2012 TL: AC not as cold as '09?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 TL: AC not as cold as '09?

My '12 TL SH-AWD Advance is about 3 weeks old, and I've concluded that the AC isn't blowing nearly as cold as my '09 did...or my '07 or my '04, for that matter!

Anyone else experiencing this? Not happy to have to go to the dealer for something like this already. I was already there once, as the front tires were out of balance on delivery.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
just bring it in...how can it be fixed if you don't..
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Racer

Going in Friday..... It is definitely not right. Service advisor at my selling dealership informed me he had another customer with 300 miles on their vehicle with the same complaint yesterday.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
My wife and I both commented the other day on how cold ours got. And this in Houston's 95 degree weather we have been having.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
One thing I've noticed, is that the newer cars have a climate control that operates a lot more like a home HVAC unit. It attempts to get the ambient temperature in the whole car to whatever you have it set at...as opposed to the older systems that would just blow cold air at your face.

That said, the 09 and 12 should have the same type of system.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
My wife and I both commented the other day on how cold ours got. And this in Houston's 95 degree weather we have been having.
Same here! Mine will freeze me out.. I usually keep the AC on 70 and about mid fan speed.. but BRRR
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Racer

My 09 used to freeze me out too. The '12, not at all. Hopefully it just didn't get a full charge of refrigerant or something.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm not sure if it was changed for 12 or has been this way, but I've been reading that Acura's systems now measure humidity and that is part of how the automatic system decides on settings.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
If you want to know if your system is working properly, buy a pencil thermometer and place it in the center vent.Set the ac on manual and set the temp to max cold as well as fan speed. Drive the car on the highway and you should see 40 degrees or less. I always do a baseline on my cars, so I can know when something is not right. I will not be a bit surprised if the dealer tells you nothing is wrong
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you setting your AC in AUTO mode?

From the manual;

On models with Nav;
In AUTO mode, the vehicle’s interior
temperature is independently
regulated for the driver and front
passenger according to each
adjusted temperature. The system
also regulates each temperature
based on the information of the
sunlight sensor and the sun’s
position which is updated
automatically by the navigation’s
global positioning system (GPS). If
one side of the vehicle is getting too
much sun, the system lowers the
temperature only on that side.
The following users liked this post:
Shellyduchsk8s (07-07-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Redstorm
Are you setting your AC in AUTO mode?

From the manual;

On models with Nav;
In AUTO mode, the vehicle’s interior
temperature is independently
regulated for the driver and front
passenger according to each
adjusted temperature. The system
also regulates each temperature
based on the information of the
sunlight sensor and the sun’s
position which is updated
automatically by the navigation’s
global positioning system (GPS). If
one side of the vehicle is getting too
much sun, the system lowers the
temperature only on that side.
i've never seen this in action. in auto mode, i have 75 degrees set but have never seen it change, per the sun position, etc. ...and there's lots of sun in AZ.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Racer

Update on this, if anyone is interested:

I took the car to the local dealer on Friday. They tested it and said it was blowing cold enough and there were no codes, so they can't find any problems.

Today I was driving back from a meeting and could feel the air going from cooler to warmer (well, less cool, sort of just ambient) coming out of the vents. It never felt that cold, and on an 82 degree day with the climate control on auto at 59, it should not be switching from cool (not cold) air to air that felt close to the ambient temperature. My '09 definitely did not do this.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
Update on this, if anyone is interested:

I took the car to the local dealer on Friday. They tested it and said it was blowing cold enough and there were no codes, so they can't find any problems.

Today I was driving back from a meeting and could feel the air going from cooler to warmer (well, less cool, sort of just ambient) coming out of the vents. It never felt that cold, and on an 82 degree day with the climate control on auto at 59, it should not be switching from cool (not cold) air to air that felt close to the ambient temperature. My '09 definitely did not do this.

Again without a thermistor reading you are never gonna get this fixed, if indeed you have a problem. I do not believe there are any codes for the ac. The codes are mostly for emission issues. That right there tells me you are getting the usual BS from the dealer. Granted the ac in the tl is very sophisticated, but in manual mode it should work like a plan car ac and you should see 40-43 degrees out of the center vent. Did you ask the dealer if he took any ac pressure readings?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Racer

Update: Another visit to the dealer, as this has continued to annoy me. It is now blowing air at about 50 degrees and not really cooling properly at all, especially compared to my '09. The dealer agreed that it "could be cooler" and it will be going in next Monday to be checked out, which is the first day I have time to drop it off.

Hopefully they can fix it, since this issue is making me very unhappy with the car. Other than this, it is a very nice improvement over my 09 across the board. AC that works well, however, is kind of a baseline issue. Very frustrating that even our the 2006 Impala which is the pool car for my company has better AC!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Push the recirculate button? This one's bit me before, as I thought the 07 was not nearly as cold as the 09. Turns out pumping cold air back in helps out a lot.

(not necessarily your problem for sure - but make it more tolerable in the interim)
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
My '12 TL SH-AWD Advance is about 3 weeks old, and I've concluded that the AC isn't blowing nearly as cold as my '09 did...or my '07 or my '04, for that matter!

Anyone else experiencing this? Not happy to have to go to the dealer for something like this already. I was already there once, as the front tires were out of balance on delivery.
Could it be the cooled seats? I find with my M37 that the cooled seats has impacted AC. Cooled seats basically is another duct and outlet for the AC so the AC may be working the same, but now has to have the cooled air routed more places, and the seats are a long way away from the dash.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Update: Another visit to the dealer, as this has continued to annoy me. It is now blowing air at about 50 degrees and not really cooling properly at all, especially compared to my '09. The dealer agreed that it "could be cooler" and it will be going in next Monday to be checked out, which is the first day I have time to drop it off.

Hopefully they can fix it, since this issue is making me very unhappy with the car. Other than this, it is a very nice improvement over my 09 across the board. AC that works well, however, is kind of a baseline issue. Very frustrating that even our the 2006 Impala which is the pool car for my company has better AC!

What does the spec call for, I had a car years ago and went back to dealer they got a thermometer stuck it in the center vents and compared the recirculated air temp to what the service manual said.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove a 2012 TL SH AWD Tech, I noticed compared to my 2010 MDX, that the ac was NOT getting that cold at all, so same issue here that was noticed.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Living down here in "hotter than Hades in a steam room" Houston, I find my AC cools just fine. We've been having temp around 100 for weeks and no issues. I find that this car cools as good, if not better, than my '08 TL... no complaints with mine.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Living down here in "hotter than Hades in a steam room" Houston, I find my AC cools just fine. We've been having temp around 100 for weeks and no issues. I find that this car cools as good, if not better, than my '08 TL... no complaints with mine.
+1.. coming from a 5 series E60 this cools a lot quicker and better.. and i'm in FL
Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Racer

My selling dealer reported that they have had similar complaints. Not sure what the spec is, but the service manager said it should be below 50 for sure. You can just feel that it is not cold enough. What's more, it varies. It gets cooler...then warmer...then cooler...then warmer, for no apparent reason. Same performance with recirc on and off.

As for the cooled seats, not sure that would make a difference. I'm actually not sure air gets ducted to the seats at all. I think it is more like ventilated seats--there's just a fan.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

I and pretty sure that the vented seated are just that.. ventilated via a fan, no forced cooling from the AC.

I have noticed, from time to time that my AC does seem to stop cooling.. like it's in auto and reached the desired temp but it's not in auto. The passenger side does not seem to switch off of auto at all. Can you guys try it and see if you can take the passenger side off of auto?

Most times it will freeze me out but there are times. when it isn't acting right.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I and pretty sure that the vented seated are just that.. ventilated via a fan, no forced cooling from the AC.

I have noticed, from time to time that my AC does seem to stop cooling.. like it's in auto and reached the desired temp but it's not in auto. The passenger side does not seem to switch off of auto at all. Can you guys try it and see if you can take the passenger side off of auto?

Most times it will freeze me out but there are times. when it isn't acting right.
I always have mine on AUTO. I can never understand why my wife keeps shutting off auto on her car and cranking the fan to produce more heat or cool, before the engine has been on 10 seconds. Our cars have computers that optimize the cooling/heating on AUTO (you'll notice it automatically shifts in and out of recirc, for example, when you first turn on a car in hot sun), and then moderates as the car cools/heats. I also like how the computer slows the fans to reduce noise when a call comes in!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RIneuron
I always have mine on AUTO. I can never understand why my wife keeps shutting off auto on her car and cranking the fan to produce more heat or cool, before the engine has been on 10 seconds. Our cars have computers that optimize the cooling/heating on AUTO (you'll notice it automatically shifts in and out of recirc, for example, when you first turn on a car in hot sun), and then moderates as the car cools/heats. I also like how the computer slows the fans to reduce noise when a call comes in!
my gf does the same thing! I had already explained to her that "auto" means it will adjust itself!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
BT9
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike,
I just test drove a TL Advance and had the same issues with the weak AC. It was 100+ degrees and low humidity outside (a typical July day).

To see if that particular car was just a fluke, we then test drove a TL Tech. Same thing. The salesperson was operating all the controls so operator error on my part is not to blame. For me, this isn't just a minor annoyance that I can let slide. Weak AC in the desert just isn't going to cut it.

If it weren't for all the posts saying their 2012 TL gets icy cold, I'd just move on to other cars. So I'm anxious to see how Acura resolves this for you Mike.

In the best case this ends up as a supplier part problem or system charging (or leak) problem, maybe only affecting a certan range of VINs. I guess I take icy cold AC for granted, and never thought it would be a decision factor.

PS Mike, you might try test driving a couple new TL's at your purchasing dealer and then yours. Take a service person with you. See whether the others are the same. If yours is as weak as the 2 I test drove, and you find one functioning as expected, you won't need a thermometer or any gauges because it would be so much colder that it will be obvious.
MikeElmendorf (07-11-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD ADVANCE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am fairly certain the compressor cycles off during times of acceleration. I have seen this on different cars and have also experienced it on my TLs. Can't say I like it, especially living in Phoenix!
eddean67 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

On most hondas, the compressor turns off during spirited acceleration. I'm unsure of whether or not my 2010's compressor turns off because it's usually pretty cold and with the V6 i'm never really pushing the car.

With my 2006 civic (which had a horribly weak ac system, but people on the 8thcivic forums still said "it was fine"), however, it was very obvious and the cool air goes almost room temperature or even warm when you gun it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Couple of things:

1) AC at minimum should change the ambient air +/- 20 degrees directly at the vent.

2) Compared to my FX35, my 2010 TL's AC is not as strong or cold. Anyone who has been in both my cars agreed on this.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
Couple of things:

1) AC at minimum should change the ambient air +/- 20 degrees directly at the vent.

2) Compared to my FX35, my 2010 TL's AC is not as strong or cold. Anyone who has been in both my cars agreed on this.
I noticed that many nissans have quite strong A/C systems. The a/c in a rental sentra (06?) I had blew much cooler air and cooled the entire car much faster than my 06 civic. My TL's A/C also doesn't blow as cool or strong as my gfs A5.

I'm guessing it's a fuel economy + cost thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Racer

What's most odd is that my 09 TL had great AC, which leads me to believe something is wrong here. Will report back after Mon.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
My 2010 has great ac. I'm amazed off fast it gets cold after sitting overnight. Plus for LA.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
My 2010 has great ac. I'm amazed off fast it gets cold after sitting overnight. Plus for LA.
Yep... Same here
Old 07-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
I have the same situation too on my 12 TL Tech. I set it at 71 degree and for some reason sometimes it blow out some hot air. I even set the passenger side at 71 too and samething. The air fluacuate from cold to warm....
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
A couple of our older Acura/Honda cars had relatively weak AC units, but my wife's Accord and my '10 TL have very strong, cold AC units.

Sounds like either they changed something for '12 or there's a rash of faulty condensers out there in the MMCs.

Good luck and let us know once you get a diagnosis.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Racer

Update: Just picked up the car at the dealer. They agreed today that it was not working properly.

When I brought it in the first time, they did a check and said the refrigerant was at the proper level. Today they evacuated the system and determined that it was low. They recharged it and said it was blowing cooler.

I had a short drive back from the dealer to my office and it is very warm here today (and the car was outside at the dealer), so it is hard to tell if it is fixed. At times it seemed cooler, at times not. I am pretty sure it is still not as cold as my 09 was. I'll monitor it over the next few days.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 PM
6th Gear

I've just about decided to get the '12 TL until I read this. Would be interested to know how the dealer "fix" turns out after driving it a while. When I test drove the TL I noticed the air wasn't very cold either but thought it was just a fluke. Its sounding more like a systemic problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AcuraHNL
I've just about decided to get the '12 TL until I read this. Would be interested to know how the dealer "fix" turns out after driving it a while. When I test drove the TL I noticed the air wasn't very cold either but thought it was just a fluke. Its sounding more like a systemic problem.
My '12 blows nice, cold air, period. I live in the Houston area.. temp are near 100 and humidity is very high.. the AC does it's job in both lowering temp and lowering humidity in the cabin. Before deciding not to get one, test drive one and see if the AC works or not...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
My '12 blows nice, cold air, period. I live in the Houston area.. temp are near 100 and humidity is very high.. the AC does it's job in both lowering temp and lowering humidity in the cabin. Before deciding not to get one, test drive one and see if the AC works or not...
While I have an '11, I too live near the Houston area. My car is comfortable after sitting in the Southeast Texas sun all day just a few blocks after heading home from work. I have the unit set on AUTO and 72. I also owned a 2001 Acura CL and the A/C worked well in the hellish temperatures. Try one out before you decide not to buy an Acura. Don't be afraid to play with the A/C while you are test driving.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

I had the same problem with my 2010 tl. Took it to the dealer last year and they evacuated and refilled the freon. It was slightly better. The instant read thermometer went to 46. He had a TL on the lot. We checked the temp on that car. Dropped to 42 in no time. My 06 tsx goes to 40 and it is on auto. I noticed that the thermometer now swings from 50 to 48, which is not cold enough. It should sit at 40 at max cold or lo setting. The recirculating button lights up, but i don't feel the extra blowing. That's on auto and manual. Only when the a/c is off does it seem to work properly. I am taking my car in this week to complain. Glad to see i am not the only one with this issue.

Last edited by 2010 TL Tech; 07-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
6th Gear

My dealer has a graphite with ebony interior in stock which is what I'm looking for. I'm going to ask him to test drive that specific car to test the A/C before I drop any cash. If its cold it'll be sold. If not he'll need to fix the A/C first. Hope the temp drops to 40 on the test drive.

Quick Reply: 2012 TL: AC not as cold as '09?