4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is the 2012 TL SH-AWD Auto REALLY that much slower than the manual ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Is the 2012 TL SH-AWD Auto REALLY that much slower than the manual ?

Just wondering. I was considering this vehicle. I'm a manual guy, but there just doesn't seem to be any manual available how I want them. If the auto is ALMOST as fast I could tolerate it.
I remember reading awhile back the auto is a full second slower than the manual. This is important to me. So wondering if that changed with the MMC...or not.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Yes the manual is a low to mid 5 second 0-60 car while the auto is a low to mid 6 second 0-60 car. The Sh-awd auto is actually slower to 60 than the fwd. I don't think you should put so much weight on 0-60 times with a car this size though. I can tell you as an auto TL owner that the car has plenty of pickup regardless of what the magazines say.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
From Car & Driver
"we hooked our test gear to the AWD-equipped automatic. Although not as fast as the row-your-own, which took only 5.2 seconds to hit 60 mph, the new auto did the dash in 6.2 seconds and needed 14.7 seconds to clear the quarter-mile at 98 mph. Compared with the five-speed auto, those are improvements of 0.3 second to 60 mph and 0.4 second and 3 mph in the quarter."

Full article: Acura TL Reviews - Acura TL Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

Most who have the manual seem to do so to feel more engaged with the driving experience, any gained performance is just a bonus.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:39 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
If you read down a bit, it also mentions that the 6MT they tested used high performance tires:

Without the high-performance Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 rubber fitted to our previous test car, we saw a significant drop in skidpad grip and, more important, braking distance. The 2012 TL SH-AWD, with its standard Goodyear Eagle RS-As, only managed 0.86 g on the skidpad and needed 178 feet to stop from 70 mph compared with 0.92 g and an impressive 158 feet on the optional rubber. That’s an easy refresher about the importance of what’s between you and the road.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
i'd pick based on whether or not you want to stick with MT. The owners here seem to love it.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Drifting

yep, I do think the manual is for me, but its the same as when I was trying to find my 2008 TL-S with manual. Hard as hell to find exactly how you want it. I think it took me a solid year to find my TL-S.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
That's the tough part about buying used, you have to either settle for what's available or search like you did on the TypeS. If you have the time and are on no rush, I would hold out.

What are you looking for anyways besides the 6 speed MT?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Coming from a 08 TL-S 5AT to a 13 TL 6MT I have to tell you it's so much fun to drive with the 6MT + AWD. Honestly the only way to go is 6MT with this car, you're a manual driver so I don't need to tell you how much more fun driving a manual is versus an auto, but add in the AWD it just makes the experience even better. I enjoy driving again.. except in traffic, traffic sucks balls.
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brock79
What are you looking for anyways besides the 6 speed MT?
are you asking what else I am looking for in the car ? or what other cars I am looking at ?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverJ
are you asking what else I am looking for in the car ? or what other cars I am looking at ?
The combo you're looking for in the 6 speed TL. Like exterior color, interior color, tech package or no tech package. Things like that.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Drifting

ohhhh i gotcha.
Silver ext---black interior. with tech, and manual.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by VanyDotK
Coming from a 08 TL-S 5AT to a 13 TL 6MT I have to tell you it's so much fun to drive with the 6MT + AWD. Honestly the only way to go is 6MT with this car, you're a manual driver so I don't need to tell you how much more fun driving a manual is versus an auto, but add in the AWD it just makes the experience even better. I enjoy driving again.. except in traffic, traffic sucks balls.
Agree fully. I would not buy this car in AT. I specifically looked for the TL in 6MT (didn't care what year, as long as 4th gen and manual).

No options for trim, as only 6MT only comes in the tech package. Colour is all you can choose from. I was lucky enough to find white (my top choice, 2nd being black). I have to say though, it took me about 10 months to finally find a 4th gen 6MT with low enough km's and in good shape. Takes some serious patience and dedication! but sooooo worth it in the end. Just picture yourself on a 2 lane on ramp approaching another vehicle... then dropping to 2nd gear and blasting past him as you round the turn and merge onto the highway. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
The choice of manual vs auto really comes down to your usage and traffic. In my situation, my TL is my daily commute car, and I gather that only about 0.5% of the time is spent actually enjoying how it drives. The other 99.5% is spent swearing and stuck in traffic. At every fill up, I average about 22mph (speed, not fuel economy) per tank!

Now, if you live in an area with open uncongested roads, you may actually have a chance to enjoy the manual transmission. You need to ask yourself... Is the TL going to be your dream car (6MT), or more of a tool (6AT)?

In either case, a 6.5 second auto AWD sedan can hardly be called "slow," although it is slower than the 6MT counterpart, and partially because of how the car is launched during 0-60 testing.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I had to jump through several hoops to get my 6MT, including buying it sight unseen and having it shipped over 2k miles (split cost with dealer). I would absolutely do it again and would recommend you hold out if you can. I was dead set on a manual and planned to do whatever was necessary to land one (that I could afford). I'm very glad I did!!!

Not sure how long you tend to keep your vehicles, but what's a month or two of searching (and possibly traveling to see/buy) when it will lead to several years of enjoyment?!?! IMO there is no comparison between the AT and MT in the TL.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
I had to jump through several hoops to get my 6MT, including buying it sight unseen and having it shipped over 2k miles (split cost with dealer). I would absolutely do it again and would recommend you hold out if you can. I was dead set on a manual and planned to do whatever was necessary to land one (that I could afford). I'm very glad I did!!!

Not sure how long you tend to keep your vehicles, but what's a month or two of searching (and possibly traveling to see/buy) when it will lead to several years of enjoyment?!?! IMO there is no comparison between the AT and MT in the TL.
you got it. well worth it for all the effort, patience and extra $$. For automatic I would choose one of several other vehicles.

Originally Posted by hddnav
The choice of manual vs auto really comes down to your usage and traffic. In my situation, my TL is my daily commute car, and I gather that only about 0.5% of the time is spent actually enjoying how it drives. The other 99.5% is spent swearing and stuck in traffic. At every fill up, I average about 22mph (speed, not fuel economy) per tank!

Now, if you live in an area with open uncongested roads, you may actually have a chance to enjoy the manual transmission. You need to ask yourself... Is the TL going to be your dream car (6MT), or more of a tool (6AT)?
Disagree. My 6MT IS my daily driver. (I'd have something smaller and sportier for a weekend pleasure car). I drive through heavy traffic multiple times a week (downtown Toronto, rated among the worst cities for driving in the world). Can't say that I'm even SLIGHTLY bothered by having MT. Those who love MT, love MT - everything about it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Racer

In either case, a 6.5 second auto AWD sedan can hardly be called "slow," although it is slower than the 6MT counterpart, and partially because of how the car is launched during 0-60 testing.
with halfway decent tires, the 6AT is in the high 5s. The main reason for it feeling lethargic is due to the shawd programming probably designed to protect the transmission and awd system. In gear, this is only JUST behind the G37AT. Something that bothered me is that with the 6MT you can actually chirp the tires...not something you can do with the AT no matter how hard you mash the go pedal...i really do think its limited in software intentionally which is a shame.

My average speed is 25 so only slightly better than you traffic wise.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Drifting

I am all in on a manual believe me. If you look at my sig you can see I have a 08 TL-S manual right now. I could care less about traffic, but I said to myself I would consider a auto if it were equally as fast as the manual (like so many other cars are). I do want a 2012 and newer. So I will just wait for some to come off lease.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

No clue where you are in PA, and I know you want silver, but I did see a black 2012 manual at Bridgewater Acura in NJ. Only the second one i have seen in person, the other one was Mayan Bronze with Umber interior but was a 2010 or 11.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Part of me would've loved to have this car in a 6MT. Having come from an 03 CLS 6MT which I really enjoyed driving I thought about it. However, this car is a daily driver and one I take on trips to the city and such in. Many times in the CLS I had gotten stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and a 6MT in that situation really sucks. The other thing that pushed me to the AT was that my other car is a Porsche Boxster S 6MT. When I really want to get out there and row the gears, I do it in a car that I can REALLY have fun in. Save my TL for the nice commutes and relaxing drives.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm on the other side of the coin, I kind of don't see the point of this car being a manual. I'm sure it feels much quicker but it's such a massive car, I feel like it's almost pointless to bother with a manual. If I want a manual I want something with some serious go that's more of a sports car, not a TL, the car that won accolades as the "best car for families".
Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
i'm on the other side of the coin, i kind of don't see the point of this car being a manual. I'm sure it feels much quicker but it's such a massive car, i feel like it's almost pointless to bother with a manual. If i want a manual i want something with some serious go that's more of a sports car, not a tl, the car that won accolades as the "best car for families".
+1
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Racer

I'm on the other side of the coin, I kind of don't see the point of this car being a manual. I'm sure it feels much quicker but it's such a massive car, I feel like it's almost pointless to bother with a manual. If I want a manual I want something with some serious go that's more of a sports car, not a TL, the car that won accolades as the "best car for families".
I couldn't agree more. Not to put down our cars, but isn't having a MT on a TL sort of like insisting on having a MT on a minivan?

If the TL were a plane, it would be a medium range bomber, not a jet fighter.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
I get what you're saying. For me the 6MT almost "shrinks" the feel of the car when I'm driving it. The combo of the MT and the AWD is sublime. But that's why Acura (used to) sell both ATs and MTs.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
going to check out a 2010 6MT this weekend. last weekend i drove an AT SHAWD, and i've only heard great things about how the MT wakes the car up.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i guess i'll also add, the manual transmission is really what put this car on the map for me.

i've been looking for a daily driver that has a fun element but also serves as a bigger more comfortable cruiser that the wife and i can take out on the weekends. the rarity factor of the 6MT makes it more enticing than typical.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Not to put down our cars, but isn't having a MT on a TL sort of like insisting on having a MT on a minivan?

If the TL were a plane, it would be a medium range bomber, not a jet fighter.
For me it's the driving experience and having control over the car. Driving an auto feels like a toy car. It's all about preference, I suppose. I don't see myself going back to an automatic for my next car.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I bought mine new and had to have the car transferred from another dealer. I think the only choices for manual were white, silver and black. Looking back I should have went with white, but my last car was white and I wanted a change. Anyway, I only considered this car because it was available in manual. I can't stand anything that has a torque converter. Sure, you get some say about what gear you're in with teh flappy paddles, but ultimately there is no true control like having a manual. Plus all the nannies that make the car upshift, or not downshift a few gears in a quickly fashion. Either way, I'd hold out for what you really want. Otherwise you'll just regret it.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Racer

I think the key point here is to get the model you feel strongly about. The answer to the transmission question is purely personal preference, and there's no reason why you should adopt someone else's preferences (unless that person is your wife).

There is no wrong choice here.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I love my TL SH-AWD 6MT.

Dunno if OP is still searching I came across this looking for something else in local CL to me. Not sure of its validity but worth a look since the 6MT is hard pressed to come by.

2010 Acura TL-3.7L sh-awd (manual)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I can tell you as an auto TL owner that the car has plenty of pickup regardless of what the magazines say.

I Agree.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brock79
No clue where you are in PA, and I know you want silver, but I did see a black 2012 manual at Bridgewater Acura in NJ. Only the second one i have seen in person, the other one was Mayan Bronze with Umber interior but was a 2010 or 11.
Yep saw that one. I am not a fan of those guys though. When I was looking for an MDX a few months ago they dont budge on their ridiculous advertised prices (which are higher than almost everyone else) and want to give you low ball offers for your trade in.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Ah, this subject has come up before. The '12 and up TL with 6 speed auto are considerably quicker than the 5 speed, but the manual still has the edge. However, in daily driving the difference is marginal. Buy manual if you like to row your own, but there's nothing wrong with the auto. A brand new car tested by magazines has a transmission that hasn't learned anything yet. My '12 drives completely different now than it did when I drove it home back in Oct. '11. There's also Sport mode, which holds gears longer and gives you more control. Regardless of several posters on this site that have expressed distaste for the paddle shifters its a skill like anything else and you'll get out what you put in.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Ah, this subject has come up before. The '12 and up TL with 6 speed auto are considerably quicker than the 5 speed, but the manual still has the edge. However, in daily driving the difference is marginal. Buy manual if you like to row your own, but there's nothing wrong with the auto. A brand new car tested by magazines has a transmission that hasn't learned anything yet. My '12 drives completely different now than it did when I drove it home back in Oct. '11. There's also Sport mode, which holds gears longer and gives you more control. Regardless of several posters on this site that have expressed distaste for the paddle shifters its a skill like anything else and you'll get out what you put in.
so your "skill" of flicking a plastic paddle makes the trans downshift quicker and skip multiple gears compared to someone who lacks skill of flicking a plastic paddle?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

The skill is in learning how the car shifts and adjusting how you *flick* the paddle accordingly - there is a delay using paddles and choosing the right rpm to shift is key - if you drive a manual I shouldn't have to explain this concept - but I see you were just looking for an opportunity to grow your E-peen and obviously you failed basic reading comprehension as I stated "its a skill* and not *I'm skilled and better than you*.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Racer

The skill is in learning how the car shifts and adjusting how you *flick* the paddle accordingly - there is a delay using paddles and choosing the right rpm to shift is key - if you drive a manual I shouldn't have to explain this concept - but I see you were just looking for an opportunity to grow your E-peen and obviously you failed basic reading comprehension as I stated "its a skill* and not *I'm skilled and better than you*.
not at all. I was just wondering how your "skill" can overcome the shortfalls of any torque converter based transmission. Examples, automatically up shifting from 1-2nd at high rpms. Not allowing you to drop from 5th gear at a lower speed to 3rd with two quick blips of the the paddle without significant delay.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Drifting

I dont think I've seen any solid numbers indicating the 6 speed auto trans is any faster than the 5 speed auto trans. Whats your source ? And does "marginal" mean .9 seconds or like .2 seconds ? Big difference IMO.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Ah, this subject has come up before. The '12 and up TL with 6 speed auto are considerably quicker than the 5 speed

Could you provide a link for this statement,thanks. I understand that Acura assumed with the lower gearing the 6 speed auto should provide a 0.4 advantage over the 5 speed.However as you correctly stated, in real terms driving that time is negligible, so your statement is somewhat contradictory.Many drivers will be hard pressed to replicate any of the posted times done by magazines.

The advantage that the 5 speed has over the 6 speed is its ability to hold 1st gear in manual mode while the latter will auto shift to 2nd around 5300 rpm.

Our cars seem to produce the best time by easing into the throttle and then full acceleration,flooring the car from a standstill produces a lag as the ECU seems somewhat confused.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Link is at top of thread - Acura TL Reviews - Acura TL Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

amill I'm not sure what we're debating - my point is that the paddles can be enjoyable and allow greater control over the transmission - they require a learning curve, just like a manual.

Just as I'm sure you've dealt with new manual drivers, the first time folks use the paddles they take an adjustment period. My point was very simple, the paddles are there to provide a different driving experience and allow a little more control - you appear to have made up the part about overcoming any shortfalls of the TC. I said nothing of the sort
Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I dont think I've seen any solid numbers indicating the 6 speed auto trans is any faster than the 5 speed auto trans. Whats your source ? And does "marginal" mean .9 seconds or like .2 seconds ? Big difference IMO.
Its .2 to .5 depending on whose numbers you believe. In daily driving it means you can get 30 hwy

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Could you provide a link for this statement,thanks. I understand that Acura assumed with the lower gearing the 6 speed auto should provide a 0.4 advantage over the 5 speed.However as you correctly stated, in real terms driving that time is negligible, so your statement is somewhat contradictory.Many drivers will be hard pressed to replicate any of the posted times done by magazines.

The advantage that the 5 speed has over the 6 speed is its ability to hold 1st gear in manual mode while the latter will auto shift to 2nd around 5300 rpm.

Our cars seem to produce the best time by easing into the throttle and then full acceleration,flooring the car from a standstill produces a lag as the ECU seems somewhat confused.
If anything this thread makes a good case for the mt to silver, you get to choose where and when to shift, remembering the same applies to stop and go traffic.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
My opinion: the OP's question was the wrong question. As many here have suggested, if you like manual, go with the manual. If you prefer AT, go AT. The one second really shouldn't factor into the choice. Shifting happens all the time, whereas 0-60 jumps really shouldn't, unless of course one likes to show off at every red light, in which case the real issue is the likelihood that the people you left behind at the light are probably laughing at you.

Also, the MT on the TL is a really nice MT. At least for me, the throw and clutch feel are pretty good.

Quick Reply: Is the 2012 TL SH-AWD Auto REALLY that much slower than the manual ?