2012 TL. Best features?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2012 TL. Best features?

I posted something similar on Reddit, and I found this and I'll have my go here as well

It's not for me, but a surprise car for my father. He's a new business man (2 properties, 200k income) yet drives an old Toyota 4Runner (Great car, just not his style). My mom decided to get him a new luxury car and I decided on the TL.

So it's a Graphite ext, Black Leather int 2012 TL with the Tech package. What are some cool things we should know about the car? I'm amazed by the sheer amount of buttons and the advance computer system! I only have it for a couple of days before I drive it down to him. Can't possibly find out everything cool and useful about the car in less than a week. My car has a voice command which lists just about every other voice command I can do. Does the TL have something similar to this?

Also, what's a good maintenance plan/schedule for him? I'm not talking about the 5k mile oilchange/checkups, I mean like, taking care of the car wise? What about extra things we should get to make it better? I'm getting full tints (state law allows it, so we're getting 35% all around). What else do you guys recommend? I have a 1500 dollar budget on top of the car price to "juice it up" or so my mom told me. (Forgive her, she's getting old)

Thanks guys. Our first "expensive" car, so I just want to protect it the best I can. (I've got a loaded 2011 Camry SE, but it's nothing compared to this)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
As for regular maintenance, the car will tell you when it need service. Watch the Oil Life message.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
As for regular maintenance, the car will tell you when it need service. Watch the Oil Life message.
Yeah, I saw the videos on the acura site, that's pretty cool too.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
First, hat's off to your dad for being successful in this awful economy. Second, hat's off to your mom and yourself for wanting to do something so nice for him as a new Acura TL. I'm sure he will find many years of enjoyment with it. So many features, so little time. The number one item on the car is the sound system. It's one outstanding unit. Be sure your dealer provides you the DVD-A demo disc. I had to go back and get mine. The sound will blow you away! The owner's materials that come with the car are something like War and Peace. There is no way you are going to read everything in one sitting. There is however a manual called Advanced Technology Guide (that's what it is called on my '11 TL). This manual sort of gives of a "nut shell" look at all the tech. It's not that many pages and you will learn a lot about how everything works that is tech related. Like the other posts states. Don't worry about maintenance, the car will tell you when it needs to be done. It's all based on how the car is driven. My first oil change was indicated at around 6500 miles. Most of my driving is done under 70 MPH. As far as upgrades, I'm sure a lot of people will chime in. One thing I wish my car had, are the splash guards. My last Acrua had them and well as my 06 Toyota Solara SLE convertible. I never knew how well they kept the side of the car clean. My current Acura has mud splashes down the side all the time. I wish you dad much success, and I hope he likes his new TL
The following users liked this post:
Blaze9 (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Linmk2
First, hat's off to your dad for being successful in this awful economy. Second, hat's off to your mom and yourself for wanting to do something so nice for him as a new Acura TL. I'm sure he will find many years of enjoyment with it. So many features, so little time. The number one item on the car is the sound system. It's one outstanding unit. Be sure your dealer provides you the DVD-A demo disc. I had to go back and get mine. The sound will blow you away! The owner's materials that come with the car are something like War and Peace. There is no way you are going to read everything in one sitting. There is however a manual called Advanced Technology Guide (that's what it is called on my '11 TL). This manual sort of gives of a "nut shell" look at all the tech. It's not that many pages and you will learn a lot about how everything works that is tech related. Like the other posts states. Don't worry about maintenance, the car will tell you when it needs to be done. It's all based on how the car is driven. My first oil change was indicated at around 6500 miles. Most of my driving is done under 70 MPH. As far as upgrades, I'm sure a lot of people will chime in. One thing I wish my car had, are the splash guards. My last Acrua had them and well as my 06 Toyota Solara SLE convertible. I never knew how well they kept the side of the car clean. My current Acura has mud splashes down the side all the time. I wish you dad much success, and I hope he likes his new TL
Thank you for the great reply. So far I've noticed the killer sound-system. It is quite brilliant. All the dealers I went to automatically charge the 490 for the Slash guard package, so I do have the slash guards, floor mats, trunk tray, and wheel locks.

I'm probably gonna put down about 350-400 for a good Radar Detector. He's mostly in the NC/SC range, so it's fine for him. He does go up to VA at times, so I need to be sure it's undetected to RDDs...