Is it advisable to learn how to heel toe downshift on the 4G TL 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 06:18 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 137 Posts
Is it advisable to learn how to heel toe downshift on the 4G TL 6MT?

I never managed to properly learn how to heel toe in any of my manual transmission cars up to this point in my life. My biggest issue was the size of my shoes, and not enough room at the pedal box. The 4G TL happens to be the vehicle with the largest interior that I've had yet. For the first time in a sedan, I have extra room, and I'm not squished inside like the previous cars I've had, especially around the steering wheel.

Would you guys advise that I learn how to properly do so on the 4G TL 6MT? I don't need to learn, however, it'd be a new experience that I can partake in. I've been rev matching my downshifts since I first learned how to drive manual, however, I've never implementing braking into the equation.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
I mean, unless you have another manual transmission car, what else would you learn on? lol

I learned on my 4G 6MT, but my only issue with the pedal placement and my feet is that I have to put in a decent amount of brake pressure before I can reach my heel over to blip the throttle. I have smaller feet, so I can't just rock the side of my foot like some larger footed people can - I need to rotate my whole heel.

Because of that, I started practicing on tight highway off-ramps where a good amount of braking is already required. Rev match downshift from 6th to 5th (no brakes), heel toe from 5th to 4th, heel toe from 4th to 3rd, then continue the exit. I can heel toe from 3rd to 2nd if I'm coming in decently hot for a parking lot entrance or something.

If you're not at that level yet, practice the footwork in neutral to make sure you can comfortably blip the throttle while applying brake, then once you get moving and try it you'll be able to see how much stopping force that amount of brake pressure is going to give you.
The following users liked this post:
Ascension (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 07:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Riboflavin
I mean, unless you have another manual transmission car, what else would you learn on? lol

I learned on my 4G 6MT, but my only issue with the pedal placement and my feet is that I have to put in a decent amount of brake pressure before I can reach my heel over to blip the throttle. I have smaller feet, so I can't just rock the side of my foot like some larger footed people can - I need to rotate my whole heel.

Because of that, I started practicing on tight highway off-ramps where a good amount of braking is already required. Rev match downshift from 6th to 5th (no brakes), heel toe from 5th to 4th, heel toe from 4th to 3rd, then continue the exit. I can heel toe from 3rd to 2nd if I'm coming in decently hot for a parking lot entrance or something.

If you're not at that level yet, practice the footwork in neutral to make sure you can comfortably blip the throttle while applying brake, then once you get moving and try it you'll be able to see how much stopping force that amount of brake pressure is going to give you.
My issue happens to be the opposite of yours, as I'm a rather large human. It seems that this will require an obscene amount of practice in order to learn correctly. I will begin with the dry footwork in neutral, just as you've suggested. Then, once I'm comfortable with the acrobatic leg maneuvering, I'll ascend to the offramp practice. I'll report back once I have made some progress.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ascension
My issue happens to be the opposite of yours, as I'm a rather large human. It seems that this will require an obscene amount of practice in order to learn correctly. I will begin with the dry footwork in neutral, just as you've suggested. Then, once I'm comfortable with the acrobatic leg maneuvering, I'll ascend to the offramp practice. I'll report back once I have made some progress.
Yeah, and as long as your feet can comfortably fit in the pedal box, your larger feet might be a bit of an advantage. Instead of rotating the bottom of your heel outward, see if you can just rock the right side of your foot enough to blip the throttle. If you can do that, it might be more comfortable for you. I've seen YouTube videos of Matt Farah using that method since he's also a decently large human. If that works, you might even be able to practice on normal roads since you won't need as much brake pressure as I do.

Once you've gotten a good feel for how the footwork goes (which I still find to be the more challenging part), adding the shifting is just a matter of getting the timing right. Clutch, shift, blip, controlled release. Clutch, shift, blip, controlled release.

Good luck, and be safe practicing while this crappy winter weather comes for us lol.
Ascension (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 09:40 AM
Pro

I just watched these video again as refreshers. I'll go out and begin practicing shortly.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:02 PM
Pro

Well, today was certainly an experience... I cruised for about ~6 hours trying to learn how to heel toe downshift. The beginning was rough, very rough! Although by the end of my cruise, I managed to make tremendous progress. This will take weeks to incorporate it into my normal driving style as if second nature. I intend to continue practicing ever single day that I drive. So, for me, the easiest way to do the maneuver is with the ball of my foot, exactly as Matt Farah showcased it. I attempted to do a traditional heel toe downshift, and it's nearly impossible to pivot my entire foot/shoe in that manner, especially with the accelerator pedal of the TL, where it hinges from the floor. @Riboflavin , thanks for the encouragement!

Riboflavin (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ascension
Well, today was certainly an experience... I cruised for about ~6 hours trying to learn how to heel toe downshift. The beginning was rough, very rough! Although by the end of my cruise, I managed to make tremendous progress. This will take weeks to incorporate it into my normal driving style as if second nature. I intend to continue practicing ever single day that I drive. So, for me, the easiest way to do the maneuver is with the ball of my foot, exactly as Matt Farah showcased it. I attempted to do a traditional heel toe downshift, and it's nearly impossible to pivot my entire foot/shoe in that manner, especially with the accelerator pedal of the TL, where it hinges from the floor. @Riboflavin , thanks for the encouragement!
Awesome, congrats! Glad it's working out. Yep, I remember the first couple of times I tried, those were some absolutely garbage downshifts, but when you get it right, it's super satisfying!
Ascension (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,184 Likes on 891 Posts
This car is super easy to heel toe on.
Ascension (11-25-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 08:54 AM
Pro

It's such a relief that I'm progressing with this practice. I've also found out that some shoes aren't as well suited as others for the gesture. Since I rotate my shoes out daily, I'm basically always driving with a different shoe, and this aspect is making it more difficult to get accustomed to the "right" feel.
Riboflavin (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,985 Likes on 14,495 Posts
Funny enough, I have always heard the term and loosely understood it.
When I bought my Corvette it came with these weird pedals, weirdest was the gas pedal which I later realized pivoted in one spot FOR heeltoe...
So I started practicing on that and now I can also do it on my other manual cars...it was more about understanding the logic of what I was trying to do...
but I don't think it's "necessary" in day to day driving...
Ascension (12-03-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,184 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I don't think it's "necessary" in day to day driving...

You've obviously never commuted at maximum attack.

Me?
I commute at maximum attack.
The following 3 users liked this post by BROlando:
Ascension (12-03-2022), Riboflavin (12-03-2022), rockstar143 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 10:54 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,985 Likes on 14,495 Posts
Just for you I heeltoe'd the entire way to pick up sushi and back tonight.
Ascension (12-03-2022)