Acura 2012 TL Leather Upholstery Protector

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Acura 2012 TL Leather Upholstery Protector

Hey guys I just want to know what kind of product other than autoglym do you guys use to protect your beautiful leather upholstery in Acura's cars a specially TL. I currently own 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech package and I currently use AUTOGLYM leather care balm for my TL. It is wonderful product and I would recommend to anyone. I apply it to Acura upholstery at least 5 to 6 times a year. Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Acura 2012 TL Leather Upholstery Protector-autoglym.jpg  

Last edited by Jerry"O"; 01-18-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
leatherique is the best... its rather pricey but has the best results..

google it,, look at the reviews..
Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Potz is right, leatherique is the best but it doesn't have a very good scent, I'd use leatherique if you need to restore old worn leather, that's where it shines.

For monthly upkeep personally I've had good experiences with Zaino Z-10 "Leather in a bottle", it works good as a conditioner and provides some UV protection and it gives your car an awesome leather smell.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
Leatherique is definitely where it's at.

I have Sonax Leather Foam though which works with pretty good results. I used Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner previously.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
If you are simply trying to keep your newer seats looking good, remember: less is more.

I've seen people apply way too much conditioner, and the seats looked old prematurely.

I would apply a very, very thin application if necessary. Lexol or Connolly are fine, or anything similar that is water based and Ph balanced.

My method is use the smallest amount possible to cover, and then quickly follow by wiping with a dry towel.

Obviously a totally different story if you are trying to restore something.
The following users liked this post:
Grez007 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Thank you guys for all the informative comments. I think we have a winner!!! I will try the leatherique in the summer. There is so many products up there that is sometimes so hard to pick up the proper one.

Last edited by Jerry"O"; 01-19-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
I would advise not to use any leather protection or cleaning product, the best way to keep your aniline leather interior beautiful, distilled water apply it to a microfiber cloth, just damp not wet. Clean the aniline leather let dry and buff with a dry microfiber cloth.
morgan1819 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM

^^ and you know this how?? there is a reason why professionals use leather conditioners and cleaning products..

or is that your PROFESSIONAL opinion?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Advanced

before you jump on him, you may want to do a little research.

There are a lot of people who will tell you the same thing. Of course, people who sell leather conditioner will tell you something else.

Here is a direct quote from the leather manufacturer: "Moisture (water) is good for Aniline leather as it helps with rehydration but never over soak your leather as this may distort the leather fibres".

The key, with whatever you use to wipe down the leather, is to use VERY LITTLE. I use a cloth that is barely damp ... and then instantly go over it with a dry microfiber towel.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
^^ and you know this how?? there is a reason why professionals use leather conditioners and cleaning products..

The following 4 users liked this post by morgan1819:
DASS (02-02-2015), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-14-2015), mylove4cars (01-21-2015), NickFury (04-10-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts on Leatherique vs Lexol? Or is it the samee?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Racer

Monsanto, Union Carbide, BASF and the likes need your money plus all the other professionals as well. This is my PROFESSIONAL opinion.

About leather, tons of excellent info out in the wild, believe me leather needs to breed, chemicals do the opposite they apply a film on top of the leather. Look at a lot of leather interiors house or cars, after some time they all shine loosing there natural beautiful look.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by morgan1819
before you jump on him, you may want to do a little research.

There are a lot of people who will tell you the same thing. Of course, people who sell leather conditioner will tell you something else.

Here is a direct quote from the leather manufacturer: "Moisture (water) is good for Aniline leather as it helps with rehydration but never over soak your leather as this may distort the leather fibres".

The key, with whatever you use to wipe down the leather, is to use VERY LITTLE. I use a cloth that is barely damp ... and then instantly go over it with a dry microfiber towel.
Understanding the different types of leather.

read first post about Aniline leather..

then read posit 13..

think about it.. do you just wash your car with straight water.. or do you use a car shampoo.. these products have a purposes.. each type of leather has a catering product.. but water just dont cut it as it has no cleaning agent.. and know that water does EVAPORATE and has no oils or minerals.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by mylove4cars
...About leather, tons of excellent info out in the wild, believe me leather needs to breed, chemicals do the opposite they ...
I think that when they're still at the breeding stage, they prefer to be called "cows". Calling them leather is a bit insulting.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I think that when they're still at the breeding stage, they prefer to be called "cows". Calling them leather is a bit insulting.
Breathing , sorry for the spelling, still learning my native is Dutch. Try my best to improve.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Dude,

Don't preach to me. Go ahead and preach your knowledge to the leather manufacturer I quoted. (hint, they produce leather for Acura).

Remember this one point: I could care less what you say.

But, it's the internet, so I should have expected a bullsh@t post coming my way.

then read posit 13..

think about it.. do you just wash your car with straight water.. or do you use a car shampoo.. these products have a purposes.. each type of leather has a catering product.. but water just dont cut it as it has no cleaning agent.. and know that water does EVAPORATE and has no oils or minerals.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe we have coated leather. I am not sure if it is porous or not. I have been going back and forth between Griots leather conditioner and 303 Aerospace protectant.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2012 base TL without the Milano leather. It's not my favorite but it's a heck of a lot better than the fake leather on the new TLX base. Unless I just made an idiot out of myself because my leather is probably another form of pleather.

As for cleaning. Is there a difference in cleaning & treating the base leather vs milano leather?

Thank you
Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Zanios... accept no substitutes.

As long as it's real leather
Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
is the Megiuars leather conditioner any good??
Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry"O"
I currently own 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech package and I currently use AUTOGLYM leather care balm for my TL. It is wonderful product and I would recommend to anyone.

Just picked up some today from C.T. will try it out once I get home and update this post.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
This is the product I have.

I have not had my car long enough to observe any positive or negative impact, but I think the main key to any leather protection product is to use very little.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Marmbo
Just picked up some today from C.T. will try it out once I get home and update this post.

Well, been about 40 hours and it seems to work well enough for now. Will continue to use it once every 4->6 months.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Hey guys I am about to purchase the leather cleaner and protection product very soon but recently I came across the Swissvax Leather Care product. Has anyone used it on Acura's leather yet?? Any feedback and opinion about it? The choice is either Leatherique or Swissvax? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Jerry"O"; 03-26-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
Originally Posted by DASS
This is the product I have.

I have not had my car long enough to observe any positive or negative impact, but I think the main key to any leather protection product is to use very little.
Mega worked fine on ebony leather, it wasn't good on umber. I use lexol on umber and have a leatherique set sitting around, which I plan to use on a hot day.

Originally Posted by Jerry"O"
Hey guys I am about to purchase the leather cleaner and protection product very soon but recently I came across the Swissvax Leather Care product. Has anyone used it on Acura's leather yet?? Any feedback and opinion about it? The choice is either Leatherique or Swissvax? What do you guys think?
Never heard of it.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally use Chemical guys leather serum. It's great.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going to throw in a vote for Pinnacle brand cleaner & conditioner. It doesn't change the sheen of the leather & the fresh leather smell is fantastic.

Site says: "Pinnacle Leather Cleaner will remove just about any stain. Natural citrus cleaners penetrate deep into every pore to gently lift out dirt, grease and oils. Pinnacle Leather Cleaner cleans without over-drying.

Pinnacle Leather Conditioner nourishes leather with a rich formula of lanolin and natural oils. These oils quickly absorb into the hide leaving a non-greasy, satin finish that actually repels dirt and moisture. A subtle fragrance compliments the leather’s natural aroma. Pinnacle Leather Conditioner armors the leather with strong UV protection. Regular use prevents drying, cracking, and fading."

I really like it & the Pinnacle brand in general.

-Sarah
OnyekwereJI (04-09-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then read posit 13..

Water IS a cleaning agent, my friend. One of the most powerful polar protic solvents around, especially if you're looking to stay pH neutral. The more chemicals you add, (generally) the more acidic or basic the solution becomes. There's a good reason why a great many cleaning solutions are predominantly water-based. It's not just filler. As for my professional opinion, I'm a Chemist, so there's that.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:10 AM
Intermediate

then read posit 13..

Preserving/restoring the leather, however, is a different story entirely. You're gonna need something a hair more aggressive than water, which does evaporate fairly quickly.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 AM
Intermediate

As for my $0.02, I would suggest cleaning with a bit of water regularly. It'll rehydrate the leather and take some of those more shallow creases out. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (most natural, least processed) gives a great shine and doesn't eat the cotton stitching like some mineral oils and detergents do.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The Pinnacle products I mentioned above have a neutral pH...
Old 03-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PICA
The Pinnacle products I mentioned above have a neutral pH...
I was just making the point that many times, a bit of water does the trick. A lot of this stuff boils down to polarity and acid-base chemistry. At least, that's how I see it. Wasn't knocking or endorsing anyone's product of choice, I just know that keeping it simple works for me!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 AM
8th Gear

Yes I have used Megiuars Leather conditioner
and it works well for my TL.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:07 PM
5th Gear

I use Lexol cleaner & conditioner personally on all my cars for the last 10 years including my 2012 TL and its really good. Kept my leathers looking clean and new.

I also used meguiar's and its good too. Never tried Zino and other more expensive products, wondering if there's a difference.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Schu
Zanios... accept no substitutes.

As long as it's real leather
you are aware zaino products are just rebranded duragloss products right?

Do you also "layer" your waxes?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:26 PM
n00b

I've always cleaned with a clean, damp towel, and used Lexol to condition with positive results.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends what kind of climate the car is located. In the hot dry southwestern climate some leather conditioner helps extend the life of the seat covers. You are right about not using the product too often. Once or twice a year is plenty; twice a year if the car sits in the hot sun. It's also good to use a quality leather cleaner to remove oil, grease, and sweat.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Use water:woolite solution mixed 6-10 parts water: 1 part woolite depending on how strong of a cleaner you need. Spray on MF towel, use towel to agitate leather surface. Follow up with a damp towel to remove any residue. Repeat as necessary, dry seats afterwards.

I use 303 Aerospace protectant since most automotive leather is coated with plastic to keep the oils in and the grime on the surface. UV protection is pretty much all you need.

Leatherique is great at restoring old leather and leather that wasn't taken care of well. I've heard great things about Zaino Leather in a bottle and it's amazing leather scent. I used to use lexol but found it to darken the seats way to much over time. I used leatherique after 5-6 years of using lexol exclusively and was shocked by the amount of color change!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PICA
I'm going to throw in a vote for Pinnacle brand cleaner & conditioner. It doesn't change the sheen of the leather & the fresh leather smell is fantastic.

Site says: "Pinnacle Leather Cleaner will remove just about any stain. Natural citrus cleaners penetrate deep into every pore to gently lift out dirt, grease and oils. Pinnacle Leather Cleaner cleans without over-drying.

Pinnacle Leather Conditioner nourishes leather with a rich formula of lanolin and natural oils. These oils quickly absorb into the hide leaving a non-greasy, satin finish that actually repels dirt and moisture. A subtle fragrance compliments the leather’s natural aroma. Pinnacle Leather Conditioner armors the leather with strong UV protection. Regular use prevents drying, cracking, and fading."

I really like it & the Pinnacle brand in general.

-Sarah
Thanks Sarah, I will try the Pinnacle cleaner and conditioner and see how it works. Last week at autogeek the conditioner was for free and this week the cleaner was for free. If you spent $150 on products plus additional discounts. In my case I just spent $150 on wolfgang products. I love this acurazine site!!! So many nice people with so many great information!!!!

Last edited by Jerry"O"; 05-24-2015 at 08:04 PM.