Active Noise Cancelling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Active Noise Cancelling

I know that the 07-08 TL type-s featured this, but I couldn't find information on whether or not the 09 TL includes it or not.

Can anyone confirm the presence or lack thereof of anc?

If it has it, how well does it work? If not, how quiet is the vehicle?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is no such feature on the '09 TL's.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

PeteTL is right. However, due to the 10 speaker and dolby prologic II surround sound, it's quite difficult to hear anything outside of you. With my experience..for MP3s on your USB, once the volume is 8+ it becomes rather difficult, 12 would be like impossible and I'd say my ears are pretty good due to being an audiophilia
Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

I meant 8 speaker system.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No you had it right, it's technically a 10 speaker system if you have a Tech based model, the non-tech is 8 speakers. I've always been suspicious about the sound moniker, "noise cancellation". I think Bose warped America with their brilliant advertising of those weak ass headphones. Once you put any headphone on, it dampens the outside noise, dah? I'm glad Sony doesn't boast the best headphones ever made. The only true noise cancellation process that I've seen effectively work, was in the studio. We used to strategically place to monitors to "phase each other out" so that the microphone wouldn't feedback and the singer could sing into a microphone without using headphones. Other than that, it's a little audio hogwash if you ask me.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm glad Acura didn't incorporate Noise cancelling into the 4G......I love hearing the exhaust when I wind her up!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 3G TLS with noise cancelling but I don't notice a difference from the 05 TL I had prior. There is no mention of the noise cancelling feature in the manual that I can find so I think its a marketing ploy at best.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bose is still winning with that campaign.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
I'm glad Acura didn't incorporate Noise cancelling into the 4G......I love hearing the exhaust when I wind her up!
What he said.

I would like to hear some ambient noise to get a sense of my surroundings while I drive.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 AM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually bmode I disagree. It's not a campaign or marketing gimmick by bose. The active noise cancellation on them works flawlessly even if you're not listening to music. If you've ever used them on a plane you'd know be amazed. The way they work is similar to what you stated. The speakers generate a sound wave that has a phase shift of 180 degrees to the ambient noise and thus "cancels" it. It works the same way on the TL-S. The difference between different systems is what ambient noise frequencies are considered "undesirable" and should be filtered out. This might explain why people notice different things....
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use earplugs
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bose speakers are a joke. They are an amazing marketing machine however, the best in the world quite frankly. How else can you keep repolishing a turd and sell it for gold prices? That being said, Bose engineering is top notch and if they wanted to, they could outdesign virtually anyone. They however don't need to as long as they can keep integrating 25 cent drivers into their speakers and sell them at Best Buy for $1k and more!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 07 RL (with ANC) and an 09 TL (without it). The TL is almost just as quiet. They added a lot of noise deadening material and techniques to the car that makes it MUCH quieter then the last gen. It really doesn't need ANC, especially since it's supposed to be a "sports" sedan. IMO
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rhn75
Actually bmode I disagree. It's not a campaign or marketing gimmick by bose. The active noise cancellation on them works flawlessly even if you're not listening to music. If you've ever used them on a plane you'd know be amazed. The way they work is similar to what you stated. The speakers generate a sound wave that has a phase shift of 180 degrees to the ambient noise and thus "cancels" it. It works the same way on the TL-S. The difference between different systems is what ambient noise frequencies are considered "undesirable" and should be filtered out. This might explain why people notice different things....
I have tested them on a plane. IMO they are garbage! My Sony MDR-V600 professional headphones "blose" them away and actually have a much better high and low frequency response. No highs, no lows, it must be Bose. I'm actually happy now that we have the ELS system in the TL, thank God it's not a Bose system.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
I have a 3G TLS with noise cancelling but I don't notice a difference from the 05 TL I had prior.
Since they never provided an on/off switch it was the most difficult 'feature' to show a customer. However, I learned that if you cover the microphones in the car, you can hear a change in the ambient noise in the TL-S and RL.

Originally Posted by Audioholics
Bose speakers are a joke. They are an amazing marketing machine however, the best in the world quite frankly.
I'd say they are neck-n-neck with Monster Cable for those 'bragging rights"
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Since they never provided an on/off switch it was the most difficult 'feature' to show a customer. However, I learned that if you cover the microphones in the car, you can hear a change in the ambient noise in the TL-S and RL.
True. It's just a pinhole mic so it's easy to smother with your fingertip. Not sure about the TL, but the RL has a mic in the back also. Have someone in the backseat cover that hole as well to do the test. It becomes quite apparent how much of a difference it makes with engine and exhaust noise.

That said, my assessment still stands, the TL is a quiet car, even without the ANC. The new TSX also is giant improvement from the last gen. It's obvious Acura put a lot of emphasis in this area with the redesigns. The prior TL and TSX (especially the TSX) were like driving inside a tin can. Hardly gave you a "luxury" experience.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
I have tested them on a plane. IMO they are garbage! My Sony MDR-V600 professional headphones "blose" them away and actually have a much better high and low frequency response. No highs, no lows, it must be Bose. I'm actually happy now that we have the ELS system in the TL, thank God it's not a Bose system.
I have a pair if the Bose QC3 headphones - 1st set lasted 7 months, since then they work fine for about 2 months - then one side will stop working. - I call bose - and they replace em - on about my 10th set now. Sometimes at work I can be in a noisy environment - the noise cancelation - definitely works - turn them on w/ no music - and you can tell the decrease in noise - more so than just the fact they cover your ears, plus when listening to music I can cut the volume to 50% of the level w/ the ear buds - and still hear better. so far as quiet in the 4G and even the 3G - I think the windshield has a lot to do w/ the sound levels in the car - isn't there some sort of special 'acustic' layer or something in the windshield - I notice its absence at highway speeds in other cars w/o the feature.