Is Acura themselves or individual dealers stingy on warranty repairs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Is Acura themselves or individual dealers stingy on warranty repairs ?

I'm just wondering as I have had multiple warranty repairs recently and am in the process of hopefully getting another one for my seat. I had a Nav screen replaced on my TLS a few years ago ( a 2000.00 repair) without even a smidge of resistance and yet other issues I have taken to other dealers it seems they almost don't want to do the work even though they would be getting reimbursed via corporate.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
IDK but one thing I do know for sure is that the dealer wants you to come in after your warranty is up. The dealer provides a discount to Acura for the warranty work they do. Whereas for consumers, they can charge full price.

Find a dealer with a slow service department and I want to assume they will fight tooth and nail to get your warranty work done.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I think it's individual dealers because I've seen stories on AZ where a dealer fixed a problem under warranty for one person but other dealers refused to cover it (e.g. hood props). I'm fortunate that my local dealership is awesome.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
^ This.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:13 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
One thing that I remember worked well with Honda dealers over the years, at least for me, is the last day or first day of the month, when their quota is open. I don't want to spread rumors or make assumptions and statements that may not be correct... but I do suspect that they (Honda and probably Acura dealers) have a quota, each one a different one, for monthly warranty work that they can't exceed. Again, don't want to spread rumors etc. But you can try going the first day of the month and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by C8N
The dealer provides a discount to Acura for the warranty work they do. Whereas for consumers, they can charge full price.
I'm not following what your saying here. What do you mean the dealer provides a discount to Acura ?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:09 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I'm not following what your saying here. What do you mean the dealer provides a discount to Acura ?
Dealers do not do warranty work for free. They are paid by Acura.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
When warranty work is done on the car, Dealerships are paid a negotiated rate on labor plus parts at cost. When we go to the dealer, we have to pay full price for labor and parts!

3rd party warranty companies will negotiate lower labor rates (mine was $105/hr at BMW vs $150 regularly) and as well will negotiate with the service advisor/dept on pricing for parts.

The original example which was posted is perfect. The navi screen is replaced because the tech said it should be replaced. When the tech feels this way, the repair is usually done without any issue.

The problem comes with approving repairs sometimes because the tech isn't sure of a few things or because the service advisor/manager decided not to pursue the claim.

Honestly, speaking to the technican who works on your car is the best way to get repairs done properly. A lot gets lost in communicantion between the service advisor and the tech.

Also A LOT of dealerships push the tech's to turn and burn! For example the power steering recall on the 3G was supposed to take 4-5 hours of labor. Dealerships pushed tech's to do it another way which took 2 hours so they could knock out all the cars faster, but they still get paid the negotiated rate from acura on the 4-5 hours.

With that said, if you have a transmission problem and the dealer creates another problem with the trans, usually the car company will not pay and the dealer is on the hook.

I have a buddy with a 2012 BMW 750 with the N62 Recall. His car has been in the shop for 44 days so far and BMW is only paying for the recall work, but the 2 tech's working on the car haven't been able to finish the work yet! At least he has a 328 rental
Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
My TSX had almost $2100 worth of warranty work done in the last 2 months. Dealership replaced EVERYTHING I asked for, without batting an eye. Heck even did rotor turning and they billed warranty for it.

Loaners, no question asked, does everythign I ask, and I am EXTREMELY picky (annoying customer-per service writer).

I email service writer, 11 bullet points things I wanted fixed. They ordered. I showed up, with my bullet points, paper printed out.

It took him FOREVER to input all in computer (I don't care it was 7am).

Everything fixed, never asked a question.

Now my Lotus-with the dealer! HAH. God help me. Warranty service is HORRENDOUS!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing service and and no issue with warranty repairs for the dealership here in Salt Lake City. Had a rattle in the trunk....replaced the propeller shaft, rear shocks and sway bar links plus loaner for 2 days. Battery then died driving out of the dealership and got a new one on warranty....this on the same week Lexus charged me for gas in their loaner...