2012 TL or 2009 Lexus IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL or 2009 Lexus IS-F

I currently own a 2007 Acura TL Type S, and really like the 2012 TL, If I was to purchase one it will be the total package, side skirts etc, but I've had just got a pretty good deal (I think) for a 2009 Lexus IS-F for $34,350 51k miles on it. What do you guys think, what would you decide to do? I mean, the room in my New TL is good enough, I have an M45 Sport which is much more room but as far as the 07 TLS it's pretty roomy, and I know the IS-F is a bit tighter in the rear, I went to a lexus dealer last week and got in the 2010 ISF and I adjusted the driver seat to my liking and jumped in the back, it wasn't to bad, to bad it's only 2 seats in the rear though!!

I never owned a lexus, I've owned a total of 9 acuras so far, I don't care for lexus because of it's grand fathers image and styling, and the regular IS seems like a chics car, the IFS is the only lexus (Besides and LFA) that doesn't seem to be for an old man or a chic.

Let me know you're input. Thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ISF is a bad car, but 51K on an 09 is alot of miles.......If you were to resale an 09 with that many miles you would take a big hit on mileage alone. I would look for one with less miles if I were you. Between a 12 TL and ISF no doubt I would choose the ISF' (they are 2 totally different rides with different missions) but thats just me. Also the Lexus GS is nicely styled ride inside and out and is very classy "manly" car with top notch materials inside, it along with the IS attracts younger buyers........Now the LS and ES fit the mold you mentioned.

Last edited by Monte TLS,MAX; 03-25-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Have you driven the '12 TL yet? If not, do so to see the what you lose/gain compared to the IS-F. I guess it depends on what you want from a car. Speed or comfort. Both is great but with IS-F, you do lose MPG but the WOW factor is there.

I don't see the TL and IS-F as being an apple to apple comparo.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Damn - a 2009 with 51k miles!! That is crazy.

But I agree with above, two totally different cars. And in that respect, I would choose a new car over an old car. Less issues to deal with...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
:ibmovedtoramblings:
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
they made big suspension changes on the 2010 is f....i wouldnt buy an isf before 2010 due to the car being very unsettled in the suspension dept....atleast take it for a ride so you can see how bad the handleing is on the car....otherwise, yea i wouldnt buy a car with that many miles on it...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Also, don't know if you care about this or not, but maintenance on the IS-F will run you 3-4x what you're doing for the TL. I had a chance to sit down with one of the maintenance guys from Lexus when I was car shopping (The IS-F was on my list at the time) and he went through some of what I could expect, from tire costs to especially brakes (they replace both rotors and pads and will run you abt 1200-1500). That alone had me taking it off my list. Also, the ride is hella rough on the F.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Wow!!! You guys make Hella sense, that's why I love these forums.

Ok, so its actually a 2008 with 51k, not a 2009. True though, two different cars with different purposes!! I love technology and gadgets. Yes the is-f has the levenstons package but the to in the tech department is better. When I bought my m45 brand new almost 4 years ago it was great, but I soon became tired of the tech in that car and missed my type s (that's why I purchased another one as my daily driver) and another thing I failed to mention is that I live in the northeast (Snow) I've learned the hard way buying my M-sport in New England, completely useless unless you invest in snow tires.

It looks like I'm swinging toward another acura #10 to be exact!!! Oh and I have a child on the way due end of April so another thing to think about (a no brainer huh)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Couple of points:

1) 2009 IS-F for $34.5k at that mileage is a pretty fair price. Just doing a quick search on comparable cars with lower mileage you're already at $40k. +/-

2) They say average American drives 10-15k miles/year. Not sure when the IS-F was released but lets say mid 2008, you're still over on the mileage.

3) My buddy got a 2010 TL Type SH like mine. He bought his used with ~7,500 miles. He paid before tax $34,800.

4) As somebody mentioned, this is not an apples-apples comparison. You should be looking at the M3 or C63.

5) I still can't get over the fake duel exhaust on the IS-F.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
My experience with Lexus has been poor, at least with the IS 250 AWD. I had a 2009 IS I traded in at 4,000 miles b/c the dam car became so painful to drive. Took a financial bath on the trade in for the TL.

My thoughts, though the the 250 and F have vastly different engines:

1) Main complaint: the IS interior is too dam small. painfully small. My initial test drives and previews, the salesman at the stealership had me believing that car would have that "just right" fit and feeling, and that the car and I would have that "sports car" connection.

Initially it was nice, but over time my body and my right leg/hip/knee couldn't stand it anymore. Couldn't drive the dam car without temendous pain.

The back seat, forget about it. Again, too claustrophobic. Seem cozy and comfy at first.

2) Useless nav system, could not use the nav when the car is in motion. My wife sits in the passenger's side and couldn't use it. What's the point of nav then? And the voice system was absolutely horrible. Lexus claims it's for safety issues. Safety my arse...

3) Crappy bluetooth system. People could barely hear me talk when I'm driving, very frustrating and annoying. Useless and nonfunctional bluetooth.

My TL's bluetooth works just fine (same phone).

4) Huge blindspot towards the right rear passenger side

5) After sitting in the driver's seat, the seat bottom felt like a big piece of hard metal.

6) Numerous Toyota/Lexus recalls. Enough said.

7) Unresolved rattle and clicking sound coming from the air vents.

My positives of the IS: Looks nice and ventilated seats, which admittedly are what sold me on the car since I bought during the summer.

Save your money and get the TL instead. Lexus has lost my business. When my wife's RX needs replacing (which is undergoing its 4th recall), we're looking at the Q5, RDX, MDX, or Cayenne.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
The concern with the Lexus is the high mileage.

I'd go with the TL.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
hey everyone.. I have a dilemnna...

should I buy a new toyota Prius... OR a used Ferrari F430...

help me, I can't decide?!?!?!?

ok.. I'm just messin with you man..but your choices are kind of apples/oranges...
a TL is a 35-45k sporty entry level luxury sedan and the IS-F is a $50k+ ultra high performance luxury car.

the TL is on par with a basic 3 series, A4, G35, etc.
the IS-F is compard to the S4/RS4/M3

the real question YOU should ask yourself is which car do you WANT. do you want a TL or an IS-F? i know if it were me, I'd want the IS-F.. it's a way more bad a$$ car than a TL... c'mon.. it only has like an extra 100hp...

once you know you want the IS-F... and since you're looking used, it's safe to say you can't afford a new one.. .you have to decide HOW much you can spend, and what will yo spend to get into an IS-F?

then ask yourself, despite WANTING the IS-F - is it the right purchase for you. if you can afford to have a car that might have $$ repairs, an IS-F would be fun. if you need the peace of mind of a long factory warranty to cover repairs while you are amking car payments, an IS-F that is off warranty might be a bad move...

maybe you can find a slightly newer, somewhat more expensive one that would be CPO? i would think that the IS-F is not exactly flying of the dealer lots... people are being tighter with money, looking for cheaper cars...and $45-50K CPO cars are not exactly selling like hotcakes..amybe you could find one listed at $50k and talk them down to low 40s.. and be out the door for near what you would pay for a new TL?

in general, you will always get TONS more for your money buyign a used car vs new...

i have not read tons on the IS-F, but recall there may have been changes made either in 2010 or 2011 that made the car much much better? you may want to look into what those changes were or hit up the IS-F boards and look into them... see what they have to say about used car purchaes.. years to avoid, things to look out for, etc etc. you can learn tons off those sites...

if it was 45k for a new TL or 45k for a CPO IS-F that had 20-30k miles.. I'd be all over the IS-F.. but that's me. i'd need to have a warranty on the used car though... high performance cars are generally not cheap to maintain and when they go off warranty you will curse them... imagine being oFF warranty and having the tranny go out.. i'll bet it's a $10,000+ repair... buying a used IS-F w/out a warranty and then eating a $10k repair.. yo'd suddently be wishing you bought the TL...

but when you floor the gas and feel 416hp shove your a$$ into the seat, you'll be glad you bought the IS-f... if power/speed is what you want!

good luck. if you buy the IS-F I want a ride!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Lexus is already out of warranty. True, Lexus don't really break that often and you may not even need a warranty. But I'd rather have the piece of mind and drive something that has a warranty. The Lexus will definitely be a funner car to drive compared to the TL though.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
B A N N E D

ISF anyday
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
Couple of points:

1) 2009 IS-F for $34.5k at that mileage is a pretty fair price. Just doing a quick search on comparable cars with lower mileage you're already at $40k. +/-

2) They say average American drives 10-15k miles/year. Not sure when the IS-F was released but lets say mid 2008, you're still over on the mileage.

3) My buddy got a 2010 TL Type SH like mine. He bought his used with ~7,500 miles. He paid before tax $34,800.

4) As somebody mentioned, this is not an apples-apples comparison. You should be looking at the M3 or C63.

5) I still can't get over the fake duel exhaust on the IS-F.
Yea the exhaust is cheezy!!! I like the C63 but I could Really never see myself buying a MB and Defiantly a BMW, just because how much they seem to take a hit on depreciation!!! And their so Bare inside.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docboy
My experience with Lexus has been poor, at least with the IS 250 AWD. I had a 2009 IS I traded in at 4,000 miles b/c the dam car became so painful to drive. Took a financial bath on the trade in for the TL.

My thoughts, though the the 250 and F have vastly different engines:

1) Main complaint: the IS interior is too dam small. painfully small. My initial test drives and previews, the salesman at the stealership had me believing that car would have that "just right" fit and feeling, and that the car and I would have that "sports car" connection.

Initially it was nice, but over time my body and my right leg/hip/knee couldn't stand it anymore. Couldn't drive the dam car without temendous pain.

The back seat, forget about it. Again, too claustrophobic. Seem cozy and comfy at first.

2) Useless nav system, could not use the nav when the car is in motion. My wife sits in the passenger's side and couldn't use it. What's the point of nav then? And the voice system was absolutely horrible. Lexus claims it's for safety issues. Safety my arse...

3) Crappy bluetooth system. People could barely hear me talk when I'm driving, very frustrating and annoying. Useless and nonfunctional bluetooth.

My TL's bluetooth works just fine (same phone).

4) Huge blindspot towards the right rear passenger side

5) After sitting in the driver's seat, the seat bottom felt like a big piece of hard metal.

6) Numerous Toyota/Lexus recalls. Enough said.

7) Unresolved rattle and clicking sound coming from the air vents.

My positives of the IS: Looks nice and ventilated seats, which admittedly are what sold me on the car since I bought during the summer.

Save your money and get the TL instead. Lexus has lost my business. When my wife's RX needs replacing (which is undergoing its 4th recall), we're looking at the Q5, RDX, MDX, or Cayenne.
Wow, this was a big help!!! Those features on the inside are critical for me, and not being able to have a functioning Navi while driving and crappy bluetooth is unacceptable for a lexus, smh, safety my ass, just like when I bought my M45 in October of 07, you couldn't use the navi while driving, I mean, for a $60k you can't enable it???? then voila 4 months later they had the 2008 model which had touch and usable navi while driving, wtf!!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 23109VC
hey everyone.. I have a dilemnna...

should I buy a new toyota Prius... OR a used Ferrari F430...

help me, I can't decide?!?!?!?

ok.. I'm just messin with you man..but your choices are kind of apples/oranges...
a TL is a 35-45k sporty entry level luxury sedan and the IS-F is a $50k+ ultra high performance luxury car.

the TL is on par with a basic 3 series, A4, G35, etc.
the IS-F is compard to the S4/RS4/M3

the real question YOU should ask yourself is which car do you WANT. do you want a TL or an IS-F? i know if it were me, I'd want the IS-F.. it's a way more bad a$$ car than a TL... c'mon.. it only has like an extra 100hp...

once you know you want the IS-F... and since you're looking used, it's safe to say you can't afford a new one.. .you have to decide HOW much you can spend, and what will yo spend to get into an IS-F?

then ask yourself, despite WANTING the IS-F - is it the right purchase for you. if you can afford to have a car that might have $$ repairs, an IS-F would be fun. if you need the peace of mind of a long factory warranty to cover repairs while you are amking car payments, an IS-F that is off warranty might be a bad move...

maybe you can find a slightly newer, somewhat more expensive one that would be CPO? i would think that the IS-F is not exactly flying of the dealer lots... people are being tighter with money, looking for cheaper cars...and $45-50K CPO cars are not exactly selling like hotcakes..amybe you could find one listed at $50k and talk them down to low 40s.. and be out the door for near what you would pay for a new TL?

in general, you will always get TONS more for your money buyign a used car vs new...

i have not read tons on the IS-F, but recall there may have been changes made either in 2010 or 2011 that made the car much much better? you may want to look into what those changes were or hit up the IS-F boards and look into them... see what they have to say about used car purchaes.. years to avoid, things to look out for, etc etc. you can learn tons off those sites...

if it was 45k for a new TL or 45k for a CPO IS-F that had 20-30k miles.. I'd be all over the IS-F.. but that's me. i'd need to have a warranty on the used car though... high performance cars are generally not cheap to maintain and when they go off warranty you will curse them... imagine being oFF warranty and having the tranny go out.. i'll bet it's a $10,000+ repair... buying a used IS-F w/out a warranty and then eating a $10k repair.. yo'd suddently be wishing you bought the TL...

but when you floor the gas and feel 416hp shove your a$$ into the seat, you'll be glad you bought the IS-f... if power/speed is what you want!

good luck. if you buy the IS-F I want a ride!!!
lol Thanks dude, much sense made, I can afford a new one, thing is I just don't think 61K for a small car like that is really worth it. I always liked the IS-F, you bring up a good point about warranty though, believe it or not all my excitement has me blinded by the obvious, I never even thought about the damn warranty!!! And I would probably go on a rampage if something like a transmission or motor failure happens!! Again I thank you for your input, the new IS-f are tuned better and the suspension is better as well, a little toned down as far as the exterior goes, but does has l.e.d. lights in the front I believe

Thanks, and if I do decide to get one, it'll be a 2010 since I've been doing some more research!! And i'll swing by and give you a lift!!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smoothie97
The Lexus is already out of warranty. True, Lexus don't really break that often and you may not even need a warranty. But I'd rather have the piece of mind and drive something that has a warranty. The Lexus will definitely be a funner car to drive compared to the TL though.

Originally Posted by MyTL09
ISF anyday
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

maybe i can shed some light....

Ive owned both

I currently own a 2010 SHAWD TL ive had since July of last year....

Its a long story as to why I traded the ISF in on the TL which I dont want to get into...(long story short, i got a company car for a new job, didnt want my wife driving the F, so we traded both our cars in on a 2010 TL which we share, when im not using my company car, so needless to say it was not my choice to get rid of the F)

My ISF was a 2008, pretty much the same as an 09, I loved the car...

The car I had before was also, like you a 2007 TL Type S (6sp) which i traded in when i got the ISF, fun car but nothing like the ISF

The ISF is hands down the most fun, comfortable and bad ass car ive ever owned, and ever since the day i got rid of it ive been trying to figure out a way to get another one, which I will be doing soon (hopefully)

The comment about the suspension is negligible... its no more uncomfortable and unsettled then the SHAWD TL, i actually prefer a stiff suspension though personally, and the 2010s added the "real" LSD which is a nice upgrade, but the 08-09 ISFs are still a highly capable car, which you will not regret.

The gas mileage is about the same on both, i got 30MPG on the hiway many times in my ISF.

Its a totally different car than the TL, not saying the TL is a bad car, but the type s, and shawd TLs are not even in the same league as the F.

The raw power of the V8, the rumble, the rear wheel drive, the handling, the braking, in every way is FAR superior to either 07-10 TL. The 8sp direct shift tranny is awesome, shifts are quick and extremely crisp, nothing like Acura "paddle shift", this is the real thing. Driving the car was addicting to me.

If you havent driven the F yet, do so, you'll be pleasantly surprised how it transforms into a fire breathing beast when you get on it, and a silent hiway cruiser thats smooth and quiet for everyday driving.

The ISF is not even close to even the is250-350 either, not comparable besides the general shape and size.

51 K is high, but not too bad, id take a 51k ISF any day over a new TL, just check the brakes and tires, cuz they arent cheap to replace, other than that the ISF is bullet proof high miles wouldnt worry me at all.

Now on to your price.... 34500.00 on a 2009 ISF even with 51k sounds damn good, and would like to know where and how you are getting that kinda deal, because I work for Manheim Auctions and recently saw a 2008 and 2009 go through the lanes for well over 40k, yes a bit less miles (20-30K miles) but keep in mind these were wholesale prices.... That price sounds too good to be true unless there is something you arent mentioning about the car...?

Bottom line GET THE IS-F, you will not be disappointed, and if you are a performance minded driver there is no comparison, hands down the ISF is a superior car. EVERYDAY I KICK MYSELF!!! I wish i never got rid of it. Everyday. And as soon as I can im getting another one, and the TL is history.
Not to mention the ISF is a much more prestigious car, they are pretty limited production and your owning something that you wont see very often.

Unless Acura comes out with something with a V8, huge brakes, with REAL performance (aka M3, Audi RS4, C63 AMG) then Id consider the Acura, because as much as I loved my ISF ive always been a Honda guy, and had 3 TLs, 2 TSXs, and 2 Integras.

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!

...of course these are all MY opinions and figured since ive owned all three cars you mentioned on your post id be able to shine some good light...

here are a couple pics of my cars, the 2010 TL ive never taken a pic of, because i just havent that been excited about it...

Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

PS..... there is no ventilated seats on the ISF because it didnt work well with the performance type seats, the sport bolstering ect...

and the navi thing not running while driving is a very very very cheap easy mod. look at a Lexus form, its super easy

one more thing about the navi, it plays DVD movies on the screen while in park which the acura cannot do... and is also an easy mod to make work while driving as well.... FYI
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't forget to check insurance rates between the 2 cars...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

..... insurance was identical for my 08 IS-F, and 2010 SH-AWD TL, through State Farm....
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

also forgot a few things you cant get with the TL the IS-F has... just FYI, i know there are many features the TL has the IS-F doesnt...

but for comparison purposes (im sure there are a few other features too)

-adaptive headlights (lights turn with the car left/right, up/down, except on 2011 they took this away)
-power tilt/telescope steering wheel (you can set with memory settings)
-most IS-F's have parking sensors included (TL is a dealer accessory)
-some have factory headlight washers
-416hp 5.0 V8
-8SPD direct shift tranny
-0-60 mid 4.0 seconds
-mid-high 12.0 second 1/4 mile
-6 piston Brembos
-19" wheels standard (forged sourced from BBS)
-rear drive vs AWD (depends who you talk to which is better, depending where and how you drive it)

yes the car is smaller (however im 6'0" 220lbs and had NO issue with comfort, the size is very subjective to the driver), and no it doesnt have some of the tech features of the 2009 + TL, but at the same time its an older car, there were a lot of tech features the 08 TL didnt have, that the IS-F did...

they are both good cars, and both well built, and both drive nice

but considering you even have the IS-F on your list, that tells me your performance minded, and with that in mind, the IS-F is miles ahead of the TL in that aspect.

warranty covers the drivetrain to 70k FYI

and like i said brakes are pretty spendy, however, i had mine done relatively cheap by, buying the rotors and pads online and installing myself, or i suppose you could pay a 3rd party to do it (outside of the dealership) and its about the same as other brake jobs at that point, tires will be a little more, just because they are 19's. but you can get 30-35k miles out of fresh brakes and tires if you dont take to the track...

overall maintenance is the same as Acura, oil changes, diff fluid changes, all that stuff is the same... gas mileage is about the same as far as im concerned, they both suck if you ask me, but if you baby them you can get good MPG on the freeway of both @30mpg

some stuff you CANT get on IS-F (im sure there are others also)
-ventilated seats (only on 2012 advance TL)
-60 gig hard drive (2012 plus, 40 gig 2011 and below)
-AWD
-blue tooth audio (i think it is on 2010 and up ISF though i believe... could be wrong though)
-USB input (again i think on newer ISF you can get it)

as far as the RECALL thing.... there are plenty of recalls on honda/acura... look it up, just not as big as the infamous toyota one, which was deemed a little over exaggerated (do some research on the subject)

and FYI there are many many high end cars with exhaust DIFFUSERS (not tips) that do not connect to the mufflers ie... ferrari, lamborghini, infact the ferrari California has very similar exhaust to the IS-F. for the record the exhaust tips are connected to the muffler, what your seeing would properly be called diffusers....

just some food for thought

Last edited by jmorton3381; 03-26-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
ISF has a niiiice motor + handling no doubt. But if I was shopping that, I'd forget the scrawny back doors and a find a M3, it's a way better experience all the way around. Or save a wad and get a 11 Stang GT.

No offense to you ISF owners, but out on the highway that thing looks like a cheap ricer, it just looks someone spent a bunch of money on wheels on a piece of IS 250 junk. The money they ask for it is brought down by it's cheap variants. IMHO. Kind of like who needs a four door porsche, it's the two door ones that are all sex.

Also your isf price is probably hiding something, lemon, accident, flood, theft damage, who knows, I would pull a carfax 1, and then put it up on a lift and have someone who knows what to look for, take a black light to it or look at it in the dark up under the wheel wells with a flash light. Where did it live it's life, was it in a state that had some heavy duty flooding?

If your considering the ISF, then I think the TL is just completely out of the question.

Last edited by wakattack; 03-26-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if ur considering the isf and tl due to the similar price ... i would def go with the tl ... if your dropping the same amount of cash might as well get a car with 0 miles on it that performs pretty well and is well balanced compared to a car with 51k miles on it ... just my opinion ofcourse
Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
A suped up corrolla or an Acura, hmmmm.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
A suped up corrolla or an Acura, hmmmm.
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I was thinking the same thing!
Hey did you notice now Toyota is using Scions to create Lexus models? And they are about as cheesy as the Scions are....
Old 03-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey did you notice now Toyota is using Scions to create Lexus models? And they are about as cheesy as the Scions are....
I hadn't seen that but that sounds about right.. Scions are not so easy on the eyes
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Personally I don't see an issue with the 51k miles. I drive 30k miles per year and 80% highway per year. Obviously highway miles are kinder miles on the drive train. These two cars are totally different and if the Lexus has a strong maintenance schedule records and the Car-fax is clean, go for it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Slaymaster
Personally I don't see an issue with the 51k miles. I drive 30k miles per year and 80% highway per year. Obviously highway miles are kinder miles on the drive train. These two cars are totally different and if the Lexus has a strong maintenance schedule records and the Car-fax is clean, go for it.
IMO, 51k on an IS-F "could" be a lot. We don't know how it was run for those miles. The owner could have been a threasher.. as I would have been with a car like that.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
IMO, 51k on an IS-F "could" be a lot. We don't know how it was run for those miles. The owner could have been a threasher.. as I would have been with a car like that.
That's what younger folks tend to do with those type of cars. Certain cars are bought by certain demographics, like Cadillac STS' their owners generally are older folks who cruise slowly.

As far as the Lexus goes, get a Mustang Shelby GT500 not a cramped corrolla on roids and call it a day.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Cruisin'

That's what younger folks tend to do with those type of cars. Certain cars are bought by certain demographics, like Cadillac STS' their owners generally are older folks who cruise slowly.

As far as the Lexus goes, get a Mustang Shelby GT500 not a cramped corrolla on roids and call it a day.
Totally agree! The odds are someone younger would roll with a Mustang.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts

thats a good point, but then it comes back down to why even worry about any of those things when for the same price you can get a brand new car, that is pretty nicely equipped as well, the TL in this case. OP my vote is still for the new car over the used car
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by VQPower37
thats a good point, but then it comes back down to why even worry about any of those things when for the same price you can get a brand new car, that is pretty nicely equipped as well, the TL in this case. OP my vote is still for the new car over the used car

True, but why not get a loaded Accord if we are being sensible and call it a day? The TL and the IS-F are totally in different leagues in regards to performance, so it's not necessarily a point of new or used. Hell, a low mile older Porsche Carrera garage queen can be had for the price of the IS-F. Of course this is only my opinion.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
my next door neighbor has a black IS-F and every time he pulls into his driveway I get extremely jealous. the noise of that IS-F is . he is around 30-35 and married with one kid.

same cannot be said for my elderly neighbor across the street who has a 4G TL.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
my next door neighbor has a black IS-F and every time he pulls into his driveway I get extremely jealous. the noise of that IS-F is . he is around 30-35 and married with one kid.

same cannot be said for my elderly neighbor across the street who has a 4G TL.
Every time I see an IS-F jealously is like no where in the neighborhood. That dude will be like a co-worker of mine in a few years trying to fit a growing kid in his IS. It's the same size as a Corolla. I see the elderly couple and think smart consumers. Practically is a factor, I know folks with with cars similar in size, in fact I have a co-worker, 37, trying to get out of an IS because his kids are too big to fit in the back now. I shake my head wondering what folks are thinking when they have a young family with an Eclipse or small coupe with a child seat crammed in the back.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by VQPower37
New car for the price of a used car, especially one that most folks dog out, makes more economical sense.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pete2010
Damn - a 2009 with 51k miles!! That is crazy.

But I agree with above, two totally different cars. And in that respect, I would choose a new car over an old car. Less issues to deal with...
I kinda feel bad now. I just hit 47k on mine -_-. I think you got your car like a month before me right?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Every time I see an IS-F jealously is like no where in the neighborhood. That dude will be like a co-worker of mine in a few years trying to fit a growing kid in his IS. It's the same size as a Corolla. I see the elderly couple and think smart consumers. Practically is a factor, I know folks with with cars similar in size, in fact I have a co-worker, 37, trying to get out of an IS because his kids are too big to fit in the back now. I shake my head wondering what folks are thinking when they have a young family with an Eclipse or small coupe with a child seat crammed in the back.

forgot to mention in addition to the IS-F, his wife has an RX350. i doubt their little daughter ever sees the back seat of the IS-F haha.

Quick Reply: 2012 TL or 2009 Lexus IS-F