4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is the 4G TL a "men's car"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Let's start a competition to see who can post the sexiest comment!

Oh, sorry, you said "sexist".

Boring.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:02 AM
TL Neophyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Hmm, don't see what there is so sexist, if you don't think the manufactuer does far more research into how their designs appeal to the sexes or how they target a car or advertising accordingly I think you might be a little sheltered ;-)
I am sure there is plenty of research on the design and what appeals to males or females. I do think it is foolish to say what is a "man's car" or "I see more women drive a 3G TL". What kind of nonsense is that? Who gives a hoot who drives what? Does it matter? Are you insecure? Do you need reassurance that you are a man? (I am assuming you are a man, forgive me if I am wrong)

Kevin
Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear ya Kev, it is a lame statement. I'm just stating facts that I see more and more women driving 3G's, and I feel the 3G is becoming a family car, but there are man cars out there. When's the last time you saw a women beside Christie Brinkley in a movie driving a red Ferarri? Or a Bugatti Veyron? If you say Paula Abdul I'll punch you in the nose! LOL. Women don't go looking at cars for fun just to see a new model that came out, do they?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I seem to recall reading in Time magazine last year where it said that 55% of all drivers on the road these days are women. Also women now compromise at least 60% of all car buyers. I tend to agree with this since everytime I'm out on the road, I see much more female than male drivers. And it doesn't matter which vehicle is involved.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
I think Acura's marketing team answered the OP's question...
While the 2009 TL is designed to appeal to a broad range of upscale consumers, the target buyer for the TL is expected to be a professional male in his mid 40s with a household income of about $100,000 per year, while the expected TL SH-AWD® target buyer is a professional male in his early 40s with a household income of over $150,000 per year."
Sometimes companies blatantly go after a specific gender (Carl's Jr. heavily targets men, for example), but does that mean no ladies bite into a Famous Star? No.

The first thing the marketing team did was define their audience by breaking down demographics and profiling their customer. That specific customer averaged out to be a male in his 40s with a 100K/150K household income.

So by definition, yes, the 2009 TL is a man's car. However, that doesn't mean thousands of women won't purchase the car, it just means the median customer will be John Doe in his 40s.

And it's great to hear from the ladies on these boards, us "John Does" can often take ourselves too seriously
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,036 Likes on 2,511 Posts
I think all the TL's (1G-4G) are fairly neutral cars which appeal about equally to male or female drivers. Even the 4G design I've seen driven by it seems both around.

Amusing story how Chevrolet/GM was fairly clueless about their 3G Camaro/Firebird design (1982-1992). Someone at GM marketing did a demographics buyers survey sometime after it's introduction and discovered the majority of buyers were women (can't recall the number but I thought it was 55%). It seems when they were doing driver profiles during design and development, they focused mostly on men's requirements for color/options/features. Supposidly about the only womens' requirement taken into consideration during the desgin and development phase was the driver's seat/positioning/control reach of pedals and steering wheel.

None the less GM still sold millions of them.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to see one of the 40 something year old intelligent women on this forum to buy me a WDP / Ebony AWD Tech.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I think all the TL's (1G-4G) are fairly neutral cars which appeal about equally to male or female drivers. Even the 4G design I've seen driven by it seems both around.

Amusing story how Chevrolet/GM was fairly clueless about their 3G Camaro/Firebird design (1982-1992). Someone at GM marketing did a demographics buyers survey sometime after it's introduction and discovered the majority of buyers were women (can't recall the number but I thought it was 55%). It seems when they were doing driver profiles during design and development, they focused mostly on men's requirements for color/options/features. Supposidly about the only womens' requirement taken into consideration during the desgin and development phase was the driver's seat/positioning/control reach of pedals and steering wheel.

None the less GM still sold millions of them.
I was about to make this comment. Through the 80s, the Camaro and Firebird were sold as cars for men, but more women bought them. Also, Scion made the XB for young people, but found out mostly older (above 40)people were buying them. Men and Women will buy what appeals to them, and many times the car manufactures don't have a clue what will happen when the car goes on sale.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Cruisin'

I'd have to say that the 4G TL commercials I've seen on TV are targeted to men...

This is one of the reasons I bought the 4G TL instead of a Lexus IS... The IS is a very feminine car...
Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,036 Likes on 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Johns
I was about to make this comment. Through the 80s, the Camaro and Firebird were sold as cars for men, but more women bought them. Also, Scion made the XB for young people, but found out mostly older (above 40)people were buying them. Men and Women will buy what appeals to them, and many times the car manufactures don't have a clue what will happen when the car goes on sale.
Another interesting case is the Honda Element. Apparently alot were sold to older drivers who were involved with Antiquing and Craft business/hobbies.

Back in the 90's Honda was researching end users of mini-vans, a group of US Honda employees were video-taping a elementary school watching students being dropped off and picked up in front of the school. School officials called the police, who questioned the Honda personnel before letting them go.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
The only other 09 TL I have seen on the streets was driven by a woman
Same here, only people i see driving 09 TL are women. But then i only saw 1 on the road so far