AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Acura 3.7L oil experiment UPDATE (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/acura-3-7l-oil-experiment-update-927004/)

dzionny_dzionassi 12-13-2015 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD (Post 15633160)
I've not seen a credible, technical explanation; lots of speculation, but nothing authoritative. Confounding it is the fact that some have oil consumption, some have none, and a few have truly serious consumption issues. I'd love to know exactly why.

Because there is none at this moment, but i am pretty sure it got something to do with cylinder walls and not with rings....
I have 2012 mdx with 42k miles and at this moment 0% oil consumption problems (knock on the wood).
PS i am driving my MDX very aggressive...
People with consumption problems. How do you drive??? Like grandma, spirited , aggressive, idling a lot? If you bought your car new what was your brake in procedure? I never went over 3000rpms for 6000miles..

I am about to buy 2013-14 tl with j37 engine... not sure.. waiting maybe for TLX type S... Will see what Detoit auto show gonna bring us.

HondaOwnerForLife 12-13-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi (Post 15633199)
Because there is none at this moment, but i am pretty sure it got something to do with cylinder walls and not with rings....
I have 2012 mdx with 42k miles and at this moment 0% oil consumption problems (knock on the wood).
PS i am driving my MDX very aggressive...
People with consumption problems. How do you drive??? Like grandma, spirited , aggressive, idling a lot? If you bought your car new what was your brake in procedure? I never went over 3000rpms for 6000miles..

I am about to buy 2013-14 tl with j37 engine... not sure.. waiting maybe for TLX type S... Will see what Detoit auto show gonna bring us.

Driving style: Enthusiastic, spirited, but with respect for the machine and circumstance. Did not buy new - obtained with 52,508 miles April 25th, 2015. I believe break-in period should be driven as you normally drive.

HondaOwnerForLife 12-20-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife (Post 15631691)
I'm going with 5W-30 at the next oil change. With 1,484 miles on the new short block, I've added 3/4 of a QT. I check it every two weeks and top it off if not at the full line. The good news is that at the last check I did not have to add oil. Right at the full mark like I left it 463 miles ago. A good sign, yet I can't explain it.
A spirited drive home tonight reminded me why I sought this car......damn...

It is "oil check Sunday" today. Another 499 miles in two weeks and oil level is still hovering at the full line. No oil added today. That's 962 miles now since I last had to bring it up to the full line.

turner 01-04-2016 06:49 PM

I've personally owned a 2009 TL 3.5 that had absolutely no oil burning 69k. Now I currently own a 2009 3.7 SH-AWD and have noticed some differences in consumption based on how I drive it, which is really disappointing going from no oil burning, to a car that is suppose to be cooler in my opinion, with AWD that now burns oil. It currently has 79k. I've also noticed if you drive it "peacefully" with no quick revs/heavy foot, it doesn't burn as much as compared to driving it hard.

614erich 02-10-2016 10:34 AM

knock on engine. I don't think I have any oil consumption issues. 12 6MT with 18k. I just change the oil with MID, but thinking of doing this blackstone thing for the heck of it. Thanks for letting us know. $25 for piece of mind is worth it imo

6SpeedTL 02-10-2016 03:54 PM

Well I decided to do an early oil change since I was changing the diff, trans and transfer fluid. I went ahead with castrols European formula (5w-40).

After approx. 3K miles the fluid is about 1/3 down on the dipstick. This is the slowest rate I've had so far. Im not experimenting with any more oils and will stick with this to try and prevent future engine issues due to oil consumption.

Will report back after more driving. I plan on sending a sample to blackstone on the next change.

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL (Post 15619024)
2nd Update:

After 2,830 miles the car burned approx. 0.5 quarts of oil, this will equate to approx. 1 qt per 5700 miles. Again, this is with mobil one high mileage, 5w-30.

Pretty sure i will switch to mobile one European formula on the next change. I'm fairly certain Acura recommends 5w-20 only for fuel consumption ratings and this engine actually requires a heavier weight.

Edward'TLS 02-10-2016 07:07 PM

^^^^^

The thicker the engine oil viscosity, the lesser amount of oil is gonna seep past the piston rings and gets burnt off.

However, thicker viscosity oil will not "go between" and lubricate tight-fitting internal engine parts as easy as lighter viscosity oil, and may inadvertently cause more internal engine wear, not right away, but some time in the future.