Advice Needed on Purchasing Used

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed on Purchasing Used

I am in the preliminary stages of looking to buy a 2009 TL SH-AWD fully loaded with 22,000 miles for around $25-27k.

However, the car has been in an accident (the seller has disclosed from the start). From what I can tell, it is mostly cosmetic damage (front bumper, fog light, and quarter panel were replaced). But the caveat is that it was nearly $15k in repairs (side air bags were released, but I'm not sure about driver airbag).

Common logic usually says that once the airbags deploy to avoid the car at all costs. However, would you guys consider the car seeing that it happened 2 years ago and the seller has been driving it fine since then?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Mitch-S

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Stay away. Even if it wasn't in an accident, $25-27k is way too much.

You can buy a 2012 TL albeit base for $32k.

If you really want shawd and tech, I'd look at a 2010 or 2012 that still under warranty.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitch-S
Stay away. Even if it wasn't in an accident, $25-27k is way too much.

You can buy a 2012 TL albeit base for $32k.

If you really want shawd and tech, I'd look at a 2010 or 2012 that still under warranty.
^^^
Agree. And I never buy the first model year of a redesign.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
$15,000 in damages are no small repairs,Stay away and find something else.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mels
I am in the preliminary stages of looking to buy a 2009 TL SH-AWD fully loaded with 22,000 miles for around $25-27k.

However, the car has been in an accident (the seller has disclosed from the start). From what I can tell, it is mostly cosmetic damage (front bumper, fog light, and quarter panel were replaced). But the caveat is that it was nearly $15k in repairs (side air bags were released, but I'm not sure about driver airbag).

Common logic usually says that once the airbags deploy to avoid the car at all costs. However, would you guys consider the car seeing that it happened 2 years ago and the seller has been driving it fine since then?

Thanks for all the help!

My opinion is that it depends. Airbag replacements are a huge cost, and depending on the vehicle, another big cost is the labor. If I were you, this is what I'd do:
  1. Find out from the seller what the accident involved, and ask him to provide you the repair documentation, which should detail every part replaced and man hours involved, and who paid for the repairs. If the chassis didn't have to be straightened out or pulled, it might be worth it. And if the insurance company paid for it, all the better. Then follow on to the next test.
  2. Provide the VIN to Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda, and ask if the vehicle is eligible for the Acura Care with the accident (forward him the repair documentation). Typically for 2012, a vehicle must be 2008 or newer, and still under the original 4/50 warranty to be eligible. If it is still eligible despite the accident, take advantage of the situation.
If the above two passes, negotiate that car down to $22K or so. Then get that Acura Care from Bob. Trust me, it'll be worth it. But if you want that perfect car, might as well buy new or CPO. But think about it. Even if you bought a new car and later got in an accident, which your insurance deems it worthwhile to fix, even if the total repair job was $15K, wouldn't you still want to keep driving it? Unless you're just rolling around in cash. =)

I hope my perspective helps out a little bit.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by StHalcyon
My opinion is that it depends. Airbag replacements are a huge cost, and depending on the vehicle, another big cost is the labor. If I were you, this is what I'd do:
  1. Find out from the seller what the accident involved, and ask him to provide you the repair documentation, which should detail every part replaced and man hours involved, and who paid for the repairs. If the chassis didn't have to be straightened out or pulled, it might be worth it. And if the insurance company paid for it, all the better. Then follow on to the next test.
  2. Provide the VIN to Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda, and ask if the vehicle is eligible for the Acura Care with the accident (forward him the repair documentation). Typically for 2012, a vehicle must be 2008 or newer, and still under the original 4/50 warranty to be eligible. If it is still eligible despite the accident, take advantage of the situation.
If the above two passes, negotiate that car down to $22K or so. Then get that Acura Care from Bob. Trust me, it'll be worth it. But if you want that perfect car, might as well buy new or CPO. But think about it. Even if you bought a new car and later got in an accident, which your insurance deems it worthwhile to fix, even if the total repair job was $15K, wouldn't you still want to keep driving it? Unless you're just rolling around in cash. =)

I hope my perspective helps out a little bit.
Thanks for the reply.

The previous owner says that around 10k of the bill was just for airbags (I will be getting the repair bill from the owner on Monday). Does anyone know how much it typically is to replace the side air bags and front air bag?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying used today is challenging but getting your questions verified before buying can reduce the likelihood of an unpleasant experience. Insist on seeing written data that should back up what you are being told.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
I think you can get a 2009 TL SH-AWD for around $25-27k CPO from a dealership with good interest rate easily. The car you are dealing now is not cheap.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by under9hell
I think you can get a 2009 TL SH-AWD for around $25-27k CPO from a dealership with good interest rate easily. The car you are dealing now is not cheap.
My opinion is that CPOs are not a good deal. The dealer overcharges for that certification, and then you're stuck with purchasing AcuraCare from that dealer only, thus giving them even more advantage. That's why it is better to ask them to remove the certification, negotiate the price much lower, then go buy AcuraCare from Bob.

I also think that if everything checks out with this TL based on my litmus tests, it'd be a terrific steal to negotiate it down to $22K. The negotiation advantage is all with the buyer. =)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

My opinion is that CPOs are not a good deal. The dealer overcharges for that certification, and then you're stuck with purchasing AcuraCare from that dealer only, thus giving them even more advantage. That's why it is better to ask them to remove the certification, negotiate the price much lower, then go buy AcuraCare from Bob.

I also think that if everything checks out with this TL based on my litmus tests, it'd be a terrific steal to negotiate it down to $22K. The negotiation advantage is all with the buyer. =)
Yup, I was planning to negotiate down to the 20-22k range.

I will post the damage/break down of the cost on Monday to get all your opinions.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
4th Gear

I have attached the break down of the cost of the repairs.

I can see that suspension word was done (#47-52 on picture 3).

Does anyone know what #56 and #71 is on picture 3?

Would you guys purchase? If so, how much would you pay?

Name:  x7p1N.png
Views: 6
Size:  503 Bytes
Name:  hMX2E.png
Name:  HSyDa.png
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
i would defff stay away. By me in NJ there is a 2012 sh-awd/tech with 3,000 miles going for 34,000 but was in a accident and its been sitting at the dealer for like 3 months. Get new dont take a risk
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I wouldn't go for it. That's a lot of work on a car.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Do dealers remove certification in your area? Every dealer I've worked with when they chose to certify these cars are worked into the price since it is a fixed cost (extra labor and certain parameters that are needed to recondition the vehicle to make it certified prior to being on the lot).
Old 05-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Instructor

My personal opinion:
The damage isn't too bad. No bent frame, and pretty much replacement of parts.

#56 just means that the metal frame inside the seat was damaged, thus it had to be replaced. Cushion and cushion cover can typically withstand accidents. Or it could be the repair shop's way of saying the whole seat.

#71 is simply the soft ceiling material. In a side collision, or when the side curtain airbag deploys, the headliner will come loose or crack. They simply had to put in a new headliner.

I know it is normal reaction to stay away from anything that had an accident prior, but from my point of view, this wasn't a horrible accident/damage that is so serious that has compromised the car's abilities. I e-brake drifted a lot with my Eclipse GT, and I had an accident on a private drag. Tore up my rear right suspension.

Looking at my archived files, the suspension work was to replace:
  • LT Knuckle
  • LT Rear lower arm
  • LT Front lower arm
Also had to replace the brake assembly, wheels, tires, etc. Pretty much the same, if not worse, than the TL's accident. No frame damage/bent. All they had to do after the repairs was to perform an alignment back to specifications, and voila! I drove that Eclipse GT for another 3 years after the accident, and even clocked in at 137 mph once, and smooth as a glider.

Find out who the insurance is (should be in the repair invoice), and who repaired it. If both are reputable companies, then ask if the insurance provided a certificate of repair guarantee. And move on to my next test: Forward the repair docs and VIN to Bob Leab and ask if the car is still eligible for AcuraCare. If so, negotiate. If you want to have the peace of mind, ask if a mechanic or a friend who knows cars well can test drive it. I personally think, in my opinion, that this is an opportunity for you to rob the owner of his TL for cheap!

Just think about it. What are you going to do when you hit a big enough pot hole that bent one of your control arms and an alignment can't fix it? Replace your suspension parts, or go out and buy a new car? Let's be realistic.

I've also attached a diagram of what's what so you can have an idea of what was replaced, so you can somewhat get a sense of comfort. Of course, the decision is up to you. Just don't forget the remaining litmus test I gave you. You owe it to yourself to understand the full scope of damage and repair to make an educated decision. =)

Originally Posted by mels
I have attached the break down of the cost of the repairs.

I can see that suspension word was done (#47-52 on picture 3).

Does anyone know what #56 and #71 is on picture 3?

Would you guys purchase? If so, how much would you pay?

Attached Files
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Do dealers remove certification in your area? Every dealer I've worked with when they chose to certify these cars are worked into the price since it is a fixed cost (extra labor and certain parameters that are needed to recondition the vehicle to make it certified prior to being on the lot).
I have not tried asking. Bob Leab suggested to me that it is a possible thing to do, which led me to believe that the certification fee the dealer pays into isn't payable till after the sale of the vehicle. The fact that OpIv37 had an experience that a CPO was not in the system as CPO tells me that there is a window there for the dealer to save time on putting that payment down.

I know my second Integra was in the similar situation as OpIv37, but I didn't have problems with the purchase or the car itself, and eventually Acura mailed me all the necessary documents.

So I guess the answer is it depends on the situation?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I think some of these dealers jump the gun, stick a certification on a car without it being reconned properly and if a client is interested in buying they'll either rush to get whatever needs to be done finished (telling customers it'll be ready the next business day or two) all to save the cost on the actual additional work to certify a car or remove the certification if the work hasn't been done yet.

I use to be a fixed operations manager for an auto manufacturer (not Acura) so I get a little leery whenever dealer practices are brought up. They shouldn't be listing cars as certified if they actually aren't.