Acura we love your design

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Acura we love your design

Majority of the people on the internet hate the styling of the 4th generation TL. To me its only the internet since I don't encounter this in the real world.

So to all the TL owners, what do you like the most about the styling of the 4th generation TL? List one for the exterior and one for the interior. Its that simple!

1)Exterior:- I love the tail lights and its raised "eyebrow" look

2)Interior:-not technically the interior but love the sound of the engine from INSIDE of my TL
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From my experience, the vast majority of 3G owners and most other drivers I've come across in the real world HATE the 4G design....esp. the front beak... so it's not just the internet......the monthly sales figures that gets posted here from time to time also backs this up. However, ever since I changed out my grill with the RJ one, I've been getting nothing but rave reviews from pretty much everybody...including Infiniti, Lexus, BMW and even some Porsche owners.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The looks of the car had absolutely nothing to do with why I bought it.

I have been waiting for the particular combination of SH-AWD, 6-6 and big J Motor to be combined in one vehicle...and I was probably going to buy it no matter what it looked like. :-)

Now that I've owned it for a while, and I've stopped asking questions (like why the hell do we have architectural flying buttresses at the back glass?), I've kind of got into it and like it a lot. It's definitely a step ahead of everybody else.

It might not look good in the quarter shots that photographers traditionally take of cars...but it looks fine in motion. :-)
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exterior: I LOVE IT

Interior: I like it but B&W LCD displays in the center console and instrument cluster makes interior look a bit dated...
Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not own 1 I am going to buy but have not made up my mind yet on what to get. I love the interior the seats and the space, and the thing handles very good but I am having a hard time with the exterior. I have tested the G37 BMW 335i Hyundai Genesis ,Mercedes E 350 ,Lexus GS350, Audi A6 and the 335i is my 1st choice ,but the TL SH-AWD is my 2nd . I am waiting for the new M37 to come out then will buy after that. If I was going to buy right now it would be the TL as I have a BMW530i now and I would not buy another BMW. But like I said I don't like the looks of the new TL.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles50
I do not own 1 I am going to buy but have not made up my mind yet on what to get. I love the interior the seats and the space, and the thing handles very good but I am having a hard time with the exterior. I have tested the G37 BMW 335i Hyundai Genesis ,Mercedes E 350 ,Lexus GS350, Audi A6 and the 335i is my 1st choice ,but the TL SH-AWD is my 2nd . I am waiting for the new M37 to come out then will buy after that. If I was going to buy right now it would be the TL as I have a BMW530i now and I would not buy another BMW. But like I said I don't like the looks of the new TL.
Your list of vehicles is similar to what many have cross shopped the 4G TL SH-AWD against.

How would you describe your experience with the 530i? Why would you not buy another BMW?

I'm then curious if you would never buy another BMW, why is the 335i your first choice thus far? Inquiring minds
Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The majority seems to like the overall design just not the grill integration. I say integration because IMO it's not so much the grill design itself. It should be made of better material like aluminun instead of hollow platic and it should be flatter or more flush with the rest of the front end on the outer edges. Otherwise the car has amazing lines and counter, to me anyway. The side profile is a good design and I think the rear is the best part plus the chrome handle and window trims are a great compliment to the design. It a tough call because you can ask 50 people and get close to 50 different answers.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Exterior: Love the side belt line how it runs from the fenders right to the rear, the tailights are amazing t0o especially how they are chiseled to match the rear hips (the more I study my car the more I appreciate the design.
Interiror: Everything is perfect, virtually rattle free, my only concern is the wear of the seats.
The plenum is a good look and I think Acura should stick with it, right now Acura's vehicles stand out from the sea of the rest, whether for good or bad. With some fine tuning which apparently (according to some) is coming the plenum will be perfectly implemented on the TL. I now know how it can be done too in case there are some Acura execs. scratching their heads to figure it out. Make both fenders one piece which will help clean up the front and lengthen the hood so everything lines up above the head lights, this will probably make the plenum narrower also.
I know everyone has their own taste, but the majority of people out their that call the TL ugly are the same one's that think the new M looks good and are not Acura fans. Hopefully Acura just cleans up the front and leave the rest of the car alone, because just like the 3rd generation was this design is ahead of it's time and it stands out "keen edge", if you don't like it buy a conservative Lexus or Buick, if it was the other way around we would be calling it a Honda. They way I look at it if you bought must have liked it.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
If the front of the TL looked like the TSX it would be much better. The side profile of the car is much better than the 3G. The back is okay. The front is horrid. It's still a great car overall. If I were in the market for a new car, it'd be up there on my list. However, I don't think I'd get it. The Redesigned Audi is a gem to look at.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAB00
If the front of the TL looked like the TSX it would be much better. The side profile of the car is much better than the 3G. The back is okay. The front is horrid. It's still a great car overall. If I were in the market for a new car, it'd be up there on my list. However, I don't think I'd get it. The Redesigned Audi is a gem to look at.
I hope you aren't talking about the rear of the A4. That is the most lackluster careless design I have ever seen implemented on an automobile.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i think the Ass is the best... especially with an OEM lip kit.... just like every TL since the UA5...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
[QUOTE=kingofire;11742849]Majority of the people on the internet hate the styling of the 4th generation TL. To me its only the internet since I don't encounter this in the real world.

So to all the TL owners, what do you like the most about the styling of the 4th generation TL? List one for the exterior and one for the interior. Its that simple!

I hate the beak, I am OK with side profile, but the only thing that I LOVE about my AWD is the RIDE! It is an awesome ride and built like a tank. That being said I do find the 5 SPD ATUO sucks, this car needs a 6 SPD badly the tranny seems to get confused some times when slowing down and then accelerating, I suspect compbo of the 5 SPD and the power slack in the AWD drive train, there are times the car feels like it hesitates. In thend I gave up wanting to love the looks since I love it from the inside when I am driving it!!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=KeithL;11745192]
Originally Posted by kingofire
Majority of the people on the internet hate the styling of the 4th generation TL. To me its only the internet since I don't encounter this in the real world.

I hate the beak, I am OK with side profile, but the only thing that I LOVE about my AWD is the RIDE! It is an awesome ride and built like a tank. That being said I do find the 5 SPD ATUO sucks, this car needs a 6 SPD badly the tranny seems to get confused some times when slowing down and then accelerating, I suspect compbo of the 5 SPD and the power slack in the AWD drive train, there are times the car feels like it hesitates. In thend I gave up wanting to love the looks since I love it from the inside when I am driving it!!

Keith, I agree with you 100% on every point. Hated the beak so much I went with the RJ and now love the front more than ever. Like you said, the ride and handling is what ultimately sold me on the 4G...it's one of the best in it's class. However, the omission of a 6-sp AT has to be one of the biggest, stupidest decisions Acura has ever made in a new model. It's even more ridiculous for Acura to introduce their new 6-sp AT in a SUV and crossover (MDX/ZDX) first over their bread-n-butter signature sedan. However, adding the Takeda Intake has lessened my disappointment somewhat in this regard.....it has changed the whole personality of the car every time you step on the gas pedal.

Last edited by PetesTL; 02-16-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Advanced

I like the back a lot -- has a low-slung look the way it angles toward the middle. The side profile looks good, though similar to other cars in the segment. The front is growing on me, but will never be great.

Inside I like the intesgration of the front center dash and the lower center conole. Too many cars stil have this as two pieces -- the TL looks great here. And for the record, there ARE NOT too many buttons! count them -- no more or less than needed (and about the same as any other car with the same options).
Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Grandpa

I wonder what's going to happen if the MMC makes substantial changes to the grille for the 2012/2013 model years.

In typical Internet fashion, we might be able to predict that the original TL design will suddenly attain celebrity status.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I wonder what's going to happen if the MMC makes substantial changes to the grille for the 2012/2013 model years.

In typical Internet fashion, we might be able to predict that the original TL design will suddenly attain celebrity status.

I don't see that happening. If Acura changes the grill on the TL, then they will have to do the same for all their models as well. Acura has firmly embraced the new grill design. It's their new corporate symbol. They have spent many years just to create their new identity and I highly doubt they will dump it just like that. If they modify it at all, I think it may end up looking like the one on the new ZDX.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Grandpa

I don't mean dumping it completely.

I mean a re-design to minimise the overall visual effect. The TL's grille is very blatantly out there when compared to the TSX and others in the Acura line.

I've got used to it, personally, and have come to appreciate the car's visuals.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
^^ +1 I love the look of the car, the lines and profile. And even the front and the back. The grille was a little over the top, so I swapped with the RJ grille as well. I hated the lights.. on a black car the white headlights were way to contrasty... had JnC work his magic and BAM, dead sexy front.

The haters can continue to hate if they want. I'm happy with my purchase, and will continue to be happy for the next 10+ years I plan on keeping this car. There is nothing else like it on the road, which is also why I love it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petec2010
^^ +1 I love the look of the car, the lines and profile. And even the front and the back. The grille was a little over the top, so I swapped with the RJ grille as well. I hated the lights.. on a black car the white headlights were way to contrasty... had JnC work his magic and BAM, dead sexy front.

The haters can continue to hate if they want. I'm happy with my purchase, and will continue to be happy for the next 10+ years I plan on keeping this car. There is nothing else like it on the road, which is also why I love it.
Right on man, I totally echo what petec2010 said!

I've been eyeing the TL ever since it came out back in 2008. The front-end, profile and lines gave it that chiseled cyborg look so for me, the TL reminded me a lot of the japanese gundam franchise which I adored since I was a kid. A few friends said the insides look like cockpit from some kind of spaceship. Combining that with my TL being rock-solid after 10K miles just makes this car all the better and adds to peace of mind.

Let the haters hate because TL owners know what we got.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

My experance with the BMW was not problem free bought new had some electrical problems all fixed under warranty. The reason I would never buy a BMW again is run flat tires. BMW come with run flats no spare tire or jack. The run flats don't last long and cost a lot to replace. Why I liked the 335i the motor is great power everywhere, steering and handling and a very solid feeling.I would never get 1 though my son-in-law has a 335i and has had to replace the fuilpump twice.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

I forgot why it is my 1st choice well it really is not by 1st choice if I had to buy it . The 335i is my 1st choice as far as fun to drive. If I was going to buy right now it would be the TL sh-awd as it does everything well expept the front end looks. I am waiting for the new M37 then I well decide what to get.I have to admit the more I see the TL the better it is starting to look.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I like the design....front and rear. I think it looks masculine, if that's possible.

Interior, I like the aluminum trim and seats. Very nicely done. I was all set to buy one, but my dealer didn't have my preferred color CBP w/umber. Or, BRP with Taupe.

That started me to looking at other cars. Test drove a bunch of them. I ranked them in this order...( again, preferring the TL SH AWD as my top choice).......

2. (tie) BMW 335i and Infiniti G37x
3. Cadillac CTS4
4. Ford Taurus SHO
5. Audi A4 Quattro
6. Mercedes C300 4 matic

That is, until I got a VPP certificate (special pricing from a Nissan employee) for an Infiniti.

Now, the G37x has edged out the TL because I can get a 2010...all loaded up (premium, nav, wood, and other misc stuff) for $35K and change. I can't touch a TL SH-AWD/Tech for that price. Not even close.

I even told my Acura dealer (where I bought my 3G from) that he should have accepted my first offer a month or so ago for $38.4 for a SH-AWD tech and looked for my preferred color combo from another dealership (two things he didn't want to do). He's been calling me everyday to find out if I pulled the trigger on the G37x. And, wanting me to come back in to "work out a deal on the car I WANT".

As soon as the snow clears, I'm going to have to go drive the G37 again. I know I test drove one a couple of months ago (coming directly from the BMW test drive) and was dutifully impressed. But, I drove an '09, which already was subject to a year's depreciation as soon as I drove it off the lot. Plus, from what I hear, Inifiniti updated the nav on the '10s. And, they did some cosmetic changes (finally moving the fog lamps to their proper position).

We'll see how this turns out.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My experance with the BMW was not problem free bought new had some electrical problems all fixed under warranty. The reason I would never buy a BMW again is run flat tires. BMW come with run flats no spare tire or jack. The run flats don't last long and cost a lot to replace. Why I liked the 335i the motor is great power everywhere, steering and handling and a very solid feeling.I would never get 1 though my son-in-law has a 335i and has had to replace the fuilpump twice.
Same here as well. The run flats without option for real tires was a non-starter for me. No long road trips with that combo, cause if you need a tire replaced in the middle of Kansas, you're SOL.

Also no dipstick either for those that care to check their oil levels. You only have an electronic monitor that shows when oil is low, and no idea how low.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Your experience mirrors what the vast majority of my friends who have and had Bimmers went through; costly RFT, constant electrical problems, and things here and there. The 335 fuel pump is a major design flaw; if it weren't were for the fuel pump issues, electrical problems, and RFTs, I would have gotten a 335xi. Then again, it wouldn't be a BMW

Back on topic:

The interior of the 4G TL is top notch. Spacious, comfy, high tech, very business like, similar to my prior 1G TSX. Love the aluminum trim.

The side profile of the 4G TL is great, very sleek, like a "match and bullet." I like the rear as well, unique, futuristic. The grill seems to do okay with the palladium metallic color, though I do stare at it from time to time; seems to look best when the car is in motion.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
As a side note, I used to have an '05 330i. If anyone has or had one, BMW apparently agreed to replace the RFT (which I had done already, right after I bought the car), for the same reasons everyone stated) or refund the price of the new tires for anyone who did.

Check the BMW forms or your local BMW club for more information. My local BMW club, which I used to be a member, informed me of this last week. Supposed to be true even if you no longer own the car (which I don't). You need proof that you bought a new BMW with RFTs from your dealer. And, you need a note/receipt from the tire store who replaced them.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Exterior - I think the whole car looks futureistic, expensive, "robotic" and fast. Especially the side and back.

Interior - The center stack looks and feels great. A very nice auto transmission to play play with, and USB audio.

Everyday when I'm driving around, I think to myself how much I like this car.

Last edited by Litt; 02-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Having a 2007 TL, hated what Acura did the first time I saw the new design, but it grew on me, especially when I started seen it on the streets...

I'm a sucker for technology so they got me with the interior from the beginning...

Exterior... I was in a light the other day right next to a 3G TL and someone in my car told me "Dude, this one looks more car than the old one... "
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another issue with the run flats which happened to a coworker. When you get a flat you can drive on the tire and get it to a repair station. However, getting a new tire requires immediate attention. With a donut tire you can easily drive another week albeit at a 50 mph max and get the a new tire when it fits into you schedule.