AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   2012 TL AWD Tech Or 2012 Nissan Maxima SV sport package and tech package (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/2012-tl-awd-tech-2012-nissan-maxima-sv-sport-package-tech-package-845428/)

amer 01-24-2012 09:40 PM

2012 TL AWD Tech Or 2012 Nissan Maxima SV sport package and tech package

i know Acura TL awd tech is more luxury and been with Acura 11 years,

I was looking at the Maxima SV sport package with tech, and was just looking for ballpark numbers with just 1st payment and dmv fee was told can get between 400 and 450 a month.
never owned nissan cars,
maxima has more room then Infiniti G37
but over all i am still undecided for maxima.

what you guys think of Maxima?

Thamac15 01-24-2012 10:20 PM

By your pic you have a 09-11 TL already,...do you not like it? Why go down to a maxima? when i see nissan i see ugly,..all their models especially the titan! Once I went luxury from my wifes lexus to my acura,...I just can't go buy a cheaper car. Just my opinion. If I leased like a lot of the peeps here then I'd possibly experiment with other cars, but since i buy every car i drive i'll stick with the luxury brands except infiniti(just not my style)

g37guy01 01-24-2012 10:22 PM

Why don't you drive it? You may not like the CVT. The room is there in the Maxima, TL has more HP, more goodies, higher price. Plus you get luxury service (along with luxury prices) with the TL. You may be able to get a steeper discount on the Maxima.

After my stint with Nissan, two Maximas and a minivan, I decided never to get the same car twice in a row.

You may like the switch.

ostrich 01-24-2012 11:15 PM

I had a 2011 Maxima for a while as a rental car. While it was nice and everything, it was nothing like the 4G TL - the handling was not as sharp, the interior was less luxurious and wouldn't you want AWD in New York?

under9hell 01-24-2012 11:52 PM

I would wait for the GS350 :D Test drive the Maxima. I don't like their interior compared to Lexus and Acura.

Acura2010 01-25-2012 07:57 AM

In all honesty, I love the Maxima. I know it's not on the same level as the TL, but pretty damn close. And bang for the buck, can't go wrong. The only thing you'll need to get used to is the CVT. I don't like it a whole lot, but it's not horrible. You get used to it pretty quick. I know cuz we had an Altima previously. As for fit and finnish, the car is up to par. It's actually uses the same equipment as my G37. It may be a Nissan, but you get all the same switches, knobs, Nav screen, etc. The seats in the Maxima are actually more comfy than the seats in our G37x w/Premium Package. It does have a little less power, 290hp is plenty. So i would say drive it, you may be pleasantly suprised. And for the price how can you go wrong with the Max. Also, here in canada they are running programs of 0% financing up to 72 months, and no payments for 3 months. They are practically giving the car away. The MSRP pricing in Canada for the model you are lookign at is around $44,000. (Base price in Canada s $37,000), so U.S. pricing is going to be atleast 5-7k lower. All that car for the 40K mark is amazing to me.

omaralt 01-25-2012 10:03 AM

i strongly considered the maxima before settling on my TL. to be honest if i wanted more luxury the maxima is the way to go. softer ride, rear sunshade, heated steering wheel, and cooled drivers seat. and to be honest; less rattles and harshness than my TL. and like acura2010 said; they had amazing discounts on the car; i was getting about $7K off MSRP. the CVT transmission is eh; but honestly if you just want a luxury car then it's fine. if you dont need AWD and dont really care about sport the Maxima is a great car

amer 01-25-2012 11:22 AM

I like my tl but to lease another same body style puts me like i didnt even change i will upgrade to 2012 tl awd tech but its a same car.
I went to check the maxima sport with tech package it really looks good i know the quality is not like acura but its there. The layout of inside is not like tl but its something different. As far as CVT trans i am not a fan of it but i drove a 2011 murano and its not that bad at all i did also drive rouge and on 4cyl it sounds bad. But i figure maxima has shifter paddles so it wont be that bad.
I am also getting the maxima $100 dollars different in payment.
I am looking just to put 1st month payment and DMV fee and thats it. And i dont want my payment more than 530 a month based on tl awd tech. There isnt too many cars that are similar to tl featurs i have now to be at that price. So maxima is one.of them and i can get $430 a month
I also look jeep grand cherokee limited in that price range but thats my last.option to be in another SUV.

If u guys have better ideas i will consider in ur suggestions.

BLACKURA_NY 01-25-2012 12:05 PM

Maxima is nice.... BUT everybody has that car!! wayyyy too many on the road these days.... no AWD.... interior isnt as nice...

I went from a 2009 SH-AWD/Tech, to a 2010 SH-AWD/Tech.... different color, makes it a completely different car

g37guy01 01-25-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY (Post 13506962)
Maxima is nice.... BUT everybody has that car!! wayyyy too many on the road these days.... no AWD.... interior isnt as nice...

I went from a 2009 SH-AWD/Tech, to a 2010 SH-AWD/Tech.... different color, makes it a completely different car

Why does it matter how many of what vehicle is on the road? No AWD maybe fine for the OP.

I agree the interior isn't as nice, but they can be had at a great discount based on some negotation.

It's funny, seems people who are looking at TLs cross-shop the 5 series and the Maxima.

Mr Marco 01-25-2012 12:29 PM

My HVAC guy test drove both and in the end picked the Maxima because the driver position fit him better.

Soooo, did you drive it?

amer 01-25-2012 05:35 PM

No i have not drive the maxima yet.

n-spring 01-25-2012 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY (Post 13506962)
Maxima is nice.... BUT everybody has that car!! wayyyy too many on the road these days....

Must be a regional thing. I hardly see any in Houston, TX. Altimas, on the other hand, are everywhere.

Sgt128 01-25-2012 05:59 PM

I traded my 2009 Maxima SV Sport in for my 2012 TL. I have to say there are a lot of things I miss about my Maxima. i.e. Steering wheel heater, auto in & out seat/steering wheel adjustment and exterior styling. I didn't like the CVT though. It seemed like it whined when you accellerated hard. Also the TL seems to have more power even though they're are about the same. Payments were cheaper with the Maxima though. All in all they are very similar in many aspects and unless you need the AWD you won't go wrong with either one.

Acura2010 01-26-2012 08:21 AM

I like what Nissan has done, and i think that is why the Maxima gets so much attention. Maxima still has the "Nissan" badge, but in reality it uses featurs and fit and finnish is all up the "Infiniti" level. Maxima has always impressed me. And like others have said, given the price point, if your in the market for fwd, then the Maxima is the way to go.

TRC101 01-26-2012 09:50 AM

Nissans depreciate way faster than Acura.

012TL-GLM 01-26-2012 09:58 AM

Am I the only guy who hears *maxipad* in my head when saying or reading the word maxima? They could be the greatest car in the world and the name alone would keep me away. Good luck with your purchase

MyT6MT 01-26-2012 09:59 AM

IMO, going from a FWD TL to a SH-AWD is a worthy upgrade even if is the same generation you already have.

esco115 01-26-2012 02:15 PM

OP I own a 2012 SV Sport with all the options in it... Can't compare it to an AWD TL as its not AWD obviously and yes the J37 has more hp but not by much. VQ's are torquy so it makes it up.

Yes the Maxima is not badged by a top luxury brand but many would be surprised how well a Maxima can compare to a TL. TL FWD is around the same ball park as a Maxima, AWD isn't.

OP if you have any questions please let me know... I've owned a TL and had plenty of seat time in the 4g TL's FWD/AWD... I will not give you no bias reviews as I like both companies (honda/nissan).

omaralt 01-26-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by esco115 (Post 13510353)
OP I own a 2012 SV Sport with all the options in it... Can't compare it to an AWD TL as its not AWD obviously and yes the J37 has more hp but not by much. VQ's are torquy so it makes it up.

Yes the Maxima is not badged by a top luxury brand but many would be surprised how well a Maxima can compare to a TL. TL FWD is around the same ball park as a Maxima, AWD isn't.

OP if you have any questions please let me know... I've owned a TL and had plenty of seat time in the 4g TL's FWD/AWD... I will not give you no bias reviews as I like both companies (honda/nissan).

then if you dont mind; plz write a review of what you like about each

esco115 01-26-2012 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by omaralt (Post 13510374)
then if you dont mind; plz write a review of what you like about each

Man I'm going to be writing FOREVER! LoL

IMO this is what I Do/Don't like from both cars, I'm into details so some may be be stupid and some may not be to others...

Only reviewing the TL FWD to Maxima (Top Models) as they dont come AWD.

2012 TL Advance FWD:

- Navigation is more user friendly
- Red Push Start button (Seems Sportier)
- Love the Front Driver/Pass Seat designs (Sporty)
- Hate the leather meterial wear on them sucks.
- Brakes could be better, wtf is up with a 13.2' rear solid rotor? Acura we are in 2012 ventilated rotors are here!
- Not a fan of the rim options for them, AWD rims are better obviously.
- More standard options always gets a plus!
- bluetooth easy to use
- Who uses keys anymore? (TL Base)
- Handles great but not any better then a Maxima.
- HID low/high beams
- Rear passenger volume is slightly bigger then the Maxima
- weights a ton compared to others
- Thank god for 6spd auto? LMAO
- In manuel mode ur in control
- Trunk space is well... luggagable?
- Love the way everything under the hood is covered
- HP/TQ comes at a forever RPM.
- SOHC? Why?
- Oh the blind spot!!! LOVE U!
-

2012 Maxima SV Sport:

- Touch screen Navigation but also can use the knobs.
- Bluetooth isn't to great but liveable
- Hate the stock push start button (I bought the GTR one)
- Not matter what model you get not keys needed just FOB.
- Sport suspension isn't to sporty but keeps up with the TL
- Sport models get 19' rims standard no extras.
- HID low beam but holagen high beams... WTF nissan?
- Front passenger volume is greater then the TL
- Brakes are better then the TL ventilated rotors on all corners
- Leather wear is great! Not poor like the TL.
- Don't like the front seats design not sporty at all!
- Sports model rear seats is only good for 2 adults
- 3500lbs fully loaded no need for big hp numbers to move it.
- CVT I actually fell in love with, however the paddle shifter makes the car slow and its useless as the ECU overrides it if it detects a slight error!
- Trunk space is good for like 5 dead bodies
- Thank god for 2012 nissan changed the orange dash lights to more liveable white/orange touches.
- EVERY little thing is an option WHY?
- Hate the way everything under the hood is covered EXCEPT the battery!!!
- HP/TQ comes early
- Back up camera guides are better then the TL

Thats all I can think of as of right now if anyone as any question you might want to know let me know I will answer if I can...

Didn't compare the sound system as they are both GREAT. BOSE/ELS love them. HOWEVER! LoL The Bose in the Maxima even with 2 subs lacks the Bass the TL has for some weird reason!

kenny powers 01-27-2012 10:16 AM

esco115 the TL has HID low and halogen high beams as well

leobeau 01-27-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by esco115 (Post 13510526)

2012 TL Advance FWD:

2012 Maxima SV Sport:

12 TL: more LEDs inside and out, more reliable, longer warranty & luxury dealership services

12 Maxima: heated steering wheel, auto sunshade, 3D Nav, panorama roof

esco115 01-27-2012 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by kenny powers (Post 13512166)
esco115 the TL has HID low and halogen high beams as well

no the halogen is the DRL function on the TL...

Originally Posted by leobeau (Post 13512946)
12 TL: more LEDs inside and out, more reliable, longer warranty & luxury dealership services

Reliability are the same on both... LEDs on the inside ok sure... lol And yes longer warranty I forgot that one on the dont likes!

Originally Posted by leobeau (Post 13512946)
12 Maxima: heated steering wheel, auto sunshade, 3D Nav, panorama roof

auto sunshade and Panorama roof isnt on the Sport models...

FishMeetFish 01-28-2012 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by n-spring (Post 13508012)
Must be a regional thing. I hardly see any in Houston, TX. Altimas, on the other hand, are everywhere.

Gotta be regional. I see Maximas everywhere here in NYC.

compewterbleu 01-30-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish (Post 13513910)
Gotta be regional. I see Maximas everywhere here in NYC.

You' ll generally see more of a cheaper car then one costing more.

2010_Type_SH 01-30-2012 02:58 PM

If I was looking for a FWD 4dr and was considering between the two than the Maxima would probably win out.

I've owned and been around a lot of Nissan/Infiniti products my whole life, and I got to say for the price point you are getting a lot with the Maxima.

Nissans are not bad cars. I don't think they are any better or worse than Honda/Acura products. What it comes down to is basically like Pulp Fiction. Are you an Elvis or Beatles fan?

Me personally I've gone back and forth between the two since the day I started driving.

FishMeetFish 01-30-2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by compewterbleu (Post 13518390)
You' ll generally see more of a cheaper car then one costing more.

For sure I see more Maximas than Versa and Sentra combined.

esco115 01-30-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish (Post 13518863)
For sure I see more Maximas than Versa and Sentra combined.

Depending in the area, its like saying I see more TL's then TSX, or more Accords then civics... Its all depends where u live and whats more realistic in that area...

jspagna1 01-30-2012 08:00 PM

I've owned two Maximas and other Nissan products. When buying the TL also shopped the Maxima in 2010. Well now in 2012 wife hates her TL and may be buying a Maxima for her by the end of the year and I;ll drive the TL.
Maxima's definitley give your more bang for your buck. The car just feels sportier and more tossible IMO. And 290 HP is plenty for a FWD car. The Acura is just more Luxury oriented IMO. Can't go wrong with either one you buy. I've always had a soft spot for Max's.:2cents:

Monte TLS,MAX 01-30-2012 10:12 PM

Fwd to Fwd Max especially if you get a SV Sport Max has the edge on drive feel & Luxury is a toss up depending on which you prefer. AWD TL feels better than either of the formentioned. Overall mission of the FWD TL and Maxin the market are very similiar and have been since the TL was badged as the Vigor, just a matter of preference.

benmroz3 02-22-2012 01:00 PM

Stick with your 2010...

Hey man,

I just traded a 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH for a 2012 TL SH-AWD TECH 6sp.

I have to say there is so much that is different on the 2012. For some they may be simple, but they are huge for me.

The handsfreelink has MAJOR problems and the updates do not help.

The blue lights under the dash are a much lower wattage so they are not nearly as bright; almost non-existent.

The leather interior has no smell whatsoever and is wearing very fast. Almost like it is a lesser quality of the material used on the 2010.

The only reason I switched was to drop the $700.00 plus payment and I leased the 2012. I have only had it a few months and I hate it! I tried to buy my 2010 back but they already sold it. Go figure, it only had 7500 miles on it so I am sure it was the first to go.

Hopefully the 2013 scheduled redesign will be better.

Hamma Tyme 02-22-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by g37guy01 (Post 13507013)
Why does it matter how many of what vehicle is on the road? No AWD maybe fine for the OP.

I agree the interior isn't as nice, but they can be had at a great discount based on some negotation.

It's funny, seems people who are looking at TLs cross-shop the 5 series and the Maxima.

Very few 5 Series buyers cross shop the TL. But I agree some who buy the TL may have shopped the 5, but very few.

chiu0nthls 02-22-2012 03:17 PM

Really? I see them everywhere...

legend74 02-22-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by esco115 (Post 13513109)
no the halogen is the DRL function on the TL....

No the halogen doubles as the DRL and high beam on the 4G TL. Only the 3G had both low and high HID.

F23A4 02-23-2012 05:27 AM

I live in the same region as that poster and I see as many 4G TLs as I do 7G Maximas. :agree: Altimas are ubiquitous.

silverrevlis 03-01-2012 08:36 AM

WooHoo-First post!! To the OP, I am in a similar boat, as I am cross shopping the Maxima SV Premium, TL SH-AWD w/Advanced, and the Jeep Cherokee (yea, I know). Maxima is marginally less expensive per month, but after personally owning a Nissan product and seeing how design flaws aren't addressed and are carried over to new products, I would go with the Acura.

saturno_v 03-01-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme (Post 13573081)
Very few 5 Series buyers cross shop the TL. But I agree some who buy the TL may have shopped the 5, but very few.

Do you know all of them to make such categoric statement?? Any statistics??

HeartTLs 03-01-2012 01:56 PM

Who needs statistics when you have an imagination?!

g37guy01 03-01-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by saturno_v (Post 13592945)
Do you know all of them to make such categoric statement?? Any statistics??

Can you prove the otherwise? I would like to see some proof that a majority of 5 series buyers cross shop the TL.