5 spd auto or 6 mt for new tl sh-awd

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by StuartMMVITL
That's a helluva deal! Something around $1700 under invoice!
The invoice on a non-HPT 6-6 SH-AWD is about 39.8. That is not the real dealer cost, however, because there's about $850 holdback.

So paying $39K, they didn't make much. On the other hand, they had the car since September and were probably beginning to run the risk of paying for the financing interest to Acura.

Plus, they immediately made money off of me because I added $1995 for a 125,000 mile warranty (also a good buy as far as this kind of thing goes), the front spoiler, wheel locks and splash guards.

So they made some money off of me, as a dealer organisation, but they certainly didn't make the money they would've made back in September when the 6-6 started being delivered.

The inclusion of the accessories as a part of the financed purchase price was a verbal agreement, and I was impressed that they followed through 100% with a diligence that was unexpected. Between the time I signed the paperwork and the time the accessories were installed a week later, they had the opportunity to run off with a little extra money, because this part of the deal was entirely undocumented.

If anybody's in the NoVA area and would be interested in a black 6-6 SH-AWD w/HPT at slightly below the invoice, it is at Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge. It was still there this past Friday when they were putting my spoiler on.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^

That's still a good deal. Invoice on mine was 40,676 (w/HPT) which I think is the same numbers you have, just with $810 destination/delivery charge included. I added splash guards, wheel locks, clear bra & set of the standard 18" Acura alloy wheels (for snow tires).

My dealer only had it on the lot for less than a month, so they didn't have to pay Acura any interest.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by StuartMMVITL
^

That's still a good deal. Invoice on mine was 40,676 (w/HPT) ....
That's the published invoice price, but it does not represent real dealer cost. The Honda holdback amount is not represented in the published invoice.

If you buy the car @ that price, the dealer is making the holdback, which is something like $840 - $850.

I think we'd all agree that this is a very good price.

I'm pretty sure they'd let that black car (6-6 SH-AWD, Tech, HPT) for $39.8. They'd certainly want to try to make money off accessories, protection packages, and extended warranty after that...but the ball's totally in your court @ that point and it'd be up to you how much you let them make.

Buying this car was painless...I'd almost say it was a pleasure. If this is how all Acura dealers are treating their customers these days, I don't think they're going to stay down for long.

I didn't buy the black car because (1)I'm not a big car washer and a black car would be a bad idea personally, and (2)we're on the verge of winter and the HPT don't work too well below 40 degrees.

The weekend after I got the car, sure enough, we had temps in the 30's. :-)

Last edited by George Knighton; 11-29-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
That's the published invoice price, but it does not represent real dealer cost. The Honda holdback amount is not represented in the published invoice.

If you buy the car @ that price, the dealer is making the holdback, which is something like $840 - $850.

I think we'd all agree that this is a very good price.

I'm pretty sure they'd let that black car (6-6 SH-AWD, Tech, HPT) for $39.8. They'd certainly want to try to make money off accessories, protection packages, and extended warranty after that...but the ball's totally in your court @ that point and it'd be up to you how much you let them make.

Buying this car was painless...I'd almost say it was a pleasure. If this is how all Acura dealers are treating their customers these days, I don't think they're going to stay down for long.

I didn't buy the black car because (1)I'm not a big car washer and a black car would be a bad idea personally, and (2)we're on the verge of winter and the HPT don't work too well below 40 degrees.

The weekend after I got the car, sure enough, we had temps in the 30's. :-)
The past 2 Acuras I've bought, from different dealers, was a fairly pleasant experience. Sure it took some negotiating, but I actually enjoy that part a bit

I hear you about the color, black can require a bit more diligence to keep clean, but I don't mind. It was also the only one available in the state w/HPT, which is what I wanted. I run two sets of wheels/tires, a set for summer only and a set for the winter/snow here in the mountains. That way I'm not compromising on the rubber compounds used and get the best performance I can in each season.

Of course, three days after I picked it up, we had 2 feet of snow & I hadn't gotten the new wheels & snows setup yet.