4G TL Front Bumper Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
I just installed mine this past week. Ordered them from Bumperplugs.com and paid $34 for the pair. Acura wanted $46.90 each!!!! I did have to drill the holes out a little bigger but the little things popped right in after that and they look great.
How much bigger did you have to drill? After drilling, are you still able to go back to putting your plates on if needed?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
anyone have pics of their bumperplugs installed?

i'm thinking of ordering these and ditching my front plate...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
anyone have pics of their bumperplugs installed?

i'm thinking of ordering these and ditching my front plate...
I ordered a set because I needed to fill the holes in the bumper left from the dealer-installed license plate frame.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by AntSauce
How much bigger did you have to drill? After drilling, are you still able to go back to putting your plates on if needed?
Per the instructions included with the plugs, I had to use a 1/4" drill bit and make the holes a little bigger. It says that 9/32" is ideal, which I can attest to. I had to move the drill bit side to side just a little to get the proper fit. After I did that they fit right in. Took less than 5 minutes.

In NC, we aren't required to have front plates so I never gave putting them back on any consideration.

Also, mine look identical to those pictured above in post #43.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by HighvoltageBlonde
Ok, I'm a newbie, and a girl.. So please be gentle. I just bought new 2010 TL and I was really surprised the front bumpers came out of the factory with holes drilled in them. I think front plates are tacky. But my sales guy is sending me the plugs.. lesser of the two evils, I guess. Still, why wouldn't they give us the option to have a clean front bumper? The tow plug is already there...
Welcome aboard, you will find the classiest bunch of guys on the net here at Acurazine... I hope, lol.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need a set as well and my local dealer charging around $40 a piece wtfffffffffffffffff lol
Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vw to acura
I need a set as well and my local dealer charging around $40 a piece wtfffffffffffffffff lol
I paid 28.50 a piece
Old 09-24-2013, 06:07 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
Welcome aboard, you will find the classiest bunch of guys on the net here at Acurazine... I hope, lol.

Been lurking for a long time. Thank you for the welcome -
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by vw to acura
You need to get them from Bumperplugs.com. Much cheaper and fit perfectly. Look identical to factory plugs.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Cruisin'

Cost me $1.95 to buy plugs from Pep boys and $17.00 plus shipping for paint can from automotive touch-up paint. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/.

I did have to drill the hole bigger then tap the end of my plugs with krazy glue and done.
Now I have a spare paint can for my future touch-ups..dam those low front fenders.
2011 Acura TL SHAWD
Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Racer

I came across someone who has bags of "oem plugs". I paypal'd him $20 for a pair. As soon as I get them, I'll report back to let you all know if they were the real deal. Stay tuned...
Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 AM
Drifting

i ordered a set of front bumper plugs from bumperplugs.com... I was really excited to install them once they showed up today. When I opened the package - they were nicely packed and looked great.

I held them up to my paint and the color match looked great! $25 may seem expensive for two small plastic pieces...but they are nicely done!! To me, well worth the $25 I paid.

Once I got the plate bracket off, however, they seemed slightly too small. I'm wondering if this is how they are supposed to be?

Aren't the bumperplugs supposed to TOTALLY cover the hole? Mine will definitely not cover up the hole - they will instead somewhat sit inside the hole, and not totally fill it up.

The holes on my bumper also do not appear like I was expecting. I was thinking there would be a relatively small hole - the size of something you would expect if they driled it out have a screw go itno it. Instead, there is a small screw hole, but it is set inside of a much larger round / recessed cavity. It appears that Acura molded the 4G bumper to have a larger round hole and then the screw for the plate bracket goes into the center of the hole.

I attached several pics... you can see how the screw hole is inside the larger recessed cavity.

If I place the bumper plug into the hole...it will go down inside the cavity...I could not push them all the way in without driling out the OEM screw hole to a larger size..and I was afraid that if I did that, and tried to install them, the bumper plug might go in to far..and then it would be impossible to get out without destroying it. I think it would be possible to actually push these in way too far...

i had bumperplugs from this same company on my old Porsche Boxster..and those plugs totally covered up the hole.. those seemed more like "plugs" to me. they went into the hole, and the round flat top of the bumperplug covered up the hole and laid on top of the bumper... so that the original screw hole was entirely covered.

I looked at some images of bumper covers online and it seems like the 09-11 bumper is not the same as the 2012-2013 TL bumper cover.. for some reason the 09-11 cover has a larger round hole...

Bumperplugs.com doens't indiate that there are different sizes..so I'm wondering if for my particular year..I need to order the ones from Acura? they may be larger?

any suggestions?

thanks guys.

here are pics...

for this last pic..i was able to just barely push the plug into the screw hole enough so it would stay in place..but it was sticking out from the bumper.. so it was not flush..but protruding out.. i angled the camera to look straight on.. to get an idea what it might look like if I drileld out the hole and shoved them in. it's not horrible...but there is an obvious space all around the plug..and on a white car.. it will stand out a lot. it will look like two little black cirlces on my bumper... not a very nice fit if you ask me. i was expecign the bumper plug to totally cover over the hole.

are the Acura ones bigger than these?

Last edited by 23109VC; 10-09-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Drifting

I went searching online for the OEM plugs that would fit those big cutouts and found the follwoing part number..

71146-TK4-A00ZC

unfortunately, ONE plug costs $27.70... so I'd be spending OVER $50 for two little painted plugs!!

the 3G bumper has a similar part..

71146-SEP-A00ZD It is ONLY $7.52 each.

why such a huge price difference? they are so similar... while they look very close, they do appear different in the pics and have a slighly different part number. I don't know if they are a different size, or just mount/attach differently?

anyone use either of these?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Racer

Based on the pic example on the bumperplugs site, there shouldn't be any visible opening and plug should cover the entire hole. Based on those reviews above, everyone seemed to love them. Maybe they sent you the wrong plugs?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Drifting

I emailed them to find out what went wrong.

I'll update everyone once they get back to me.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 PM
5th Gear

Very interested to hear the outcome. I was just about to buy them as well.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 23109VC
i ordered a set of front bumper plugs from bumperplugs.com... I was really excited to install them once they showed up today. When I opened the package - they were nicely packed and looked great.

I held them up to my paint and the color match looked great! $25 may seem expensive for two small plastic pieces...but they are nicely done!! To me, well worth the $25 I paid.

Once I got the plate bracket off, however, they seemed slightly too small. I'm wondering if this is how they are supposed to be?

Aren't the bumperplugs supposed to TOTALLY cover the hole? Mine will definitely not cover up the hole - they will instead somewhat sit inside the hole, and not totally fill it up.

The holes on my bumper also do not appear like I was expecting. I was thinking there would be a relatively small hole - the size of something you would expect if they driled it out have a screw go itno it. Instead, there is a small screw hole, but it is set inside of a much larger round / recessed cavity. It appears that Acura molded the 4G bumper to have a larger round hole and then the screw for the plate bracket goes into the center of the hole.

I attached several pics... you can see how the screw hole is inside the larger recessed cavity.

If I place the bumper plug into the hole...it will go down inside the cavity...I could not push them all the way in without driling out the OEM screw hole to a larger size..and I was afraid that if I did that, and tried to install them, the bumper plug might go in to far..and then it would be impossible to get out without destroying it. I think it would be possible to actually push these in way too far...

i had bumperplugs from this same company on my old Porsche Boxster..and those plugs totally covered up the hole.. those seemed more like "plugs" to me. they went into the hole, and the round flat top of the bumperplug covered up the hole and laid on top of the bumper... so that the original screw hole was entirely covered.

I looked at some images of bumper covers online and it seems like the 09-11 bumper is not the same as the 2012-2013 TL bumper cover.. for some reason the 09-11 cover has a larger round hole...

Bumperplugs.com doens't indiate that there are different sizes..so I'm wondering if for my particular year..I need to order the ones from Acura? they may be larger?

any suggestions?

thanks guys.

here are pics...

for this last pic..i was able to just barely push the plug into the screw hole enough so it would stay in place..but it was sticking out from the bumper.. so it was not flush..but protruding out.. i angled the camera to look straight on.. to get an idea what it might look like if I drileld out the hole and shoved them in. it's not horrible...but there is an obvious space all around the plug..and on a white car.. it will stand out a lot. it will look like two little black cirlces on my bumper... not a very nice fit if you ask me. i was expecign the bumper plug to totally cover over the hole.

are the Acura ones bigger than these?

I had this SAME exact problem! I ordered the $25 set for my 09 TL (there weren't any size options), got them today and they're too small to completely fill the holes. I'm sure I'd be the only one that would ever notice, but it'd drive me crazy! Please let me know what you find out from that site
Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Racer

I know someone that sells 09-11 oem plugs for $25. You can PM me for info.
The following users liked this post:
BlueAquarian (05-31-2014)
Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Well, called my dealer. They showed up on the diagrams but not with a part number for some reason.

Transferred to service and they just trash them
Old 11-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Drifting

FYI - threat revival...

I searched around and found these plugs for sale on a HONDA site...exact same part number that the Acura sites had, except they sold them for $4 each! i paid $8 plus $10 shipping... so $20 total. not bad. once they show up i'll put them in and finally get rid of my ugly front plate... in CA it is a fix it ticket only if you lack a front plate...
Old 11-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I think there's a lot of confusion in this thread.

The 09-11 TL has removable plugs in the front bumper from the factory that actually pop in and out. As some have noted, it seems the dealerships just remove and throw away these plugs and install the front license plate bracket when they take delivery of the vehicles. The best way to go about replacing the 09-11 plugs is to get them from the dealer as they are the OEM plugs that match the paint, completely fill the holes and snap into the bumper properly. They also sit flush with the bumper.

The 12-14 does not have these plugs built into the bumper. The bumper comes out of the factory with no holes and no removable plugs. The dealers take these cars and actually drill holes through the bumper to mount the front plate brackets. As far as I've seen, there are no factory OEM plugs to cover these holes left in the front bumper by the dealerships. This is where the aftermarket plugs from bumperplugs.com should be used. These plugs basically anchor into the bumper and have a head on them that covers the drilled holes. They do not sit flush with the bumper and actually leave two little bumps.

While you 09-11 guys may be complaining about the higher cost of the OEM plugs, I would gladly pay the extra money to have the OEM plugs that sit flush with the rest of the bumper than the aftermarket plugs that basically sit on top of the surface and leave two bumps on the bumper.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Drifting

Bdogg - you are right. the older 4Gs have holes molded into the bumper... you can fill them with a flush mouthing clip...but you have to buy it. my dealer wanted an outrageous amount of money for them... then I found this one at the honda dealer.. funny how when it's at acura it's $40, but when it's at honda it's $3.

they should show up this week. I"ll take pics and upload the link to where I got them in case anyone else is interested.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Drifting

well... so much for my plan to get the part via a honda site at a great deal...

my $4 honda part is no longer available. the honda site i emailed from sent me an email saying they cancelled my order as the part it "backordered with no ETA"... I bet they just realized they mispriced it and would lose money on the deal....

i'll have to buy it from acura.. i'll order it tomorrow from my dealer.