just cruising along...so being in sport mode is the only way to go if you want to zip around and drive it sporty....
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
According to some of the reports - they did some tweaking of the EPS for the 6-spd TL. I'm not sure if that made it to the 2011 or if they are going to bring it to the 2012. But there was definitely more feedback and less center dead space in the 6mt vs the AT when I test drove them last year.
I would imagine the steering tweaks could be made via a software reflash.

Hmm, mod idea!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
eve
Burning Brakes

My dealer loaned me a 2011 TL SH-AWD with Tech Package. It had 70 miles on it when I picked it up last Saturday. I'm supposed to return it today and it will be hard to say goodbye. What a great car! It's a huge upgrade from my 04 TSX but also a huge bump in price.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
your comment about the transmission is how i feel about it...my 07 type s always felt like it was in the right gear, and when you hit the gas it usually just needed to drop one gear to be in the power band....

this car always feels like its in the wrong gear unless your just cruising along...so being in sport mode is the only way to go if you want to zip around and drive it sporty....
Wife keeps complaining about the same issue. So much so that she actually commented on the lack of Turbo lag on the RDX when we recently switched rides. I never noticed as the TL is always in S mode when I drive it.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
my dealer loaned me an 4G SH-AWD Tech when my 2G had to be repaired. well not me actually, my dad. they wouldnt let me drive it because i was only 19 at the time

...but of course i drove it when i got home and wow it is something. i wouldnt even mind the questionable looks because the interior is amazing and thats all you see when you are driving anyways.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
why is it when i bring in my car for whatever issue, my loaner is always a TSX!!

I guess i'll appreciate my 2010 CBP TL-6 that much more when i get it back Lolz

-DeL
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by FallenTSX
why is it when i bring in my car for whatever issue, my loaner is always a TSX!!

I guess i'll appreciate my 2010 CBP TL-6 that much more when i get it back Lolz

-DeL
Because they're not trying to get you to buy a 2010 - you already have one. lol.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Totally agreed - the tranny on the 4th gen is so much slower which makes the car feel so underpowered. On top of that, I lost the feel of connection to the ground, the suspension is muted.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

^ I've found the suspension feel to be OK. After a ~2000 mile trip (with rotations to the back seat), its almost too much "feel" for my rear.

I think the road feel loss is more from the electronic steering control. Not an uncommon complaint with next-gen steering mechanisms (see: early reviews of the 2011 5-series), but I think the lack of feel is made up for with an extremely accurate / highly reproducible end result...assuming your tires are in good shape.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i have a 2G RL... got a 4th gen FWD as a loaner a couple times and I really liked it..but wouldn't give up the SH-AWD RL for a FWD TL...

i have NOT driven the SH-AWD TL...and suspect if I were to trade cars, that woudl be the ONE I would go for! I was a 4th gen TL "hater"..but after seeing them around and driving one, they grew on me. I'm still not thrilled with the front end..but overall i think it looks good.

the other day I saw a 4th gen TL with the aspec kit, tinted..cruising on the freeway and the stance / look of hte car, fro the rear 3/4 view..it just looked cool.. very modern looking..