Aftermarked vs. OEM replacement parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by floridaseabee
As an update, USAA decided to pay out the extra $366 to get all OEM parts on the repair. Had to reason with my claims manager a bit, but didn't require much and I kept it extremely civil and polite. She didn't know what the price difference was, and I had to tell her (its the price the body shop gave me) Nice to know that beyond all the 'Its in your policy, there is no overriding this', that you can still get good parts back on the car.

When my policy is up for renewal, I'll ask for the OEM upgrade to it.

Now for the Diminished Value Claim from the At Fault insurance...this should be fun.

Things I'll remember:
1) Clear bra doesn't protect against cars landing on it.
2) You have to do all the leg work on price differences and contacting body shop and insurance
3) Call, call, and call some more.

Wow, Great to hear!! But I have to say having USAA is a bonus. They are ranked high on customer service. You may of thought it was a pain but the majority of other insurance companies would not have given in. Good luck with the diminished claim. Keep us updated. I have never seen it work out so I would like to know your outcome and what was required to make it happen.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Thank you for the in depth response Paul. How do they make these parts fit? Heat gunning and trimming where there's excess? What about if the part is marginally smaller buy creates a larger than normal body line gap. How do they fix that?

They aren't that bad Heart. Usually its about the holes lining up correctly. Push this way, tighten and pull a little over here, tighten, ect. Like I said there are different qualities of A/M parts. The cheap ones may not fit worth a crap because they have messed up gaps between the body lines. They are trash and there isn't anything you do about the fit. Any decent shop would never even attempt putting those parts on a car and the insurance wouldn't allow it either. They have to be CAPA certified. We would never spend more then 10-15 minutes to fit a part to look as good as an OEM part.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
I've got USAA for mine as well, but the girl that hit me on Christmas night has the Gecko... and I just went thru this yesterday... another real easy way to get around it with no arguing was when I said slight problem my truck has a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for 7 years and you're aftermarket parts kill my warranty they went okay no prob OEM parts it is...
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Glad you got OEM parts! When I got my used 12' I considered getting a clear bra, after seeing it on your car I made the right decision not getting it. I think if you get a clear bra you either have to do entire panels or maybe the entire vehicle.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got OEM parts! When I got my used 12' I considered getting a clear bra, after seeing it on your car I made the right decision not getting it. I think if you get a clear bra you either have to do entire panels or maybe the entire vehicle.
We will still be getting the clear bra put back on the car. While it diminishes the look of the front end very slightly, it does protect the paint extremely well....we intend on keeping the car for a long time and want to protect it as best we can. Will be inquiring about bringing it up the entire length of the hood as well as the fenders so it blends better.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I suggest the entire hood, fenders, mirrors and maybe door handles as well?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest the entire hood, fenders, mirrors and maybe door handles as well?
We would do the entire fenders and hood. Mirrors were already done. Door handles...thats a pretty good idea.