:..(

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
:..(

It is the end of the journey for me. I have had a cold engine knock from day 1 of my ownership(end of August) and have had Acura/Honda looking into it. They have acknowleded that this is not normal and have tried everything that they can(at least to me) to remedy this problem, from adjusting the valve guides to resetting the ECU but the problem still exists. Now, Acura/Honda has agreed to buy back my car instead of going to lemon law arbitration. Because of this I won't be buying another TL. Thanks for the great times(for a few months) I'll be still monitor this forum but will be out looking for a new ride. Just wanted to thank you guys for a great forum!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that !!
Can you please elaborate a bit - like what do you mean by cold engine knock - have you noticed other ppl companing about the same problem or yours was the isolated issue ?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
It is the end of the journey for me. I have had a cold engine knock from day 1 of my ownership(end of August) and have had Acura/Honda looking into it. They have acknowleded that this is not normal and have tried everything that they can(at least to me) to remedy this problem, from adjusting the valve guides to resetting the ECU but the problem still exists. Now, Acura/Honda has agreed to buy back my car instead of going to lemon law arbitration. Because of this I won't be buying another TL. Thanks for the great times(for a few months) I'll be still monitor this forum but will be out looking for a new ride. Just wanted to thank you guys for a great forum!
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a problem, but glad to hear that honda stepped up and is buying the car back. I wish you the best in finding another car, maybe a 535i?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear that too. I've got to think this is an isolated incident. Are you sure you won't consider another TL? Maybe remember what brought you to this car company to begin with and the absolutely cool technology this car possess!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

wow that sucks, sorry to see a 4G new owner go so soon.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Man, I'm sorry to hear that too. I've got to think this is an isolated incident. Are you sure you won't consider another TL? Maybe remember what brought you to this car company to begin with and the absolutely cool technology this car possess!
I'll definitely consider another TL, just not at this moment. I have a feeling I'll be back when the 5G comes out. At this moment I am leaning towards another A6 or I may go with the GS350.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
That sucks that you wasted all that money and time on the Royal Purple fluids just to give this car back!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
That sucks that you wasted all that money and time on the Royal Purple fluids just to give this car back!
Yeah I know huh. I knew I should have waited but the OCD in me just had to change them out.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Racer

Well I had three choices, one have Acura buy the car back and go in a different direction, two have acura drop a new engine in my car or three, pay $4000 more and get a new 2010 TL. I decided to go with number three and pay $4000 more and get another TL. The only catch on my part was that the 2010 TL had to be the same color combination(Mayan Bronze/Umber). They told me they allocated one in california and will be shipped to me within 3 weeks. I love this car too much to leave a bad taste in my mind. Hope all works out.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
Well I had three choices, one have Acura buy the car back and go in a different direction, two have acura drop a new engine in my car or three, pay $4000 more and get a new 2010 TL. I decided to go with number three and pay $4000 more and get another TL. The only catch on my part was that the 2010 TL had to be the same color combination(Mayan Bronze/Umber). They told me they allocated one in california and will be shipped to me within 3 weeks. I love this car too much to leave a bad taste in my mind. Hope all works out.
If you don't mind sharing, how much did Acura offer to buy the car back?

I hope it works out for you as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Are you happy with the way they dealt with the situation? Are you going to get a 6MT or an auto?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Please get stick...
That'll be the exact color/interior combo I want! I'm hoping many people buy this so I can buy it used from someone in 3 or 4 years when I can afford it! Ha ha...

Good luck, glad they gave you the options.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by docboy
If you don't mind sharing, how much did Acura offer to buy the car back?

I hope it works out for you as well.
The car had ~1300 miles when I reported this incidence, gave them numerous times to get a fix but they couldn't. I paid $38,500 for it and they were settling for $35,000 but I lose the tax title and fees. When I opted for $4000 for the 2010, I only pay tax on the $4000. I thought Acura was fair overall in this process. Never had to go this route. The best part is the fact that Acura has to pay my lawyer fees per the law.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
My beer fridge is in

congrats, and hope you have better luck with the new, new tl
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
Are you happy with the way they dealt with the situation? Are you going to get a 6MT or an auto?
I thought about getting the 6MT but it would have been a 3 month wait since there is not one available in the mainland U.S. plus it would have cost me $6000 and on top of that the loaner would be on my dime after 3 weeks.

Over all I can't complain about the process, my lawyer and them had some heated discussions mainly on the issue of what they thought was a "normal" behavior of the car and what is not. They were not taking responsibility until we provided credible evidence in form of "real" mechanics(their terms) that this was not a normal occurence in a car with 1444 miles(documented on my invoice).

When it came to arbitration and agreeing on a fair compensation, Acura was top notch and never low balled me. I have never had to deal with buyback or lemon law so I can't compare as to how a different mfg would have handled it. From what my lemon law lawyer told me, Acura is one of the best in regards to handling buy backs and lemon law proceedings and also the fact that Honda tends to have the least number of buy back or lemon law.

Overall, Acura/Honda took care of me well. The inconvenience factor was the worst part during this situation. They don't work "around" your schedule but you have to work around their schedule.

Life is short so I choose to look at the positive and can't wait to break-in another new car.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome that everything turned out well for you. Of course you can't buy back your lost time (at least Acura is not paying you for that) but in the end you have to move on with your life. Like you said, life is short so enjoy it!