6 Speed AWD TL 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 Speed AWD TL 2010

Finally the local dealer received a black on black 6 speed TL. Sticker price is $43k and some change. I am impressed with the interior, leather stitching, Iphone/Ipod integration. The dealer offered me $29K for my 08 TL-S 6 speed. As much as I have been waiting for this car, I didnt pull the trigger. I just can't get over the beak on this car. It has yet to grow on me. I am now liking the rear end but the beak is just too blah and outrageously ugly at the same time (it illicits feelings of bland/boredome with strong sense of distaste in synchrony. It is a tough act to reproduce) The clutch felt way too soft. It felt softer than my TL-S. The dealer offered to have me do a "home test" and bring it home for the weekend. I didn't feel comfortable putting on miles on a brand new car and to return it without purchase. (too much pressure). I am now thinking about the S4 Audi 2010 stick.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:49 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
'10 S4 =
Old 10-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Olu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the useful/informative post.

Good luck with your VAG purchase.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
$29k on the trade is amazing...
Old 10-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Advanced

If you dislike the '09 TL styling, you'll probably like the looks of the S4. For me, the S4/A4 is equally bland/distasteful per your thoughts on the TL. Plus, side-by-side, the S4/A4 looks like a toy (a very expensive one) in comparison.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
S4 all the way...
Old 10-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mlb11
If you dislike the '09 TL styling, you'll probably like the looks of the S4. For me, the S4/A4 is equally bland/distasteful per your thoughts on the TL. Plus, side-by-side, the S4/A4 looks like a toy (a very expensive one) in comparison.
+1

To get the comparable S4 with all the bells and whistles like the TL, you're going to spend 10k more. To me that seems like a huge jump in price for not much more...

Don't get me wrong, If I had the money for a 50K+ 335xi I would have pulled the trigger, but for now I need to live within my means...

Good luck on your search
Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Tough choice picking either the TL-6spd, A4, S4, 335xi...

I considered all of them, and then some. For me it all boiled to down overall cabin comfort and reliability. 335 just didn't have quite enough front head room and rear shoulder/hip room, and felt cramped in the rear; nice engine though. The A4/S4 was a very close second choice, but had an annoying hump in the passenger's side foot well, plus all of the seats lacked any thigh support; these were major turnoffs.

Probably the biggest gripe I had with Audi and BMW was that they just could not compete with Acura's reliability. If you search their forums, many of A4/S4/335 had problems when you driven them new off the lot. Do a little more search, and you'll notice some seriously pissed off customers with their $50k+ purchases needing to be serviced so often, often issues with their engine/fuel pumps/electrics (Though Audi's reliability seems to be on the upswing).

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice vehicles. If you have all the time and excess money to deal with their maintenance issues, they might be worth the trouble. But I want my spare time to be with my family and business instead.

Good luck on your choice!

Last edited by docboy; 10-18-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I am still kind of debating this same decision. The level of straight-line performance and more natural sport feel in the S4 is the only real advantage it has in my opinion.

Personally, I prefer the more toned down approach of the TL while having a larger, much more spacious and comfortable interior and being just as capable, only with exception to straight-line acceleration. It's pretty much like comparing the A6 with the 3.0T to the S4, you lose out in some aspects but gain in others, it's all about preference.

I just don't drive aggressively enough to place a $10k value on the extra performance and the three or four major features it has over the TL that you see in the S4. The Audi is probably just as safe and very close in reliability but still a little short in many opinions and being an S model it will likely hold it's value as well as the TL but I can't justify the extra cost and that it will cost the same to lease the S4 as it will to finance the TL and I know I can get a killer deal with Acura even if it ends up being only on my trade in.

The only other important factor in my situation is I actually like the style of both vehicles, maybe even favor the TL for how bold it is, regardless of any mixed feelings and it will be as rare as the S4 in the manual trim and possibly more. You can't not like and appreciate that once you get one.

Whatever the decision, depending on tastes and preferences, you really can't go wrong here.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My experience with my < 2 week old 4G TL is that I don't see either the beak or the butt when I'm driving it, so looks aren't that much of an issue. I couldn't justify the extra $'s for either the manual A5 - especially since they took the 3.2 w/MT out of it ... and the smaller and lesser powered 328xi couldn't give me the overall range per tankful I needed based on my current requirements. However ... I'd have to admit that I didn't even give the TL any consideration until I recalled there was a 6-speed in the latter 3G model year and I happened to see they were available for a '10.

For the OP ... don't forget to check with the Internet Manager and see if (s)he is offering anything under MSRP if your salesperson didn't. Mine was better than $2K off MSRP via this route.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docboy
Tough choice picking either the TL-6spd, A4, S4, 335xi...

I considered all of them, and then some. For me it all boiled to down overall cabin comfort and reliability. 335 just didn't have quite enough front head room and rear shoulder/hip room, and felt cramped in the rear; nice engine though. The A4/S4 was a very close second choice, but had an annoying hump in the passenger's side foot well, plus all of the seats lacked any thigh support; these were major turnoffs.

Probably the biggest gripe I had with Audi and BMW was that they just could not compete with Acura's reliability. If you search their forums, many of A4/S4/335 had problems when you driven them new off the lot. Do a little more search, and you'll notice some seriously pissed off customers with their $50k+ purchases needing to be serviced so often, often issues with their engine/fuel pumps/electrics (Though Audi's reliability seems to be on the upswing).

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice vehicles. If you have all the time and excess money to deal with their maintenance issues, they might be worth the trouble. But I want my spare time to be with my family and business instead.

Good luck on your choice!
+1 here as well....I owned a German brand about 5 years ago. Reliability is a big issue - it wasn't that it broke down, but in the 2 years I had the car it was recalled 3 times! Count this, plus the two trips I had to take it back after the recall because of ordering parts, and I wouldn't get another one unless I lived next door to the dealership.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I looked at some TLs today. I can't believe it but the beak is growing on me. It's big, but clean and simple. It fits the overall style of the car with it's oversized panels. I think the large gap under the grill detracts more.

Now the rear. I'm still having trouble with. but I think this bulbous design is the industry trend, so there you go. There are a lot of ugly cars out there, at least the TL backs it up with great tech, features, and reliability.
and when the ZDX's conceptual design comes out it will make the TL seem like a Toyota.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
The new RonJon grill would solve the nose/beak issue guys.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
The new RonJon grill would solve the nose/beak issue guys.
I am not a fan of the RonJon grill beak. The fitment has to be OEM-like for me to even consider it. Furthermore, even if the fit is purrfect, I just can't get too excited about the design... If RonJon can make the grill fit OEM-like without any gaps and have a graphite finish, I would consider it.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 AM
9th Gear

Hello all, first post here. I am the new owner of a 2010 6sp blk/blk. I've read a lot of post here and wanted to give my thoughts. As for styling, do I love it? No. Has it grown on me yes, but sometimes I see the grill and say, yes I like it and sometime I stare at it and say to myself, "what the heck was I thinking". Here is my brief story.

I initially set out to buy a sedan, which I needed one. I test drove the M3 sedan, the new 2010 S4 and the TL auto. The M3 was just rediculously awesome but not an everyday car for me. The S4 is VERY nice but when it's parked next to a regular A4 with the S-line package you can not tell the difference and if I'm going to spend $10-$15k more it had BETTER look different! I drove the TL auto and it was nice but I heard about the manual coming out and wanted to wait since I wanted an manual. I think it the manual is great. Ok, it's not a fast as the M3, clearly and not as quick as the S4 but what you get for the money, it is fantastic. The interior is very nice and the gear box is typical short shift Honda, much like the S2000.

Back to the grill. Yesterday I liked it and decided that I wanted to make a statement. Today I ordered the Ron Jon grill.