2012 TL: AC not as cold as '09?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by imnghia
I have an 09 TL Tech and my AC is also giving out on me. I brought it into the dealership yesterday (7-23) for a check up. Wait for about an hour and was told nothing was wrong with. He also said that the AC is so cold, it could blow off my fingers. Being told so, I was very secured about the whole situation. Today, my GF and I went on a hiking trip. On the way there, the AC blew perfectly fine. We got there and hiked up our trail and back. When we got back to my car to head over to the other side of the mountain, my AC was slowly getting warmer. It was initially set on 65 with fan speed 3. I then lowered the temp. to low and turned it to auto. Still nothing. The cabin was hotter than it was outside. I tried turning on and off the AC, then the recirculation button. EVERYTHING! I tried it all. It would get really cold, then it'll slowly get warmer, then eventually just hot air. The cold air would only last for about 1-3 minutes. Then it would get warm/hot as hell. It was a TERRIBLE 2 hour trip back to my house. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, the temp. was about 104+ outside. So driving home in a bipolar temp. car was shitty as hell.

If you turned the AC off for awhile and thenturned it back on and the air was cold, you have a restriction in your ac line somewhere. It sounds like the evaporator is freezing up. This can be easily diagnosed with an ac gauge .
Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting post, DWest, given the update on my situation:

Saturday the AC started working quite well--comparable with my 09 TL--without any external intervention. That continued, more or less, until today when during my ride back to my office the temperature of the air blowing suddenly increased and returned to its prior anemic state.

This, of course, is going to make diagnosing the problem way more problematic. It had been working poorly consistently for weeks, despite initially seeming fairly good on my 2 plus hour drive home from my selling dealer.

I was hoping to make it back down to them tomorrow for them to attempt to diagnose it, since my local dealer's efforts were not successful. However, there is too much else going on for me to be able to make the trip this week.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know the TL have some kind of sensor that know where the sun is located. I'm pretty sure it work too, because I can feel the AC not blowing as cold when I took a turn. Even tho it work it doesn't work very well. AC weaken it self when it suppose to stay at 72.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is also a lot of TL's that have been having problems with the a/c compressor clutch relays sticking/going bad. Might be something to bring up if you bring it back agian.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is also a series of buttons you can press that will run test on your Ac. such a the evaporator tempt. dwell angle of the blend doors etc. All of this was available on my 2006 TSX. I have do dig out my TL manual and look up the buttons you have to push to run the test.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just looked up the ac troubleshooting and there is so many test you can run. I cant begin to type all the information.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Racer

DWest - Where is this information? I've never seen anything like that in the manual.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
DWest - Where is this information? I've never seen anything like that in the manual.

Its in the factory service manual
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Racer

Oh, ok. I don't have that. Can you help out with directions?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1dereks
There is also a lot of TL's that have been having problems with the a/c compressor clutch relays sticking/going bad. Might be something to bring up if you bring it back agian.
1dereks
Where did you hear that. I am bringing the car to the dealer tomm for the a/c
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

i dropped off my tl tonite at the dealer and picked up a loaner zdx. There was a 2010 tl loaner on the lot so i went with the service advisor to check the a/c in the loaner vehicle. It worked exactly like my car.The a/c only went to 48 degrees and the recirculating button did not change the air flow. Next was the zdx. It too worked the same. So they probably will tell me my car is working fine. Either all are defective, or this is something we have to live with. Nobody is going to check every sensor and or relay pertaining to this problem.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2010 TL Tech
i dropped off my tl tonite at the dealer and picked up a loaner zdx. There was a 2010 tl loaner on the lot so i went with the service advisor to check the a/c in the loaner vehicle. It worked exactly like my car.The a/c only went to 48 degrees and the recirculating button did not change the air flow. Next was the zdx. It too worked the same. So they probably will tell me my car is working fine. Either all are defective, or this is something we have to live with. Nobody is going to check every sensor and or relay pertaining to this problem.

That is strange that the airflow did not change when you went to recirculate. Also you must drive the car in recirculate to get the air tempt down to 40. The temp probe needs to be down the center vent. I'm not sure about the airflow, but when you push the recirculate button in the ac should be more noisy and quite with outside air.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
off topic, how you like the ZDX? I was even considering getting that over the TL.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Today i received a phone call from a field rep from acura corp discussing my problems with the a/c. Told her of how poor the a/c was and that my vehicle was at the dealer. She said that she will follow up with the servic dept. to see what if anything they did to pin point the problem. I picked up the car today and the service advisor said that they found nothing wrong with the a/c, no leaks and everything was in spec. Surprise surprise. However the service mgr. did say that he received a call from acura corp about the a/c problem I was having and why did I call them. I said why not. I wanted acura to be aware of this problem and how unhappy I was. I will speak to the field rep on Monday and tell her how the dealer probably did nothing to fix the problem.I am sure nobody opened the service manual or called their own tech support hotline asking for help.This was a waste of my time

Last edited by 2010 TL Tech; 07-29-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry you are having issues with the A/C system. I would like to offer you some advice when dealing with the factory service advisor. I do have experience in this area. For more than 25 years, I worked in automotive dealerships, including an Acura store. By involving the factory, you are dealing with "last resort" help. Here are some pointers, remember that factory service rep is you last chance to resolve your issue. Under no circumstances be rude. I know you are angry that your new car is not meeting your expectations, but being rude does nothing to help your cause. Remember you are dealing with a person that can help you. Only state the facts of how the A/C is working and what, to your knowledge, the dealership told you they did. Be sure to provide all documents to the FSA that the dealer gave you at the time of repair. Do not point the finger of blame at anyone. If at all possible, get the FSA to ride with you in the car and show them first hand what the car is doing. This step is the most important! Be sure you get the Rep in the car and show them what you are talking about. Sort of like a picture is worth a thousand words. Another note, before meeting with the FSA, make sure your car is clean inside and out and devoid of interior clutter. I know this statement seems odd, but a clean car shows the rep that you take care of your car. Believe or not it makes a difference how you come across to the rep. I can't stress enough, to keep your opinions about the car or the dealership to yourself. I hope the FSA can get your A/C problems resolved once and for all. Acuras are outstanding cars and I'm sorry this problem has soured your experience.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
I'm confused. Is this weak AC problem a climate-control normality or simply faulty sensors/actuators ?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Linmk2
Sorry you are having issues with the A/C system. I would like to offer you some advice when dealing with the factory service advisor. I do have experience in this area. For more than 25 years, I worked in automotive dealerships, including an Acura store. By involving the factory, you are dealing with "last resort" help. Here are some pointers, remember that factory service rep is you last chance to resolve your issue. Under no circumstances be rude. I know you are angry that your new car is not meeting your expectations, but being rude does nothing to help your cause. Remember you are dealing with a person that can help you. Only state the facts of how the A/C is working and what, to your knowledge, the dealership told you they did. Be sure to provide all documents to the FSA that the dealer gave you at the time of repair. Do not point the finger of blame at anyone. If at all possible, get the FSA to ride with you in the car and show them first hand what the car is doing. This step is the most important! Be sure you get the Rep in the car and show them what you are talking about. Sort of like a picture is worth a thousand words. Another note, before meeting with the FSA, make sure your car is clean inside and out and devoid of interior clutter. I know this statement seems odd, but a clean car shows the rep that you take care of your car. Believe or not it makes a difference how you come across to the rep. I can't stress enough, to keep your opinions about the car or the dealership to yourself. I hope the FSA can get your A/C problems resolved once and for all. Acuras are outstanding cars and I'm sorry this problem has soured your experience.

I agree 100%. I was not rude with the fsa. Clearly stated the facts and made sure she understood that my other 4 acuras a/c were colder as by my instant read thermometer placed in the center vent. I was asking for help and not placing blame on anybody. The company has to understand that during these hard economic times, we are buying high end cars and paying high end prices for them. If not for us buying their products,they would be in trouble.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey everyone, this is my first post (registered just for this thread)!

Any update on this? I'll be getting a 2012 TL soon and I'm curious if this is an ongoing issue or just something wrong with your individual car.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I do not have an issue with my '12.. down here where it's been 100+ for 15 straight days... it's 100 + when I go to get in my (already cooled car via RS) and keeps me cool all the way home.

I know other have said theirs works fine and others say it doesn't... no clear answer to why some don't other than the auto climate control thinking the sun isn't shining in the car when pointing a certain direction!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I sure would like to see how cold my 12 gets if I ever get it... I feel the dealership motto is "lets see what rolls off the truck today" to determine if the car has been built or shipped for delivery... Insane, I was told 8/7/11 on production and that date has come and gone... With the electronic society we live in today you think we could get better answers than this... Sorry for the rant... Good luck to all with the A/C issues or possible non issues...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Can someone please tell me what kind of thermometer do I use to check the temperature of the air coming out of the vents?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rockets007
Can someone please tell me what kind of thermometer do I use to check the temperature of the air coming out of the vents?
You can use a simple cooking thermometer.. also called a candy thermometer.
The following users liked this post:
Rockets007 (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Digital probe thermometer.... Stick it in the middle vent take it for a ride and read your lowest results... Pretty easy and straight forward...
The following users liked this post:
Rockets007 (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Thanks Stew4HD & ferrcad for your help!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
BT9
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sure to check the accuracy of the thermometer first. Many cheap thermometers are not accurate, or become inaccurate over time.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJULQICiGM
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 AM
BT9
Intermediate

I finally test drove an AWD (2012) and advance package. Impressed with the handling, but same issues with the AC (takes too long to initially cool when the car has soaked in the sun all day, never gets sufficiently cool for my tastes) as my other 2012 TL test drives.

Since the salesperson didn't think it was a problem and it's how they are, I guess it's time to take the 2012 TL off my list of candidates.

It's a shame really. So much to like about the car, but a strong AC is too important. Heck, I'd even consider paying for an optional upgraded AC system as long as it was covered under the warranty, but they don't offer such a thing.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Could it be a problem with the ventilated seat system on the advance? Anybody having the problem with a non-advance?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
Could it be a problem with the ventilated seat system on the advance? Anybody having the problem with a non-advance?
It's unlikely. jjsC5 and Stew4HD have already said they have no problems with their AC and they both have Advance packages.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the GPS linked temperature control (not saying there's a problem, but maybe user confusion). From the manual:

"The system also regulates each temperature based on the information of the sunlight sensor and the sun’s position which is updated automatically by the navigation’s global positioning system (GPS)."
Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM
BT9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by omaralt

Yes the weak AC has been noted on non-Advance cars (see earlier in thread)

The vented seats don't have any direct connection to the AC system. They are vented with fans, not air conditioned. Some cars do connect to the AC ductwork for their vented seats but not this one.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by macguitar
"The system also regulates each temperature based on the information of the sunlight sensor and the sun’s position which is updated automatically by the navigation’s global positioning system (GPS)."
The ridiculousness of even putting stuff like this into a cars AC controls takes Acura down a notch in my estimation. Talk about needless complication. What else can they do to add possible failure points to a system? The car must have a mental breakdown everytime you drive around the block! Where's the sun? Over there, no no now it's over there...quick get me some GPS data I think we are in the shade of a building..can't see the sun...oh no!!! Turn the ac up on the passenger side no wait he turned, turn it back down but turn it up on the driver side, etc etc.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Ozo
1st Gear

Do anyone know how MikeElmendorf and 2010 TL Tech's stories ended?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

Well here is the end to my story. Took a trip to florida and the a/c was at 46 degrees. sometimes it would drop to 44 then move to 46. The car was comfortable, but it could have been better. It's a lease vehicle and I will give it back. Such a shame because the car is a very nice and rides great. If i lease another acura i will check the a/c temperature prior to purchase
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I have the opposite problem in my G, setting the temperature to 70 during the summer when the temp was near 100 and the car baked in the sun all day, the car was an icebox after a few miles. I couldn't believe it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

If I set the temp on my TL to 68, it freeze me out.. I do me mean COLD! When I go on road trips, I found 73-74 to be comfortable.

This "problem" is not typical
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Something of interest. I was reading through the September 2011 service bulletin and it states there that poor A/C performance could be tracked down to a faulty compressor clutch relay.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/acura-servicenews-bulletins-588838/
Old 05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Racer

Well, the summer weather is back....and so is my 2012 TL's very anemic AC. Works fine if it isn't actually that warm out--once you get to 80 or above, it is awful. I was back and forth to the dealer a number of times last year trying to get it fixed. It is awful compared to my '09. The dealer finally concurred that it wasn't quite cool enough and added some coolant, but by then it was nearly the end of the summer and with lower temperatures it was no longer an issue.

Has anyone else who has had this issue had any success in getting it diagnosed and resolved?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
have to chime in. My new '12 TL has a terrible A/C. It was 90 degrees here in MD last few days...was driving home from work and wondering why I felt so 'warm' with sweat on my backside. The damn A/C blows warm air on acceleration and honestly does NOT cool the interior even on the "LOW" setting on the auto temp.

Grrr..this is frustrating. This is my first Acura and little things like this are pissing me off. The German cars I have owned have always had ice cold A/C. My wife's Lexus RX feels like a freezer with auto temp on 73!!

Anyone know if the dealer can solve this?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Mike...Its a real shame you seem to have issue with your AC. I have a 2012 and never had a problem with mine but then again, I am in Canada and it never get that hot for extended amount of time so its hard to say if mine is inadequate. That being said, the desired level of coolness will vary from one person to another. Myself, I hate extremely cold temperatures. When I get in the car and its been super hot, I just drop the windows and all the car to cool off a bit before turning the AC. For me, I don't have any problem with the way my TL is behaving....Its too bad some are having problem but is this really worth overlooking the TL because of this?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well here is the end to my story. Took a trip to florida and the a/c was at 46 degrees. sometimes it would drop to 44 then move to 46. The car was comfortable, but it could have been better. It's a lease vehicle and I will give it back. Such a shame because the car is a very nice and rides great. If i lease another acura i will check the a/c temperature prior to purchase

44 AND 46 is not good. Is the AC in recirulate? if so, you should see at least 40. All 3 of my cars do 40 in recirulate. I would go to an independant shop or ask your Aura dealer to to a compelete ac vaccum and recharge. That should fix things unless there is a mehanical issue.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm in Florida and its already in the 90's and I have no problem. The first thing I would do is take one of their cars out for a test drive and see if you notice that it's cooler. If not then your expectations may be unrealistic. However if it is cooler have them measure the temp of that car and your car side by side. If yours is noticeably lower insist on keeping a loaner until they can fix it. That's how I would handle it. Good luck

Quick Reply: 2012 TL: AC not as cold as '09?