ACCURATEin's Automobile Attachment Theory pertaining to the 2009 TL..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
ACCURATEin's Automobile Attachment Theory pertaining to the 2009 TL..

It appears the general consensus in this section prior to the release of the all new 2009 Acura TL is that the exterior design is a disaster. From reading through the many posts that have been directed at or about the appearance, it's quite evident most of the people here have a bad feeling about the new model. But I believe all of this can be explained.

Attachment:
Certain people gravitate towards particular models. The model may be so gravitating towards the person, that they may end up becoming obsessed with the particular design of the automobile. The person spends a host of time dwelling on the model and may even be unable to focus on other topics. Through time, the attached individual starts believing there is no chance for improvement upon the current model. The person may become fully attached and may develop a level of denial.

Denial:
The second stage in this theory deals with the denial stage. When an individual has become fully attached to an automobile, there is nothing else that matters to that person. The person may begin to discard of any incoming threats or opportunities that arise for implementation or improvement. When new information is released about new models, the person will start to criticize the new automobile, ranging from the exterior design elements to the powerband and handling characteristics, all the way to the MSRP.

Post Release Acceptance:
The third stage deals with the individual finally coming around to accepting the newly released model. This level begins to commence in the following weeks and months after the model release. The attached individual will be on the lookout for the new model as he or she is on their daily commute. The first sight of the model will make a big impression upon the attached individual. Feelings of insecurity may be imminent. Some will further their denial and experience sudden outbursts of hatred and disgust. Others will take on the raised eyebrow effect with the surprised look. Depending on which reaction the individual takes, will determine the amount of time it will take to fully grasp the reality.

Reality Check:
The final stage deals with the attached individual circuming to reality. The new model will begin to fill the streets with its presence. The person will see the new model time and time again, and will have to face the fact that this new model exists. Some will begin to grow a soft spot for the newly released model and may accept the fact that it exists. This person will slowly come to accept the design elements and the model may eventually grow on the person. Other individuals may still be in denial and remain attached to their original vehicle for a period of time.

Relating the Automobile Attachment Theory to the new TL:
So in relevance to the 4th generation Acura TL, we have a host of individuals that are attached to the 3rd generation. Each person's level of attachment varies from one person to the next. Some of the attached may just love the way the car looks from a visual standpoint, and others may be fully attached to every aspect about the car.

I for one, have been fully attached with the 3rd generation since my first glimpse of the car on TV, which was seen in an Acura commercial back in late 2003. Still to this day, i'm entirely attached to this automobile.

The summer of 2008 has been full of suspense and emotions with the release of the all new Acura TL at our fingertips. Pictures began to surface, and reactions were posted. Approximately 80-90% of the reactions were negative when directed towards the visual appeal of the new model. As the new model begins to hit the showroom floors across the nation in the coming weeks, we will begin to view the new model in person. Individuals initial reactions concerning the visual appeal may begin to fluctuate, and many may begin to take a liking towards to new model.

Comparing the AAT with other make and model transitions:

This phenomenon can be found with various makes and models. Some of the model transitions are listed below:

-First generation Lexus IS300 to second generation IS250 and IS350

-BMW E36 to E46

-Nissan Skyline R34 to R35

-First generation Acura TSX to second generation

In these particular vehicle models, I personally have gone through the phases of attachment. Each of the second generation models had to grow on me, and through time i've come to accept them.

Feel free to express your views about this theory, and even share your own particular vehicle models that you have been attached to.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could agree with you on this. I am still attached to 2nd Gen TL Type S but couldn't find any brand new one. So I purchase the 3rd Gen TL. The 4th Gen is growing on me and I may purchase the AWD when the manual comes out.
Good post Accuratein
Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL A-Spec
I could agree with you on this. I am still attached to 2nd Gen TL Type S but couldn't find any brand new one. So I purchase the 3rd Gen TL. The 4th Gen is growing on me and I may purchase the AWD when the manual comes out.
Good post Accuratein
I'm glad you agree to a certain extent on the theory! I just got back from the dealership and the parts dept. guy gave me a 2009 product guide. I'm about to post pictures here..
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
tehLEGOman

Conceptualizing the AAT.

Third Generation Acura TL.

Fourth Generation Acura TL.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
We all have to be a 3 feet tall kid in order to see what we saw on the middle picture (09 TL front view).
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Where did you get these photos?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Thank you, ACCURATEin
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Nighthawk Black Pearl

Originally Posted by Colin
It's posted in his second post.

I'm glad you agree to a certain extent on the theory! I just got back from the dealership and the parts dept. guy gave me a 2009 product guide. I'm about to post pictures here..

@ Colin
Side note you originally from Hawaii? Where abouts? Me from Oahu. Nanakuli to be exact.

@ACCURATEin
Good post.

Last edited by Manapuaman; 09-16-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
We all have to be a 3 feet tall kid in order to see what we saw on the middle picture (09 TL front view).
Interesting.

Originally Posted by Colin
I took these photos myself from the brochures I have on my desk. I obtained the 2009 product guide from my buddy at the Acura dealership.

Originally Posted by 2veloce
Thank you, ACCURATEin
You're welcome! I haven't seen an image of the 2009 TL with the optional accessories on the internet, so i figured I would post the pics. Hopefully it's not a repost.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Manapuaman
It's posted in his first post.

@ Colin
Side note you originally from Hawaii? Where abouts? Me from Oahu. Nanakuli to be exact.

@ACCURATEin
Good post.

Aloha! My grandmother lives in Makaha, and i've got an uncle in Waianae. And other relatives scattered around Oahu.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Wow, its looks hot with that kit, especially the rear. Not sure about the wheels.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
The 4g is looking better with that lip kit... especially the rear--it doesn't look so fat anymore.
Still needs a new grill though
Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
ACCURATEin,

Great writing ! I, for one, know what is involved with writing something like what you did....it takes a lot of effort and time. Your time and effort is easily seen in the quality of your writing and content.

This is a side of you that I had not seen before. I like it ! Thanks for the excellent material ACCURATEin.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
Wow, its looks hot with that kit, especially the rear. Not sure about the wheels.
I concur...the add on front and rear spats make for an awesome look.

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
The 4g is looking better with that lip kit... especially the rear--it doesn't look so fat anymore.
Still needs a new grill though
The rear is going to look menacing in person, i can already see it!

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
ACCURATEin,

Great writing ! I, for one, know what is involved with writing something like what you did....it takes a lot of effort and time. Your time and effort is easily seen in the quality of your writing and content.

This is a side of you that I had not seen before. I like it ! Thanks for the excellent material ACCURATEin.
Thank you Sir! I've seen your detailed posts and I can only imagine how long it must take you to compose the message. So hats off to you as well.

It certainly took a while to transfer my thoughts in my head into the keyboard. I started to get frustrated near the end, so i decided to cut it short. From time to time you will see my dialect alternate, i'm weird like that haha.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:41 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A-spec kit changes it dramatically. Well the aspec did change the 3g tl also. It is really starting to grow on me!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice ACCURATEin,

I wish I could write as good as yours. I really enjoyed your theories. Thanks

BTW, I love them photos, especially the wheels.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Your theory model is inconsistent and not precise unfortunately.

Here is an example: If you were to eat an apple, but found that it is rotten, has worms in it, and bruised all over, would you first be attached to apples so much that you criticize it, be in denial, then finally accept it and eat it? No you wouldn't.
Its simple to see that the apple has specific, detailed flaws, errors. So one would make judgement, and decide that it is no good to eat, period.

Its pretty easy to see that its not stages some go through, but rather after visual analytical assessment from 09 TL pictures, people have specific reasons why they criticized the exterior design of the 09 TL.

I think you over complicated this issue, when simply put, there are specific design executions that in many peoples opinions are flawed.

Last edited by xenonhid; 09-17-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ To sum it up, you mistakenly tried to apply relationship stages to consumer goods market predictions which doesn't apply.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Intermediate

damn its grown on me i love the 4g tl now !!!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
rear skirt
front lip
side skirts
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Your theory model is inconsistent and not precise unfortunately.

Here is an example: If you were to eat an apple, but found that it is rotten, has worms in it, and bruised all over, would you first be attached to apples so much that you criticize it, be in denial, then finally accept it and eat it? No you wouldn't.
Its simple to see that the apple has specific, detailed flaws, errors. So one would make judgement, and decide that it is no good to eat, period.

Its pretty easy to see that its not stages some go through, but rather after visual analytical assessment from 09 TL pictures, people have specific reasons why they criticized the exterior design of the 09 TL.

I think you over complicated this issue, when simply put, there are specific design executions that in many peoples opinions are flawed.
The problem with theory is that it suffers from its namesake.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hey satoauto.com (fellow aziner) posted the full brochure on his website
Old 09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
T-Swzy

the 2nd photo he posted was at a sharp angle, with a silver car in a toned down black and white photo. all to reduce the eye blinding monstrosity that is the front grill. the freaking public relations guys knows the design department just rammed a nice rod up their ass. i own a 2nd gen so dont even talk to me about attachment. i love the 3rd with a passion. i love the new evo when everyone hated it.

you can put whatever spin you want on it, doesnt change the fact that it looks like a steaming heap of shit and doesnt appeal to anyone of any age. the only crowd this car MIGHT be able to sell to are the legally blind. which actually might be viable as all the fucking chrome on it will blind everyone within a 30 mile radius anyway
Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
A-spec kit changes it dramatically. Well the aspec did change the 3g tl also. It is really starting to grow on me!
Nothing personal towards Blazing GT, but why does everyone refer to the body kit and the 18" wheels on the 3G TL and now the 4G TL as the "a-spec body kit" and the "a-spec wheels"? The only true a-spec parts are the a-spec suspension parts. If you don't have that, then you don't have anything that is a-spec. If that's all you have, you do. All the other stuff is just eye candy, whereas the suspension actually improves performance and is the only thing that comes with an a-spec badge. Can't we please call things what they are? There are no "a-spec wheels", etc. Only the a-spec suspension.

/rant

Flame away if you must, won't change my mind :tonguefaw
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

A-spec is Aerodynamic... The kit actually improves driving abilities(the drag is reduced) I think this could(without a governor) increase top speed by 5-10 MPH.

As far as wheels, I havn't done much research, but the design of the A-Spec rims could serve a purpose. Ever seen Hybrid rims? It's built that way for a reason, gas saving!!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM
tehLEGOman

So how is everyone feeling about the new TL now that they've been delivered to the lots and now that some of the grilles have been color matched??!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Racer

Interesting theory

Reading your summary seems to imply that attachment to the 3d generation model, or for that matter any model, under the reality check phase of a person's thought process would still result in individuals remaining in a state of "denial" and remain attached to their original vehicle for a period of time - unjustifiably I assume. This seems to imply that every new generation is better looking than the old one. Poppycock. Here's one for you.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Did you lift most of that from one of your psych papers?

Just messing with you. Interesting read. About half way through, I knew where you fell. I wonder, though, what do you have to say about people who don't fit into that analysis?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I agree with your theory, but somewhere in there, there is a little bit of doubt that kicks in to those attached to their current model. I have that now with my CL and I had that same feeling with the CL when the 3G TL came out. I searched for reasons to stick with the CL when I was looking for a new car. But now I feel like my 03 CL has reached that point where it is attractive, but not enough to grab attention liek the newer models. I hope this new TL AWD with the 6 Speed convinces me its time to move on.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
skaiiz tha limit

That is such an interesting theory! Funny because the other day I made a post about how people criticize the 4th Gen but eventually they will grow to like it. So I 100% agree with that theory. Great minds think alike!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same thing happened with the Bangle-designed BMW cars. When I bought a '05 545i a few years, I was viciously slammed by Bimmerphiles everywhere.....as time went on, even the harshest critics eventually got themselves the new 5 series. It happens.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Same thing happened with the Bangle-designed BMW cars. When I bought a '05 545i a few years, I was viciously slammed by Bimmerphiles everywhere.....as time went on, even the harshest critics eventually got themselves the new 5 series. It happens.
I never hated the Bangle BMWs, but I agree with your general point. Once a few more drivers get used to the TL, it will start looking pretty good.

I wonder would have happened if Acura has simply produced an evolutionary design? I'll bet we'd see thread after thread about how boring Acura design is.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darth62
I never hated the Bangle BMWs, but I agree with your general point. Once a few more drivers get used to the TL, it will start looking pretty good.

I wonder would have happened if Acura has simply produced an evolutionary design? I'll bet we'd see thread after thread about how boring Acura design is.

True......with carmakers these days, you can't win.....bring out a conservatively-designed car, people say it's old and boring.....bring out a bold, new design, people say it's too much. It's really difficult these days to guage what people want.....things go in and out of favor so fast, it's ridiculous. Whatever you think of the 4G, you will NOT mistake it for any other car out there......Acura made sure of that.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
tehLEGOman

So my plan was to wait and see the new TL in person before i went to the Acura dealer to check it out. Yesterday was my first siting of one,...it was in the parking lot at the gym. Grigio metallic with the factory 17s. Not extremely impressive.

BUT TODAY....I went to the dealership, and they had the silver one with the factory kit and optional 19s in the showroom. LOOKS AWESOME! The rear of the car looks menacing.

It was funny, i walked in there and saw an old friend from 7 or 8 years ago that is now a salesman at Hendrick Acura. He showed me the car and talked about the features, which are impressive. He said the car has a mean look to it when you're in front of one on the road.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm really sorry to say this, but the 4G TL looks soooo hideous. Maybe its just seeing it in photos does not do it justice, but the ass end looks like they took a 3G TL front bumper and used it as a trunk..
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ljmushock
I'm really sorry to say this, but the 4G TL looks soooo hideous. Maybe its just seeing it in photos does not do it justice, but the ass end looks like they took a 3G TL front bumper and used it as a trunk..

You really do have to see this car in person. I still don't love it, up close. But, I remember thinking that my TSX was kind of bland looking when I first saw it. Now, I just love the way it looks. I think this kind of radical styling will grow on consumers.

My issue with the looks is not really the cheese-grater front grin. The TL just kind of looks "big" to me - like the huge FWD cars that GM used to produce.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I saw the 4G up close in person and from multiple angles.... and the rear actually looks WORSE than it does in pictures. The front is better - but still terrible. I still think the 3G looks way better exterior-wise, though the interior in the 4G is gorgeous

As for other cars - I instantly thought the E46 was better than the E36, and same for the E9x compared to the E46. I still like the R34 more than the new GT-R by miles. And the 2G TSX grew on me pretty quickly, even though I'd only seen it in pictures until recently. A good theory, very well written - but like most of them, they aren't all-encompassing.... there's always exceptions.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 AM
tehLEGOman

I can officially say that i am infatuated with the new TL. After visiting the Charlotte auto show, and sitting inside the cabin of the 09 TL and messing around with the navigation system, I am in love.

And by infatuated, i mean it caused me to behave foolish. I told myself I was going to sit inside the car until someone got mad at me. Sure enough, a lady was standing there and said..."are you going to get out of the car"? hehe I got out.

I also heard another person get out of the car and say..."this is the first car that i wanted to get out of and clap".

Another comment was..."this is the nicest one"!...and it's only 40,000!"

Acura should seriously consider offering one of these bad boys in a vibrant, solid red. It only makes since because they are marketing the car as the most powerful acura ever.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I was highly impressed with it Saturday, as well. My friend, who's in the market for a upscale sedan, said it was without a doubt the best car in it's class and for the price. The silver one with the body kit and OEM 19's was awesome.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Razzi
the 2nd photo he posted was at a sharp angle, with a silver car in a toned down black and white photo. all to reduce the eye blinding monstrosity that is the front grill. the freaking public relations guys knows the design department just rammed a nice rod up their ass. i own a 2nd gen so dont even talk to me about attachment. i love the 3rd with a passion. i love the new evo when everyone hated it.

you can put whatever spin you want on it, doesnt change the fact that it looks like a steaming heap of shit and doesnt appeal to anyone of any age. the only crowd this car MIGHT be able to sell to are the legally blind. which actually might be viable as all the fucking chrome on it will blind everyone within a 30 mile radius anyway
BEST. POST. EVER!

having said that. most models that come out look bad when compared better as time goes...same body style. compare a '92 3 series to a '97 3 series...or the '02 7series to '05 7series...even acura integras compare a '94 to '99...bigger wheels, new headlights...whatever...

i think manufacturers make little refinements to it so that outgoing years can still sell as the design wears out. acura just decided to start really low on the expectation scale this time.

let's just hope honda doesn't kill their cash cow so they can open their coffers to develop a real enthusiast car. RWD, 2 doors, 6 speed manual to fight against the 3series/G35 coupe...then i'll get bakc in line.

Quick Reply: ACCURATEin's Automobile Attachment Theory pertaining to the 2009 TL..